PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 7 Day Section Hike (2018) around Grayson Highlands

souperjen24
08-15-2017, 10:22
Hi all. I'm looking to do my longest section yet, 7 day section hike. I live near the AT in MD and have completed MD, WV, and am working on VA. I decided to do this week-long section in southern VA, through Grayson Highlands. I figure the scenery is awesome and having a week off work will give me plenty of time to drive the 5 hours down there, without cutting into hiking time too much.

My questions for you:

- What is an ideal time of year to do this hike? This would be in 2018, so we pretty much have any month available. We want to stay away from the thru-hiker bubble, so I figure end of April to mid June would be when the majority of the hikers are coming through this area. Not sure if that is correct or not. I was thinking maybe end of March or early April, but I also don't want the weather to be consistently not ideal (super cold or foggy/rainy). Is it hot in this area in the summer, considering it's higher elevation?

- We have a varying range of hiking experience in the group, so I'm thinking planning for 8-10 miles per day should be a good estimate to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time. Do you think with that mileage per day that a 60 mile trip from a Sat - Sat is reasonable? I want to leave us time to resupply at least once (if that's possible, I haven't figured out exactly where we're starting/stopping), and also allow for some buffer time in case anyone gets hurt, needs a longer break, etc.

- If anyone has done a week long section in this area, I would appreciate hearing any tips or advice you have. I've seen a lot of info for a 2-3 day trip from Damascus - Grayson Highlands, but that's not exactly the trip we're doing.

Thanks!

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2017, 10:39
I would say that Damascus to Atkins (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DV&k2=EK&h=1d179e2f&year=2017)would be very doable in a sat to sat. That would be 75 miles but very forgiving terrain, no major climbs in this stretch. Starting out of Damascus would give you the ease of a shuttle service at the start.

Second longest option would be Damascus to Sugar Grove VA16 (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DV&k2=EI&h=1a93b387&year=2017). 64 Miles

Time of year: Grayson's are always busy, so that 15 mile stretch I would exclude from "when is it busy". I would say May would be a nice month to do it as you have the early blooming of the forest yet still cool days and cool nights. If you are really trying to skip the hiker crowd, October is cooler as well.

Weather: When going out for 5+ days your almost guaranteed to have a mixed bag so I would mostly discard trying to pinpoint an ideal week of good weather this far in advance. Now..2-3 days before the trip you see a hurricane has blown into the coast and southern va is reflecting bad storms for the week because of it? Might want to rethink making that drive, some people will go regardless of the weather, some people are fair weather hikers - To each their own and you have to make that call.

Resupply...Not so hot in this area. For a weeklong trip consisting of this mileage I would say no resupply needed. But some want to resupply for the practice/ experience of doing so, and if that is the case then there is a campground .2 or so down the trail at fox creek that may provide some supplies, as well as va16 "Troutdale" however I believe I recall (almost certain) that this is no good for resupply. Your best resupply may be parking a car at Troutdale and having your resupply prepacked in the vehicle. Or possibly doing so at Fox Creek/ mailing a resupply to the campground at Fox Creek. - - My disclaimer on the fox creek Campground is that I have not personally used this in anyway, I have only heard and read about it and that they seem pretty hiker friendly - I have looked on guthooks and do not see any info on this destination more then it is a grassy place to tent and they have restrooms.

If you go all the way to Atkins I believe you can order pizza at the partnership shelter, however I would discourage staying here as it is RIGHT ON the highway.

souperjen24
08-15-2017, 12:42
Thanks Gambit for all of this info. I am thinking that we will park our car at whatever end point we choose and get a shuttle into Damascus. Perhaps we will drive down Friday night and do this, stay in Damascus, and then head out on Saturday morning. Do you know what the parking situation is like at Sugar Grove VA16? Will the car be safe there for a week?

When you suggest May as a good time, are you thinking early May? We definitely want to skip the hiker crowd; just not for us. I was thinking October myself, but it kind of kills me to have to wait over a year :) But I will if I have to. And as far as the weather, I definitely agree with what you're saying. I just didn't want to go during a time of year that it consistently rains, for example, like it's been doing here in MD for half of July and almost all of August. If I can avoid a time of year where it's almost guaranteed to have super rainy or super hot and humid weather, I'll do it. The reason I was asking about the summer is because we took a trip to Seneca Rocks area of WV during July 4th weekend, where it was in the 90's in the valley, but in the low 70's on the trail. Summer is not usually ideal to hike, but if conditions were like that I'd consider it.

That's a bummer about the resupply. I know I can carry 6 days worth of food, but I was hoping to avoid that for the weight. I wonder if we could park in Grayson Highlands, hike south to Damascus for a resupply, then get a shuttle and hike from either Atkins or Sugar Grove to the car at Grayson Highlands. Might be a good way to break up the week and get a shower. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all of your knowledge!

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2017, 13:20
Perhaps we will drive down Friday night and do this, stay in Damascus, and then head out on Saturday morning. Do you know what the parking situation is like at Sugar Grove VA16? Will the car be safe there for a week? Should be, nothing is guaranteed parking on a road side but if its any comfort ive parked road side for 50 trips in the past 3 years and never a single problem. However break-ins do happen time to time.

When you suggest May as a good time, are you thinking early May?
I always deem May 10th as the spring bloom. Its a pretty good date to shoot for if you want to see spring developing.

We definitely want to skip the hiker crowd; just not for us. IF crowds aren't your thing, I would only suggest tenting, its the AT...So your liable to have a shelter or campsite to yourself, or it could be plum full.

I was thinking October myself, but it kind of kills me to have to wait over a year https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Plus to October is the fall colors, the cons are it is possibly out of season for establishments along the trail including possibly some seasonal restraunts or campgrounds. I don't know that that specifically pertains to this stretch. I know I stopped in a bbq place in Damascus 1 winter and it was the last day they were open for "the season"

That's a bummer about the resupply. I know I can carry 6 days worth of food, but I was hoping to avoid that for the weight. I wonder if we could park in Grayson Highlands, hike south to Damascus for a resupply, then get a shuttle and hike from either Atkins or Sugar Grove to the car at Grayson Highlands. Might be a good way to break up the week and get a shower. Any thoughts on this? That sounds like a neat idea, It would eliminate time restraints at the beginning or end of your trip due to shuttle schedule.

MuddyWaters
08-15-2017, 19:42
Hi all. I'm looking to do my longest section yet, 7 day section hike. I live near the AT in MD and have completed MD, WV, and am working on VA. I decided to do this week-long section in southern VA, through Grayson Highlands. I figure the scenery is awesome and having a week off work will give me plenty of time to drive the 5 hours down there, without cutting into hiking time too much.

My questions for you:

- What is an ideal time of year to do this hike? This would be in 2018, so we pretty much have any month available. We want to stay away from the thru-hiker bubble, so I figure end of April to mid June would be when the majority of the hikers are coming through this area. Not sure if that is correct or not. I was thinking maybe end of March or early April, but I also don't want the weather to be consistently not ideal (super cold or foggy/rainy). Is it hot in this area in the summer, considering it's higher elevation?

- We have a varying range of hiking experience in the group, so I'm thinking planning for 8-10 miles per day should be a good estimate to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time. Do you think with that mileage per day that a 60 mile trip from a Sat - Sat is reasonable? I want to leave us time to resupply at least once (if that's possible, I haven't figured out exactly where we're starting/stopping), and also allow for some buffer time in case anyone gets hurt, needs a longer break, etc.

- If anyone has done a week long section in this area, I would appreciate hearing any tips or advice you have. I've seen a lot of info for a 2-3 day trip from Damascus - Grayson Highlands, but that's not exactly the trip we're doing.

Thanks!
The ideal time doesnt exist. Grayson will always be full of people. It a popular place, close enough to a large population.

I went for a tramp late in nov a couple years ago. Temp was in low 30s in day, 17 overnight. It was packed. Probably 100+ people camping within 200 yds of the shelter.
Two school groups and busses at the scales. Dozens of dayhikers and pony-petters.

That said, I like november, or spring. And its an awesome place with treeless terrrain for the eastern US. But it will only take a day to hike thru the good parts.