PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week Georgia Sept 2017

mphansen64
08-02-2017, 12:08
I'm a medium experience hiker with (unfortunately) short hike opportunities, so I'm planning a 8-ish day hike on AP in Georgia. I'm planning to leave my car at Springer Mtn parking and head to Blue Mountain Shelter, then reverse (unless I can work out transportation from Teleco gap NC back to Springer).

From what I've read in this and other forums (and experienced on other hikes) I'm planning to both boil and treat drinking, water as time permits. I "assume" there are no potable sources along Georgia AT?

I read a post from 2015 (I think) that suggested the Springer parking site is generally safe; anyone have update or insight?

Any thoughts or insights are certainly welcome.

Mike

MuddyWaters
08-02-2017, 12:11
8 days
Leave vehicle somewhere
Shuttle at start, hike to your car

No need to out and back and waste days

Stone1984
08-02-2017, 13:15
What days you plan on starting? I am going to be on a 10 day in September starting on the 8th

Maineiac64
08-02-2017, 13:36
Use a sawyer filter instead of using fuel to boil water, many good water sources along the way in GA. Should be able to get a shuttle back to Springer parking lot from NC.

cneill13
08-02-2017, 14:41
If you are hiking the Springer to Blue Mountain section, I would park my car at Unicoi Gap and get a shuttle to take you back to Springer.

The Springer parking lot is a pain to get to and it will be the last thing you want to have to deal with after a 7-8 day hike. If you hike back to your car at Unicoi then you can just get in and go.

It will also give you the opportunity to either speed up or slow down your hike without worrying about missing your shuttle.

I have left my car at Unicoi Gap, Woody Gap and pretty much every gap on the Georgia AT for week long hikes and have never had an issue.

bigcranky
08-02-2017, 16:49
No reason to boil water, chemical treatment or a filter will be fine. Boiling water means it takes forever to be able to drink it -- too hot :)

Plenty of shuttle drivers in the area, you can call one and make arrangements in advance to get back to your car when you are done hiking.

Have a great hike!

Maineiac64
08-02-2017, 17:28
If you are hiking the Springer to Blue Mountain section, I would park my car at Unicoi Gap and get a shuttle to take you back to Springer.

The Springer parking lot is a pain to get to and it will be the last thing you want to have to deal with after a 7-8 day hike. If you hike back to your car at Unicoi then you can just get in and go.

It will also give you the opportunity to either speed up or slow down your hike without worrying about missing your shuttle.

I have left my car at Unicoi Gap, Woody Gap and pretty much every gap on the Georgia AT for week long hikes and have never had an issue.

he was going out to blue mtn and back.

Dan Roper
08-02-2017, 17:40
At 51 you're young and strong (unless you're health is an issue or you're seriously overweight). Since you live in Fort Rucker, you might be active military able to do 30 mile hikes in full gear, for all we know. Overall, you will probably do 10-15 miles per day without too much trouble - perhaps more if you're a drill sergeant; perhaps less if you're a bit overweight and more interested in a relaxing trip.

You probably don't want to plan a trip from Springer to Tellico Gap in North Carolina. That's more like 10-12 days for most folks.

Springer is a safe place to park. You should be able to arrange a shuttle from Dicks Creek Gap (US Hwy 76) back to Springer without too much problem. If you're fast and determined, on the last morning of your trip you can leave your pack hidden in the woods at the Gap, hike to the North Carolina line, and then back to the Gap. That's an extra 9 miles or so each way. I had a friend do that once - he called me from the Gap to get me started on the road to pick him up, and while I drove three hours to the Gap, he hiked to the state line and back. Georgia distance from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap is about 66 miles. From Springer to the state line is about 75. Adding the distance back to Dicks Creek Gap is another 9 miles or so.

Lots of good water sources in Georgia. You'll definitely want to filter (or treat) rather than boil. Nobody in their right mind does the latter. At mile 31, you cross US Hwy 129 (Neels Gap), where there's water and a store with food and cold drinks and a hostel. You'll also cross Ga. Hwy. 60 at about mile 21. Same thing: no water, but lots of traffic with a decent shot at trail magic or trail angels providing water or other beverages. And then there's Unicoi Gap (Ga. Hwy 75) at about mile 46 or so. Same thing: no water but lots of traffic with a decent shot at trail magic or trail angels. Same thing at some of the well-used forest service roads, such as Cooper's Gap.

Most of the shelters have reliable water sources even in drought. If things turn dry and little creeks have no water, be sure to stock up where you do find it. Carry at least two liters, maybe more. More often than not, September has hot days, mild or coolish nights, and lots of dry weather. But if you count on that you're sure to draw the occasional thunderstorm or cold front.

Georgia is pretty tough - lots of fairly short, steep climbs and short, steep descents. But the stretch from Springer to Hawks Mountain is pretty gentle - a great way to break in. The stretch from Low Gap to Unicoi Gap is likewise nice. And the Swag of the Blue Ridge, beyond Tray Mountain, is too.

Yellow jackets, thunderstorms, and chaffing are the most likely obstacles. Wear leg-hugging synthetic boxers to minimize chaffing. Rattlesnakes are there but rarely seen. Bears are there but rarely seen.

If you're an experienced backpacker, I'm telling you stuff you don't know. But if you're fairly new to this, acute chaffing will end a beginners trip faster than anything.

Dan Roper
08-02-2017, 17:43
Oops, some mistakes in my list, including "Two liters." Not two liters! Rather, "two quarts."

soumodeler
08-02-2017, 18:24
Oops, some mistakes in my list, including "Two liters." Not two liters! Rather, "two quarts."
A liter and a quart are almost the same thing.

Also, there is water at Woody Gap (GA 60) if you need it.

skater
08-02-2017, 20:46
Definitely filtering is sufficient. No need to boil, at least normally. Water in GA is quite good, actually. Cold and tasty, at most sites.

kestral
08-02-2017, 23:43
Consider getting Guthook's app if you have a smart phone. You only have to buy the section you are using. I like it because it has updated accounts on water availability. I use aqua mir drops for my water because it's super easy and no clogged filter. Have fun!

JBeachSuperStar
08-14-2017, 12:28
How bad are the mosquitoes in this section during summer?

Dan Roper
08-14-2017, 12:52
Mosquitos are never an issue on the Georgia AT.

By September, summer is "over" from a bug standpoint. Ticks are exceedingly rare, as are biting flies and gnats. The only bug that'll hassle you might be yellow jackets.

JBeachSuperStar
08-18-2017, 21:14
Thanks for the intel!