PDA

View Full Version : Men's Hiking Pants

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2017, 16:59
I need a recommendation for a pair of hiking pants for a young man with a very athletic build. They're for use in Maine in the fall.

What do you recommend and why? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not made of $ :rolleyes:

egilbe
08-12-2017, 17:03
You want zip offs? Try TNF or REI. White Sierra makes some that are pretty light weight, but can say they arent as durable as the supplex nylon in my TNF hiking pants.

everything else I have experience with is kinda pricey...RailRiders and Patagucci

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2017, 17:10
I tried REI....they had nothing that looked like what I wanted, but then I'm not sure what I'm looking for. What makes a good pair of pants for men? Probably not the same things I'd look for for myself. Yes, zip-offs I think for all the fordings.

Click
08-12-2017, 17:48
I went to Active Endeavors and talked with a sales person that has hiked a lot. He uses Kuel (?) pants. I bought one and liked it a lot: lite weight, strong, quick drying (I'm a sweater): I bought 2 more. Also got some patagonia shorts.
However​, none of it was cheap. If you are not in a hurry try sales in the off season??

egilbe
08-12-2017, 17:54
For me, has to fit in the waist and the zip offs have to be above the knee. Its not a problem, because I have long legs, but shorter people have complained about the zipper hitting them on the knees. Have to have enough room for my the family jewels to move freely, but the crotch can't be so long that it impedes walking. I like cargo pockets for snacks and/or trash.

glenlawson
08-12-2017, 18:31
by "athletic build" do you mean large thighs and a small waist? I find the REI pants fit that bill. I would try to have him try on a pair to determine fit for a couple of brands then start scouring ebay. I have found some great deals on ebay where someone has worn something a couple of times.

Mountain Wildman
08-12-2017, 19:00
Check out Sierra Trading: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-hiking-and-travel-pants~d~357/specdataor~features!convertible/

Convertible Hiking pants from $19.99 to $49.99

RailRiders has their Zip-Off pants on sale for $49.50: https://www.railriders.com/men-zion-zip-off-pant-p-1125.html?cPath=104_110

Both sites plus shipping etc...

Heliotrope
08-12-2017, 19:21
My favorite pants so far are EMS Rumney pants. They cost 50$ and have stretch nylon. I'm leaner and athletic and many other brands are baggy and unflattering. In the Summer I use montbell Dynamo wind pants which end up in the pack most of the day as I'm wearing shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2017, 19:24
by "athletic build" do you mean large thighs and a small waist? I find the REI pants fit that bill. I would try to have him try on a pair to determine fit for a couple of brands then start scouring ebay. I have found some great deals on ebay where someone has worn something a couple of times.

Yes, basically as you describe (in regards to the physique only). When I did the "category" search at REI none of their products popped up, but I'll try again. I'm a fan of REI brands in general.

Billy Goat
08-12-2017, 20:34
I love my Kühl renegade pants. They're waterproof, have some gentle stretch and fit nicely. They're not as cheap as I would like ($90/pair) but they hold up well, and are thick enough for cooler weather comfort, easily vented for warmer weather and easy to zip off with shoes on. They also, unlike most brands I have found, can be bought like regular pants. No small medium large. If you wear a 28x32, you can buy a 28x32. If you wear a 42x30, you can get that. I can't say enough good about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2017, 20:35
My favorite pants so far are EMS Rumney pants. They cost 50$ and have stretch nylon. I'm leaner and athletic and many other brands are baggy and unflattering. In the Summer I use montbell Dynamo wind pants which end up in the pack most of the day as I'm wearing shorts.

Thank you! I went on the EMS website and there are some very promising options....all on sale!

Ethesis
08-12-2017, 20:41

and I think "young man" and "too lazy to do their own research" are synonyms so I'll go with the former.

I have the large thighs but not the small waist. The REI pants worked well enough for me that I got the insectsheild treatment for them.

Heliotrope
08-12-2017, 22:45
Thank you! I went on the EMS website and there are some very promising options....all on sale!

Sweet!

Huntmog
08-12-2017, 23:08
Prana Stretch Zion are THE most comfortable hiking pants iv ever owned and ill never look back. Snaps to roll for fording or to cool off. Vents on the inseam. light weight and breathable.

Look around and you'll find them on sale..... but they are legit.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-12-2017, 23:11
Prana Stretch Zion are THE most comfortable hiking pants iv ever owned and ill never look back. Snaps to roll for fording or to cool off. Vents on the inseam. light weight and breathable.

I will certainly look for them. Comfort is of the utmost important.

Rex Clifton
08-13-2017, 07:24

+1 on the Prana Zion pants. I have both the regular and convertible. My only quibble is that I wish the convertible shorts were cut a little higher. The seam ends right at my knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TTT
08-13-2017, 09:00
First Ascent make decent pants

Product Information (https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/first-ascent-mens-utility-zip-off-pants-2?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8b_MBRDcARIsAKJE7lmNnceMAUDsmobxoV C6P8ClgS718ZjVGoqZdRpYeHhTVjeTZesfTukaAvaTEALw_wcB #panelInformation)Extremely versatile, these durable trousers are an essential piece of gear for any hiking trip, be it in the berg or the bush. Convert them into shorts by simply zipping off the trouser leg, or just zip them halfway for some extra ventilation.

Quick drying, wicking, UV resistant fabric
Adjustible belt
Zip-off convertible legs
9 Secure multi purpose storage pockets

Bronk
08-13-2017, 10:18
Nylon jogging pants $10 at Walmart.

ldsailor
08-13-2017, 11:30
I wear Columbia pants. They have the zip-off legs, Velcro and zippered pockets, the shell is 100% nylon and the lining is 100% polyester. But the feature I like the most is the elastic waist band (they also have belt loops for a belt). I tend to lose a lot of weight when hiking, so the elastic waist band is a great feature. The pants dry fast. I have the darker color, so the pants don't show dirt as readily as a lighter shade. I bought two pair at a Columbia outlet store for less than $50 each.

I've worn the Columbia pants over a 1,000 miles of hiking on the AT.

Bansko
08-14-2017, 07:53

Agreed; they are the best long hiking pants I've ever owned. In warmer weather though, some good running shorts (Brooks, REI, it doesn't matter) are far better than any covert blessed or "hiking shorts".

Bansko
08-14-2017, 07:56
Oh, how I dislike spellchecker and word complete. "Covert blessed" = convertible.

Bansko
08-14-2017, 07:58
Yes Prana Stretch Zions are expensive, but one pair lasted an entire through hike and I still wear them.

Puddlefish
08-14-2017, 10:47
White Sierra cheapo convertibles are far lighter, breathable and quick drying than any of the trendy expensive ones I own. I found the Prana pants too hot, but I wear shorts down to 35 degrees or so (depending on the wind.) The mud stained White Sierra are the ones I take on the trail, the fancy ones are the ones I wear to go grocery shopping.

Bansko
08-14-2017, 10:59
White Sierra cheapo convertibles are far lighter, breathable and quick drying than any of the trendy expensive ones I own. I found the Prana pants too hot, but I wear shorts down to 35 degrees or so (depending on the wind.) The mud stained White Sierra are the ones I take on the trail, the fancy ones are the ones I wear to go grocery shopping.

Pranas and running shorts. All bases covered.

Puddlefish
08-14-2017, 12:24
Pranas and running shorts. All bases covered.

I like a few pockets in my hiking shorts. I did bring a skimpy pair of running shorts to wear as laundry shorts. (Apologies to anyone who actually saw me wearing them.)

Mags
08-14-2017, 14:28
Agreed; they are the best long hiking pants I've ever owned.

The Wrangler versions are near clones of some of the Prana pants if someone is looking for a budget version.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/performance-lightweight-outdoor-pant-nw740

ScareBear
08-14-2017, 21:30
I went to Active Endeavors and talked with a sales person that has hiked a lot. He uses Kuel (?) pants. I bought one and liked it a lot: lite weight, strong, quick drying (I'm a sweater): I bought 2 more. Also got some patagonia shorts.
However​, none of it was cheap. If you are not in a hurry try sales in the off season??

Kuhl Renegade zipoffs are great, but 100 bucks. REI Sahara's are about 60 bucks. I wear Craghopper stretch zipoffs, but I don't think they are sold in the US anymore. UK for sure, but not in US that I can find. Shame, best pants ever.

You can't go wrong with Kuhl, just make sure it doesn't have cotton. For whatever reason, Kuhl outdoor gear often has cotton...

Nodust
08-14-2017, 21:35
The Wrangler versions are near clones of some of the Prana pants if someone is looking for a budget version.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/performance-lightweight-outdoor-pant-nw740

I'm going to order a pair now.

Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TTT
08-15-2017, 02:07
I did a test to determine the drying times in 2 pairs of pants I have. The one is a thicker 35% cotton / 65% polyester blend with a wax coating, and the other is a thin nylon synthetic. I soaked the legs of both in my bath and hung them up. By the time I had finished bathing, the cotton blend was bone dry and the nylon was damp.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-20-2017, 17:21
Thanks to everyone here who has contributed info. I've found quite a few of the suggestions and we've given them a try-on. Ultimately we decided on a pair of REI saharas (clearanced) and some Wallyworld (Russell) exercise pants for camp/backup.

Note to EMS fans: Bob's Store, a NE retailer, carries EMS closeouts at really good prices. They're online for out-of-regioners.

Thanks again everyone.....he seems content.

scrabbler
08-20-2017, 21:31
Since you know more than the rest of us about what your specific needs and wants are, why dont you try searching for models you like, and asking for opinions on those specific items?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-20-2017, 22:30
Found what we needed, thanks.

Another Kevin
08-21-2017, 14:06
Ultimately we decided on a pair of REI saharas (clearanced).

Hi, Teacher, I came late to the party again... but before I read to the end of the thread, I was about to say that this is about the season when REI starts having clearance sales on the Sahara pants (and EMS starts clearing their counterparts). When you and I go out with Gumball, you'll likely see me in a pair, picked up on clearance. They're pretty much standard-issue nylon convertible hiking pants. I know some of the opinionated people here think that standard-issue convertible hiking pants are unsuitable - but you'll see a lot of the rest of us wearing them. Different hiking styles, I think, rather than ignorance.

Wolfpacker
08-21-2017, 23:16
Has anyone had any experience with the Academy Sports Magellan Outdoors Convertible Pant at about $25?

4eyes
09-02-2017, 09:55
Columbia silver ridge's are pretty sweet, if you never want to zip-off

gbolt
09-02-2017, 10:25
Columbia silver ridge's are pretty sweet, if you never want to zip-off

I have the convertibles and worth the $30 on sale price. But they use a nylon belt and have no draw string. They are heavier than the Aruba II style. I also don't like that the back pocket is not zippered to secure money or wallet. If the Silver Ridge used some of the Aruba features, it could be number one versus number 3 in my opinion.

Bearleg
09-04-2017, 18:13
I recently bought a pair of Duluth Trading Co Dry on the Fly pants, fit is great , I'm 6'2" 250 Ath build , if you can get them on sale worth every penny. They do not have zip off legs. Plenty of room in the crouch and legs. They are even nice enough to wear to work.

Crossup
09-11-2017, 14:40
Really hard to go wrong with North Face PARAMOUNT TRAIL CONVERTIBLE PANTS @$70 full price.
Found my first set on sale at half price and I see several places online at $49 currently.

Being a mountain biker I have several sets of two piece leg warmers which when added under the Trail pants will extend their use down to freezing temps while still allowing you to stay comfy at moderate temps by using various combos. I'm especially fond of wearing the warmers with the lowers off the pants in cooler weather and like that its easy to make adjustments to compensate for sun and shade, wind etc and maintain that perfect temp.