PDA

View Full Version : Sept 8 to Oct 17th NC and VA section hike info request

WazoAZ
08-13-2017, 15:28
I am going on a 5 week section hike starting at Standing Bear (just north of GSMNP) in NC up into VA starting on Sept 8 and ending around Oct 17th.

I'd like to get some information about weather along the AT from NC to about Central VA. How cold will it be at night? I have the choice of one of two sleeping bags

Kelty ignite 18 degrees
Jacks R Better Shenandoah quilt. They say it is good down to 40-45 degrees.

I am not familiar with the temps along that part of the AT in the early Fall. Is the quilt enough? My guess is that I'd be pushing it. I do have a great Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm (r value of 5.7) pad. With that said, the 18-degree bag seems perhaps like overkill. The Kelty with the Neoair Xtherm and some wool kept me toasty in my BA Fly Creek 2 last Feb and March in GA, NC, and TN when the lows were in the 20s and below.

I will have either some silk or merino wool underwear along.

Also, would it be beneficial to bring a coat? I have a TNF Thermoball. Again, it kept me toasty warm when it was in the teens at night last Feb. but am wondering if that would also be overkill. If it is, what is a good suggestion for a lighter coat? Cheap is better than expensive.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Wazo

X-Pat
08-13-2017, 16:40
I agree, the 18 degree bag would be overkill. You should be perfectly fine with the quilt and some layers.
Regarding the coat, I own a cheap Costco down jacket that I bring when I'm out there during that time of the year.

Venchka
08-13-2017, 17:10
The internet has a bewildering array of facts.
Middle of Virginia. Second week of October.
45 degree quilt.
Good luck.
You don't say how much the Kelty bag weighs or if the temperature rating is accurate.
It's easily possible for the extra clothing needed to get the 45 degree quilt to work at freezing to weigh as much as the Kelty bag. Morning low temperatures in October might be the warmest lows that you see.
Or not. Every year is different.
Have a great hike!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-13-2017, 21:40
The internet has a bewildering array of facts.
Middle of Virginia. Second week of October.
45 degree quilt.
Good luck.
You don't say how much the Kelty bag weighs or if the temperature rating is accurate.
It's easily possible for the extra clothing needed to get the 45 degree quilt to work at freezing to weigh as much as the Kelty bag. Morning low temperatures in October might be the warmest lows that you see.
Or not. Every year is different.
Have a great hike!
Wayne

Thought the same.....my 20* EE Enigma is 21 oz vs 45* JRB quilt is 18oz....if I opted for heavier base layer i.e. cap 4 vs cap 2 it would weigh several oz more than taking the warmer quilt.....weigh your options....

Hikingjim
08-14-2017, 07:56
The kelty one is probably a better temp rating, but it's likely close to 2 lbs (or at least 1.5 lbs heavier than the quilt).
I would go with the quilt, but bring a down jacket and a hat for sure. Or the thermoball might do the trick

If you're getting a little chilly in the 40s or high 30s and you see colder weather coming up, you can get a couple more items in town

A 20f quilt would probably be ideal, but with what you got, I'd offer the above advice

Pastor Bryon
08-14-2017, 08:01
Virginia is notoriously all over the map temp wise in October. You could hit a warm or cold spell. In the higher elevations, you don't want to get get caught without enough layers, especially if it is rainy.

Personally, I would recommend the quilt and thermoball. If you get into October and find that it is overkill and the forecast looks very favorable, mail the thermoball home and pick up a lighter jacket from a local retailer. Just keep in mind that the the higher elevations don't behave like the valleys with regards to temps/wind.

Tennessee Viking
08-14-2017, 11:27
The 2016 average temps for the NC mountains north of GSMNP averaged around 60*-70* highs. October time drops to highs of around 60*. Above 3500' probably around 5-10* cooler for the day; 10-20* at night. Frosts can happen anytime.

ldsailor
08-14-2017, 12:04
I did from Big Bald (mile 325) to Marion, VA last year beginning October 2. A few nights it got a little chilly, but my 30 degree bag was more than enough. Quite a few nights the bag was unzipped because it was warm. I wore a light fleece in the evening in camp, whether I needed it or not.

Days were warm, too, but last year might have been a little unusual.

WazoAZ
08-14-2017, 13:24
Thanks to all. I think it will be the quilt + thermoball + some silk or wool long underware.

Venchka
08-14-2017, 18:39
I hope it works for you. There is an outfitter and a USPS post office in Damascus, VA.
Good luck!
Wayne

Hikingjim
08-16-2017, 08:12
Thanks to all. I think it will be the quilt + thermoball + some silk or wool long underware.

If you find your setup is too cold and there's colder weather on the way, you should have your other bag ready for someone to mail you

WazoAZ
08-17-2017, 15:32
bewildering might be a key point there, thus the post here for information.