PDA

View Full Version : Mau-Har Trail/Three Ridge Mtn, Va

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 20:50
I need some help. I've volunteered to lead my cousin's family on their first overnighter.. 2 kids, 9 and 7.<gulp>.

I'm considering coming down the Mau-Har trail to Rt 56/Tye River. Mostly down hill and only about 5 or 6 miles.

Besides around Maupin Shelter, are there any good places to pitch a tent farther down the trail. I understand the trail follows a creek partway down. I did a scouting trip Sunday starting from Rt 56. I went about 2 1/2 miles up and didn't come to the creek.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Groucho
02-03-2003, 21:26
Been a long while since I was on the Mau-Har trail, but there were camping spots along the creek then. One spot had a large tent on it. Seems that it is a popular spot particularly when the weather is warm; some nice wading spots. Water might cover camping spots immediately after some good rains?

I went on a loop, finishing S to N, and as I remember, there was a good bit of descent to the creek. Should be do-able though.

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 21:47
Thanks Grouncho, that's what I was looking for.

They will be in my 3 man tent and I'll hammock. Will shoot for a midweek hike to avoid the party crowd.

Hammock Hanger
02-03-2003, 22:24
Hikerhead: If you take the M-H Trail down from the shelter, there is a place to tent and hammock about 2-2.5 miles down. There is a nice little falls there off a large rock. Last year it was steep and overgrown with a lot of blow downs and little maintenance. A little further down the trail is a yellow blaze to the waterfall. HH

Hikerhead
02-03-2003, 22:59
Thanks Cuz ;)

BTW is this the same creek that flows by The Harpers Creek shelter. Ummm, is this Harpers Creek?

Hammock Hanger
02-03-2003, 23:07
but most likely. HH

screwysquirrel
02-20-2003, 11:03
Better keep an eye out for rattlers. Got bit by one in 2000.:mad: