PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a 35-ish liter pack?

MDHerron
08-07-2017, 20:09
I'm currently using an REI Trail 40 (https://www.rei.com/product/880839/rei-co-op-trail-40-pack-mens) for one or two night trips. It's a lovely bag (and the price is right), but at 46 oz., it's just about exactly 1/4 of my ~12 lbs. base weight*. For summer camping, it's also more space than I need. With everything I've done to shave ounces, it seems like a lighter bag is low-hanging fruit to save a pound or more. I've eyeballed some of the Zpacks packs, and everyone here seems to love the ULA Ohm 2.0. The Zpacks Nero (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/nero.shtml) calls calls to me in the evenings ("Twelve ounces!", it cries), but I see lots of warnings that frameless packs aren't for everyone.
I would still have the Trail 40 for longer and winter trips, but I feel like I'm carrying more bag than I need for weekenders.
I would love any suggestions.
*I could trim a pound by leaving my fishing gear behind, but let's not get crazy.

Starchild
08-07-2017, 20:20
12 lb base weight is still internal frame to me, as you are really talking 15+ for a overnighter 'scale on trail' (actual weight carried - regardless of what the spreadsheet says, sometimes I've heard called 'reality check weight' ).

As such the Osprey Exos 38 (IIRC) fits the bill, and stripped of it's brain and water sack goes under 2 lbs (again IIRC)

soumodeler
08-07-2017, 20:25
If you could find an older generation ZPacks ArcBlast in the small size (I forget exact size but it was less than 50) that would be perfect. Less than 1 pound, with frame, and carry loads up to 25lbs easily.

You can always cinch a pack down to remove extra volume. Not so easy the other way...

cmoulder
08-07-2017, 20:45
I have two older style Arc Blasts (52 liter) and they work well for much smaller loads... roll the top down a bit more, cinch the compression cords down a bit and they could be mistaken for day packs. (IIRC the older style small one was nominally rated at 45 liters... and there was also another model called Arc Slim)

That said, I also have a custom Zero with features almost identical to the Nero (minus the new top closure, which I actually don't like) and use it when the load is going to be really light, as it often is this time of year.

Heliotrope
08-07-2017, 22:28
Gossamer Gear Gorilla. I purchased this after hauling 34 lbs in my frameless, hip belt less pack and have been very happy. Can haul a week of food easily. Has excellent compression for small loads. It can also be stripped to 18oz by removing frame, belt and lid for light trips. A much lighter belt is also available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDHerron
08-08-2017, 07:51
12 lb base weight is still internal frame to me
With the Nero, my base weight would be more like 10 lbs., but I take your meaning. I'll check out the Exos.

MDHerron
08-08-2017, 07:52
Thanks, everyone, for the quick replies and great information. I'll look into your suggestions!

cmoulder
08-08-2017, 08:09
With the Nero, my base weight would be more like 10 lbs., but I take your meaning. I'll check out the Exos.

With the Nero, a base of about 7-8 lbs is close to ideal IMO, if only because the corresponding volume is also more appropriate.

No doubt heavy haulers are rolling their eyes at this quibbling over 2-3 lbs, but that is a lot in Gramweenieland. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-08-2017, 15:44
Osprey has a Talon 33 which I believe is very lightweight.

JC13
08-08-2017, 15:58
Osprey has a Talon 33 which I believe is very lightweight.Specs for the Talon 33.
LOAD RANGE 20-30 lbs.

VOLUME
DIMENSIONS
WEIGHT

S/M
1892 IN3 / 31 L
22.4H X 11.8W X 11.4D IN.
1.904 LBS.

M/L
2014 IN3 / 33 L
24.4H X 11.8W X 11.4D IN.
2.017 LBS.

saltysack
08-11-2017, 08:04
Very happy with the MLD Prophet....weighs around 16 oz and have carried 28lbs well also can reduce volume with clips on bottom of pack....I had to carry about 45-49 lbs when my pup got hurt and that wasn't ideal obviously! My base weight for me and the pup is ~10lbs with cold weather gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaduck9
08-11-2017, 11:14
I'm currently using an REI Trail 40 (https://www.rei.com/product/880839/rei-co-op-trail-40-pack-mens) for one or two night trips. It's a lovely bag (and the price is right), but at 46 oz., it's just about exactly 1/4 of my ~12 lbs. base weight*. For summer camping, it's also more space than I need. With everything I've done to shave ounces, it seems like a lighter bag is low-hanging fruit to save a pound or more. I've eyeballed some of the Zpacks packs, and everyone here seems to love the ULA Ohm 2.0. The Zpacks Nero (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/nero.shtml) calls calls to me in the evenings ("Twelve ounces!", it cries), but I see lots of warnings that frameless packs aren't for everyone.
I would still have the Trail 40 for longer and winter trips, but I feel like I'm carrying more bag than I need for weekenders.
I would love any suggestions.
*I could trim a pound by leaving my fishing gear behind, but let's not get crazy.

I just picked up a Jansport Katahdin 50 liter pack for around 50 dollars

There on sale all over the place. about 33 ounces. Rugged material. The hipbelt is pretty minamalist. The mesh pocket on the back is just big enough for a rain jacket or tarp. No hipbelt pockets. Not great but not bad either.

Its also available from REI garage web site.
One can always try it for size and return.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=160WvOqT4TM