PDA

View Full Version : Have any tips for hiking with kids?

blw2
08-08-2017, 16:07
my kids are 6, 9, and 12
I'm really hoping that they will be encouraged to join me as I get going more, especially the older two...
What do you have them carry?

I'm planning to replace some of my gear for lighter stuff for me.
The tent for example, I'm currently thinking the duplex from ZPacks (afraid the wife will shoot me for that kind of money, but that's another thing...)
so I could get one in there with me.
Otherwise, I'm toying with the idea of letting them split carry my REI halfdome 2
+ their sleep system
+ clothes
Figuring I'll carry their food

JC13
08-08-2017, 16:30
It really depends on your kids and how far you plan to go. I have a 10 yr old who as soon as he has a pack on, slows to a crawl, carry it for him and he is running... The 12 yr old on the other hand is a trooper and doesn't complain unless she is in serious pain/discomfort. The 9 yr old, depends on the mood of the other two.

Since my wife goes with us, we usually both carry a tent and split out the food weight.. The kids carry their sleep system, sleep clothes, rain gear, headlamp, water and a snack.

Another thing to look at is the weight of the kids packs. I am still kicking myself for not buying 3 of the Gossamer Gear quicksak 26. They had the older model for ~$30 each earlier in the year. ~8oz each. Current version is $70.

Mobius
08-08-2017, 16:31
I introduced my daughter to hiking by starting at a local park with overnight camping. Essentially car camping with backpacks. Had a big day hike.

Stage two was a short back country trip (3-4 miles per day) around age 7. She carried her pack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, clothes, and 1/2 L of water. I carried the rest (tent, food, stove, etc). She set the pace.

We gradually expanded to longer trips and more nights. At age 11 she's good for 12 mile days (and could do more) and now carries her own gear almost entirely - especially if we use hammocks. Food/Stove are still on me. She carries the snacks :)

One thing I've challenged my daughter with "hike her age" in miles each year. So far we've made it every year without any issues.

While she enjoyed the out doors, she definitely likes certain features: rock scrambles, water crossings, critters (e.g. Grayson Highland ponies), etc. A full day of green tunnel isn't as fun.

Finding light weight backpacks for kids was a trick. I eventually got her the kids version of the ULA Circuit. It's adjustable and light enough. Plus the hip belt is small enough for kids. Her original Deuter Fox pack (small) weighs more than my adult sized backpack!

I've always had a 1:1 parent/kid ratio. I'm not sure I'd want to be out numbered until they have a few hikes under their belt but you know your kids!

blw2
08-08-2017, 17:10
yes, i should have clarified my intention is to do some 1-2 nights locally, perhaps Cumberland island as shakedown hikes
with the goal of doing a section hike in GA, maybe AT, maybe BMT...or maybe just a 3-5 night loop up in the hills someplace...

We've had them on day hikes a lot....mostly a bit on the short side, but some decent hikes
recently hiked down into the grand canyon a short bit
and hiked up a slot canyon near page AZ. Even did a bit of the AZ trail with them...although that was more of a joke to say we did it (only a fraction of a mile)
and yes, they can be whinny without a purpose, but they really enjoyed the rock scrambling and exploring the slot canyon, a little rock scramble we did at Horseshoe Bend, etc... they have to have a "purpose", but then so do I. Not so excited about dull miles down a jeep trail....

I was figuring on just a few things in their school day packs since they wouldn't be carrying much weight.... but I suppose you're right...might make sense to get them a decent light pack with a hip belt (actually my son has a kids size Deuter, not the lightest but decent), maybe some hiking poles...although I'm not sure if they would take to them...

Suzzz
08-08-2017, 17:13
I've never been on the AT with my daughters (12 & 10) but I do hike with them regularly. They usually carry 1 liter of water each for personal consumption, their own sleeping system, personal stuff like hygiene kit, clothing, camp shoes, rain jacket, headlamp, etc., and their own snacks for a total of about 8 lbs each (pack weight included). My oldest also carries about another 4 lbs of food for a total of about 12 lbs. She's fairly tall and strong so she could probably take more but I don't want to push her to her limits. My youngest carries our cooking kit, 1st aid kit and a few other nick knacks for a grand total of about 10 lbs.

I carry the remaining extra food and a bigger 4 lbs tent to fit all of us and we take a lot of breaks as we go along.

Suzzz
08-08-2017, 17:18
Also they both have and use walking poles... and love them.

HooKooDooKu
08-08-2017, 17:42
I allowed my kids to start hiking with me since they each turned 7yo.
From the start, they have ALWAYS had to carry at least their own cloths, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad.
I've always carried the bulk of the "shared" camping gear (tent, cooking gear, food, water filter, etc).
Once the oldest was about 12yo, I bought an extra 2-person tent that was light enough that he could carry his own cloths and sleep system along with the tent, while I carried my tent and the rest of the shared gear.

Feral Bill
08-08-2017, 18:16
Kids wreck stuff. Best not to go too ultra light with critical items. You might consider tarps for weight savings and flexibility of use. Also, mosquitoes build character. I'd guess you know that the trip is all about the kids, with your desires a distant second. Have fun!

Hikingjim
08-08-2017, 20:07
Sleep system, clothes, personal, add more items if you think they can handle it
That would be fine for short trip. A few clothing items for a small kid doesn't weigh much of anything. Same with an appropriately sized sleeping bag. Give them a few snacks and small useful items to bring out during the day

Make sure the trip is interesting is the main thing and take it slow. Slogging it in the woods for one view might not cut it for some!
I used to go places that had something specifically like nice views (less important than the following for many kids!), a swimming hole, a cool shelter, maybe a restaurant for breakfast on day 2

if there are excessive bugs or heat, probably not the greatest place to start

clusterone
08-08-2017, 21:04
See my post here(another kids thread)
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/126053-Children-on-the-trail

red5
08-09-2017, 05:02
So pretty much what a few others said; sleeping bag, sleeping pad and some clothes. Keep it light. My youngest was 5 when he started and we began with a 1 nighter and moved our way up to 5 nights/6 days. His pack was less than 10 pounds. Now that they are getting a bit older they are carrying some of the food (yay!).

Hauling a big heavy pack could cause them to not enjoy themselves. So keep it fun for them. See if you can get packs that will distribute the weight for them properly.

saltysack
08-09-2017, 08:15
My son stated going with me around 9...Slow and easy.....really enjoyed playing in the streams catching critters....good gauge is a mile per year for most active kids but found mine had no problem doing 12 mile days in GA/NC...check out the no longer made TNF Tigger 20* sleeping great lil kids bag fairly light around 2lbs and warm, was a few here for sale....synthetic so washes easily and durable...accompanied with a cheap zlite foam pad...good food and a campfire make a huge difference! Lots of great memories...have fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleRock
08-09-2017, 08:48
What I'd do for a first trip (which admittedly will be quite awhile for me since my oldest is 3):
- Give them school backpacks with food/water, clothes, and sleeping bag. Carry everything else yourself.
- Plan for 1 night and no more than 10 miles total (5 mi/day). Take a break at least once per mile.
- If they enjoy it and want to do it again, then you can up the ante.

blw2
08-09-2017, 11:55
What I'd do for a first trip (which admittedly will be quite awhile for me since my oldest is 3):
- Give them school backpacks with food/water, clothes, and sleeping bag. Carry everything else yourself.
- Plan for 1 night and no more than 10 miles total (5 mi/day). Take a break at least once per mile.
- If they enjoy it and want to do it again, then you can up the ante.

That echoes pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking....
seems like it's more or less what others think too.
have them carry clothes, sleep system, and maybe a few other small things.
My oldest has the Deuter pack I mentioned... a Fox 40.... so that will help. He could carry a bit more in that
I don't really want to go too crazy buying special packs and bags for them...but then again I know that bad equipment could make it so they never want to go again.

JC13
08-09-2017, 13:27
I think the take away needs to be, find a pack that is comfortable for whatever weight they end up needing\wanting to carry. No need for a specialty pack like you mentioned as they shouldn't be carrying anything to wear they would need a hipbelt\suspension\etc.

I liked the Quiksak because it was small,UL and super cheap when it was on sale.

Stone1984
08-09-2017, 14:17
I only take my kids on day hikes so far. They only carry their water. My pack is full with tent food quilt and enough stuff for us to survive if we had to stay out a day or two.

Rmcpeak
08-09-2017, 14:33
Short. Fun.
I took kids up to Rice Field earlier this summer. I wasn't going to make a campfire or cook S'mores or anything. Pitched tent out on edge of cliff so we could take in the sunset. We were having an ok time. Then some thru hikers came to shelter, loaded to the max from their resupply in Pearisburg. The got a blazing campfire going. The kids wanted to go sit by the fire over at the shelter so I said "OK." Next thing you know out come the S'mores! Kids had a blast!
Next time I'll bring my own damn s'mores!
Lesson learned. With kids it's about the campfire and marshmallows.

That Rice Field up and Back is a good one for kids. Mine are 6 and 11. Here's my gallery/notes: https://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2017/06/rice-field-up-and-back-with-kids-first.html

Feral Bill
08-09-2017, 14:44
I think the take away needs to be, find a pack that is comfortable for whatever weight they end up needing\wanting to carry. No need for a specialty pack like you mentioned as they shouldn't be carrying anything to wear they would need a hipbelt\suspension\etc.

I liked the Quiksak because it was small,UL and super cheap when it was on sale.

Also, when they are ready for "real" packs, look for ones with lots of adjustment. I took my kids to REI for refits yearly as they grew. Worked well.