PDA

View Full Version : October 15th cut off date

Calamine
08-14-2017, 18:58
Hello
i was wondering if October 15 is the real cut off date to complete a Kathadin?
or if you are a little after that date are you pretty much screwed?
Thanks,
Calamine

egilbe
08-14-2017, 19:15
Once it snows and the park closes the Tote road, you have to wait until its Winter again and then you can climb Katahdin.

But usually, they close the park to overnight camping and still allow hikers to climb Katahdin weather permitting. Its a crapshoot.

Calamine
08-14-2017, 19:28
Once it snows and the park closes the Tote road, you have to wait until its Winter again and then you can climb Katahdin.

But usually, they close the park to overnight camping and still allow hikers to climb Katahdin weather permitting. Its a crapshoot.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
08-14-2017, 19:35
campgrounds close on the 15th. the mountain doesn't

Calamine
08-14-2017, 19:36
campgrounds close on the 15th. the mountain doesn't

Cool. So do people just hang out in town or at a hostel while they wait there chance?

TJ aka Teej
08-14-2017, 20:26
Katahdin Stream Campground and the Birches Long Distance site stay open until October 22nd, as they have for several years.
Trails up the mountain may close before campgrounds do.
If you're nobo, and late in the season, do this when you get to Monson:
Flip up to Baxter, summit, stay at Katahdin Stream, and hike the 100 back to Monson.
Call the Park for a reservation, and arrange a shuttle thru Shaws or Lakeshore House.
Buy your resupply for the 100 in Monson at Pete's Place or the new General Store.
Nobos guide to Baxter and Katahdin (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/first-blog-post/).
Hope this helps!

Calamine
08-14-2017, 22:05
Katahdin Stream Campground and the Birches Long Distance site stay open until October 22nd, as they have for several years.
Trails up the mountain may close before campgrounds do.
If you're nobo, and late in the season, do this when you get to Monson:
Flip up to Baxter, summit, stay at Katahdin Stream, and hike the 100 back to Monson.
Call the Park for a reservation, and arrange a shuttle thru Shaws or Lakeshore House.
Buy your resupply for the 100 in Monson at Pete's Place or the new General Store.
Nobos guide to Baxter and Katahdin (https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/first-blog-post/).
Hope this helps!

Calamine
08-14-2017, 22:08
Thanks! Hopefully I'll make it without flip-flopping. I'm giving myself all of September, and as much time as possible in October.(starting from Mt Moosilauke.

Calamine
08-14-2017, 22:09
Thanks! Hopefully I'll make it without flip-flopping. I'm giving myself all of September, and as much time as possible in October.(starting from Mt Moosilauke. That sounds like a reasonable amount of time, correct? Correct –-ish?