PDA

View Full Version : Budget Telephones

Zoroaster
08-15-2017, 07:08
I'm looking for a new phone. I have plans to upgrade but not sure about it. It's a good phone though not as fast as I'd like. Also overheats sometimes which I think many do. I know they're lots of choices though I'm trying to limit them. I only have so much time.

DownEaster
08-15-2017, 07:44
Are you looking for a cheap phone or cheap service? A cheaper service plan's savings may exceed the total cost of the phone over the duration of a through-hike (5-6 months). I pay $17/month with Republic Wireless for unlimited voice and text, plus unlimited data but only via WiFi.

soumodeler
08-15-2017, 07:45
Some of the best budget phones out now are the Moto E and G lines from Motorola. Amazon even sells them in an ad supported version that is even cheaper.

Personally the Moto G5 Plus would be my recommendation.

gracebowen
08-15-2017, 09:27
Ive read that walmarts pay as you go is fairly reliable.
I use a cheap lg phone at home. It rarely overheats. I keep it in a case. Ive dropped it lots of times. It still works fine.

Tennessee Viking
08-15-2017, 10:24
If your phone is overheating. Keep it out of your pockets, especially back pockets and never sit on it.

But for shopping for a phone, depends on your preferred service, plan, and trail use if any.

You may have to request a basic phone if you just want to make calls/basic texts. Smartphones you may want a expandable battery pack. But most are going to internal batteries now.

Verizon usually gets the best service on the southern AT and has a few rugged phones.

Spirit Walker
08-15-2017, 10:34
DH has an LG phone from Walmart - one of the pay as you go kind. It doesn't get service in the mountains and even in town most of the time. We bought it so I could contact him when I'm running if there was a problem. 90% of the time we can't connect.

Slo-go'en
08-15-2017, 10:52
I've had good luck with TrackFone. It's given me service pretty much everywhere I've traveled and where it hasn't there just isn't any service.

The small $20 smartphone and $20/60 day plan works for me as I don't actually use it much. If I loose it or break it on the trail, it's easy to replace and I'm not out much money.

Hoosier70
08-15-2017, 13:47
Cricket uses the AT&T system and they have good deals every now and then.

atraildreamer
08-15-2017, 18:14
I've had good luck with TrackFone. It's given me service pretty much everywhere I've traveled and where it hasn't there just isn't any service.

The small $20 smartphone and $20/60 day plan works for me as I don't actually use it much. If I loose it or break it on the trail, it's easy to replace and I'm not out much money.

I use TracFone and never had a problem with service. Check out their website. You can often buy inexpensive phones that offer double or triple minutes for the phone. You can get inexpensive service plans for as little as $9.95/month. If you are not a "Chatty Cathy", you will have more than enough minutes, which BTW, carry over into the next month so you don't lose them. My wife and I have a family plan that costs us a total of $17.77/month.

To save your minutes, don't activate the voicemail feature. If it's important, let the caller call back, or send a text.

Zoroaster
08-15-2017, 22:48
Looks like you all got preferred brands. I am off-contract so unlocked is better (lots of carriers are going non-contract it seems) right now.

I am not a neophile I simply dislike slow and gimmicky products.

MuddyWaters
08-15-2017, 23:23
Buy a used phone

Go with pay as you go service

DownEaster
08-16-2017, 02:43
I'm using an unlocked Moto G4, and my arrangement with Republic Wireless is month-to-month (no contract).

TexasBob
08-16-2017, 09:45
Looks like you all got preferred brands. I am off-contract so unlocked is better (lots of carriers are going non-contract it seems) right now. I am not a neophile I simply dislike slow and gimmicky products.

Moto G phones run near stock android, come unlocked, work on all major carriers, have good battery life, are fast enough for most everybody and are cheap. Should fit your bill.

Rex Clifton
08-16-2017, 09:50
Are you looking for a cheap phone or cheap service? A cheaper service plan's savings may exceed the total cost of the phone over the duration of a through-hike (5-6 months). I pay $17/month with Republic Wireless for unlimited voice and text, plus unlimited data but only via WiFi.

+ 1 on the cheap service. Get a good phone, since the cheap units suck. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is a great phone that you can buy new on the cheap. As far as service, I use Mint Sim and, so far, it's great. They are on the T-Mobile network. Unlimited talk and text plus 2 gig of data for around $15 bucks a month, if you buy the one year plan. They have an intro rate of $12/month for three months so you can check out the service first. Just make sure you buy an unlocked phone in case you want to switch to another carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sailing_Faith
08-16-2017, 12:50
For what it's worth, Trac phones use the Verizon towers, and that makes them work in areas of the AT where other carriers don't.... it's kind of weird, because in most places AT&T phones and Verizon will share towers, but some places (like Virginia) my AT&T phone would have "no service" and my Trac phone would have 4 bars.

rocketsocks
08-16-2017, 15:25
We're all workin' for the Japanese
little cars and color TV's
all the money goes over seas
to the Eastern sphere

one day we're gonna roose our loots
wear oreintal jeans and boots
and drink nothin' but Kawasaki saki rice wine and mitsubishi light beer

"The Doo Doo Wahs"

Zoroaster
08-18-2017, 03:28
This endeavor of trying to get a great cell is work. Need more options.

DownEaster
08-18-2017, 03:51
Moto G phones run near stock android, come unlocked, work on all major carriers, have good battery life, are fast enough for most everybody and are cheap. Should fit your bill.

+ 1 on the cheap service. Get a good phone, since the cheap units suck.

I think you two are using different definitions of "cheap". You can get a $50 phone, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. My Moto G4 (2 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, provision for up to 128 GB µSD card) was $219 and is now available for $199. In hardware it's a good match for an iPhone 6s (OK, my phone's display is 1920x1080 pixels while the 6s is only 1334x750, and the G4 battery is 3000 mAh vs. only 1715 mAh for the Apple), but an unlocked 32 GB iPhone 6s sells for $549 ($649 direct from Apple). $199 is much cheaper than $549, but only "cheap" in comparison; my Granite Gear Crown 2 lists for $199 and I wouldn't call it a cheap pack. The Moto G line is good bang for the buck, while everyone knows iPhones are poor bang/buck. "Cheap" is context-dependent.

Rex Clifton
08-18-2017, 08:29
I think you two are using different definitions of "cheap". You can get a $50 phone, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. My Moto G4 (2 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, provision for up to 128 GB µSD card) was $219 and is now available for $199. In hardware it's a good match for an iPhone 6s (OK, my phone's display is 1920x1080 pixels while the 6s is only 1334x750, and the G4 battery is 3000 mAh vs. only 1715 mAh for the Apple), but an unlocked 32 GB iPhone 6s sells for $549 ($649 direct from Apple). $199 is much cheaper than $549, but only "cheap" in comparison; my Granite Gear Crown 2 lists for $199 and I wouldn't call it a cheap pack. The Moto G line is good bang for the buck, while everyone knows iPhones are poor bang/buck. "Cheap" is context-dependent.

I think where you're going to notice the difference is the camera, but otherwise, a serviceable phone. My point was, if you get a relatively inexpensive phone and end up paying $75-$100 per month for service, is it really a budget phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DownEaster
08-18-2017, 13:51
I think where you're going to notice the difference is the camera, but otherwise, a serviceable phone.
I don't see any significant difference: iPhone 6s is 12 MP, f/2.2; Moto G4 is 13 MP, f/2.0.

My point was, if you get a relatively inexpensive phone and end up paying $75-$100 per month for service, is it really a budget phone?
Exactly, which is why I paired my Moto G4 with Republic Wireless at $17/month.

Puddlefish
08-18-2017, 14:16
I started my hike with a used iphone 4. The camera was terrible, the battery life was terrible, it couldn't run Guthook well. It was like carrying a small rock.

I got a Moto X 2, which has an excellent camera, good battery life, and otherwise suits my needs. I signed up for month to month Verizon at $45 exactly for 1Gb of data, which was more than sufficient for my hike. I texted a lot of pictures to family to update them where I was, and involve them in my hike. I didn't download videos are do a whole lot of web surfing.

MuddyWaters
08-18-2017, 20:45
I have a 2nd gen moto x.(2014)
very good ex-flagship phone and you can get a used one for $75 or less even now
the 16G memory on mine is too small to upgrade to marshmallow, battery is too small 2300 mah. Camera colors can be over-saturated sometimes.
Aside from that, Id keep it till it didnt work if the battery and memory was better. Processor still good enough 3 yrs later..
I have to delete lots of stuff before hiking a few weeks to free up room for a few hundred pics..... Of course I have a few apps and books.

Zoroaster
08-19-2017, 16:04
Lots of motos

Paying month to month on a plan feels poor

One Half
08-19-2017, 16:57
I just love my phone and evidently I am unable to switch networks with it. It's an older iphone5 - 7+ years old. I guess I'm stuck with AT&T???

Puddlefish
08-19-2017, 18:17
Lots of motos

Paying month to month on a plan feels poor

Mine renews automatically and I get a warning when my data usage is near the limit. I was paying $35 a month on a two year plan for a flip phone at one point in my life. It's less about being poor, and more about controlling your own plan and budget, without getting locked into a long term that's annoyingly hard to get out of.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2017, 18:37
I pay 33 / mo for 5 gb data, verizon native service ia total wireless , unlimited texts/calls. 10 for 5gb more if run out.
Automatically recharges. What i give up is no roaming to other networks, speeds capped. Not a probkem.

My family...pays 40 /mo each (3 persons)for 2gb data on ATT family plan, because my daughter is grandfathered with unlimited data.....and. She uses it. And wife pays by mo for the ridiculous $700 phones.