PDA

View Full Version : Water in Cheoah Bald Area

TBoneWalker
08-15-2017, 15:46
Planning an upcoming trip with our two youngsters to Cheoah Bald area. Will probably enter from Stecoah Gap.

Can anyone advise on the nearest water to the summit coming from the north? Thanks.

Tipi Walter
08-15-2017, 16:01
Check out this link---
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-53636.html

cliffordbarnabus
08-15-2017, 23:16
there's a gap...can't remember the name, with a campsite and blue blazed side trail to water. that's the only option and if i remember correctly, it's approx half way from stecoah.

have fun!

blue indian
08-16-2017, 11:01
Theres a water source at the botton of either end of the Bald. One at the shelter heading NOBO and a piped spring down a blue blazed trail at sassafrass gap (I think thats the name) on the other side of the Cheoah. Either way if youre camping on the bald you gotta haul the H2O up

Tipi Walter
08-16-2017, 11:09
The gap on the other side is called Locust Gap and it has water. Nobody must've read my link as there IS a reported water source atop Cheoah Bald---at least according to one source.

Let's repeat--- (Of course this is old info and so the ribbons are probably gone but water is worth a bushwack exploration)---

Water on Cheoah Bald, There is a spring a couple hundred yards down the west side of the mountain. When you get into the trees, there are plastic ribbons tied on bushes marking the way. In the center of the field at the bottom of the bald, there is a farm/access "road bed". Follow this road for about 30 yards, right before the road turns to the right, there is an old orange flag/tape tied to a limb on the left side of the road. Follow this path, which is marked by an occasional orange flag/tape to the bottom of a small ravine/draw, about 30 yards. The "path" then turns to the right/down hill following the draw to a good spring/creek, about 20 yards. Overall it is around 3/10 of mile from the top of the bald to the water source, it is steep.

This is quite dated so the flagging may be gone. :cool:

blue indian
08-16-2017, 12:06
That is hardley "atop" the bald. Going down that side is quite steep and without any known flagging to guide you, it seems much easier to just camel up at the shelter or locust gap and just carry it up. Its not that far and you dont really have to go out of the way to get it. But if youre feeling adventurous and want to wander around looking for some plastic that might be tied to trees, go for it! Id rather spend my time chillin on Cheoah. That place is a vortex of energy :)

Tipi Walter
08-16-2017, 13:50
Finding a water source right below Cheoah would certainly help in chillin' atop the bald---like spending 3 or 4 days up there . . . hanging out. Especially in a nice windstorm or blizzard. Knowing a nearby water source would be valuable. Or if the snow piles up just melt it. It would be fun to take these directions and go on a water recon. I always like finding hidden water sources near excellent campsites.

Snooze
08-16-2017, 15:44
would love to hear if water is flowing, dripping, or seeping with good spatial separation between Fontana and NOC, include Cheoah: going up this weekend, hoping to find adequate camping for half dozen or so associates, and thinking of caching water, from bear ropes, about halfway between. Snooze

Tipi Walter
08-16-2017, 16:44
would love to hear if water is flowing, dripping, or seeping with good spatial separation between Fontana and NOC, include Cheoah: going up this weekend, hoping to find adequate camping for half dozen or so associates, and thinking of caching water, from bear ropes, about halfway between. Snooze

If you get to the top early in the day you should be able to nab all the spots and there are plenty for a group. Last time I was up there was with Amy Willow on her thruhike in 2006---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/With-Amy-Willow-On-The/i-gPwDPMg/0/4d913323/XL/57-22%20%20Our%20Cheoah%20Bald%20camp-XL.jpg
This pic shows just a small area on Cheoah for tents.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/With-Amy-Willow-On-The/i-R2dXzsM/0/36518862/XL/57-20%20%20Willow%20in%20camp%20on%20Cheoah-XL.jpg
Here's a pic of Amy and her camp with my camp on the right.

TBoneWalker
08-16-2017, 16:50
Thanks for the replies. We'll carry plenty up from the gap, and try to hunt the spring on the west side of the mountain.