PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a date in 2018

ironbutt
08-02-2017, 14:21
I'm going to attempt a thru hike north bound next spring. I'm 63 disabled with a walking limp. I'm currently working out at gym and walking as much as I can. I do weekend hiking & camping trips currently and sleep in a hammock. Other than being a slow walker I think by Christmas I will be in good shape to make a difference? I need some help deciding on a date to start the hump north?

Lone Wolf
08-02-2017, 14:23
april 10th

ironbutt
08-02-2017, 14:26
Why that date? Reasons?

DownEaster
08-02-2017, 14:39
If you're walking with a limp, avoiding slippery snow/ice is probably a good idea, so April makes sense. As a slow walker you don't want to start any later than necessary so you can get to Katahdin by October 15th. You will be in the crowded bubble, for better or worse.

bigcranky
08-02-2017, 16:51
Starting in early April has a few advantages:

1. You have 7 months to make it to Katahdin - plenty of time

2. It's just at the end of the big rush of starting thru-hikers

3. The weather is much better then in March. You'll still want some warm clothing, but not as much, so your pack weight is lighter and you won't spend as much time in town dodging winter storms.

soumodeler
08-02-2017, 16:56
Mid to late April would be my pick. Still have plenty of time, but you avoid the worst of the weather and you are on the downward trend in the bubble.

An alternative thru hike, starting in northern Virginia or Harpers Ferry may be worth considering. You start in easier terrain and work your way into the harder stuff. You get to Katahdin and flip back to GA or where you started and no longer have to worry about winter weather.

DownEaster
08-03-2017, 01:20
Starting in early April has a few advantages:

1. You have 7 months to make it to Katahdin - plenty of time
April - October is 6 months, not 7. October 15th is the usual cutoff, but early snow might give you less time.

boshettee
08-03-2017, 09:45
April the 13th sound good to me. That's a Friday!

DownEaster
08-03-2017, 11:05
Usual practice if you want to avoid being tripped over by the party crowd is to start on a weekday. People flying to get to the trail will tend to arrive more on certain days. From here (http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/22702034/the-cheapest-days-of-the-week-to-fly/):
The universal consensus seems to be that airfares tend to be lowest for flights that depart on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. And from here (https://www.smartertravel.com/2015/03/26/the-2-cheapest-days-to-fly/?source=44525):
On domestic routes, fares for overnight red-eye flights are often lower than for daytime flights—but you have to put up with the miseries of sitting up all night in a tiny economy seat. So my start date of "around March 1" may actually start with a red-eye flight to Atlanta the evening of February 27 (a Tuesday), hitting the Amicalola Falls approach trail the afternoon of February 28, and then the AT proper the next morning on March 1 (a Thursday). That gives me a couple of days to get and stay ahead of that weekend's NoBo party crowd. But of course that's all speculation until I actually lock in my plane ticket this coming winter. From here (https://www.smartertravel.com/2014/03/05/why-you-should-book-your-flight-exactly-54-days-in-advance/):
According to the results of the study, the best time to book a domestic flight is 54 days (or seven and a half weeks) in advance.

peakbagger
08-03-2017, 11:58
Do yourself a favor and do a flip flop out of Harpers Ferry. Its much easier hiking initially than starting in Springer. that means you build up your trail legs in far friendlier terrain and you avoid the crowds down south.

I believe ATCs numbers are flip floppers are far more likely to complete a thru hike.

ironbutt
08-03-2017, 11:58
I'm going to attempt a thru hike north bound next spring. I'm 63 disabled with a walking limp. I'm currently working out at gym and walking as much as I can. I do weekend hiking & camping trips currently and sleep in a hammock. Other than being a slow walker I think by Christmas I will be in good shape to make a difference? I need some help deciding on a date to start the hump north?

Thanks to all. I believe I will start the middle of March..