PDA

View Full Version : AT to NYC

AlamoHiker
08-02-2017, 12:39
What's the easiest point on the AT to get to NYC as far as public/mass transit goes?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-02-2017, 12:53
Where on the AT? PA? NY? NJ? CT?

steve_zavocki
08-02-2017, 12:54
I am going there in 2 weeks. There are two good ways to get to the trail. There is a bus to Bear Mt Inn that runs daily, and there is a train to Pawling that stops on weekends. It stops right at the trail. On weekdays you can catch it from the town of Pawling.

tdoczi
08-02-2017, 13:13
theres a million ways. which is quickest im not sure of as it depends on stops and in the case of buses traffic, but closet in miles to NYC would be from the bear mtn area.

there is a train right across the bridge that is probably faster, but i think it is on an infrequent schedule.

Slo-go'en
08-02-2017, 13:27
The is also a commuter bus to/from the Delaware water gap.

The Kisco Kid
08-02-2017, 13:33
The easiest way to NYC is to take the train from the Wingdale Train Station direct to Grand Central Station. It's an easy three mile hitch straight up (north) the Route 22 road crossing. (The Pawling Train station is harder to find). Trains depart hourly to NYC 365 days a year so no need to plan ahead. (The actual Appalachian Trail train stop is for drop offs only, no picking up passengers, and stops there only on weekends.)

I would not recommend taking a bus. It's often hard to know where exactly to catch the bus, there are limited departures, and you'll be taken to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, a less desirable area of town.

AlamoHiker
08-02-2017, 13:57
The easiest way to NYC is to take the train from the Wingdale Train Station direct to Grand Central Station. It's an easy three mile hitch straight up (north) the Route 22 road crossing. (The Pawling Train station is harder to find). Trains depart hourly to NYC 365 days a year so no need to plan ahead. (The actual Appalachian Trail train stop is for drop offs only, no picking up passengers, and stops there only on weekends.)

I would not recommend taking a bus. It's often hard to know where exactly to catch the bus, there are limited departures, and you'll be taken to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, a less desirable area of town.

This may be my best bet then. Thanks for the info!!!

AlamoHiker
08-02-2017, 13:59
Though Bear Mtn. looks closer. But those two were what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch, you sexy hiking badasses!!

tdoczi
08-02-2017, 14:13
this is the train station across the river from bear mountain

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=40&sname=MANITOU

pawling doesnt just look further, it is further. a lot further.

as far as desirable parts of town, grand central and surrounding area is certainly nice, but assuming youre going anywhere other than hanging out near the terminal of your arrival i think most people would pick the west side of town over the east.

Starchild
08-02-2017, 14:38
There is a lot of options from Delaware Water Gap (PA/NJ Border PA side) to Wingdale NY (almost CT). Including the AT Train stop for Metro North (but that is weekends only, but damn convenient if you catch it right, it is one of only 3 train stations directly on the AT - other then that Wingdale is the alternative). Many Bus & Bus to train option. Your closest point is around Bear Mountain (Hudson River), NY which does have bus service and perhaps a place to yogi a ride.

steve_zavocki
08-02-2017, 14:43

This is the first I heard about the train not doing pickups at the trail. Are you 100% sure??? I was planning on using the MTA app to buy the ticket, so they would know to stop. I am finishing my hike on a Sunday afternoon and hoped to catch the train to Grand Cental from there. If I have to hitch I will.

The Kisco Kid
08-02-2017, 15:58
I checked the schedule and it does look like they stop on the AT station on weekends for pickups. They might miss the 20' platform though, so be prepared to hop up!

George
08-02-2017, 16:14
sat and sun mornings are drop off - afternoons are pick ups (flag stop )

so be on the platform and make sure you get the engineer's attention

Starchild
08-02-2017, 16:54
This is the first I heard about the train not doing pickups at the trail. Are you 100% sure??? I was planning on using the MTA app to buy the ticket, so they would know to stop. I am finishing my hike on a Sunday afternoon and hoped to catch the train to Grand Cental from there. If I have to hitch I will.

Don't worry, Drop off only means the time is uncertain, but they will accept you. You just can't count on the advertised time as it might be a few minutes early (and they will leave 3 minutes before they are supposed to arrive). They are simply not expecting passengers here so it is drop and go stop.

steve_zavocki
08-02-2017, 17:34
Thanks all. I will be sure to be on the platform and make sure they see me. On a Sunday evening there are few options. 4:47 PM and 7:21 PM. I will be completing a 2.5 day 46 mile hike so I will be motivated to make the first option. If I barely miss it, I will hitch to Wingdale and find some food.

Another Kevin
08-02-2017, 17:37
Train stations that are (relatively) easy to reach from the trail are Port Jervis, Harriman, Manitou (closer, but Peekskill has more frequent service), Pawling, Appalachian Trail (weekends only), Wingdale. If you don't insist on finishing your section on the A-T proper, the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail goes right up to Tuxedo station. Wingdale is just 3 miles on a major road from the NY/CT state line, so it's popular with sectioners who go state by state.

The Coach USA bus stops at the Assembly of God Church in Port Jervis and the Best Western in Matamoras. Not too difficult to get to from High Point.
The Short Line bus stops at Southfields (where Old Orange Turnpike crosses 17) and at the Harriman train station. On the return trip, the driver will let you off at the A-T crossing if you ask.
The Coach USA bus stops right at the Bear Mountain Inn and near the traffic light in Fort Montgomery.
There's another Coach USA line that stops at the Wal-Mart in Fishkill, but that's not all that easy to get to from the Trail.

Glogg
08-05-2017, 12:41
There is a New Jersey transit bus that you can take from Greenwood Lake, NY to Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC. The town is easily reached via a blue blaze trail off the ridge. The ride is about 2 hours.

NY HIKER 50
08-05-2017, 14:40

I have to put you right on this since I know more about transportation. The trains at Wingdale depart every two hours NOT every hour. To get the bus at Bear Mtn. Inn you have to wait out on the road and the inn people are not that helpful about it. The last bus to NYC in summer is 5:30 PM. The train station in Pawling is not hard to find but you must walk along RT22 and make a turn to another road that takes you right into the heart of town. If you really want a challenge you can walk RT 301 and it goes straight to Fahnstock although the distance is about 8 miles. This is from the Cold Spring station on Metro North.

To get to Wingdale from Wiley Shelter go to Duell Hollow road, walk left to Rt 55, take another left and continue all lefts to Wingdale. . For a train you need to get off the trail and go to wither Tuxedo or Sloatsburg.

This should be considered the bible of transportation for the AT in New York

billreillyjr
08-05-2017, 18:24
Port authority a less desirable part of town is 20 years out of date.it a tourist/business area.Disneyfied

tdoczi
08-05-2017, 22:11
Port authority a less desirable part of town is 20 years out of date.it a tourist/business area.Disneyfied
think of anywhere someone not from NYC will want to go when visiting.

then ask yourself, from where will it be easier to get there from- port authority, or grand central?

grand central is a phenomenal building.... and its about the only thing of any interest to anyone for blocks around in any direction.

shelb
08-07-2017, 21:59
I am going there in 2 weeks. There are two good ways to get to the trail. There is a bus to Bear Mt Inn that runs daily, and there is a train to Pawling that stops on weekends. It stops right at the trail. On weekdays you can catch it from the town of Pawling.

Pawling - Bus stops RIGHT AT THE TRAIL! - can't get better than that! (But note the days/hours)
Bear Mountain Inn - good service too!
There are many other places!
You can even go as far as parts of Mass, and take several bus/transit lines to get there.