PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight stove for 0-30F winter use.

vipahman
02-02-2006, 17:36
I'm looking for an ultralight stove that burns efficiently in the 0-30F range for winter use. Alcohol stoves have been ruled out for above temp range but I have used my Pepsi stove above 40F.

My Whisperlite stove setup weighs 15.7 oz (9.1 oz stove + 1.7 oz windscreen 4.9 oz bottle without fuel) and I want to lighten up this area. What are my options?

Zzzzdyd
02-02-2006, 17:55
a Esbit do ?

I am not sure about the 0 degree, but I have used Esbits in the teens F.
and although a tad slow and took maybe a full tab, instead of the usual half
tab, Esbis tabs have done okay thus far.

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing what others have found that
really works.

K-Man
02-02-2006, 18:10
I have been using MINIBULL's Sith this winter. It is insulated from the bottom so the fuel stays warm. I just put the whole stove in my pocket for a couple of min to warm it up before use.

The Solemates
02-02-2006, 18:11
i use a simmerlite, which weighs about 20 ounces with a full 11fl oz fuel bottle.

whcobbs
02-02-2006, 18:16
Vipahman--

Don't be so hasty about discarding the alcohol stove idea for winter use. I've used both the Photon soda can stove and, more recently, the mini-Zen V-8 can stove quite successfully in 0 d F temps while hiking the AT in PA, CT, and MA in mid January. I don't use these to melt snow for water, as the springs continue to flow in winter. Some degree of shelter, ie an open lean-to, is usually necessary. Also you need to modify both the burners and startup technic for winter use. Pre-warm the alcohol by using a small squirt bottle of alcohol which you keep in a warm inner pocket. Likewise, warm the burner in an inner pocket before you set up. Either the bottom of the burner or the top of its metal base should be insulated with a coating of GE Si II adhesive sealant, the kind sold to mend Al gutters and good to 400 d F; this slows heat transfer away form the burner while it warms up. Likewise, if you use the mini-Zen stove with an upside down soda can on top for pot ( the no pot stand design), insulate the portion of the pot that contacts the burner and the alcohol vapor with a coating of Si adhesive. That way, the cold water in the pot won't quench the stove as a heat sink. Of course, you need a good windscreen. That's about it.
Walt

Alligator
02-02-2006, 18:22
I've been caught in white-outs before--stop, set up tent, spend the night. Having a stove that can melt snow is a definite plus for an unscheduled stop of this nature.

Peaks
02-03-2006, 10:25
Cold weather presents some challenges for stoves.

Alcohol could be used, but the fuel may need to be preheated. Also, because everything is cold, you will need more fuel to get water to a boil.

Canister stoves can be light weight, but the canisters may need to be preheated. The nice advantage of canister stoves is that they don't flare up, so you can use them near your tent without worrying about torching the tent.

White gas like the simmerlite and whisperlite don't seem to be effected by cold weather, so they will always light.

If you are melting snow, then that's going to take a lot of fuel. White gas is probably the choice if that's needed.

txulrich
02-03-2006, 12:24
Look into the Coleman Extreme Series that uses the Powermax fuel. It's a propane/butane mix that is design specifically for colder weather. I have one of these and I can tell you, it can be a real jet engine when you crank it all the way up. Just as easily, you can turn it down and simmer with it. Mine weighs in around 11 oz. but I believe that they've designed a new one that is even lighter.

LostInSpace
02-03-2006, 13:12
You could consider the Coleman Peak I Xtream. It is a liquid-feed canister stove and works better in cold than the vapor-feed canister stoves. However, I think it is only about 3 oz. less than the Whisperlite. You probably don't need a windscreen with it. It uses Powermax cartridges that come in 8 oz. and 3.5 oz. sizes, so these weigh less than the Whisperlight fuel bottle, but are pricy.

NoKnees
02-03-2006, 13:13
Once its pretty cold 10 degrees or colder and your melting snow white gas is the deal. Powermax might be cool for short trips and small parties but as the trips get longer and groups get bigger a rockin white gas stove is the ticket.

Years ago I shared a leanto with a fellow who had a wisperlite that had been modified to save weight. I think it had titanium legs and possibly other modifications. At the time I wasn't into lightweight packing so I didn't see its value.

I wonder how much weight one could save on a simmerlite with titanium legs and either a titanium fuel bottle or one of the older sigg bottles(which are lighter than the MSR bottles). While they were modifying the stove they could enlarge the rim to hold a bit more priming fuel.

NoKnees

txulrich
02-03-2006, 14:47
Once its pretty cold 10 degrees or colder and your melting snow white gas is the deal. Powermax might be cool for short trips and small parties but as the trips get longer and groups get bigger a rockin white gas stove is the ticket.

I would stack my Xtreme up against any Whisperlite. You plug in the canister, turn the on the gas, light it and it goes. They even made this real easy to do with gloves on. The whisperlite needs to warm up the gas to turn it to a vapor before the flame settles down, and the flame adjuster is a bit on the small side.

The size of the group makes no difference, the Xtreme can handle any size pot that the Whisperlite can. The only thing in the negative column is that the fuel is a bit more expensive. But when you want cold weather performance, it's a pretty good stove.

Years ago I shared a leanto with a fellow who had a wisperlite that had been modified to save weight. I think it had titanium legs and possibly other modifications. At the time I wasn't into lightweight packing so I didn't see its value.

NoKnees

I saw an ad in the latest backpacker mag that Coleman had done this very thing (I can get the page number of the ad when I get home tonight) to lighten up the stove.

Please don't misinterpret this as an attack. It's not, just a difference of opinion!!

vipahman
02-07-2006, 17:42
Look what you made me do! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12744

jasonklass
02-08-2006, 20:31
I use my white gas stove in winter if I have to melt snow. But otherwise, my Supercat works well in colder temps as long as you keep the fuel warm (keep your fuel bottle in your pocket). As mentioed above, the Sith from minibulldesigns.com works well in winter. I'm currently working on an alcohol stove design that's intended for winter use. As soon as I'm done, I'll put it on my website.

C_Brice
02-12-2006, 21:31
you all may get sick of me saying this but.........

Build or get yourself a wood burning Nomad stove. Check Zen stoves for a template. Sticks don't care how cold it is.

Chris

mweinstone
02-12-2006, 22:44
msrxgk is the only choice for the temps your cooking at. anything less is,....less

fireboy
03-16-2006, 22:16
Have not been able to test it below 9 degrees F.

I works great, all you need to make it work is to be sure the wick is sticking up in the air one half inch.

Make yourself one, it holds 15ml of fuel, will make a hardboiled egg, boil rice, and bake a potato not to mention boiling 2 cups of water in 10.5 min.http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1559