PDA

View Full Version : Most Accessible sections by public/commercial transport

One Half
08-10-2017, 11:26
I'm looking to find out which sections are the most accessible by public or commercial transport to include flying in or taking a bus like greyhound to hooking up with a local shuttler/hostel. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

The Kisco Kid
08-10-2017, 11:42
The ATC Shuttle list (http://appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-amp-vandalism-2017-07-07.pdf?sfvrsn=0) is gold! With a shuttle, you can travel to a regional airport, get picked up there, and delivered right to the trail. DFW->Charlotte>Asheville for instance with a ride to Hot Springs is a good option. Or you could go to Bangor, Maine and get a shuttle to the 100 Mile Wilderness. Those are two beautiful sections. It really depends on what time of year you're traveling and what part of the trail you would like to do.

One Half
08-10-2017, 11:45
Thanks! Perfect.

Venchka
08-10-2017, 16:23
I've seen this advice several times here:
Fly to Baltimore National or Ronald Reagan and train and/or bus to Harpers Ferry, MD.
New York City to several locations on the AT was detailed in a recent thread.
Tri-Cities Airport, Johnson City, TN and shuttle to Erwin, Roan Mountain, etc. TN. Mountain Harbor B&B at Roan Mountain is on the AT & can provide overnight accommodations and additional shuttle service to nearby AT road crossings. And some say the best breakfast on the trail.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
08-10-2017, 17:09
Marion, VA
Harpers Ferry
Delaware Water Gap
Williamstown, MA
Rutland, VT
Hanover, NH
Gorham, NH

Just Bill
08-10-2017, 17:27
Pretty much all the way from Ashville area (hot springs) north to Maine Junction (killington VT) is easy to reach.

Each terminus is harder- springer is easier though but a bit harder to get out after going north. (relatively speaking)

Mid new-Hampshire and most if not all of Maine is the hardest.

Easy is something like Harpers Ferry- with an Amtrack station. From there 100-150 miles north in either direction you can easily get out.
All of PA heading north is easy to get public transport.
Going south you can go to Waynesboro (then to Staunton) to get back on Amtrack.

Pawling NY or Bear Mountain area are also easy ones- that one you can do as a section even train stop to train stop.

Greyhound goes more places easy enough.
VT has a bus system so you can do MA/VT border to Killington easily.

As mentioned- shuttles are easy to find anywhere. But the middle of the trail is stupid cheap and easy in many places. You could probably hike half to 2/3rds of the trail without ever using a shuttle.

If your name is pennypincher you can get creative for very cheap- especially if you don't mind burning a day or so on a train or bus.
If your name is "I got money but only one week off" then fly and shuttle for the most trail time possible.

I like the train... you get to unwind a bit and decompress rather than rushing around and getting dumped on trail.
Chicago Amtrack to Harpers is an overnighter... 9pm on the train (enough time to get there after a workday) and 11am local time drop. Enough time for breakfast on the train and early enough in the day to hit the ground running.

The greyhound is always an experience best shared with 6 of your best 12 ounce friends (assuming the bathroom is working). Bring whiskey as a backup.

One Half
08-10-2017, 19:59
Pretty much all the way from Ashville area (hot springs) north to Maine Junction (killington VT) is easy to reach.

Each terminus is harder- springer is easier though but a bit harder to get out after going north. (relatively speaking)

Mid new-Hampshire and most if not all of Maine is the hardest.

Easy is something like Harpers Ferry- with an Amtrack station. From there 100-150 miles north in either direction you can easily get out.
All of PA heading north is easy to get public transport.
Going south you can go to Waynesboro (then to Staunton) to get back on Amtrack.

Pawling NY or Bear Mountain area are also easy ones- that one you can do as a section even train stop to train stop.

Greyhound goes more places easy enough.
VT has a bus system so you can do MA/VT border to Killington easily.

As mentioned- shuttles are easy to find anywhere. But the middle of the trail is stupid cheap and easy in many places. You could probably hike half to 2/3rds of the trail without ever using a shuttle.

If your name is pennypincher you can get creative for very cheap- especially if you don't mind burning a day or so on a train or bus.
If your name is "I got money but only one week off" then fly and shuttle for the most trail time possible.

I like the train... you get to unwind a bit and decompress rather than rushing around and getting dumped on trail.
Chicago Amtrack to Harpers is an overnighter... 9pm on the train (enough time to get there after a workday) and 11am local time drop. Enough time for breakfast on the train and early enough in the day to hit the ground running.

The greyhound is always an experience best shared with 6 of your best 12 ounce friends (assuming the bathroom is working). Bring whiskey as a backup.
I've got the NH/ME sections covered when I go and do them again. I used to live there and my family all still lives up there.

MuddyWaters
08-10-2017, 21:47
When include shuttlers.....its all accessible.

George
08-10-2017, 22:28
yeah, well if you get caught with alchohol on the greyhound they will potentially drop you on the side of the road anywhere - amtrack is the least regulated public transport for drinking