PDA

View Full Version : First aid kit

Sunny2000
08-15-2017, 20:36
Hi guys,

I am a newbie from Australia and I decided to train myself up here in Australia before doing the AT.

At this stage I am getting all prepared for my first big hike and was wondering, what you take with you in your First Aid Kit?
Obviously you will need the essentials, but it should not become too big and bulky either.

Any tips and hints?

MuddyWaters
08-15-2017, 20:42
needle
unwaxed dental floss - 6 ft
tweezers
6 ft duct tape
couple bandaids
couple little bandaids
gauze pad
triple antibiotic packets x 2
alcohol wipe x 2
ibuprofen x 30
immodium x 3 days
benadryl x 1 day

The gimp3
08-15-2017, 20:58
Ibuprofen and lots of it.

Hatchet_1697
08-15-2017, 21:14
Hi Sunny, I carry

Alcohol wipes, individual packs (lots)
Assorted size bandaids
Tribiotic packs
Steri-strips
Very small Wound Seal packet
Duct tape (wrapped around my hiking poles)
2 sizes of gauze pads (regular cleans better than the non-stick type)
Large safety pins (used with bandanna, etc. to make an arm sling or stabilize an ankle/knee)
Bug Sting Relief wipes
Tick removal tool
20 gauge sterile piercing needles (yup, sterile, light, and pops a blister great!)

Small Swiss Army knife with scissors (scissors are very useful)

Also, Motrin (pain, inflammation, fever reduction), very small bottle of eye drops, and whatever personal meds your body needs.

The amount I carry depends on how long l'm out for. I figure the above along with a bandanna to cut up will take care of blisters, cuts, sprains, and small breaks. Anything bigger there's always someone coming down the AT who can help. Up North on the AT and in other remote areas I carry an InReach Explorer GPS communicator.

On the AT you are almost always a day or three from an egress point, and usually there are people around to help if it's a bad injury.

Total weight in 1 quart freezer bag and outer high visibility yellow bag is 2.95 ounces. For a 2-3 day trip minus meds.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

StubbleJumper
08-15-2017, 21:18
As noted by the gimp, ibuprofen is good. When your muscles and joints are sore (inflamed) you take a caplet or two before bed, and you wake up feeling like a new man.

Otherwise, here are a few ideas of things that I carry:

-Immodium - most hikers don't carry it, but if, for whatever reason, you happen to get the *****s in the woods you'll be happy to have Immodium. It's about 1 or 2 rams to carry

-Purell (alcohol gel) - a small bottle of purell should be part of your toilet kit to clean your hands after using the toilet. If you get a cut or a scrape, you can use it to disinfect the cut. You can also use it to start a fire if you are cold or damp. This weighs perhaps 30 grams and costs a couple of bucks.

-Blister packs - these are bandaids designed to be put on your feet to cover your blisters. If you are lucky, you won't need them.

-Tweezers - these are included with certain Swiss Army Knives, including the "Classic", which is light weight. Tweezers are helpful for splinters and ticks.

-Allergy meds - early in the season, mold spores can be present. And then tree pollen can be a thing. And then grass pollen. And then ragweed. You get the idea. Over the counter allergy meds can make your life better. I like loratadine and desloratidine. For a couple of grams, your life might be much better.

-Bandaids - a bandaid can be useful in a number of circumstances that you might imagine.

-Steri-strips - I learned the hard way that you might occasionally get such a bad cut that a regular bandaid won't do the job. You can't get stitches in the woods, but the next best option to close a nasty cut are steri-strips. They don't weigh much and do a great job of closing a cut.

ScareBear
08-15-2017, 21:22
It's a loaded topic....

At a minimum, a few xl band aids, some moleskin, some triple antibiotic ointment, painkiller, safety pin or two and a little duct tape...you may want to add a week's course of doxycycline as a Lyme prophylactic. I bring Loperamide as well. Plus some elctrotabs. Benadryl caps are a useful addition, as they can be used as a sedative or anti-emetic as well as an antihistamine.
I also carry alcohol wipes since they will also do double duty as a cleaner before applying fabric repair tape.
And, yeah, I carry a suture kit. It weighs next to nothing and I know how to use it...YMMV...

gbolt
08-15-2017, 21:30
I have carried less Duck tape and more Leucotape. Some use KT Tape also as an alternative. It sticks and stays better. Often don't use mole skin anymore; just the tape.

rocketsocks
08-15-2017, 22:38
Hi guys,

I am a newbie from Australia and I decided to train myself up here in Australia before doing the AT.

you do realize you're down under?

OCDave
08-15-2017, 23:26
Acetaminophen for pain, fever
Ibuprofen for pain
Aspirin for Headache pain, Acute Coronary Syndrome
Loratidine or Cetirizine (Non sedating antihistime) for enviromental allergens or to blunt inflammatory response to mosquito bites
Diphenhydramine and Ranitidine H1 and H2 blocker for early anaphylaxis, sleep and Heartburn
Tums for heartburn
Imodium for diarrhea
Triple antibiotic ointment
Diaper rash cream
Hydrocortizone topical ointment
Water proof bandages
Moleskin
Gauze
Surgical tape
Artificial tears eye-drops or alternate eye flush

I have a kit I carry when with a group and a smaller streamlined version that includes 2 day supply or less of the same when hiking alone.

Martzy13
08-15-2017, 23:53
Do take all the above items into account, but I've gotta say the first thing I saw people (waaaay) over-packing on the Trail was the first aid kits. This is the AT, not a 5 month Australian bush walkabout. Not everything wants to kill you. You're also never more than a couple days from town, if your not too slow. If ibuprofen and a few bandaids can't fix your injury, you're probably better off getting off trail and into town.

Turtle-2013
08-16-2017, 01:24
I find this an interesting topic in that it reflects how much my gear has changed across the board since the 60's and 70's. I SIGNIFICANT first aid kit was always part of my gear in early days ... I had a whole pocket on my 60 cubic inch Kelty Serac just for First Aid. I have bandaids, and pads, and ointments, and wipes and wraps and splints and the list went on and on.... to be fair sometimes I was leading a group ... and today if I was a group leader, responsible for others, I would carry more that I do.

I was certified as an Advanced First Aid Instructor, and CPR Instructor for two methods ..... etc.

Today, for AT hiking, I actually don't carry anything I call a first aid kit ... that said I do carry some of the things that people have listed. I carry some Ibuprofen because I have a knee that will make me get off the trail at times otherwise. I carry a very small tin of Vaseline mixed with Neosporin because at times my shirt rubs and it offers relief. I carry tweezers, clippers, scissors, and and incredibly small knife because they do thing only they can do and weigh so little (I use each for non-first aid needs more than for anything medical). I carry duct tape, and have given it to people for blisters, but since I don't get blisters I am really carrying it for equipment repair. Until recently I carried a few bandaids and such in a vacuum sealed bag ... but I don't anymore.

Mostly I carry my wits and experience ... if I cut myself I'd wrap it in TP, it acts as a good clotting agent, and if I needed to hold it in place I'd probably use a strip of duct tape. If it was very serious cut, or fracture, I'd being using stuff not in my kit anyway (shirt, cord, etc.) ... and evac from the trail.

My main point is that for the AT you need to carry the stuff YOU will need, and you can only figure that out from experience ... but if you mostly carry stuff that has multiple uses, you will find you aren't carrying as much EXTRA, un-necessary weight.

DownEaster
08-16-2017, 02:10
First Aid:
*band-aids (2 medium, 1 small, 1 big)
1 butterfly bandage
*alcohol wipes
triple antibiotic cream
cortisone cream
antihistamine (generic Benadryl)
*ibuprofen (for inflammation)
*acetaminophen (for headache)
anti-diarrhea pills (Imodium)
sunscreen to start, before trees fill in on the Trail
duct tape (wrapped around hiking poles: combine with TP if necessary to bandage big wounds)
2 gauze pads
2 safety pins (can be used with bandana to make a sling)
tick removal tool
lightweight mirror (helps inspect for ticks)
Fiskars travel scissors
*foam earplugs (multipack from big box store)

Dietary Consumables:
*multivitamins
*aspirin (1 every other day for heart health)
*antacids (Calcium supplement)

Items with an asterisk (*) I get more of in my resupply boxes; if I don't need those extras, I can deposit them in a hiker box for someone who might put them to use. Most of the stuff is pretty standard. The exception is the cortisone cream and antihistamine pills. I react very strongly to urushiol (poison ivy), and sometimes I may not notice the trees (bushes) for admiring the forest.

ScareBear
08-16-2017, 05:27
You can also add a small tube of quick-drying cyanoacrylate(SuperGlue) for long-lasting wound closure. Also does double duty for gear repairs...just sayin...

Leo L.
08-16-2017, 06:47
I'm carrying a very small First Aid kit originally designed for use at cycling, and additionally carry some pain killers, and a roll of Leukotape, a scissor (included into the Swiss Army knife), a tiny mirror, a sharp-pointed tweezer.

What I have used so far:
- Leukotape (quite a lot of it - using it, in addition to medical use, for all kind of repairs)
- Pain killers (a mate sprained a wrist once and we gave him pain killers to keep him calm)
- Antibiotics (which I was glad to get from a friend, to fight an infection)
- Scissor, mirror and tweezer come in handy many times.

I try to get and use local herbs for to cure smaller issues, which works surprisingly well.

HooKooDooKu
08-16-2017, 10:03
For those who want a pair of scissors in their 1st Aid kit, I'll repeat my link to the folding pair of Fiskers available at Target (https://www.target.com/p/fiskars-174-folding-scissors-4/-/A-51647312).

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention including a small pair of nail clippers. Sure, if you're careful, you can manage even a long distance hike without having to make use of them. But if you find your self unexpectedly needing them (think kids with you that perhaps are not as prepared for a weekend hike as you), it's a great thing to have.

Sewing kit... I "make" on by getting a small strip of plastic (perhaps cut from a soda bottle). I fold it in half and stick pins through one side a few times (to hold them in place) such that the sharp end winds up at the fold. (The whole purpose for the plastic is to simply create a protective 'case' to prevent the pins sticking you). I then take perhaps 10 to 20 yards of monofiliment nylon thread and simply wrap it round the plastic case.

Of course I take my 1st Aid kit on back packing trips, but I also take it on vacation and family trips (think Disney). Actually, the one time I've needed to make use of my sewing kit was when we were in Disney and a strap broke on my wifes purse. Was able to make a repair while we watched one of the shows and were able to continue our day uninterrupted.

BuckeyeBill
08-16-2017, 11:27
Here is a different spin on your question First Aid kits and Trail (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/125432-Training-and-First-Aid-Kits).

double d
08-16-2017, 12:22
Hi Sunny:

Below is great advice, so I'll re-post from another AT hiker.H

Enjoy your Hike!!!I

Double D

I carry

Alcohol wipes, individual packs (lots)
Assorted size bandaids
Tribiotic packs
Steri-strips
Very small Wound Seal packet
Duct tape (wrapped around my hiking poles)
2 sizes of gauze pads (regular cleans better than the non-stick type)
Large safety pins (used with bandanna, etc. to make an arm sling or stabilize an ankle/knee)
Bug Sting Relief wipes
Tick removal tool
20 gauge sterile piercing needles (yup, sterile, light, and pops a blister great!)

Small Swiss Army knife with scissors (scissors are very useful)

Also, Motrin (pain, inflammation, fever reduction), very small bottle of eye drops, and whatever personal meds your body needs.

The amount I carry depends on how long l'm out for. I figure the above along with a bandanna to cut up will take care of blisters, cuts, sprains, and small breaks. Anything bigger there's always someone coming down the AT who can help. Up North on the AT and in other remote areas I carry an InReach Explorer GPS communicator.

On the AT you are almost always a day or three from an egress point, and usually there are people around to help if it's a bad injury.

Total weight in 1 quart freezer bag and outer high visibility yellow bag is 2.95 ounces. For a 2-3 day trip minus meds.

Hope this helps

DownEaster
08-16-2017, 14:49
Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention including a small pair of nail clippers.
I've got them, but I don't include them in the "first aid" category. They're in the "hygiene" grouping with Dr. Bronner's soap, TP, an extra bandana, cathole trowel, & c. I got cheap nail clippers at Walmart, and they'll probably work fine even though they're smaller (and thus more time-consuming to use) than my normal ones. The important consideration is to get a pair with a built-in file so you can make sure there aren't any rough edges left on your toenails. (Being yanked by your sock with every step is a good way to lose the whole nail.)

Hatchet_1697
08-16-2017, 22:00
You can also add a small tube of quick-drying cyanoacrylate(SuperGlue) for long-lasting wound closure. Also does double duty for gear repairs...just sayin...

I'll second that, a tiny tube of super glue can fix a lot of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Odd Man Out
08-16-2017, 22:47
Fingernail Clippers
Luekotape (cut pieces and stick them to the non-stick backing of peel and stick stickers).
bandaids (mostly for the sterile gauze - the leukotape holds it in place)
soap (mini bar of Ivory)
hydration salts
tick twister
Swiss Army Knife - Ambassador (like the Classic, just slightly larger so the scissors is easier to use. Also has a tweezer)
Needle and thread
Vaseline (all purpose ointment and firestarter)

Sunny2000
08-17-2017, 00:02
Wow - it looks like we could you a forum just for this question *haha*

Thank you so much. I was afraid of over-packing, but also of under-packing.

One thing I picked from a survival guide was (seriously) something which has no weight really, but can be used to transport water - a condom! :D
First I giggled, but actually if you are in an emergency situation that is not a bad idea actually. Unused of course.

I am compiling a list of essentials using your suggestions, I got a Swiss Army Knife, the big one - love it!
Bandages and bandaids are a no-brainer, I did not think of a small mirror! Makes sense if you have an injury to your eyes or so.

Ok, sitting down now and going through everything to make sure I will only take what makes sense...

Thank you again! :-)

Leo L.
08-17-2017, 03:03
One thing I picked from a survival guide was (seriously) something which has no weight really, but can be used to transport water - a condom! :D
..:-)

You may try this out and taste the water carried this way beforehand.
Condoms usually are treated with spermicides, which taste very bitter.

I suspect, that many survival books are filled with nonsense tipps and tricks, which nobody ever really tried out under serious conditions.

If you are looking into a way to carry extra "emergency" water you might as well use ziplock bags (which you will carry anyway).

English Stu
08-17-2017, 07:26
I have FAK list much like those suggested on here. I also carry Kinesio tape in 6inch lengths and a small roll of that tape; I then make notes, after some YouTube tuition, on how to strap ankles, knees, hands to cope with any sprains,twists etc; better than carrying support ankle, knee bandages; can be used for hot spots on feet as well.

TTT
08-17-2017, 07:51
Two safety pins - no needles for sewing as most of the stuff is synthetic.
Tweezers - ticks, or if I feel the urge to pluck my eyebrows
Baby powder for humidity. Nothing beats it
Epsom Salts and Bicarbonate of Soda - multi uses from brushing teeth, removing smells, treating insect bites, to taking a foot bath or soaking sore muscles
Small Magnesium oil rub bottle
Slow Magnesium tablets
Med-Lemon
Deep Heat and an organic based muscle gel that repels insects
Immoduim for 2 doses
Some bandaids of varies sizes that are kept in pants pocket
No alcohol wipes as my hand santitizer is 45% alcohol proof
ibuprofen and curcumin
Advil
Bandage plaster thing
Mosquito wipes and patches - they also burn well if you make a fire.
Vicks vapour rub x 2 - it covers most bases
Throat lozenges
small scissors/nail clippers/emery board/tooth picks/ear buds/lemon grass incense sticks

DownEaster
08-17-2017, 12:55
If you are looking into a way to carry extra "emergency" water you might as well use ziplock bags (which you will carry anyway).
Even better, the dry bags you use to keep the water out of your gear can also be used to carry water. The thinner bags will ooze some, but should be good to transport a significant quantity of water from source to camp. The expensive dry bags should be able to hold the water overnight. I've got one cheap 8L bag that I'll use to carry dirty clothes; for "slosh-washing" (hand agitating) those dirty clothes; and for bulk transport from water source to camp. You should always have one dry bag that can be put to use for carrying water without too much inconvenience. For me, it's the dirty clothes sack.

TKE402
08-17-2017, 14:04
+1 on this one. Multiple uses. It's also very light. Just make sure to buy the kind that is packaged in a mylar zipped bag. This keeps the air out of it and will not glue the tip shut.

Sunny2000
08-17-2017, 21:48
Bahaha - good point! :-)

I think the ziplock bag wins!

English Stu
08-18-2017, 06:33
I did a search on super glue use on wounds, I have tried it on finger cracks and similar and it does work, however not meant for that use. Here in the UK you can get a product called Liquid Skin for minor cuts and abrasions which is safer to use.
The risk with superglue, remember you might be using it one handed, is that you spill some and stick your fingers together or to whatever you touch. Superglue is useful to have with you for gear repairs.

MtDoraDave
08-18-2017, 07:14
My first aid kit is pretty basic.
Ace Bandage
few band-aids
antibiotic ointment
Ibuprofin
Benedryl (sleep aid)
Moleskin

I use the Wet Ones for general cleaning of hands and body, but also used on a bloody toe once. They supposedly kill 99.9% of germs. The trekking poles, I have used as crutches when my knee hurt terribly. Small knife with sharp point has first aid possibilities. As mentioned, cordage and bandannas can be used as first aid. I don't know that nail clippers are first aid or grooming, but long toenails can cause a first aid situation - so for trips longer than a week, nail clippers should be included.
Some have listed multiple NSAIDs in their kits - be careful, according to Doctors and Pharmacists, you shouldn't mix NSAIDs. So Tylenol and one of the others listed, because Tylenol is the only one that isn't an NSAID (or so I understand - I could be wrong).

DownEaster
08-18-2017, 14:03
Some have listed multiple NSAIDs in their kits - be careful, according to Doctors and Pharmacists, you shouldn't mix NSAIDs. So Tylenol and one of the others listed, because Tylenol is the only one that isn't an NSAID (or so I understand - I could be wrong). From here (https://www.verywell.com/can-i-take-aspirin-and-ibuprofen-together-1124016):

The FDA recommends that you consider the following:

If you use ibuprofen occasionally, there is only a minimal risk that the ibuprofen (https://www.verywell.com/can-you-drink-alcohol-while-taking-ibuprofen-4122470) will interfere with the effect of low-dose aspirin.
If you need only a single dose of ibuprofen, take it 8 hours before or 30 minutes after taking a regular (not enteric-coated) low-dose aspirin.

So basically you can start taking aspirin 8 hours after your supply of ibuprofen runs out.

OCDave
08-18-2017, 14:27
...So basically you can start taking aspirin 8 hours after your supply of ibuprofen runs out.

The anti-platelet effect of low dose aspirin is irreversable and occurs within 30 minutes of taking the dose. Just take your Daily Aspirin 30 minutes prior to or 6 hours after your Ibuprofen dose.

Hosh
08-18-2017, 14:37
Everybody will have different needs but I think a FAK should address the following situations. Minor cuts & bites, blisters, diarrhea, allergic reactions, minor pain, wound treatment, stomach acid, and tick/splinter removal. Many good suggestions above.

What I don't see is treatment for major trauma that probably would require external help for evacuation. It's impossible to anticipate and carry everything needed even with a group dedicated to mountaineering. As a stop gap, I carry a blood clotting preparation such as QuikClot. It's a heavy component of the FAK, but will be highly valuable if and when the day it is needed.

QiWiz
08-18-2017, 15:44
What I use the most are Aleve, Bacitracin ointment, and Leukotape. Even with my lightest set of gear options, I would always have these on hand.

rocketsocks
08-18-2017, 19:30
Laxitive
anti-diahretic
pain killer
clean guaze
duck tape
soap & water

blw2
08-19-2017, 21:51
This think is the best I've ever used to remove ticks.
https://www.tickedoff.com/
Bought one years before I ever had a need to use it. When I did I was amazed at how much better than some other gadgets I've tried over the years...and way better than tweezers
I liked it so much after that one time I ordered a bunch more, for all my first aid kits, my truck, one for home, one for son's scout kit......

rocketsocks
08-19-2017, 22:31
And gorilla glue, that snot will fix just about anything.