PDA

View Full Version : Damascus To Pearisburg VA Options

tawa
08-06-2017, 16:40
Have hiked AT to Damascus /Northbound and have hiked from Pearisburg--actually Woods Hole Hostel to Rocky Gap VA 601.
So want to hike from Damascus to Woods Hole Hostel to complete this section. Does not matter to me if I hike North or South.
Will be travelling in from Southern IN.
Sept or October options are when I would be hiking.
Please give me advice on this section----How long would it take a moderate hiker to complete? Advantages /Disadvantages of going North or South on this section. Options for getting to start of trip--shuttles--bus etc
Would also like to hear your thoughts on resupply options through this area and number of days food to pack for.
What degree bag would u use during this periond and which month would you prefer to start Sept or October.

Any information or advice on this section would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2017, 17:51
This is a pretty bumpy section of trail, so it might be harder then you might expect. There is a little ridge walking (with the usual microbumps which don't show up on the profile and plenty which do) but a lot of it your cutting across the grain of the ridges, so up and over one, then another and another and another...

SOBO is probably a little easier as the longer ridge walks are on the north end. 150 miles give or take, budget at least 10 days but 14 might be more comfortable. Daylight hours are starting to get a little shorter.

Resupply is pretty cut and dried. Going NOBO, the first stop is Marion. (62 miles)
You can get a few things at Atkins the next day. (12 miles Lunch at the Barn, a few extra snacks at the convenience store)
Next stop is Trents Grocery. (63 miles) Woods Hole is only another 15 miles from Tents, so lunch (they have a grill) and a dinner and breakfast will all you need to get there.

I would imagine it will still be pretty warm there in either Sept or Oct.

Lone Wolf
08-06-2017, 18:04
go SOBO. i may be able to shuttle you depending on the day and time

carouselambra
08-06-2017, 20:22
This is a pretty bumpy section of trail, so it might be harder then you might expect. There is a little ridge walking (with the usual microbumps which don't show up on the profile and plenty which do) but a lot of it your cutting across the grain of the ridges, so up and over one, then another and another and another...

SOBO is probably a little easier as the longer ridge walks are on the north end. 150 miles give or take, budget at least 10 days but 14 might be more comfortable. Daylight hours are starting to get a little shorter.

Resupply is pretty cut and dried. Going NOBO, the first stop is Marion. (62 miles)
You can get a few things at Atkins the next day. (12 miles Lunch at the Barn, a few extra snacks at the convenience store)
Next stop is Trents Grocery. (63 miles) Woods Hole is only another 15 miles from Tents, so lunch (they have a grill) and a dinner and breakfast will all you need to get there.

I would imagine it will still be pretty warm there in either Sept or Oct.

I was through that area a little over a month ago and Woods Hole would only serve food to the folks staying there. It has to do with their license as a B&B. We had some folks walk down there for lunch and found that out the hard way. I think some bars and some sodas was all they could buy.

SteelCut
08-07-2017, 08:52
I did Damascus to Pearisburg about 6 weeks ago and the only thing I have to add for resupply is that at the Bland VA road crossing is a new store, Brushy Mountain Outpost, with a grill and short-term hiker resupply (ramen, Knorr Sides, energy bars, cold drinks, etc). It probably eliminates the need for a trip into Bland if you are going NOBO.

https://www.facebook.com/BrushyMountainOutPost/

FlyPaper
08-07-2017, 09:37
FWIW:

http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DV&k2=EV&h=aa679b81&year=2017

LittleRock
08-07-2017, 14:28
Please give me advice on this section----How long would it take a moderate hiker to complete? Advantages /Disadvantages of going North or South on this section. Options for getting to start of trip--shuttles--bus etc
Would also like to hear your thoughts on resupply options through this area and number of days food to pack for.
What degree bag would u use during this periond and which month would you prefer to start Sept or October.
Great section hike! Grayson Highlands is spectacular, and Damascus/Woods Hole are great places to start/end.

I'd recommend going SOBO, 1st half of October. SOBO mainly because the first resupply is at least 5 days north from Damascus. Also the terrain will be easier starting out if you go south. 1st half of October is cooler, but not cold, the bugs are mostly gone, and it is prime time for fall colors in Grayson Highlands.

I'd plan on 12-14 total hiking days, with resupply in Bland after 3 days, then Marion/Atkins 4-5 more days, then 5-6 days to Damascus.

Avoid the motel in Atkins. It is disgusting.

tdoczi
08-07-2017, 19:22
the first resupply is at least 5 days north from Damascus.
i hiked from damascus to partnership shelter (at which access to resupply is easy, though not directly on the trail) in basically 3 days (a short day, 2 long, and a short). i didnt resupply as i stopped my hike there, but carrying enough to make it that far was hardly a challenge.

Rmcpeak
08-09-2017, 14:15
I did Damascus to Woods Hole (sort of) last year. Wood's Hole close on short notice which was a bummer. Not so bad for me -- I got a ride into town, but a real hassle for some of the other hiker's I was with who were hoping to stay and who had boxes shipped there. Woods Hole is a beautiful charming place, but they seem to be a bit flaky. I had called less than one week prior to my arrival to confirm they would be open as I had hoped to spend the night there at the end of my hike and get picked up by my wife the next morning. I was assured they would be open and offer full service. Nope. The previous summer I did a northbound section from there and same deal, only partially "open." A couple of thru hikers there at the end of my hike were disappointed.... Anyway, based on my experience, I would not count on Woods Hole for anything. If they are open, great, if not, have a plan B. You could probably road walk towards town and hitch a ride....

About the hike:

If the Barn Restaurant is still open stop and eat there and maybe even have a resupply shipped to yourself there....
The Relax Inn next to the Barn is terrible and not worth the $47. Eat at the Barn and then walk on and camp up the trail
Don't pass by Dismal Falls. One of the best swimming holes on the trail.
Trent's Grocery is not exciting unless you are starving or in dire need of a cold drink.
The hiker room at the Holiday Motel in Pearisburg worked out well for me (I stayed there instead of Woods Hole). There's a Goodwill across the street where I bought a change of clothes for $5. The Mexican Restaraunt was good.

Here's my notes: https://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/07/damascus-to-woods-hole.html

Rmcpeak
08-09-2017, 14:21
More thoughts: I like Woodchuck's in Damascus. I got dropped off there the night before my hike. The Mt. Rogers visitors center has a nice bathroom, very basic snacks for sale, but does have a soda machine so have a couple bucks ready for that. Chestnut Ridge is a beautiful spot but water up before you get to the top. As I recall there is a spring at the south end of the pond on the way up, or maybe it was a spring on the trail partway up the mountain. Long story short: get water before you get to the shelter, there's no water up there.