PDA

View Full Version : hmg 2400 -- getting the shoulder straps right

jefals
08-10-2017, 16:39
I'm sure this applies to any pack - especially those without load lifters:
Working on a training trail and building my weight carry up to what I would need for a backpacking trip, I now am where I need to be, with everything I need to carry. The pack weighs 32 pounds.
Nobody ever taught me about adjusting the shoulder straps, so it's trial and error. I'm pretty sure I have the hip belt right. The pads cover the top and bottom of my hip bones, the buckle is centered and pulled as tight as I can get it.
A couple days I had the shoulder straps way too tight -- with the result that after about a mile I could really feel the weight digging in to my shoulders. Today, I loosened it up, and I thought everything was fine. Still, at about 2.5 miles, I started really feeling the weight in the shoulders.
So, what gives? All advice welcone! Thanks!

SteelCut
08-10-2017, 16:42
I have the 3400 and never feel the weight on my shoulders. I was on the borderline between two sizes and sized up. Perhaps you bought a size too small based on your torso?

tflaris
08-10-2017, 17:21
I'm with SteelCut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
08-10-2017, 17:31
I have the 3400 and never feel the weight on my shoulders. I was on the borderline between two sizes and sized up. Perhaps you bought a size too small based on your torso?
I don't think so. I'm 5'9" and I have a large.

jefals
08-10-2017, 17:33
Do you adjust the shoulder straps everytime you put the pack on? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being totally loose, how tight do you tighten them?

egilbe
08-10-2017, 17:45
https://youtu.be/WFAouIqexIM

jefals
08-10-2017, 18:00
https://youtu.be/WFAouIqexIM
This hmg pack doesn't have the load lifters like that REI beast in the video. So, in this video, the guy looks like he really tightened down hard on the shoulder straps, then pulled the load off his shoulders with the load lifters. Finally, after tightening the sternum strap, he loosened the shoulder straps.
One thing I'm having difficulty with - and wondering if others are - is in trying to adjust those shoulder straps while the pack is on your back...

egilbe
08-10-2017, 18:07
Thats the point of load lifters. It lifts the load off your shoulders. It transfers the weight to your hip belt. In my case, I like it when i can slip a finger under my shoulder strap when I'm wearing the pack.

jefals
08-10-2017, 18:33
Thats the point of load lifters. It lifts the load off your shoulders. It transfers the weight to your hip belt. In my case, I like it when i can slip a finger under my shoulder strap when I'm wearing the pack.
Yeah, but this pack doesn't have load lifters. I've been watching videos of a young PCT thru hiker with this same pack. She doesn't seem to be having any problems, and the straps are snug to her shoulders, with no room. Wish I could talk to her and get her advice!

tflaris
08-10-2017, 18:40
I have the 2400 and the 3400. The 2400 doesn't have load lifters. I've never used mine with 32 lbs even on a 6 day stretch on the AT.

Maybe it's not the best backpack with that weight load.

I have about 600 mikes on my HMG Bags including a 260 Mile section hike this year on the AT.

jefals
08-10-2017, 18:44
I have the 2400 and the 3400. The 2400 doesn't have load lifters. I've never used mine with 32 lbs even on a 6 day stretch on the AT.

Maybe it's not the best backpack with that weight load.

I have about 600 mikes on my HMG Bags including a 260 Mile section hike this year on the AT.

Yeah, I'm out west where you need more water, tho. The 32 pounds includes 4.5l water. They say the pack is good for up to 40 lbs. How much weight DO you carry?

egilbe
08-10-2017, 18:44
Tflaris is right. 32 pounds is a lot for that pack. 20 pounds will feel much better.

tflaris
08-10-2017, 18:53
Yeah, I'm out west where you need more water, tho. The 32 pounds includes 4.5l water. They say the pack is good for up to 40 lbs. How much weight DO you carry?

My base weight is 8 to 10 pounds but I'm heavily invested in Cuben Fiber for my tent and down on my sleeping bag.

For my PCT Thru in 2020 I'm taking my 3400. Just because of the weight with bear can, ice axe, extra water in the desert, etc.

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:06
Tflaris is right. 32 pounds is a lot for that pack. 20 pounds will feel much better.
I can't lose 12 pounds, tho. Well, according to the hmg specs, you should be able to go up to 40 with the 2400.
If you think I need,a bigger pack, I'd probably go up to 4400 - just cause there's not that much weight difference between the 34 and 44.
Do you think the larger pack will carry the weight and be easier on the shoulders?

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:12

My base weight is 8 to 10 pounds but I'm heavily invested in Cuben Fiber for my tent and down on my sleeping bag.

For my PCT Thru in 2020 I'm taking my 3400. Just because of the weight with bear can, ice axe, extra water in the desert, etc.

I've only done the 1st section of the PCT. My 1st. backpacking experience. I was dropped off by a bus in Campo, all alone, with a 54 pound pack, 8 liters of water, 67 years old! I was one scared ole fool! Somehow I made it back alive! For that, I wouldn't have dreamed of using that 2400 pack. I had an REI 85. A lot heavier, but handled the monster load.

tflaris
08-10-2017, 19:13
I've only done the 1st section of the PCT. My 1st. backpacking experience. I was dropped off by a bus in Campo, all alone, with a 54 pound pack, 8 liters of water, 67 years old! I was one scared ole fool! Somehow I made it back alive! For that, I wouldn't have dreamed of using that 2400 pack. I had an REI 85. A lot heavier, but handled the monster load.

You are my hero!

tflaris
08-10-2017, 19:16
I can't lose 12 pounds, tho. Well, according to the hmg specs, you should be able to go up to 40 with the 2400.
If you think I need,a bigger pack, I'd probably go up to 4400 - just cause there's not that much weight difference between the 34 and 44.
Do you think the larger pack will carry the weight and be easier on the shoulders?

Load lifters help. But I would suggest maybe looking at the Exos 58 it's not much heavier but seems to carry heavier loads better. I used one on a JMT Thru in 2016 and it also carried the Bearikade Weedend Bear Canister horizontally.

egilbe
08-10-2017, 19:17
Im not sure if there is much of a difference between a 2400 or a 3400, other than pack volume. I believe they are built the same. They have the same recoomended weight rating. Ask HMG if they can add pack lifters to the pack, if the 3400 doesn't have any. You should have very little weight riding on your shoulders with any pack with a hip belt.

have someone help you measure your torso length. Maybe you do need a tall?

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:26
Im not sure if there is much of a difference between a 2400 or a 3400, other than pack volume. I believe they are built the same. They have the same recoomended weight rating. Ask HMG if they can add pack lifters to the pack, if the 3400 doesn't have any. You should have very little weight riding on your shoulders with any pack with a hip belt.

have someone help you measure your torso length. Maybe you do need a tall?
Just checked the hmg site. According to the specs, max wt for 2400 is 40 lbs, and 60 lbs for the 4400.
It was a long time ago, but I think the folks,at REI measured me, and recommended large. I can't believe, at 5'9", I'd need a tall .

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:29

Load lifters help. But I would suggest maybe looking at the Exos 58 it's not much heavier but seems to carry heavier loads better. I used one on a JMT Thru in 2016 and it also carried the Bearikade Weedend Bear Canister horizontally.

Are you saying there are load lifters on the 4400? I don't think so. If I have to go with a bigger pack, but not one of the larger HMG packs -- I'll probably just use my REI behemoth!

tflaris
08-10-2017, 19:31
Are you saying there are load lifters on the 4400? I don't think so. If I have to go with a bigger pack, but not one of the larger HMG packs -- I'll probably just use my REI behemoth!

You are correct I just went and looked. The 3400 does not have load lifters.

SteelCut
08-10-2017, 19:35
Do you adjust the shoulder straps everytime you put the pack on? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being totally loose, how tight do you tighten them?

I have mine fairly loose. So much so that the pack falls slightly away from my back creating an air gap between my back and my pack. I almost never adjust the straps ... maybe slight re-adjustment once every several days on a long trip if they happen to slip a bit from taking the pack on/off.

My setup is pretty light and I'm generally almost always 25lbs or under. I've done 30lbs with this setup and don't ever recall having shoulder strap issues.

And, btw, these packs are sized by an actual torso measurement and not by height.

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:35
you are my hero!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
lol!!!!!!!!

jefals
08-10-2017, 19:54
I have mine fairly loose. So much so that the pack falls slightly away from my back creating an air gap between my back and my pack. I almost never adjust the straps ... maybe slight re-adjustment once every several days on a long trip if they happen to slip a bit from taking the pack on/off.

My setup is pretty light and I'm generally almost always 25lbs or under. I've done 30lbs with this setup and don't ever recall having shoulder strap issues.

And, btw, these packs are sized by an actual torso measurement and not by height.
Great, thanks! Good info! I feel a little "off balance" or something when it's as loose as you describe, so next time I'll try just slightly more than that.
Yes, I know how they are sized, or kinda. From your neck to your hip, isn't it? But - I guess I could be wrong about this, but wouldn't you say that 2 men the same height would have the same torso length?

egilbe
08-10-2017, 20:28
Yes, I know how they are sized, or kinda. From your neck to your hip, isn't it? But - I guess I could be wrong about this, but wouldn't you say that 2 men the same height would have the same torso length?
Nope, not at all. Generally, you would think that, but its not always so.

https://youtu.be/WO4VqSX3NpQ

pretty much the same for all the mfg, but Im partial to this video

Venchka
08-10-2017, 20:53
Jeff,
If you would go backpacking in wet places your HMG 2400 would weigh 24 pounds. That is very comfortable.
"When do you adjust your shoulder straps? & Scale of 1-10"
I slack them a fixed amount to remove the pack. I snug them up when I put the pack on.
Scale of 1-10: Just enough to stabilize the pack against my back and shoulders with my frameless pack without load lifters.
Keep practicing with the strap buckles. There should be no binding. The webbing should move freely in or out.
Wayne

jefals
08-10-2017, 21:18
Jeff,
If you would go backpacking in wet places your HMG 2400 would weigh 24 pounds. That is very comfortable.
"When do you adjust your shoulder straps? & Scale of 1-10"
I slack them a fixed amount to remove the pack. I snug them up when I put the pack on.
Scale of 1-10: Just enough to stabilize the pack against my back and shoulders with my frameless pack without load lifters.
Keep practicing with the strap buckles. There should be no binding. The webbing should move freely in or out.
Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Well, all the great hikin just can't be done In only wet places out here in the old desert. Thanks for the strap tips. I'll keep practicing!

jefals
08-10-2017, 21:27

I can see why! :)
But, I'd like to see 6 or 7 ladies, say, Anna and her friends, all the same height, all standing next to each other, and see if they all wind up with different torso measurements! I'm betting they'd all be the same...

zig-zag man
08-11-2017, 09:49

Sweet Jesus. Yes, it is a great video.

Venchka
08-11-2017, 19:04
I can see why! :)
But, I'd like to see 6 or 7 ladies, say, Anna and her friends, all the same height, all standing next to each other, and see if they all wind up with different torso measurements! I'm betting they'd all be the same...

You would be wrong. Leg length has more to do with torso length. I'm 5'-8" with 30" inseam and I'm on the border of medium and large packs. Like shoes, no two companies make the same size pack.
Wayne

LDog
08-12-2017, 07:49
I would have to agree with tflaris. 32 lbs is pushing it for packs designed for UL loads. What you described is eggsactly what I experience with my ULAs when they're overloaded. And they have load lifters.

The minimal suspensions these packs have are just not designed to transfer weight from shoulders to hips when loads are in excess of 30 lbs. Its a big part of how such packs can be so light. They're really designed for base loads less than15 lbs.

Mine is fine at 28, but starts talking to me above that. My base weight for 3 season east coast backpacking is 14 lbs. Add 10 lbs of food, and 4 lbs of water, and I'm right at 28 lbs. A couple days of eating thru my food bag, and it's right comfy.

Try taking 4 lbs out and trying it on. Assuming it fits right, I'm willing to bet it will make a huge difference in your comfort. Then lay out your gear and have a real conversation with yourself about what you really need, and what you can leave out.[emoji41]

LDog
08-12-2017, 08:12
Great, thanks! Good info! I feel a little "off balance" or something when it's as loose as you describe, so next time I'll try just slightly more than that.
Yes, I know how they are sized, or kinda. From your neck to your hip, isn't it? But - I guess I could be wrong about this, but wouldn't you say that 2 men the same height would have the same torso length?Torsos lengths vary wildly between folks of the same height. I learned this the hard way by buying a pack that was too large, and it was never comfortable on me. With the guidance of a good pack fitter, I figured out my hips are a lot higher than I thought they were! A week ago I was at REI and tried on an Osprey Exos 48. With the hip belt on my hips, I need a small to be able to properly wrap the shoulder straps around my shoulders. I'm 6' tall.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Venchka
08-12-2017, 10:48
Height and inseam dimension would be a better predictor of torso length.
Ok Jeff. The Jury has spoken. Hike the TRT with 2.5 liters of water and no clothes in your pack. Food is iffy as well.
Or. Call HMG and ask for a return authorization number. Demand your money back. Apparently your 40 pound load capacity is really only 25.
The ULA Catalyst will handle 40 pounds without pain. Been there. Done that. At 12,100'.
Wayne

jefals
08-12-2017, 11:04
ok, ldog, thanks for both replies. I can't really get my base weight down. The problem is the 4.5l water I'm starting with, so I will be losing the weight as I hike. yesterday on my training hike - using info I've gotten from this thread - it was much better in terms of weight off the shoulders. it's definitely not as good at weight transfer as my REI 85, but then that pack will add another 2 or 3 pounds! What a conundrum!
re: Different torso lengths for people at same heights. A couple others have told me this. Very interesting, and I'm surprised to find that out.

LDog
08-13-2017, 05:31
I don't think so. I'm 5'9" and I have a large.I remember my pack fitter telling me that few people need a large ...

Venchka
08-13-2017, 16:55
I remember my pack fitter telling me that few people need a large ...

That might be true if every pack was built on the identical pattern. Alas, they aren't all the same, just like shoes. Adjustable packs throw another wrench in the works.
Best to try in person or with a liberal return policy.
Wayne

Venchka
08-13-2017, 20:36
That might be true if every pack was built on the identical pattern. Alas, they aren't all the same, just like shoes. Adjustable packs throw another wrench in the works.
Best to try in person or with a liberal return policy.
Wayne

From a for sale listing.
ZPacks Arc Blast.
The medium torso fits: 19 - 23 inches.
That pack would be a large from any other vendor.
Wayne

Venchka
08-16-2017, 16:28
Jeff must be doing ok. He sent this photo today from the TRT.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/e01d884834fdbfcb67972d3c0e164771.jpg
Wayne

Deacon
08-17-2017, 11:44
IMHO, measuring your torso length is useless. The only way to fit the pack is to try it on.

Buckle the waist belt, then make sure the shoulder straps do NOT wrap over the shoulders.

Again, IMHO, the shoulder straps should not curve over downward, but straight (level, horizontally) to the pack. That will ensure there is no weight on the shoulders.

PatmanTN
08-17-2017, 15:49
I have no experience with HMG but individual physiology plays a role in addition to vertical fit. After years of trying them out and watching the technology evolve, I still find very few ultralight packs comfortable with any weight at all. Some are tolerable, but honestly, I've yet to find one truly comfortable (still looking and trying). Musculature and back shape are a factor. For example any pronounced lumbar support makes me hurt (same for the pads people sometimes put in their office chairs); I have a pretty flat lower back. I would not suffer to achieve some arbitrary weight goal. If one or two more pounds in pack weight is what it takes to not hurt then so be it.

Venchka
08-19-2017, 19:26
I have no experience with HMG but individual physiology plays a role in addition to vertical fit. After years of trying them out and watching the technology evolve, I still find very few ultralight packs comfortable with any weight at all. Some are tolerable, but honestly, I've yet to find one truly comfortable (still looking and trying). Musculature and back shape are a factor. For example any pronounced lumbar support makes me hurt (same for the pads people sometimes put in their office chairs); I have a pretty flat lower back. I would not suffer to achieve some arbitrary weight goal. If one or two more pounds in pack weight is what it takes to not hurt then so be it.

Amen Brother! The same is true for my sleep system.
Weight? Don't know. Don't care.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", he said packing his 42 year old backpack.
Wayne

jefals
08-19-2017, 19:43
IMHO, measuring your torso length is useless. The only way to fit the pack is to try it on.

Buckle the waist belt, then make sure the shoulder straps do NOT wrap over the shoulders.

Again, IMHO, the shoulder straps should not curve over downward, but straight (level, horizontally) to the pack. That will ensure there is no weight on the shoulders.
Well, I was out hiking with it for 3 days. 34 pounds, including full supply of water. If I tighten the straps, I get weight on the shoulders. Loosen it, and I think the belt is lower than it should be, and bottom of pack seems to be resting on my tailbone. Maybe I just haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Venchka
08-19-2017, 23:02
Jeff,
Since you told me about your strap problems, I have paid close attention to the straps on my packs. I swear I can shorten or lengthen the straps 1/16"-1/8" at a time. No, I can't see the ladderlock buckles they are at my side below my armpits. I can adjust by feeling the webbing move with my thumb.
When you tell me that you have to remove the pack, adjust the straps, put on the pack back and hope you got it right, my only thought is "Something is broken."
Wayne

jefals
08-19-2017, 23:35
Jeff,
Since you told me about your strap problems, I have paid close attention to the straps on my packs. I swear I can shorten or lengthen the straps 1/16"-1/8" at a time. No, I can't see the ladderlock buckles they are at my side below my armpits. I can adjust by feeling the webbing move with my thumb.
When you tell me that you have to remove the pack, adjust the straps, put on the pack back and hope you got it right, my only thought is "Something is broken."
Wayne

Nothing is broken, Wayne. It's just that I can't easily open the buckle with the webbing tight.with all the weight in the pack. If I'm sitting on a rock the right shape where I can rest the pack on it, so as to create a little slack, then I'm fine.

Venchka
08-20-2017, 07:38
Nothing is broken, Wayne. It's just that I can't easily open the buckle with the webbing tight.with all the weight in the pack. If I'm sitting on a rock the right shape where I can rest the pack on it, so as to create a little slack, then I'm fine.

Sorry Jeff. I've had more weight in a heavier pack than yours and no trouble working for straps. All 8 or 11 of them.
Let me know how the Robert Redford REI pack works.
Wayne

Venchka
08-20-2017, 08:54
Bill Murray was right.
"It just doesn't matter."
Just get out there and go.
Backpacker on the PCT. Zoom in.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/bafdb177eaaf18beb3b8a978e4fe69b9.jpg
Have fun!
Wayne