PDA

View Full Version : Water situation NY/NJ etc. southbound?

2tall
08-16-2017, 04:53
Hi,
we'll hike a huge section starting next week from Pawling, NY, going southbound all the way down to Virginia.
How is the water situation in the mid-atlantics? Has it been a dry or a wet summer? Are most of the water sources flowing or not? (We use "The AT Guide" and rely on the sources listed there.)
Most important for us are the first states we hike in, NY and NJ.
Thanks for answering,
greetings from Germany
2tall

GoldenBear
08-16-2017, 08:19
https://www.drought.gov/drought/data-maps-tools/soil-moisture
The various maps show how wet the soil is at various places in the U.S., thus giving an indication of how well water is flowing around the U.S.

Or you can do an internet search for the term

drought monitor XX

where 'XX' is the name (or abbreviation) of the state of interest to you.
If the entire state has no signs of drought, then water is not lacking. Here's New Jersey
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?NJ

My home state of Pennsylvania has had a wet summer, and my hiking in Southwest Virginia has found almost all streams are flowing well.

2tall
08-16-2017, 08:58
Thanks, great.
Just to make sure I read the data correctly: NJ has no sign of drought, and NY only in parts that are not near the trail?

Can anybody confirm this from recent expirience?

Thanks again!

ChrisMek
08-16-2017, 10:46
I Section Hiked NJ Last year. My experience was that at "most" road crossings, trail angels leave gallons of water for the hikers. A lot of the businesses that you pass along the way will give you water from their faucets as well. The only area that I found troublesome was at the Brink Road shelter where the water source was a slow trickle and rumor has it that its much the same now.

I will be going to Hoyt Rd and walking home starting September 8 and I am wondering about the water availability in New York for myself.

In Short, I don't think you need to be too concerned about water. I would say to make sure you "Camel Up" when you come to a good source and you should be Fine.

Martzy13
08-16-2017, 10:47
I just hiked thru NOBO this year, and the NY/NJ water sources were the worst on the whole hike, quality-wise. Lots of "bad" sources full of iron and tannins. I can't speak to the quantity of sources this late in the year, as I went through a while ago, but I wouldn't drink some of that water again unless I was desperate.

sqidmark
08-16-2017, 19:06
Perhaps not the most current :) https://www.nynjtc.org/content/appalachian-national-scenic-trail-drinking-water-conditions

I've never had trouble getting water from the spring off Blue Mtn Lake Rd or Brinks shelter. At Brinks, make sure you go right to where the spring comes out of the ground, just follow it upstream, it's right there. There is a small pool that's big enough. I use a ziplock to scoop it into a 2 ltr container, but a 1/2 or 1 ltr bottle should fill ok.

The water that might be flowing at the Boy Scout bridge, I believe is just spring runoff, thankfully I've never had to use it as it always looks nasty.

I refill at Blue Mtn rd and Mohican so never had to use Rattlesnake spring. Where the AT turns left into the woods from the fireroad, continue up the fireroad a bit farther, water is on the left side of the rd. As I recall there is a spot where it runs out of the bank.

Just before you get to Blairstown rd there's a pond with a couple of large beaver huts. Pretty sure you'll want to pass on this. :p I almost always see snakes here.

There is a creek between yards creek res and sunfish pond. I presume this is what the link above refers to as yards creek runoff. If you must fill here, I'd suggest following upstream a ways in spite of the heavy growth. Reason being, after you cross it, not much farther to the left you'll see a spot where folks may have camped and or it's a favorite spot for relief. I don't recall the exact proximity but yeah, def go upstream.

I've never seen Holly Springs dry, but at that point you're not so far from Rt 80 anyway so unless you're completely empty you may decide to pass.

That's pretty much all I'm familiar with at this point.

2tall
08-18-2017, 13:19
Thanks!
Any report is appriciated!

NJdreamer
08-21-2017, 13:34
I just finished ny sections 10 and 11, tioriti lake to route 17a, on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of water left in jugs by trail angels. Few places,to get it otherwise in this part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk