PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Highlands Trail

The Solemates
02-02-2006, 14:53
Anyone live near the OHT that would be willing to give me a shuttle the weekend of Feb 17?

chili36
02-02-2006, 15:00
You might post a note on the board at thebackpacker.com/trailtalk

There are a few folks that post there that are near the OHT.

txulrich
02-02-2006, 15:21
Check out the OHTA website. They have a hiking partners section.

http://www.hikearkansas.com/ohta.html

MisterSweetie
02-02-2006, 16:42
Anyone live near the OHT that would be willing to give me a shuttle the weekend of Feb 17?Hey man what's your itinerary, maybe you could pick up another hiker and not need a shuttle? If you're willing, that is.

The Solemates
02-02-2006, 17:56
Hey man what's your itinerary, maybe you could pick up another hiker and not need a shuttle? If you're willing, that is.

im up for that. im planning on leaving friday sometime on the 17th. It will definitely be after 1pm, but also before 5pm. That puts me there sometime friday night, depending on where i decide to go along the OHT. its definitely gonna be an eastern portion of the OHT. (we attempted to thru-hike the OHT a couple years back, and ended up only doing about half of it [as a side note, I would not recommend hiking this trail in the summer!]. ive decided that i am going to complete the remaining miles, which are mainly along the eastern portions.) i may hike in a way in the dark on friday night, or just camp at the TH, depending on how i feel. i plan on hiking 30-40 miles and returning to my car by sunday night for the drive home. it will be just me and my coonhound. lady solemate will be in SC visiting friends. you are welcome to come. please let me know asap so if you cant, i can work out a shuttle.

Timmy Tuckeredout
02-02-2006, 19:04
I hiked the Ouachita trail in AR in October and streams that had been knee deep last year were bone dry. There has been little rain since October, too. Check water availibility before you go or plan to cache water at crossings.

Little Timmy Tuckeredout

neo
02-02-2006, 19:51
Check out the OHTA website. They have a hiking partners section.

http://www.hikearkansas.com/ohta.html

wow cool website:cool: neo

The Solemates
02-03-2006, 11:11
I hiked the Ouachita trail in AR in October and streams that had been knee deep last year were bone dry. There has been little rain since October, too. Check water availibility before you go or plan to cache water at crossings.

Little Timmy Tuckeredout

Im talking about the Ozark Highlands Trail in N and NW AR, not the Ouachita Trail in E OK and W AR. there will be plenty of water on the section i am doing near the buffalo river.

Goalkeeper31
02-03-2006, 14:50
Our friend may have a point about checking water, though. I realize you are talking about the OHT and not the OT, but conditions are very much the same all over the state right now.

The Buffalo sometimes gets dry in the summer here and it was one of the driest summers and autumns in 60 years here in 2005.

If you want the latest conditions on the OHT, call Tim Ernst or email him. He posts regularly on backpacker.com

Check out the Friends of the Ouachita Trail website, too, Neo.

http://www.friendsOT.org

Disclaimer: I am the FoOT webmaster.

Leaving for a thru-hike of the OT tomorrow!