PDA

View Full Version : Smokies - route/shelter suggestions...

yoz2018
08-09-2017, 03:22
Morning all,

This is my first post on the forum, so, please excuse me if i'm rehashing a well-worn topic.

After some fun in Yosemite earlier this year, i'm planning to head to the Smokies in late September for a 2-3 day hike. I'm keen to do as much as the following route as possible https://www.backpacker.com/trips/great-smoky-mountains-national-park-tricorner-loop, but, rather than start at Round Bottom, i'd prefer something closer to Gatlinburg, say, along the Newfound Gap.

My question of you folks is: which route would you suggest, to tie in the above? Newfound to Laurel Gap, then onwards, on anti clockwise route, back to the AT? Or outbound on the AT, from Newfound to Tricorner Shelter, before heading back along the Balsam Moutain Trail with a further night at Laurel?

I'm also open to suggestions, if you guys can recommend an alternative route?

Thanks so much - I appreciate the help!

Jon, from London, UK.

johnacraft
08-09-2017, 09:32
If you start at Newfound Gap, you're adding about 21 miles (10.5 in each direction) to the 31 miles of the loop. Given the terrain, 52 miles in 3 days is achievable, but you might want to give yourself an extra day - there are some significant ascents on the route. You're also constrained by the lack of campsites, so one 17-18 mile day is hard to avoid unless you add a fifth day.

One possibility:

Day 1 - Newfound Gap to Peck's Corner shelter (10.4 mi.).
Day 2 - Peck's Corner - Laurel Gap shelter via Round Bottom (~ 17 mi.).
Day 3 - Laurel Gap - TriCorner Knob - Peck's Corner (~ 12 mi.).
Day 4 - Peck's Corner - Newfound Gap.

Another:

Day 1 - Newfound Gap to Peck's Corner shelter (10.4 mi.).
Day 2 - Peck's Corner - Laurel Gap shelter via TriCorner Knob (~ 11 mi.).
Day 3 - Laurel Gap - Campsite 47 (~ 11 mi.).
Day 4 - Campsite 47 - Newfound Gap (~ 17 mi.).

If you're constrained to 3 days, I'd plan:

Day 1 - Newfound Gap to TriCorner Knob shelter (~ 16 mi.).
Day 2 - TriCorner Knob shelter - Laurel Gap - Campsite 47 (~ 16 mi.).
Day 3 - Campsite 47 - Newfound Gap (~ 17 mi.).

Shelter and campsite reservations here (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1).

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2017, 10:39
GSMNP has tons of 3-day loops (3-day loops in GSMNP is sort of my "bread and butter" of hiking so to speak).

What time of year do you plan to hike GSMNP and what are you hoping to get out of it?
High mountain Views? Water Falls? Creeks?

A few notes on the loop you've linked to.
1. I've done that loop before, and I would recommend doing it clock-wise starting near point #24. There is a small parking lot located about 100 yards up the dirt road (Balsam Mountain Road) from the trail head at #24.
2. The peak at point #11 is located along a long-ago over grown trail (hence the reason it's phrased as a bush-whack). The old trial is likely no longer discernible and very well may be impassible. I've not come across any discussions about trying to head to this particular peak, and I would think it more interesting to try to reach the bush-whack to Mt. Guyot located about a mile north from point 14. There are many online discussions about getting to the top of Guyot. It has the distinction of being the highest mountain east of the Mississippi that doesn't have a maintained path to the top.
3. Between points 2 and 24 is a relatively boring 1.5 mile dirt road walk.

IMHO, a much more interesting loop would be one that includes Abrams Falls (my favorite water fall in the park) and Gregory Bald (CS #13 is my favorite in the park).
Start this hike on a Friday as it requires going part of the way around Cades Cove Loop Road. Most the year, the road is closed to vehicle traffic before 10am, other days, it opens about sunrise (6am?)
Park at the trailhead for either Abrams Falls or Gregory Ridge Trail. The loop will include a road walk from Gregory Ridge Trailhead to Abrams Falls Trail head, and you simply decide if the walk is at the start or end of your hike.
Hike down Abrams Falls Trail to the falls, then beyond to the intersection of Hannah Mtn Trail. At Hannah Mtn, you have to ford Abrams Creek, then hike Hannah Mtn to campside #14. The next day continue along Hannah Mtn trail to Gregory Balk Trail spending your 2nd night at campsite #13. After you setup camp at #13, continue up the mountain about 1/3 mile with your dinner and enjoy dinner with a view on top of Gregory Bald. Finish the loop coming down Gregory Ridge Trail.

PatmanTN
08-09-2017, 13:55
That backpacker article has a misleading tone. Tagging peaks in the Smokies is nothing like the western mountains (you mentioned Yosemite) ; almost all peaks are completely forested, just FYI. Great option recommended so far, and like HooKoo said, it depends on what you are interested in seeing, but if you don't mind Shelters and are willing to spend some money on a shuttle I would recommend considering leaving a car at the bottom of the Alum Cave bluff trail (or for less crowds maybe find a spot on Cherokee Orchard road ), shuttling to Davenport Gap to start. Your first detour could be to the Mt Cammerer Fire tower views, stop for the night at either Cosby or Tri Corner, then continue south on the AT stopping as needed based on mileage you are willing to do. Then take a right on the Boulevard trail to see Mt LeConte (be great to score a permit to stay there for a night) and then choose a route back down to your car. (Rainbow falls is nice).

This may not fit your time constraints, mileage ideas or budget but the AT crest along the eastern side of the Smokies is the highest continuous section of AT above 5000 feet on the entire AT and offers some nice (but sporadic) views both north and south as you go along. I particularly enjoy the section between Dr Sluice Gap and Pecks Corner. This route would also take you by Charlies Bunion; another nice overlook. Again, if you are wanting to fish, stay near water, or are more interested in waterfalls there many other options.

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2017, 15:03
Love the idea of hiking half the AT thru GSMNP coming out Alum Cave. No major waterfalls, but it's a great alpine-like hike that ends along what many consider the prettiest trail in the park.
BUT... I think it would be better as a three night hike.

Here's my suggestion on how to do PatmanTN's suggestion:
Park at Alum Cave Trailhead.
Save some time and a few dollars and shuttle to Cosby Campground rather than Davenport Gap (IMHO, you don't miss much skipping Davenport Gap to Cammerer Trail).

Day 1:
Hike from Cosby up Low Gap trail to the AT. Turn left and continue to Cammerer Trail and follow this dead-end trail to the lookout tower.
Make a U-Turn back towards Low Gap trail, but continue along the AT and camp the 1st night at Cosby Knob shelter.

Day 2:
Follow the AT to Pecks Corner Shelter for the 2nd night. The shelter is a little less that 1/2 mile down Huges Ridge trail from the AT.

Day 3:
Continue along the AT. About a mile shy of Ice Water Springs shelter is a side trail for the Charlies Bunion view.
About a 1/2 mile past Ice Water Springs shelter is the intersection for Boulevard Trail. If you still have lots of time, you could take the "JumpOff" side trail located about 1/10 of a mile down the Boulevard. If you don't, don't sweat it, it's another overlook of the same valley you saw from Charlies Bunion. But if you've got plenty of time, it's worth the 3/4 mile out and back.
After you summit Mt. LeConte, the LeConte shelter is about a 1/2 file further down the mountain.

Day 4:
Hike the Alum Cave Trail down to your car.

The middle of the summer (to beat the heat) or the first of October (leaves begin to turn) would be good times to do this hike.

yoz2018
08-10-2017, 10:00
Thanks, guys. The Alum Cave suggestion looks promising, and would cut out the long drive to Round Bottom.

I'll study the brown bible, and other sources a little more, and then come back to you!

Thanks, again, for your help!

J.

centerfieldr162
08-10-2017, 10:29
In mid-March I did a two night, three day loop that I would suggest that isn't far from Gatlinburg. It's out of cosby campround and not a bad drive at all from Gatlinburg. Mt. Cammerer is one of my favorite locations in the park and is gorgeous on a clear day. Also, Albright Grove area is gorgeous.

Day 1: Low Gap Trail to the AT to Mt. Cammerer to Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail to CS 35
Day 2: CS 35 to Snake Den Ridge Trail to Maddron Bald Train to Gabes Mt. Trail to CS 34
Day 3: CS 34 back out to the parking lot

Ashepabst
08-10-2017, 10:38
That backpacker article has a misleading tone.

yuuup.... how nonchalantly they suggest making the climb up from Round Bottom before a casual stroll out to Mark's Knob. Just "turn left at this 3-way intersection" as if there were an actual path to turn on....

One Half
08-10-2017, 11:05
Thanks, guys. The Alum Cave suggestion looks promising, and would cut out the long drive to Round Bottom.

I'll study the brown bible, and other sources a little more, and then come back to you!

Thanks, again, for your help!

J.
What is the Brown bible?

Ashepabst
08-10-2017, 11:21

HooKooDooKu
08-10-2017, 14:12
yuuup.... how nonchalantly they suggest making the climb up from Round Bottom before a casual stroll out to Mark's Knob. Just "turn left at this 3-way intersection" as if there were an actual path to turn on....
Turns out Mark's Knob is a popular destination for peek baggers. There's a Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marks_Knob) on the mountain along with a picture of the "trail" intersection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marks_Knob#/media/File:Old-hyatt-ridge-trail-nc1.jpg).

HooKooDooKu
08-10-2017, 14:20
BTW: That Backpacker article is quite out of date.
Back country permits are no longer free (you know get them online here (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1) and pay a $4/night/person fee).
The article also makes mention of an Enole Creek shelter... don't know what they think they are talking about. There is a campsite at Raven Fork along Enole Creek trail, but to the best of my knowledge, there's never been a shelter along Enole Creek Trail.

PatmanTN
08-10-2017, 16:23
Indeed, I've been to Marks Knob a few times over the years. Someone will flag the route with orange tape and then someone will come behind them and take it down. It's a cool excursion for sure but if you try to stay with the old Hyatt Ridge Trail (which is fairley distinct until the turn off to Marks Knob) it's blown down after blow down; better to just find your own route across the ridge IMO. I plan to finish that out to McGee springs this fall.

PatmanTN
08-10-2017, 16:25
Oh and as mentioned Marks Knob is completely forested with balsam and also completely covered in bear sign.

Ashepabst
08-10-2017, 17:30
I plan to finish that out to McGee springs this fall.

I would love to hear about that adventure.

hikehunter
08-10-2017, 21:34
The Low Gap trail out of Cosby up to the AT is a BIG up hill. It makes Jacobs Ladder almost blush. Cosby Knob is a nice shelter with pipe water about 20 feet from shelter. It faces south on the NC of the AT. It is well protected from wind. I stayed there back in March and a storm came in from the north. Glad we were down out of the heavy stuff. Have a good hike.

HooKooDooKu
08-11-2017, 01:07
The Low Gap trail out of Cosby up to the AT is a BIG up hill. It makes Jacobs Ladder almost blush.
Not familiar with Jacobs Ladder, but what I can say about Low Gap is it is steep, but relatively short. The steep section is only about two miles... which seems short compared to hiking up the neighboring Baxter Creek trail @ 4,000' of elwvation change in 6 miles. Besides, it's at the start of the hike when you're fresh.