PDA

View Full Version : wallet question

pickle
08-16-2017, 17:29
where do you keep money,credit cards and other necessary items when on the trail?

Lone Wolf
08-16-2017, 17:38
in a wallet

soumodeler
08-16-2017, 17:38
Whatever works for you. Wallet, rubber band, ziploc bag, pouch, etc.

HooKooDooKu
08-16-2017, 18:20
When I was getting ready for a JMT thru, I purchased a Chums Wallet (https://www.rei.com/product/832681/chums-surfshorts-wallet).
It has two zipper pockets, one of which has a clear window. It's a little bigger than credit cards, so it easily holds credit cards, drivers license, and dollar bills folded in half. These two pockets are zippered so you don't have to worry about anything falling out. It essentially has a third pocket... where the key ring connects. But it's "open to the world" so it's easy for things to fall out of that.

I liked how much of a minimalist wallet it is, I still use it as my primary wallet.

MuddyWaters
08-16-2017, 18:31
where do you keep money,credit cards and other necessary items when on the trail?
In my zippered pocket, inside a tiny cuben pouch.
ID always stays on my person. If they find my body, I want them to know who I is.

rocketsocks
08-16-2017, 18:40
In a cuben fiber jimmy jam special...prior to that a plastic zip top sandwich bag.

Mountain Wildman
08-16-2017, 19:15
Nemo Ditto - 1.7 oz.http://www.nemoequipment.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/nemo/images/products/1937_1.jpg

Harrison Bergeron
08-16-2017, 19:20
In a belly bag, with my phone, charger, journal, and other valuables. I hate to have bulky junk in my pockets when I'm hiking. And you can leave most of it at home, anyway. All you need is your drivers license, a credit card, and a few bills. I use a Coglin's plastic wallet.

Rmcpeak
08-16-2017, 19:32
zpacks wallet.

saltysack
08-16-2017, 19:44
Rubber band and in my hip belt pocket...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
08-16-2017, 21:19
Wallet made from a free Tyvek envelope and some tape. Print my emergency contact info on it with a Sharpie. Keep the whole thing in a quart Ziploc with related items (GSMNP Thru-Hiker Permit, Appalachian Trail Passport if you're so inclined). If I'm in town, reaching for something that functions like a wallet (even if it's much lighter and less durable) exercises appropriate muscle memory and that way I automatically return my credit/debit card to the right place.

egilbe
08-16-2017, 21:20
In a ziplock I keep my drivers license, cash, insurance cards and credit card. It goes in my back pocket where I would keep my wallet.

Feral Bill
08-16-2017, 21:26
I made myself one out of duck tape to fit in a small dry box for sailing. I plan on using it for hiking, too. A bit over an ounce.

Maineiac64
08-16-2017, 22:18
Zpacks cuben pouch

Odd Man Out
08-16-2017, 22:35
I got a minimal nylon wallet from the department store and only put the essentials in it. I carry it in my pocket where I always do. I've tried carrying it in my pack, but I just can't get used to that. About every five minutes I subconsciously reach back and touch my pocket to see if my wallet is still there. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I tried to hike without a wallet. Then every 5 minutes I would have a mini-panic attack thinking my wallet was gone until my conscious brain told me that stuff was in my pack. Didn't do that again. I have the same problem with car keys. I have to have something in my front left pocket or I go bonkers.

SWODaddy
08-16-2017, 22:35
Big fan of the chums wallet.

JC13
08-17-2017, 08:53
Zpacks Travel Zip Pouch
Phone in one side, id and currency in the other.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml#travel

Derf
08-17-2017, 09:05
Really like my Trayvax original because it has a bootle opener keep it in small MLD pouch.

https://www.trayvax.com/collections/original-collection

bigcranky
08-17-2017, 09:14
I got the Zpacks little wallet years ago to use for the trail. Then after a longer hike with my wife, I came home and looked at my giant leather wallet, crammed with all kinds of cards and crap, then at my little hiking wallet with just my ID and a couple of cards, and I've been carrying my hiking wallet every day since. Really simplifies things. :)

BuckeyeBill
08-17-2017, 09:23
In a wallet in a pouch inside my pack. When I am headed into town, I put it in a shirt pocket in the morning.

Pastor Bryon
08-17-2017, 09:27
Cuben fiber zip pouch, just big enough to hold id, cash, and a couple of cards.

Old Hiker
08-17-2017, 13:28
Zip-loc quart sized freezer bag deep inside the side pocket of my convertible pants. Pocket had Velcro tabs and was ALWAYS stuck down.

Minimal cash, 2 credit cards, driver's license and mil id.

Ethesis
08-17-2017, 13:46
Whatever works for you. Wallet, rubber band, ziploc bag, pouch, etc.

The ziplock snack bags are great.

TKE402
08-17-2017, 13:55
I put my ID, Health Insurance Card, CC, and cash held together with a rubber band then put in a zip lock. Then that goes in the stealth pocket under the lid of my bag.

Bronk
08-17-2017, 14:34
On my thruhike attempt I had a nylon pouch on a cord that hung around my neck. I kept a debit card, credit card, ID card and cash in there. I slept with it on.

What is more convenient and less bulky than a wallet? A double sided money clip that will hold 6 cards and 30 bills...this is what I carry now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Slim-Steel-Money-Clip-Double-Two-Sides-Purse-Card-Holder-Wallet-/272385774276?hash=item3f6b7512c4:g:wgQAAOSwAuZX07h Z

Puddlefish
08-17-2017, 16:33
Cheapo tri-fold nylon fabric wallet. Stuffed full, Debit card, credit card, license and a few bills, it's maybe a quarter of an inch thick. Kept it in a zipped back pocket of the shorts.

I've also made it my everyday wallet, replacing the one inch thick leather beast.

Deadeye
08-17-2017, 17:36
Really like my Trayvax original because it has a bootle opener keep it in small MLD pouch

Great idea, but why? After all, it's so hard to find good bootle these days.

gbolt
08-17-2017, 22:47
I used a Z Pack pouch for awhile. Then got tired of moving things back and forth. I then purchase an Allnet Nylon light weight wallet. Now I use it both on and off the trail.

One Half
08-18-2017, 09:18
money and credit card aren't necessary while hiking so they are stashed in the pack somewhere. When going into "town" I put those things in a pocket on my pants that has a zipper/velcro closure - something I'm sure won't open and spill my money while hiking.

BuckeyeBill
08-18-2017, 10:26
If any of your credit/debt cards are micro chipped, you should consider an RFID style wallet.