PDA

View Full Version : Comments wanted about planned NJ trip Millburn-Blairstown Rd to NJ 23 High Point

NJdreamer
08-11-2017, 22:43
I am planning a 2 night trip at the end of August to NJ sections 4 and 5 with a small group. This is Millburn-Blairstown Road to NJ 23 High Point State Park. I am watching the weather and will postpone if temperature is in upper 80s or 90s. Have studied multiple sources (Gutthook's, ATC books, AT profiles and Rohland's parking info). Will park cars at Millburn-Blairstown Road and High Point State Parking lots. Will hike northbound, start at mile 1308 (or so), get water at stream (1316) 2 miles before Brink Road shelter, stay in that shelter area (1318), get water at 1324 stream, ask southbound hikers at water status at Mashipacong shelter (any left there?), stay at Mashipacong shelter (1330), hike out to NJ 23 (1336). I realize water is not guaranteed. Gutthook's and some notes on Whiteblaze indicate water status. One possibility is to leave a car at Culvers Gap, with water, but then going northbound, we would have to load up with the water before the uphill climb. We could leave water out too, but don't want to be viewed as trashing the AT.

Any comments or suggestions about the direction or water sources or terrain? I realize it is probably rocky but am wondering how good/bad it might be and am aware the elevation changes are minor (and maybe frequent) except at Culvers Gap (+500 feet both ways), but am hoping it is not like glacier rocks in Lehigh Gap area. Thanks for your input.

sfdoc
08-12-2017, 16:30
Whiteblaze guide says no water a Mashipacong shelter. Brink Road shelter is .2 mi off trail, down hill. Water is another 900ft. If you leave car overnight at Culver's Gap, register it at the Stokes State Forest office. I just hiked southbound from Culver's to the DWG Rec. Area and there was no water except at the Brink Road shelter area. And, yes, the descent into and climb out of Culver's is steep.

NJdreamer
08-13-2017, 20:06
Whiteblaze guide says no water a Mashipacong shelter. Brink Road shelter is .2 mi off trail, down hill. Water is another 900ft. If you leave car overnight at Culver's Gap, register it at the Stokes State Forest office. I just hiked southbound from Culver's to the DWG Rec. Area and there was no water except at the Brink Road shelter area. And, yes, the descent into and climb out of Culver's is steep.

Sfdoc - thanks for the updates. That is helpful.

NJ Dreamer