PDA

View Full Version : overnight recommendation NoVa/DC

Uncle Walkie
08-05-2017, 18:51
Hey guys,
Ive been overseas for three years but have have a business trip in Northern Virginia in late Sept/ early Oct. I have one weekend where I think I can squeeze an overnighter on the trail. Can someone recommend a leg? Considerations are how long of a drive to the trailhead and is parking reasonably safe. Probably an out and back turn around (then can adjust distance as desired), but may consider a good loop if you know of one. Im career military and strong hiker.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Semper Fi
Uncle Walkie

Rmcpeak
08-05-2017, 18:56
I'd recommend that top section of SNP. Start or end at Rt. 522... There's a small hostel/BB and there called Mountain Home. They can probably help with a shuttle and parking or try Sharon's Shuttles. You could target another area of the park. If you want a room or campsite in the park, you better start trying to book it now.

devoidapop
08-05-2017, 18:57
Perfect time of year for Shenandoah hiking. Your vehicle will be safe in the park, there are lots of side trails to explore and great waterfalls.

chknfngrs
08-06-2017, 15:00
If not SNP (which is superb that time of year) check out the trail of any point between Manassas Gap and Harpers Ferry. Close by and lovely

Uncle Walkie
08-11-2017, 08:18
Thanks guys.

dcdennis
08-14-2017, 12:55
Go to Old Rag imo. Perfect from DC for a strong Day Hike with good views.

Uncle Walkie
10-08-2017, 20:05
So I did about 34 miles, two nights out. Parked at Thornton Gap and hiked to Swift Run, then hitched back to car. Had a great time, first time back in the mtns in 3.5 years. Since I was on a weekend between business conferences stateside I didnt have my gear (except trust Jetboil). So grabbed a tarp and a wool blanket with my travel daypack and went with it. Excellent investment of time.