PDA

View Full Version : AWOL Guide

zig-zag man
08-15-2017, 05:42
1. When will the 2018 AWOL Guide be available for purchase?

2. How much change could I expect by planning a 2018 hike utilizing a 2016 AWOL Guide?

Deacon
08-15-2017, 06:49
1. The guide for the coming year is available the first week in January.

2. For planning purposes, you should have no problem using the older copy. The differences will be town information (new/closed hostels, new businesses, changed hours, etc.), and tenths of a mile differences in mileage.

I always use the previous year's copy for any planning. You may want to just check your plan with the new copy if you're relying on a business's hours.

soumodeler
08-15-2017, 07:40
You could very easily complete a thru hike with an outdated version. Not much changes, and what does is often insignificant to your hike.

Jeff
08-15-2017, 09:28
Agree that most changes are regarding town services and prices.

However, there has been an explosion of new accommodation options in recent years. In speaking with the folks who publish The AT Guide, one of their challenges is squeezing in all the new town services that want to get in the book. You are seeing more and more listings for bus schedules, taxi info, veterinarians, walk in clinics, rental car companies, shuttle providers.

illabelle
08-15-2017, 10:52
Still using my 2013 AT Guide. Mountains haven't moved. Updates have been of little consequence.

capehiker
08-15-2017, 11:24
I believe there is some re-routing that will be in effect for 2018, although it shouldn't impact the trail services side of things.

One Half
08-15-2017, 11:28
given the changes in accommodations and services, personally, I would have no problem planning distances from an older version but if you are relying on mail drops and hostels or shuttle services, I might be inclined to get the newest version before hitting the trail.

SwathHiker
10-04-2017, 19:55
One or two of the seedier hostels in the south are out next year (this year too maybe). And some off the bus in Atlanta have changed ownership and really raised their prices, which is important info to know when firming up your plans early in the hike and heading to the Trail Head.