PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a first week on the AT

Leo L.
08-03-2017, 05:19
It might happen that for an exciting private reason I'll pay Pittburgh, PA a visit.
To make this a perfect event I'm thinking about to add a roughly 1 week hike on the world-famouse AT, just to get a real-life feeling of all this.

I would call myself a seasoned hiker, and while distance, height, heat, wet or cold might not pose seriouse troubles, I would like to pick a section that is (a) easily accessible from Pittsburgh (will have car transport available), and (b) is especially scenic or otherwise typical for the AT. I'm more into nature than into social stuff.

Don't have an idea about date or season when this will happen, just collecting some ideas at the moment.

Bansko
08-03-2017, 07:35
That's great that you want to spend some time on the AT. It isn't very close to Pittsburgh though, since the AT runs through Eastern PA. Check the mileage by car before you commit. Are you thinking of parking your car somewhere and then taking a bus or train back to retrieve it?

BuckeyeBill
08-03-2017, 12:57
What Bansko said is true, wrong side of the state. Plus it is boring driving across PA. You will be closer to the Allegheny Mountains (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_Mountains) which will give you some idea of PA's Mountain ranges.

ranger2012
08-03-2017, 14:40
Harper's Ferry, WV (home of the ATC headquarters) and Front Royal, VA (northern end of Shenandoah National Park) are both under 4 hours driving time from Pittsburgh. 2 great places to get on trail.

Slo-go'en
08-03-2017, 15:25
Unfortunately, the part of the AT which is easily accessible from Pittsburg is less then inspiring. The southern end of PA isn't too bad. Pen-Mar to Duncannon could be done in a week. (84 miles, 142 kM) I don't have many pictures of this area, since it's mostly just a walk in the woods.

The best time for PA is in the late spring (mid April to mid May) before the oppressive heat and humidity of summer sets in and water gets scarce. This section is also reasonably quiet at that time. Usage picks up significantly when thru hikes start to show up in larger numbers in early June. Then school gets out and the camp groups take over the trail.

I've done PA both when it was cool and rainy (spring time) and when it was beastly hot and humid (early summer). The cool and rainy was a much more pleasant walk.

Leo L.
08-04-2017, 04:17
Thanks everybody.
Ranger2012's suggestions should work fine.
Could anyone describe the characteristics of Shenandoah NP with one or two keywords?

Allegheny Mountains and Allegheny Natinal Forest, is this just a name coincidence, or is the A. NF part of the A. Mountains?
Seems to be less crowded, so maybe a good alternative that might suite my personal taste better, but not part of the AT though.

I could rent a car, or borrow one from private, or get a lift. Suppose, public transport will not be really great.
Anyway, I'm just collecting ideas at the moment, in order to have something where to start from when the opportunity comes real.

KnightErrant
08-04-2017, 08:04
Shenandoah in 3 words: Views, milkshakes, bears.

I did most of Shenandoah last summer and I really enjoyed it. It's easier and better-maintained than other parts of the AT, and the views are lovely. Food and other resources are available nearby so you can pack light, but on the AT itself, I still felt pleasantly isolated. I saw 5 bears and a lot of other wildlife. Just avoid the weekend when it gets crowded.

Bansko
08-04-2017, 08:17
As others have said, the PA section of the trail isn"t all that great, but it's still the AT. I'd head south from Harper's Ferry and do Shenandoah NP, or head north from the Delaware Water Gap and explore NJ/NY. Shenandoah NP has plenty of wildlife: Nearly tame deer, plus bears, coyotes, etc., and the rest stops are great for grabbing a meal and resupplying.

ranger2012
08-04-2017, 08:25
Amtrak has service from Pittsburgh to Harper's Ferry.

Leo L.
08-04-2017, 11:20
Thanks again.
My wife got really excited when I told her your descriptions about Shenandoah NP and insists on joining me. Nothing better can happen.

Now I just have to wait until things get rolling...

Hikingjim
08-04-2017, 17:31
yeah, snp would be good if you want some food stops and comparatively easier terrain
If you end up going on your own and want a few less people (and to be further from roads) and a bit more interesting trail, I would suggest going south from waynesboro, va instead. I found it to be better scenery, more challenging, less crowded

RangerZ
08-09-2017, 19:52
It might happen that for an exciting private reason I'll pay Pittburgh, PA a visit.
To make this a perfect event I'm thinking about to add a roughly 1 week hike on the world-famouse AT, just to get a real-life feeling of all this.

I would call myself a seasoned hiker, and while distance, height, heat, wet or cold might not pose seriouse troubles, I would like to pick a section that is (a) easily accessible from Pittsburgh (will have car transport available), and (b) is especially scenic or otherwise typical for the AT. I'm more into nature than into social stuff.

Don't have an idea about date or season when this will happen, just collecting some ideas at the moment.

Being in Pittsburgh will certainly be exciting enough. What neighborhood will you be in?

I'll suggest the AT from Carlisle to Harpers Ferry, about 107 miles. If you need, I'll shuttle you to Carlisle and you can Amtrak back to Pittsburgh.

Alternatively, the Laurel Highlands Trail, 70 miles from Johnstown to Ohiopyle.

Leo L.
08-10-2017, 04:36
Thanks so much for your offer!
My daughter, living in Pittsburgh, is going to buy a house, but so far I dont have any names or areas where this will happen.
She spoke about one of those numerouse houses once built for the steelworkers, which, depending of the state of repair, seem to be quite affordable.
While I very much would like to spend a few weeks over there to help rebuild the house, this is not very realistic.
So instead we're just invited for the housewarming party - and will take the chance to get in touch with the old famous AT.
It might even happen that the young couple will join us in the hike.

Leo L.
08-28-2017, 03:46
Being in Pittsburgh will certainly be exciting enough. What neighborhood will you be in?

As it seems to turn out, this might be in the Brookline area.
Can you give me a hint, if this is a reasonable area to live?

RangerZ
08-28-2017, 22:42
I don't live there but I think Brookline would be a good place to live. It's in the south hills and I live in the east end. No place in the city is real far from another or the Point.

If you google: Brookline Pittsburgh PA , you'll find a lot of sites about Brookline.

This site has more statistics than you want: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Brookline-Pittsburgh-PA.html .

A real estate site but with some info and reviews: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/n/brookline-pittsburgh-pa/ .

Besides anybody's pride in where they live, Pittsburgh is a good place. I mean really, this was MR Roger's neighborhood.

Leo L.
08-30-2017, 15:58
Thanks so much!
Isnt it exciting, my first daughter, her first job, her first house to buy, and hopefully our first week on the AT.