PDA

View Full Version : A.T weather app

pickle
08-06-2017, 11:21
What is a good A.T weather app to use-all answer's will be appreciated ✌

Slo-go'en
08-06-2017, 11:59
Appalachian Trail Weather seems to do okay. (and it's the only one I know of). A weather radar app is good to have too.

Tundracamper
08-06-2017, 12:43
Here's what I use for general planning:

https://www.atweather.org

As note above, a good radar app will help you pinpoint rain. The best I have found is RadarScope. I pay $10 a year to also have access to up-to-the-minute lightning data. Even if you don't do that, the regular version is extremely accurate and current with the radar. My understanding is that this app uses the same feed as the TV stations. So, it's about as accurate as you can get. Turn on storm tracks and you can see where it's going.

DownEaster
08-06-2017, 13:17
Is that app worth getting if you only have data access in towns (WiFi yes, cellular data no)?

Tundracamper
08-06-2017, 13:53
Is that app worth getting if you only have data access in towns (WiFi yes, cellular data no)?

Do you know of any app that can give you a weather or radar forecast without data access? If you do, please let me know. I'd love to know an accurate forecast for the weather in September now.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2017, 14:56
Do you know of any app that can give you a weather or radar forecast without data access? If you do, please let me know. I'd love to know an accurate forecast for the weather in September now.

Nope, you need data access to get real time weather info. If you only have wifi access in town, the best you can do is to get the 36 hour or 10 day forecast for the town your in and hope it's reasonably accurate for the next few days until you get to the next town.

The AT weather app will give you the forecast for the next couple of days and you can get the weather for any shelter on the trail. That will give you a clue what to expect.

Want an accurate forecast for September now? Got a crystal ball?

DownEaster
08-06-2017, 19:13
Nope, you need data access to get real time weather info. If you only have wifi access in town, the best you can do is to get the 36 hour or 10 day forecast for the town your in and hope it's reasonably accurate for the next few days until you get to the next town.
I understand this, but it still doesn't answer my question. Is the app worth getting if I only have a forecast roughly every 3 days when I visit a town with WiFi? The alternative is no forecast other than gazing at the sky and guessing.

TwoSpirits
08-06-2017, 19:27
The AT Weather app is free.

bretn
08-06-2017, 21:06
Not an app....but my favorite weather link https://www.weather.gov/ Find your location and get accurate weather and radar. gonna need internet access...

Miner
08-06-2017, 21:40
As I used the Postholer.com website for my long distance trail journals, I use their android app which not only allows me to post updates to my journal from my phone, but also shows me weather forecasts, either at my location or by choosing various trail locations along whatever trail I have it setup for. This includes the Applachian Trail. The drop down list of choices does tend to be town centric though.

Then again, the accu-weather app's widget I have set up on my homescreen gives me a multi-day forecast for my current location (or rather the nearest town) and when touched takes me to a detailed weather page which includes radar maps. I found using that good enough for my AT hike a few years ago. Usually checked it heading out of town and assumed it was good for 2-3 days. Any longer and I would want to check it again on the trail somewhere; not usually a problem with Verizon getting a digital data cell signal in a section at some point.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2017, 21:49
I understand this, but it still doesn't answer my question. Is the app worth getting if I only have a forecast roughly every 3 days when I visit a town with WiFi? The alternative is no forecast other than gazing at the sky and guessing.

Of course it's still worth getting. You want to know what kind of weather conditions to expect during the next couple of days and plan accordingly. But if your like me, you'll quickly forget the details and have to gaze at the sky and guess anyway :) But at least you have some idea of what to expect.

But real time radar is worth whatever it costs to get it. I use a cheap TracFone and $20/90 day plan. It's really nice to know that if you sit tight for another 1/2 hour, the rain will pass or if you'd better get your butt in gear to avoid what's coming.