PDA

View Full Version : Caratunk-to-Katahdin Sept 1-15, 2017

Rain Man
08-07-2017, 12:24
Well, I'm back at it again. Just knocked off Vermont in July. Plan to knock off the rest of Maine in September. Here's my tentative itinerary. Feel free to critique, advise, warn, support, comment, and generally give feedback, if you are so moved. Also, feel free to come out and join me/us for a day (or more!) or just to meet. I love meeting fellow WhiteBlazers.

I am hiking with some fellow hikers from Tennessee, most of whom are flying home after the first weekend (Labor Day weekend). A couple are continuing on with me to do the Hundred Mile Wilderness. We plan to finish on Friday of the Trails End Festival in Millinocket, so hope to be there for that. The three of us will fly home on that Monday, the 18th. All clear as mud? Maybe the below will help. (Hoping to arrange a re-supply in the HMW.)

8-31 - Fly to Boston. Teacher shuttles us to The Sterling Inn in Caratunk.

Caratunk - to - Monson 36.7 miles in 4 days avg 9.2 mpd

Sept 1 - 4, 2017 Friday through Monday (Labor Day)

9-1 Friday 5.2 miles from Caratunk to Boise-Cascade Logging Road near Pleasant Pond Lean-to (SLACKPACK)

9-2 Saturday 9.5 miles from Boise-Cascade Road to "AT Road" at Bald Mountain Brook Lean-to. (SLACKPACK) Plans are a little "iffy" as to whether Teacher can meet us at the "AT Road" at Bald Mtn Brook. She's going to drive it that day to see. If she can't drive that road, she'll meet us at Moxie Pond Road, which is a couple of miles earlier, and give us our packs.

9-3 Sunday 13.0 miles from Bald Mtn LT to Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to (or camp along trail)

9-4 Monday 9.0 miles from Horseshoe Canyon LT to Monson/Hwy 15 (with opportunity to SLACKPACK and/or bail-out at 2.7 mi and 5.7 mi for those who want). Spend night at The Lakeshore House.

9-5 Tuesday ZERO day in Monson for 3 of us continuing into the Hundred Mile Wilderness the next day. Rest of crew shuttle back to Boston and fly home.

Sept 6 - 15 Monson - to - Katahdin Stream Campgound in 10 days avg 10.9 mpd

Hundred Mile Wilderness & more: 109.3 miles in 10 days for 10.9 mpd avg

9-6 Wednesday 15.1 miles Monson/Hwy15 to Long Pond Stream Lean-to

9-7 Thursday 10.9 miles from Long Pond Stream LT to Chairback Gap Lean-to

9-8 Friday 11.7 miles from Chairback Gap LT to Sidney Tappan Campsite

9-9 Saturday 9.0 miles from Sidney Tappan CS to East Branch Lean-to

9-10 Sunday 16.0 miles from East Branch LT to Antlers Campsite

9-11 Monday 6.1 miles from Antlers CS to White House Landing NERO

9-12 Tuesday 7.5 miles from Whitehouse Landing to Wadleigh Stream Lean-to

9-13 Wednesday 11.9 miles from Wadleigh Stream LT to Rainbow Spring Campsite

9-14 Thursday 11.2 miles from Rainbow Spring CS to Abol Bridge Campsite

9-15 Friday 9.9 miles from Abol Bridge CS to Katahdin Stream Campsite

9-16 & 17 Saturday & Sunday in Millinocket at Trail's End Festival (climb Katahdin if desired) Also, these are spare days in event we need extra time to finish.

9-18 Monday - shuttle to Boston and fly home.

This will leave me just under 20 miles to complete the entire AT, from Bears Den hostel in Virginia to the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry, WV. Currently, I plan to do that hike over Columbus Day Weekend in October. :)

illabelle
08-07-2017, 13:48
Looks like we'll miss you, but you may be walking in our footprints. We're finishing up the HMW and more (66 miles from KIW to Caratunk) starting Aug 27, then shuttle to Rangeley for another 45 or so. Fly home Sep 7. I hope you enjoy your trip. Maine is wild and beautiful.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 13:59
Looks like we'll miss you, but you may be walking in our footprints. We're finishing up the HMW and more (66 miles from KIW to Caratunk) starting Aug 27, then shuttle to Rangeley for another 45 or so. Fly home Sep 7. I hope you enjoy your trip. Maine is wild and beautiful.

If you guys are heading SOBO then we should intersect. I'd like to be around for that. Any chance you could PM me your itinerary?

Heliotrope
08-07-2017, 14:06
Looks like I'll miss both of you guys. Heading south from Abol bridge on Aug 25th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
08-07-2017, 14:20
If you guys are heading SOBO then we should intersect. I'd like to be around for that. Any chance you could PM me your itinerary?

done.......

Rain Man
08-07-2017, 14:40
Looks like I'll miss both of you guys. Heading south from Abol bridge on Aug 25th.

Why would you expect to miss me? Unless you are EXCEEDINGLY fast, we're bound to cross paths between Caratunk and Abol Bridge.

Rain Man
08-07-2017, 14:44
Awol lists "AT Road" at Bald Mtn Brook Shelter. Is that road accessible and passable with a car? The ATC map shows it but uses a code that means impassable, but that map is years old now.

Thanks in advance.

Heliotrope
08-07-2017, 16:09
Why would you expect to miss me? Unless you are EXCEEDINGLY fast, we're bound to cross paths between Caratunk and Abol Bridge.

We're planning to make it to Monson by Sept 1st. And ending the section there. Would love to go through to Caratunk. It's a very pretty section IMO

Slo-go'en
08-07-2017, 16:31
Awol lists "AT Road" at Bald Mtn Brook Shelter. Is that road accessible and passable with a car? The ATC map shows it but uses a code that means impassable, but that map is years old now.
The AT crosses a road called "Trestle Road" on the west side of Joes Hole (Moxie pond outlet crossing). There are some camps near there, so that road should be passable. The next road crossing which might be the "AT road" looks to be a logging road which feeds a maze of side roads and that area looks to be extensively clear cut on google maps, so it's had a lot of activity and is probably pretty beat.

Hum, it looks like you can get to the upper end of Trestle road via "Moxie Pond Road" off of 201 and is paved to the pond. Trestle road follows along the pond south and eventually crosses the AT after about 8 miles. Trestle road eventually leads to what I think is the AT road referenced, but that's a real roundabout road which feeds a lot of logging cuts. I would stay off of that road, especially if there is still any logging going on off of it.

egilbe
08-07-2017, 18:21
The AT crosses a road called "Trestle Road" on the west side of Joes Hole (Moxie pond outlet crossing). There are some camps near there, so that road should be passable. The next road crossing which might be the "AT road" looks to be a logging road which feeds a maze of side roads and that area looks to be extensively clear cut on google maps, so it's had a lot of activity and is probably pretty beat.

Hum, it looks like you can get to the upper end of Trestle road via "Moxie Pond Road" off of 201 and is paved to the pond. Trestle road follows along the pond south and eventually crosses the AT after about 8 miles. Trestle road eventually leads to what I think is the AT road referenced, but that's a real roundabout road which feeds a lot of logging cuts. I would stay off of that road, especially if there is still any logging going on off of it.

Its Troutdale rd. Its a good dirt road all the way from Moxie pond by the dam, to rt 201. Its semi-maintained by the pond residents

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 19:10
The road we're talking about meets Trestle Rd south of Moxie Pond and meanders northeast to w/in 100 ft or so of the Bald Mtn Brook Shelter. I'm pretty sure Troutdale runs south to Rt 16. / Rt 201/

On google maps (satellite is best) find the first intersection below the AT/Trestle Rd crossing. Head northwest and follow until the shelter is clearly visible, and a road crossing will be on the right. That's the one we need an update on.

tdoczi
08-07-2017, 19:20
though i have hiked through there not long ago, i cant say anything about any roads worth anything.

but for a different perspective ill throw out this thought-

there really is nothing about the difficulty of the terrain preventing you from ending the day at moxie pond road and continuing the next day from there and still make monson on time easily.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 19:52
though i have hiked through there not long ago, i cant say anything about any roads worth anything.

but for a different perspective ill throw out this thought-

there really is nothing about the difficulty of the terrain preventing you from ending the day at moxie pond road and continuing the next day from there and still make monson on time easily.

This is true. But I'd like my slackpacking plan to get as close to the shelter at which we'll all be staying as possible. They can easily grab their gear and carry it to the shelter for the night, but I would be unable to join them if I can't get within reach with my car. Thus, our hope for a passable road.

Slo-go'en
08-07-2017, 20:11
The road we're talking about meets Trestle Rd south of Moxie Pond and meanders northeast to w/in 100 ft or so of the Bald Mtn Brook Shelter. I'm pretty sure Troutdale runs south to Rt 16. / Rt 201/
On google maps (satellite is best) find the first intersection below the AT/Trestle Rd crossing. Head northwest and follow until the shelter is clearly visible, and a road crossing will be on the right. That's the one we need an update on.
Not worth the risk. Also, that road might be gated. Most likely a skimobile trail in the winter. You only shave off 2.8 easy trail miles by driving 10 or 15 on a really nasty road which is hell on a sedan. Even from the satellite image, I could see rocks in the road and several one lane plank bridges over streams of unknown condition. It will take longer to drive around then to walk. The ride down along Moxie pond will be bad enough.

tdoczi
08-07-2017, 20:26
This is true. But I'd like my slackpacking plan to get as close to the shelter at which we'll all be staying as possible. They can easily grab their gear and carry it to the shelter for the night, but I would be unable to join them if I can't get within reach with my car. Thus, our hope for a passable road.

so the road needs to be not just passable, but with parking near the shelter?

tdoczi
08-07-2017, 20:28
Not worth the risk. Also, that road might be gated. Most likely a skimobile trail in the winter. You only shave off 2.8 easy trail miles by driving 10 or 15 on a really nasty road which is hell on a sedan. Even from the satellite image, I could see rocks in the road and several one lane plank bridges over streams of unknown condition. It will take longer to drive around then to walk. The ride down along Moxie pond will be bad enough.
i guess that was my point exactly. i dont quite see why much effort should be expended over 2.8 miles of what i remember being pretty easy trail. technically do able or not.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 20:56
so the road needs to be not just passable, but with parking near the shelter?

No, not all of them...just this one.

tdoczi
08-07-2017, 21:23
not sure what you mean by all of them but i guess i'm not seeing what you plan on doing with your car if yu manage to get it close to the shelter. just leave it sitting in the woods? is there a LNT principle that applies to creative car parking?

egilbe
08-07-2017, 22:02
Oh, I see. Google maps has the road misnamed. Trestle rd is Troutdale.

Now that I have that clear in my mind, just before you get to the shelter, going sobo, there is a dirt rd. Im going to guess its Bald mountain rd that comes from the North. Its not gravel.

Slo-go'en
08-07-2017, 22:06
Now that I have that clear in my mind, just before you get to the shelter, going sobo, there is a dirt rd. Im going to guess its Bald mountain rd that comes from the North. Its not gravel.

With Google Earth you can see a whole network of logging roads through that area. You got to know exactly where your going. Logging roads tend to be really rough.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 22:41
not sure what you mean by all of them but i guess i'm not seeing what you plan on doing with your car if yu manage to get it close to the shelter. just leave it sitting in the woods? is there a LNT principle that applies to creative car parking?

I misread your response as "roads need" not road needs....thus my "not all of them". I plan to park my car as near to the shelter as possible and either sleep in it, or camp at the shelter with the others for that night. The next morning we part company for as many days as they are inaccessible by road, 2, and I head to Monson to await their approach.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2017, 22:44

Are you sure about it coming from the north? What I see indicates it originates at Trestle Rd and heads northeast.

Rain Man
08-08-2017, 09:26
We're planning to make it to Monson by Sept 1st. And ending the section there.

Ahhh. Missed that little fact. My bad.

Slo-go'en
08-08-2017, 11:35
I'm not sure if that snark is for me or for Rain Man, whose thread this is, but it's non-productive. Do you know the current condition of the road in question? If not, let's move on.

Apparently none of us do.

I still don't recommend trying. At least not without a high clearance pickup truck and 4WD. Logging roads are rough. If you put a hole in your oil pan, blow out a tire or get to a place where the road is washed out from all the rain this summer, your stuck. Getting a tow truck in there will be a small fortune. Find out who owns the land, find out if there is active logging in there and see if you can even get permission to drive on that road. It is private after all.

Regardless, you can try it and see how far you get, but turning around if you have to can be next to impossible and driving backwards until you find a place you can isn't fun.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-08-2017, 13:46
Apparently none of us do.

Enough said...literally.

TJ aka Teej
08-09-2017, 11:23
This will leave me just under 20 miles to complete the entire AT, from Bears Den hostel in Virginia to the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry, WV. Currently, I plan to do that hike over Columbus Day Weekend in October. :)
Wicked! Have fun, Rain Man!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-23-2017, 01:20
Rainman, thanks to a post by D2maine in my other thread about the location of Bald Mtn Brook Lean To, I believe I know have the info we need for the road close to the shelter. According to this reporter from the Bangor Times (video link attached), the road is passable by car and there is nearby parking. The directions match up with what I had charted, so I'm fairly confident we're good to go on this day's slackpack!

Of course I'll still meet you guys at Trestle Rd to confirm.

google satellite is correct, that is Bald Mt Brook lean to.
the road is passable with a car but get a maine gazeteer like egilbe linked too
here is a link to a vid that hikes up moxie bald from that road...http://actoutwithaislinn.bangordailynews.com/2015/05/27/one-minute-hikes/1-minute-hike-moxie-bald-mountain-near-the-forks/

tiptoe
08-23-2017, 09:00
Hope your hike goes well, Rain Man. Just got back from Maine last week. Beautiful section, trail not as tough as southern Maine. Bring your bug repellent, especially for the Rainbow Lake area and just north of Abol Bridge.

Rain Man
08-23-2017, 09:49
Beautiful section, trail not as tough as southern Maine.

Music to these ears!!!

Deacon
08-23-2017, 11:09
Hope your hike goes well, Rain Man. Just got back from Maine last week. Beautiful section, trail not as tough as southern Maine. Bring your bug repellent, especially for the Rainbow Lake area and just north of Abol Bridge.

Yep, the mosquitoes are most aggressive thefirst two miles north of Abol Bridge.

Rain Man
08-23-2017, 15:58
Yep, the mosquitoes are most aggressive thefirst two miles north of Abol Bridge.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! LOL

(Thanks for the warning. Sigh.)

D2maine
08-27-2017, 17:08
Rainman, thanks to a post by D2maine in my other thread about the location of Bald Mtn Brook Lean To, I believe I know have the info we need for the road close to the shelter. According to this reporter from the Bangor Times (video link attached), the road is passable by car and there is nearby parking. The directions match up with what I had charted, so I'm fairly confident we're good to go on this day's slackpack!

Of course I'll still meet you guys at Trestle Rd to confirm.

tried to pm this to you t and s but your pm inbox is full....

fyi i drove up to bald mountain brook lean-to today and the main road is passable with any car, but the side road up to the lean-to would be passable most of the way with any car and some very careful route finding. the but is about 1/2 mile from the lean-to there is a washout of 2 culverts, its not bad but if your vehicle has low clearance you may not make it past that spot. if you have any kind of clearance, l.e. subaru or suv, or crossover ect you can make it past that spot.

questions drop me a pm and if you need assistance on saturday i may be available to ferry you up there...

lastly have a good hike i love moxie bald its a great dayhike from the lean-to you can make a lollipop hike out of it with the bypass trail. also go out the north peak trail, it should be just reblazed this year(new maintainer was added for it this spring) it splits off from the AT north of the north junction with the bypass trail...

Rain Man
09-05-2017, 13:43
Made it to Monson just fine yesterday. Lots of thru-hikers. Taking my planned ZERO today. My Caratunk-to-Monson crew left this morning to go home. Another Nashville hiker is arriving today to hike the rest of the way with me. Looks like rain the next couple of days. Many water sources are dry.

Having fun!

TJ aka Teej
09-05-2017, 14:39
Made it to Monson just fine yesterday.
Excellent! Be sure to say hi to Wendy and Kim at the ATC field office!

Rain Man
09-05-2017, 21:23
Excellent! Be sure to say hi to Wendy and Kim at the ATC field office!

Have spoken with both. Also saw Kim on trail.

Rain Man
09-15-2017, 20:51
Finished the Hundred Mile Wilderness today! At AT Lodge for Trails End Festival in Millinocket now. Life is good.

illabelle
09-16-2017, 06:07
Finished the Hundred Mile Wilderness today! At AT Lodge for Trails End Festival in Millinocket now. Life is good.

Congratulations Rain Man! That's an accomplishment for sure. We did 70 miles of the Wilderness last year and finished it this year. Still have several miles to do near Rangeley and south of Andover. I used to be intimidated by Maine, but now that I've been there, I know it's hard - and beautiful! and fun!

Heliotrope
09-16-2017, 08:13

Congratulations! Favorite places along the way?

Suzzz
09-16-2017, 12:22
Made it to Monson just fine yesterday. Having fun!

So it took you five days from Caratunk to Monson? Just asking because I got out at Moxie Pond and was hoping to take a weekend and return to finish at Monson. 3 days sounds about right then?

Suzzz
09-16-2017, 12:26
Oooops sorry, I just noticed that it took you 4 days and not 5 from Caratunk to Monson. I can still do this on an extended weekend trip though. Drive up Friday, hike Saturday and Sunday, drive home on Monday!

Rain Man
09-16-2017, 13:47
So it took you five days from Caratunk to Monson? Just asking because I got out at Moxie Pond and was hoping to take a weekend and return to finish at Monson. 3 days sounds about right then?

Took about 3.5 days or a little less, though we hiked part of 4 days. First and last were short.

Rain Man
09-16-2017, 13:51
Congratulations! Favorite places along the way?

Two that pop to mind are the setting for Logan Brook Falls Lean-to and sunrise over Katahdin from Mt. Nesuntabunt with Nahmakanta Lake far, far below.

Heliotrope
09-16-2017, 19:15
Nesuntabunt does have glorious views. My favorite is Third mountain

u.w.
09-16-2017, 20:26
Congrats on knocking out this section Rain Man! and I hope you get great weather for your remaining section.

u.w.