PDA

View Full Version : planning flip flop from Harper's Ferry

greensleep
08-03-2017, 15:29
I've looked thru the postings for this topic and haven't been able to come up with answers to some of my questions about a flip flop starting in Harper's Ferry. Living in Florida, I'll be flying up there, but don't have any good info. on how to get to Harper's Ferry (nearest airport, shuttle, bus, etc.) and where to stay for a night or two before I get on the trail. Planning to head north, then fly back and head south. Any advice will be welcome. My start will be in early April.

tdoczi
08-03-2017, 15:32
I've looked thru the postings for this topic and haven't been able to come up with answers to some of my questions about a flip flop starting in Harper's Ferry. Living in Florida, I'll be flying up there, but don't have any good info. on how to get to Harper's Ferry (nearest airport, shuttle, bus, etc.) and where to stay for a night or two before I get on the trail. Planning to head north, then fly back and head south. Any advice will be welcome. My start will be in early April.

harper's ferry is, in some ways, a very distant suburb of washington dc, and as such, the best way to get there involves using the infrastructure in place for people who live in that area and go back and forth to DC

kickatree
08-03-2017, 15:33
From Florida. Fly to DC Reagan airport. 20$ cab to Union Station then 13$ Amtrak to Harpers Ferry. It doesn't get any easier. Alternate: Amtrak all the way to HF.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kickatree
08-03-2017, 15:34
A few hostels in town. Towns inn is one and right across from the train station.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
08-03-2017, 17:10
The ATC sponsors a "flip flop kick off" in April, usually the 2nd or 3d weekend. You might want to sign up for this as you'll start out with a dozen or two others which is nice. Don't worry, they will spread out fairly fast. When I did this a couple of years ago, we lost 3/4 of the crowd at the first place you could camp and order pizza from. That was day 2.

As already noted, AMTRAK services Harper Ferry from DC in the evening. There are several hostels and B+B's to stay out. I've stayed at the Teahorse several times. If you decide attend the kick off, make reservations a month or two in advance.

ldsailor
08-03-2017, 17:27
Where in Florida are you? I made plans a couple of weeks ago to go to Harper's Ferry to continue my LASH northward. Here's how I'm getting to Harper's Ferry.

Allegiant from Cleatwater/St Petersburg Airport to Ronald Reagan Airport in Washington DC

Metro from Ronald Reagan Airport to Union Sration in Washington DC

Amtrak from Union Station in Washington DC to Harper's Ferry.

The whole thing will cost me under $90 (not counting baggage cost for Allegiant)

When I researched this I was surprised to find that I had plenty of time between connections. I'll probably stay at the Teahorse Hostel in Harper's Ferry the day I arrive and hit the trail NOBO the next day.

ldsailor
08-03-2017, 17:35
Allegiant from Cleatwater/St Petersburg Airport to Ronald Reagan Airport in Washington DC

Oops! Mixing up plane trips. Sorry about that. I'm taking Southwest Airlines from Tampa International to Ronald Reagan Airport not Allegiant.

Odd Man Out
08-03-2017, 20:01
Good news. SW is way better than Alegent. You can also take the Metro to Foggy Bottom and walk to HF on the C&O Canal (if you have a few extra days). Also note that there are MARC commuter trains from Union Station to HF in the evening rush hour.

greensleep
08-04-2017, 11:36
Many thanks to all of you who responded to my request for infl.. Think I know how to do this now.