PDA

View Full Version : Pack Weight

wolfywolfy
08-08-2017, 13:34
I am curious how much weight everyone else is carrying. For example my backpack total weight has ranged from 15lbs to 30lbs and I find below 20 most comfortable. Just wondering If I am average or not.

TTT
08-08-2017, 13:43
Total weight with food/water and everything else included apart from a gas canister and hiking poles, is 19 pounds and some change. I plan on departing in March and carting warm clothes. While others have the luxury of dropping their weight significantly by sending stuff home, my weight will remain pretty much stable the entire time.

DuneElliot
08-08-2017, 13:44
For 3 season trips, which are all I do, my base weight is around 13lbs. Add in 6 days of food, fuel and two liters of water and I am up to around 25lbs. So anywhere in between those two is normal for me. The start of the trip is obviously always the heaviest. I am often carrying more water because I have two dogs and on longer trips I have to carry a little of their food although they carry most of it.

copro
08-08-2017, 20:52
For a three day weekend with a liter of water I'm usually around 19 pounds. I just got back from 5 days in Colorado where I had to carry a bear canister and I was right at 30 starting out with that 1 liter.

Heliotrope
08-08-2017, 21:22
Once my total weight drops below 20 lbs I can start to cruise. I would guess you are average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
08-09-2017, 09:20
For a three day weekend with a liter of water I'm usually around 19 pounds. I just got back from 5 days in Colorado where I had to carry a bear canister and I was right at 30 starting out with that 1 liter.

Where exactly in Colorado were you required to carry a bear canister? Thanks.
Wayne

heatherfeather
08-09-2017, 10:24
Wayne

Off the top of my head, I know of two places canisters are required: Rocky Mountain National Park, and the 4 pass loop trail near Aspen.

hikermiker
08-09-2017, 10:53
My base weight varies from 7 pounds (absolute minimal summer weight) to 24 pounds (winter weight).

Venchka
08-09-2017, 10:54
Off the top of my head, I know of two places canisters are required: Rocky Mountain National Park, and the 4 pass loop trail near Aspen.

Off the top of my head, Rocky Mountain National Park.
I've read the forest service bulletin for the 4 pass loop. They do not exclude the Ursack.
Perhaps copra can elaborate on their trip.
Wayne

TX Aggie
08-09-2017, 11:09
Caveat before I state my weight: my last couple of trips I've had my two daughters with me, the younger of which is only 50 lbs herself, so I won't let her carry more than 10 including her own water.
So for their tent, plus my hammock and sleep system along with backup water (I'm still old school and insist on having a minimum of 1L per person as a backup), my pack on our last 2 outings came in right at 56-60lbs.

So I consider 30 a lightweight setup. YMMV.

heatherfeather
08-09-2017, 11:17
Off the top of my head, Rocky Mountain National Park.
I've read the forest service bulletin for the 4 pass loop. They do not exclude the Ursack.
Perhaps copra can elaborate on their trip.
Wayne

Ah, didn't know you were looking for canister vs ursack differentials. Some people do prefer canisters over the ursack even if it is an option. (I am not one of them, love me some ursack action).

Venchka
08-09-2017, 15:28
Ah, didn't know you were looking for canister vs ursack differentials. Some people do prefer canisters over the ursack even if it is an option. (I am not one of them, love me some ursack action).

copro in the original post led me to believe that the bear CANISTER was required for a 5 day trip.
I don't go looking for this information very often. I looked a couple months ago and came to the conclusion that RMNP was the only place in Colorado where canisters were REQUIRED. Probably descended from California Training and rules.
Things change and maybe I'm behind the times.
Wayne

copro
08-09-2017, 22:40
Wayne

I was doing the 4 Pass Loop, and just some extra hanging out in Maroon Bells Wilderness. And I think you can get away with an Ursack there but after reading WAY TOO MANY articles and forum posts about the Ursack I just decided to go with the BV450 to have a sure thing. I had never been to Colorado before and I had no idea what campsites would be like - if there were good trees for hanging, etc. Plus the Ursack didn't protect from my main concern - small nibbly rodents - of which I saw plenty during my trip.

shelb
08-09-2017, 22:56
Skin out (meaning everything I carry and wear - yes, I get on the scale naked and then weight myself after I am ready to hike) = 25 pounds. ...

That includes water for one day (2L) and food for four days (about 10 pounds). I carry a tent, and I am not sure how to get my weight down anymore (sleeping bag = 2#1 ounce plus, I have a 4 ounce silk liner. Tent is a Rainbow Tarptent.)

BuckeyeBill
08-10-2017, 05:46
I personally prefer the Ursack for its weight (13oz) and its ease of packing. For another 10.8 oz you can add their aluminum liner. I often wonder if a piece of titanium would be lighter than their aluminum liner? Oh well I have other points to ponder.

Venchka
08-10-2017, 07:17
I was doing the 4 Pass Loop, and just some extra hanging out in Maroon Bells Wilderness. And I think you can get away with an Ursack there but after reading WAY TOO MANY articles and forum posts about the Ursack I just decided to go with the BV450 to have a sure thing. I had never been to Colorado before and I had no idea what campsites would be like - if there were good trees for hanging, etc. Plus the Ursack didn't protect from my main concern - small nibbly rodents - of which I saw plenty during my trip.
Thank you! That information is most helpful.
Wayne

jensaito
08-13-2017, 15:11
My ideal weight is around 20 lbs. Sometimes it gets bigger, but I say stop to myself and trow out all optional/dispensable stuff. The less weight you carry the more you will enjoy your trip.

KasseyB
09-21-2017, 10:53
Just finished my thru-hike of the AT.
Didn't research gear, so my stuff was fairly bulky compared to most.
I'm 5'2'' and weigh 110 lbs, my pack with food and water weighed 35-40 lbs.
Ideally you want your base weight to be around 10 lbs (tent, sleeping bag, pack)
But, if your determined to do it, you will no matter whats on your back.
Lighter pack just makes for easier cruising.

Venchka
09-21-2017, 15:43
... The less weight you carry the more you will enjoy your trip.
Not if you don't love the place where you are hiking.
Wayne

AllDownhillFromHere
09-21-2017, 19:45
Ideally you want your base weight to be around 10 lbs (tent, sleeping bag, pack)
I have heard you should aim for less than 1/4 of your weight. "If you can lift a pack, you can carry it all day with the right attitude" -Guy Waterman

zig-zag man
09-22-2017, 06:33
I am curious how much weight everyone else is carrying. For example my backpack total weight has ranged from 15lbs to 30lbs and I find below 20 most comfortable. Just wondering If I am average or not.

For my first hike I headed out with a 39-ish# pack. Didn't stay out very long at all. Nearly crippled myself. Came home and re-evaluated things and stripped 11-ish# off my total weight with 3 days consumables. My base ends up at ~17#. Plus 6# of food. Plus 4# water. Headed back out for a hike in a couple of days. Hopefully it will go much better for me. Seems that, all things being equal, your gear budget and your final carry weight are directly related, for sure.

twinsinpa
09-25-2017, 07:35
Mine was 35#. Way too heavy. But it was my first time. Next time my goal is 25#. Learned a lot.

soulrebel
09-25-2017, 08:57
I usually carry about 8lbs-10lbs of gear, 2lbs of water upto 10lbs (lquart-1.25gal for dry camp/dry stretches), and 5-25lbs of food (2-10 days). large male 195lbs on avg.

SwathHiker
09-28-2017, 05:17
You should ditch that large male

MuddyWaters
09-28-2017, 05:34

Lighter people are waaayyy over-represented here vs on-trail.

Your far better than most. Enjoy it.

zig-zag man
09-28-2017, 06:46

110lbs with a 35-40lb pack and did a thru? I am friggin impressed. That's roughly 35% of your body weight. You have mettle!

GoLight
09-28-2017, 10:33
110lbs with a 35-40lb pack and did a thru? I am friggin impressed. That's roughly 35% of your body weight. You have mettle!

If I did 35% of my body weight my pack would weigh 64 pounds :rolleyes:

Venchka
09-28-2017, 12:41
If I did 35% of my body weight my pack would weigh 64 pounds :rolleyes:

54 pounds here @ 35%.
I was cruising at only 22% in Wyoming!
Wayne

2Sleeps
10-02-2017, 22:05
Hahahaha!! Ditto fo sho

Crossup
10-03-2017, 13:15
I'll go with the "if you can lift it" quote- wanting to get on the trail rather than read about hiking I just used what I had which put me at 40lbs plus water and what was on my body. With only a week of "training" by local hikes, I can confidently say I'm in the worst shape of my life. So the good new is I was able to hike 6-7hrs a day, the bad news: mileage sucked-6.5 to 9.5, I think thats the main downside of being loaded. But we adapt, every day was easier than the previous one, on day 5 I ran across a nice tree of ripe pears and then got comfirmation a mid point water source was dried up and so I needed to carry water for 2 days. So add 6 pears and 64oz of water which surely got me to the 50lbs mark, of course that was my 9.5mi day. Back to the 40lbs range, I finished up with 20min. miles on easy ground. FWIW, I weigh right at 160lbs and I spent lots time taking breaks and going off trail, so I should probably say I wore the pack for 6-7hrs a day but most days I only hiked 4-5 on trail. Morel of the story, if you go heavy, you will likely go slow.

jjozgrunt
10-03-2017, 18:39
Lighter people are waaayyy over-represented here vs on-trail. Your far better than most. Enjoy it.

Oh so true

I actually laugh at some of the quoted figures here. Some people I saw this year, on the trail, that had put up their weights here or on their trail journals had grossly underestimated. I see gear lists that don't have all the little things that add up. 1 guy I saw at the top of Springer, after taking 2 days on the approach trail estimated his weight at 41lbs before the walk, when he checked at the start it was 84lbs. He had crap hanging off a huge pack everywhere. After Neel Gap, most people were in the 28 - 40 range after they drop off all those things that they packed for their fears. Things like the 2nd/3rd sets of clothes just in case, 1st aid kits bigger than I've seen combat medics carry, 6 days of food for a 2-3 day leg etc etc.

Here is everything I started with this year, except for swapping out a s/s t shirt for a l/s one and what I will start with next year to finish the AT. It is absolutely everything that on my body or in my pack. Keeping a list is about the only way I have found to include everything for an actual weight and to not forget anything. Also it helps to see where you can improve, read lighten, your weight. https://lighterpack.com/r/czb3eu

Plan ahead and there will be no great shock when you weigh it at the start.

TTT
10-03-2017, 18:52
Weight is deceptive and misleading if it is not accompanied by a season that the gear will be used. Winter and summer gear are like chalk and cheese

AllDownhillFromHere
10-03-2017, 20:03
Weight is deceptive and misleading if it is not accompanied by a season that the gear will be used. Winter and summer gear are like chalk and cheese
Which is heavier, a pound of lead or a lb. of feathers?

TTT
10-03-2017, 21:14
The skin weight used in winter and that used in summer should be vastly different. Supplying the weight with the season puts it into context otherwise it becomes misleading.

KCNC
10-03-2017, 23:11
Oh so true

I actually laugh at some of the quoted figures here. Some people I saw this year, on the trail, that had put up their weights here or on their trail journals had grossly underestimated. I see gear lists that don't have all the little things that add up. 1 guy I saw at the top of Springer, after taking 2 days on the approach trail estimated his weight at 41lbs before the walk, when he checked at the start it was 84lbs. He had crap hanging off a huge pack everywhere. After Neel Gap, most people were in the 28 - 40 range after they drop off all those things that they packed for their fears. Things like the 2nd/3rd sets of clothes just in case, 1st aid kits bigger than I've seen combat medics carry, 6 days of food for a 2-3 day leg etc etc.

Here is everything I started with this year, except for swapping out a s/s t shirt for a l/s one and what I will start with next year to finish the AT. It is absolutely everything that on my body or in my pack. Keeping a list is about the only way I have found to include everything for an actual weight and to not forget anything. Also it helps to see where you can improve, read lighten, your weight. https://lighterpack.com/r/czb3eu

Plan ahead and there will be no great shock when you weigh it at the start.

I'm right in line with you (a bit lighter at the moment, but still have to add a few small items, I wager I end up within a couple hundred grams)

I budget 5 days of food and 2L water for planning purposes, but that varies situationally.

Wardrobe planning can easily have a 3-4lb impact.

DuneElliot
10-04-2017, 18:46
I don't do winter hiking, except down south, so my year-round pack weight is pretty consistent. I get cold easily and know what I need to carry to be safe and comfortable. Excess clothes (ie change of clothes) don't happen in my pack...I carry the bare necessities to be safe and comfortable, which usually includes an extra fleece and a good puffy.

Mareekie
10-11-2017, 02:03
Counting 8 pounds food, 2 pounds bear can, and 2 L water, Pack weighs 27 pounds, against my 140.
I'm still refining the little stuff, but the limiter is keeping the pack empty enough to fit the bear can between the bars of the Arc blast so it doesn't poke my back or wear thru the fabric

Venchka
10-11-2017, 09:56
Counting 8 pounds food, 2 pounds bear can, and 2 L water, Pack weighs 27 pounds, against my 140.
I'm still refining the little stuff, but the limiter is keeping the pack empty enough to fit the bear can between the bars of the Arc blast so it doesn't poke my back or wear thru the fabric

How long do you plan on being out with 8 pounds of food? What food is in the 8 pounds?
Iím curious for my own planning purposes. Thanks!
Wayne

Suzzz
10-11-2017, 10:59
Not sure I agree with the ''if you can lift it'' rule.

I did my first section hike with a 40 lbs pack. I had no problem lifting it but I felt that weight on my back all the way through and wished it wasn't there. Not only did it slow me down, it also made me a lot more tired than I should have been at the end of the day.

I knew from the get go that some of my gear was too heavy and I am in the process of replacing it as I can afford to do so. I also had wayyyyyyy too much food and promised myself I wouldn't bring anymore than what I absolutely need on my next section. If all goes according to plan, I'll be leaving home with a 30 lbs pack.

Suzzz
10-11-2017, 11:00
I should have specified that that 30 lbs includes 5 days of food.

Luna Anderson
10-12-2017, 03:27
My backpack was often around 25 lbs for a 6 day hikes including clothes, food (mainly noodes and bread), first aid kid, stove, personal belongings... If I carry a sleeping bag or a tent, my backpack will be approximately 30 lbs. I feel comfortable with that weight and I thinks that your pack is rather lightweight for lower than 20 lbs.

jjozgrunt
10-12-2017, 06:41
Food is a big weight and people usually carry too much at the beginning, depending on how experienced they are. The inexperienced will always assume that they will eat more straight off. I do a lot of bushwalking and know that in the first couple of days I will actually eat less. After 2-3 days I start eating normally and after a couple of weeks I'm eating about 30% more.

I started the AT with about 700 grams/day. The first resupply at Neel Gap I was back up to my normal 900 grams/day and at Fontana Day my resupply took me up to about 1.2kg/day. These are based on dehydrated meals as much as possible. When I started carrying foil packets of chicken etc, and more non dehydrated food, weight went up.

rafe
10-12-2017, 07:00
Just shy of senior citizen status, it seems my limit for an extended hike is 25-30 pounds on my back. That's about half of what I used to schlep as a newb hiker at age 25 or so.

jjozgrunt
10-12-2017, 08:11
Just shy of senior citizen status, it seems my limit for an extended hike is 25-30 pounds on my back. That's about half of what I used to schlep as a newb hiker at age 25 or so.

That's about mine now to, I hate going over 30lbs but do in some of the drier areas of Australia where you have to carry more water. When I think back to age 25 it was 50 - 70+ Kg in the "LIGHT" Infantry, depending on the mission.

birdygal
10-16-2017, 11:30
my weight usually runs around 27 lbs with 3 days of food and water. I would love to get less than than but I would be worthless without sleep a good night sleep in a hammock that weighs more than a tent is worth its weight in gold

DuneElliot
10-16-2017, 12:15
my weight usually runs around 27 lbs with 3 days of food and water. I would love to get less than than but I would be worthless without sleep a good night sleep in a hammock that weighs more than a tent is worth its weight in gold

My hammock set-up and my tent set-up weigh in at about the same...the hammock set-up is slightly more bulky but not heavier. Maybe you should look into some lighter alternatives for hammocking

birdygal
10-16-2017, 13:26
the only place I could really shave off any decent weight would be in cuban tarp which I would not consider that much money for the weight advantage. my tent weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. for 2 people. I have to have an air mattress to even attempt to sleep on the ground that weighs another 1lb so my hammock setup is actually lighter unless my dear hubby comes with me, but then he would have the tent in his backpack not mine.

gracebowen
10-16-2017, 16:14
Im aiming for 25 to 30 lbs.

Venchka
10-16-2017, 23:45
Im aiming for 25 to 30 lbs.

You will make it. Good luck.
Wayne

Erinswan
07-16-2019, 09:08
My highest base weight was 30 and lowest was 7. A pack is still on your back but it was nicer to carry the 7lb one.