PDA

View Full Version : Show me your tats!

GolfHiker
08-15-2017, 20:53
Hey all, just home from Katahdin, completing my hike. I have no tats, but wish to go with something subtle, small, likely on my calf, to commemorate, celebrate, and I'm hoping you may share a pic of what you have that will give some ideas.

I told myself I would get a tattoo & now it's time to make it happen. Thank you.

Ragnar Me-Ga '17

RangerZ
08-15-2017, 22:12
Hey all, just home from Katahdin, completing my hike. I have no tats, but wish to go with something subtle, small, likely on my calf, to commemorate, celebrate, and I'm hoping you may share a pic of what you have that will give some ideas.

I told myself I would get a tattoo & now it's time to make it happen. Thank you.

Ragnar Me-Ga '17

Sorry, for a second I thought that I was back in New Orleans.

saltysack
08-15-2017, 22:13
Sorry, for a second I thought that I was back in New Orleans.

Ha me too!🦉🦉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
08-15-2017, 22:26
:bananaShow me you're nuts!

Old Hiker
08-16-2017, 12:29
:bananaShow me you're nuts!

I'm a Thru- hiker - class of 2016 ???????

gpburdelljr
08-16-2017, 12:50
Some variation of the Appalachian trail emblem, an A over a T with the horizontal parts of each letter shared.

gpburdelljr
08-16-2017, 13:26
Google Appalachian Trail Tatoos, select images, and you'll find lots of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=appalachian+trail+tattoos&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF7OK7otzVAhXjDsAKHaFzAL8Q_AUIECgB&biw=1024&bih=672&dpr=2

rocketsocks
08-16-2017, 15:20
I'm a Thru- hiker - class of 2016 ???????winner winner chicken dinner

cneill13
08-16-2017, 17:19
Nothing screams "low rent" more than a tattoo.

Especially for women. But to each her own.

rocketsocks
08-16-2017, 18:42
Rut Roh! :D

One Half
08-16-2017, 20:48

Ragnar Me-Ga '17
Go big or go home. That's what my cousin told me when I told him about the "bracelet" tat I wanted to get a few years back. I now have a half sleeve of Autumn leaves. Done by Black Oak tattoo in NH. One of a kind. My first and only tattoo when I was 43 btw.

One Half
08-16-2017, 20:50
Go big or go home. That's what my cousin told me when I told him about the "bracelet" tat I wanted to get a few years back. I now have a half sleeve of Autumn leaves. Done by Black Oak tattoo in NH. One of a kind. My first and only tattoo when I was 43 btw.

This is my right arm. 40075

D.D.Bear
08-16-2017, 20:57

Have to say I used to think similarly. A few things changed, one being I began to backpack. Through this, I have found a better place in which to live.
Just last year, I had my first tattoo inked -- boot print w AT and a yin yang symbol. Personal design of great import to me. Enjoyed the whole process from design to choosing who was to PERMANENTLY put ink onto something with which I have been blessed. Now enjoy nothing but compliments when out and about! And I am honest enough to repeat, I do enjoy the vanity stroking.

I am not as judgemental as I once was. Last year I celebrated my 55th year on this big rock. That celebration included a tattoo.

There was NO WAY I would have a tattoo during my previous 54 years.

i'm still celebrating my 55th year even being only a week from 56! My tat represents that celebration.

Traffic Jam
08-16-2017, 21:11
Rut Roh! :D

:D

i'll pass on the a**kicking.

Last Call
08-16-2017, 21:18
For the life of me I can't fathom why anyone would purposely disfigure themselves....they always remind me of a carny or prisoner.....

Traffic Jam
08-16-2017, 21:24
For the life of me I can't fathom why anyone would purposely disfigure themselves....they always remind me of a carny or prisoner.....
My dad always hated tattoos. He didn't speak to me for weeks after I got my first one. When my sister died, part of our healing was for my sisters and myself to get a tattoo to commemorate her. My dad had a complete change of heart.

MuddyWaters
08-16-2017, 21:33
Almost anything , when taken to excess, is bad.

And theres always some people that take anything you can think of, to excess.

Tatoos no exception.

Moderation, in all things is the key.

Unless you want to be ...standing out....not necessarilly in good way.

rocketsocks
08-16-2017, 23:37
This is my right arm. 40075i like how the background is out of focus...it's a beauty!

JPritch
08-17-2017, 09:20

My buddy was giving me hell yesterday and suggested I get a tattoo that says "JMT" right on the small of my back, with a route marker going South. I told him I appreciated the suggestion, but as a guy, I didn't want to have to explain to folks who JMT is.

One Half
08-17-2017, 10:43

Pretty judgemental there

One Half
08-17-2017, 10:47

Personally, I got my tattoo when I was about 43. I don't consider it disfiguring. It's a true work of art. I thought about it for 18 years. It's a memorial piece for my daughter Autumn.

You really ought to think "before you speak." Every tattoo tells a story. Though I will admit there are some "stories" I look at and have to scratch my head about. While my tattoo may not tell the story in a very clear way to those that don't know the story behind it, it's beautiful without knowing the story. I frequently receive compliments from complete strangers wherever I go - grocery store, events, etc.

Traffic Jam
08-17-2017, 20:28
Personally, I got my tattoo when I was about 43. I don't consider it disfiguring. It's a true work of art. I thought about it for 18 years. It's a memorial piece for my daughter Autumn.

You really ought to think "before you speak." Every tattoo tells a story. Though I will admit there are some "stories" I look at and have to scratch my head about. While my tattoo may not tell the story in a very clear way to those that don't know the story behind it, it's beautiful without knowing the story. I frequently receive compliments from complete strangers wherever I go - grocery store, events, etc.
I love it. My first thought when I saw it was, "that reminds me of autumn". It's a beautiful reminder...sorry for your loss.

LittleRock
08-18-2017, 08:36
Let's try to be a little more accepting, people.

Personally, I'll probably never get a tattoo, because in my 30+ years I've never even come close to seeing anything I liked so much that I wanted it permanently drawn on my skin.

But some people like their tattoos, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, at least have the dignity to keep your mouth shut.

hikernutcasey
08-18-2017, 09:25
Here's mine:

Tipi Walter
08-18-2017, 09:56
Here are a few of my Trail Tats and earned on various trips---

This one came from coming down the South Fork Citico thru and hitting a blowdown stob.

This one happened crossing Flats Mt in TN thru a briar field.

This is my backpacking buddy Generoll's arm after coming down Beaverdam Bald to the BMT.

This is what happens when you posthole thru 3 ft of deep snow in shorts---Trail rash and leg tats. Yes, ice and snow can abrade the skin.

MuddyWaters
08-18-2017, 10:26
Let's try to be a little more accepting, people.

Personally, I'll probably never get a tattoo, because in my 30+ years I've never even come close to seeing anything I liked so much that I wanted it permanently drawn on my skin.

But some people like their tattoos, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, at least have the dignity to keep your mouth shut.
People keeping mouth shut and coddling everyone, is whats wrong with world today.

You have right to do what you want with your body. Ill fight for that right for you.

Others have right to laugh and ridicule you. Ill fight for that right for them too.

Telling people to keep opinions to self is always wrong . Its the opposite opinions that keep things in balance.

Whether or not people speak out, theres a lot of people that judge you based on public appearance . If dont realize that, your closing your own doors. Doors to jobs, life partners, etc. Permanently altering public appearance radically, should not be undertaken lightly imo. And certanly not after a few drinks...

But that ssid, this topic is not about pros and cons of getting a tattoo......

Deacon
08-18-2017, 11:25
Here are a few of my Trail Tats and earned on various trips---

This one came from coming down the South Fork Citico thru and hitting a blowdown stob.

This one happened crossing Flats Mt in TN thru a briar field.

This is my backpacking buddy Generoll's arm after coming down Beaverdam Bald to the BMT.

This is what happens when you posthole thru 3 ft of deep snow in shorts---Trail rash and leg tats. Yes, ice and snow can abrade the skin.

Now those are tats I'd be proud to wear!

LittleRock
08-18-2017, 12:51
People keeping mouth shut and coddling everyone, is whats wrong with world today.
Telling people to keep opinions to self is always wrong. Its the opposite opinions that keep things in balance.

I beg to differ - people opening their mouth when they shouldn't is exactly what's wrong with the world today.

Used to happen a lot less before the internet came around... just sayin'.

Traveler
08-19-2017, 07:22
I beg to differ - people opening their mouth when they shouldn't is exactly what's wrong with the world today.

Used to happen a lot less before the internet came around... just sayin'.

People expressing their opinions on cultural fads and more serious topics has gone on far longer than the internet has been around.

rocketsocks
08-19-2017, 10:13
Just another dumb ass comment by a dumbass commenter...done it myself from time to time.

GolfHiker
08-19-2017, 19:45
Thanks everyone. Some of you actually addressed my original question, request.