PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Hiking

mrsempeel
08-03-2017, 09:04
I知 planing a 5-6 day hike through part of Massachusetts: starting around Grange Hall Road, going through Dalton, Cheshire, Mount Greylock, Williamstown and up into Vermont.... exact distance will depend on how fast or slow I hike. I知 starting the 23rd of August.

Can anyone tell me how hard the terrain is in that area? Is it going to kick the average hiker butt? Should I expect low milage...? Anything I should look out for? How are the streams flowing? How cool are the nights in that area?

Any info anyone has to impart would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdoczi
08-03-2017, 09:10
I知 planing a 5-6 day hike through part of Massachusetts: starting around Grange Hall Road, going through Dalton, Cheshire, Mount Greylock, Williamstown and up into Vermont.... exact distance will depend on how fast or slow I hike. I知 starting the 23rd of August.

Can anyone tell me how hard the terrain is in that area? Is it going to kick the average hiker butt? Should I expect low milage...? Anything I should look out for? How are the streams flowing? How cool are the nights in that area?

Thanks

hardest part will be the trail north side of greylock, and thats not all that hard. south of the greylock summit is close to easy. north of williamstown is moderate, but climbs in VT dont really happen until north of bennington.

Slo-go'en
08-03-2017, 16:59
All in all, that's a reasonably easy stretch of trail, but there are a few steep but short climbs and descents here and there. The climb up Greylock is the only significant climb you have until you get to Stratton Mt in Vermont (if you get that far). Any recent rain in Vermont can make the trail really muddy. From the few pictures I've seen, it looks like the trail got pretty chewed up with this wet summer.

It's been a pretty hot summer so far, but even still there have been plenty of mornings in the mid 40's. By the end of August low 40's to high 30's can be expected for predawn temps. It will warm up pretty good by mid morning.

Jeff Weill
08-05-2017, 19:36
Hey, I'll be in roughly the same area at the same time. Silly question: As I understand the Mass. AT, we can't camp willy nilly but have to camp near shelters. Are there ample campsites adjacent to those shelters? I'd hate to have to pile into a crowded shelter...

Thanks.

Slo-go'en
08-05-2017, 22:23
Hey, I'll be in roughly the same area at the same time. Silly question: As I understand the Mass. AT, we can't camp willy nilly but have to camp near shelters. Are there ample campsites adjacent to those shelters? I'd hate to have to pile into a crowded shelter...
Some yes, some no.

While the bulk of the thru hikers have passed through MA and VT by the end of August (at least those who have a realistic chance of finishing), a new group shows up to fill up the trail.

The Ivy league collages will be sending their freshman out for bonding trips in the woods at that time. (end of August/beginning of Sept) There will be a group at every campsite in the New England area for a couple of weeks. They typically stay out of the shelters and sleep under a large communal tarp, so they may or may not be a problem.

shelb
08-07-2017, 21:57
I went through MA until Cheshire, ending on July 24. There was plenty of room at the shelters at that time... and water was running great! (Much better than New York!).

MA until Greylock is not difficult... the hills are small and not too many rocks.

Heliotrope
08-07-2017, 22:46
Just did a section from Lee to N Adams early July. Moderate terrain, nothing extreme. Mark Noepel shelter has limited tent sites. Luckily we had room in the lean to. Frequent water sources when we went through but I can imagine some of them drying up in late summer. Don't miss the ice cream shop in Cheshire - right on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falls Down Goes Boom
08-08-2017, 12:34
My sister and I did a section hike from below Mount Wilcox up to Stratton Mountain back at the end of May / beginning of June and I agree that the terrain was not too tough. Other conditions conspired to make it a bit of a grind, which hopefully will not be the case for you. We encountered a lot of cold rain and mud, and when it wasn't raining the black flies were out in force. Definitely not my favorite section of trail. Some observations: trail maintenance in Massachussets seemed to be way better than Vermont. Once we hit Vermont we were walking in mud or water continuously for days. We both thought each other had brought plenty of toilet paper, so we didn't bother loading up, only to discover we were both running short. The privies in Massachussets all were stocked with toilet paper, but once we hit Vermont there was nary a sheet to be found. However, trail magic appeared (in the form of some overnighters who had brought full rolls of toilet paper with them), averting disaster. The rocks coming down Harmon Hill near Bennington are super slippery in wet weather. My sister fell twice. The highlight of the trip was having a typical backpacking breakfast at the shelter before climbing Greylock and then summiting Greylock in beautiful sunshine and having a second breakfast at Bascomb Lodge atop Greylock. Nothing like sitting at a picnic table overlooking the valley eating eggs Benedict and drinking a cold Coca Cola.:banana

TKE402
08-08-2017, 13:25
I did this stretch last year. Terrain is not bad at all. A bit rooty at places but no big deal. Campsites in MA are well maintained with bear boxes. Space was never an issue when I was there but sites would be over %75 full each night. Ran into many types of people (day hikers, Thru hikers, and groups). Water was not an issue. You will also go through a couple of towns where resupply will be easy.

Thanks

mrsempeel
08-08-2017, 16:23
Thanks everyone for the great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethesis
08-08-2017, 17:03
Will be there in early October and looking forward to it.