PDA

View Full Version : camping on siler bald

Professor Paul
08-16-2017, 22:57
Hi, I was thinking of camping around Siler Bald shelter this weekend and then thought, why not just camp on the bald itself? I'm not familiar with this area, so I don't know if this is possible or recommended. Around these parts (Maryland), most camping is by shelters, but I like sleeping in my tent much better. Unless it's a monsoon, shelters don't interest me. Are there good hilltops in that neck of the woods for tent camping? I'd especially like to be on a bald for the views, as I've not had the chance to camp on one before. Any suggestions on this point would be appreciated. I plan to hike for a couple of days to scout out a future section hike down there, and I want at least one night to be on a bald if possible. Siler Bald (sp?) is the one that's caught my eye. Thanks!

MuddyWaters
08-16-2017, 23:00
Its kinda brushy except for high spot where people camp and have fire. This obscures the view unless right on high pt.

Bald, dont really always mean its a bald. In some cases, it might have been a bald 150 yrs ago when someone grazed cows there.
Google for images.
Cheoah is better. But you might not be 1st to show and claim camp spot on any of them.

Best...is around Roan mtn. By far.

Professor Paul
08-17-2017, 00:00
Its kinda brushy except for high spot where people camp and have fire. This obscures the view unless right on high pt.

Bald, dont really always mean its a bald. In some cases, it might have been a bald 150 yrs ago when someone grazed cows there.
Google for images.
Cheoah is better. But you might not be 1st to show and claim camp spot on any of them.

Best...is around Roan mtn. By far.

Thank you. I might save my "bald camping" for Roan and do something more traditional while I'm in NC, though I'll probably check out Cheoah while I'm down there. (Might as well.) I appreciate the insight. It's especially good to know that all the balds aren't necessarily bald...

I'm bringing a friend along who is interested in getting into backpacking. It's a pretty unique opportunity for me to actually have a backpacking partner once in a while, as I am nearing 50 and let's just say most folks my age who don't already backpack aren't terribly open to starting. I figured the NC area would be a good place to pique his interest (he's fit enough to handle it), based on everything I've read about it. Then maybe he'll join me on the section hike there next year, too. I should have asked this before I made our travel plans, or I would have gone to Roan instead...

MuddyWaters
08-17-2017, 04:09
Thank you. I might save my "bald camping" for Roan and do something more traditional while I'm in NC, though I'll probably check out Cheoah while I'm down there. (Might as well.) I appreciate the insight. It's especially good to know that all the balds aren't necessarily bald...

I'm bringing a friend along who is interested in getting into backpacking. It's a pretty unique opportunity for me to actually have a backpacking partner once in a while, as I am nearing 50 and let's just say most folks my age who don't already backpack aren't terribly open to starting. I figured the NC area would be a good place to pique his interest (he's fit enough to handle it), based on everything I've read about it. Then maybe he'll join me on the section hike there next year, too. I should have asked this before I made our travel plans, or I would have gone to Roan instead...

The section from winding stair gap to noc, including siler bad, is a good one . Ive taken several AT virgins to do it. Ive hiked it 3 times doing this with others. Its one of my favorite sections in far south. Not as spectacular as roan area though, not even close. The south nc balds arent as wide open anymore like max patch or roan area. Wesser is totally forested. Wayah just small clearing with stone tower. Cheoah only has open view to one direction, etc. They get pretty gusty when tstorm rain moves though. Check weather closely. 60 mph winds would not be uncommon with a storm. Just a few yds off the peak is much less.

daddytwosticks
08-17-2017, 07:06
I was on top of Siler's Bald (the one north of Winding Stair Gap near Franklin) this past May. It's cleared up there with several places to pitch a tent. Stunning views. Enjoy your time there. :)

Captain Blue
08-17-2017, 10:53
I was there in June. A great place to camp. There is also a camping spot half way up in the woods line. Beware if the winds kick up. I camped up there one night in high winds and wish I hadn't.

soumodeler
08-17-2017, 12:00
Don't forget that the eclipse is Monday so expect crowds along the trail in that section.

Professor Paul
08-18-2017, 00:03
Don't forget that the eclipse is Monday so expect crowds along the trail in that section.
I'll definitely steer clear of the fire towers. I expect the crowds will be there. Hopefully we can find a spot to camp just below the balds, based on what folks are saying about the winds. Sounds like it will be a winner no matter which bald we end up by--I'll choose between Cheoah and Siler as we get closer, a game-time call. I'm hoping the crowds will just be around for Monday and less so on the weekend itself. Being in the area for the eclipse is certainly a bonus for us, too, but neither of us will care too much even if it's cloudy. I've been wanting to hit this area for a long time. We leave tomorrow am; can't wait! Thanks for the tips everyone.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2017, 07:03
You probably know this, but I learned the hard way many many years ago: I you pitch a tent on any type of grass with no tree cover overhead, you will probably get saturated in moisture if the atmospheric conditions are not perfect. Have a great hike. :)

Ashepabst
08-19-2017, 14:29
You probably know this, but I learned the hard way many many years ago: I you pitch a tent on any type of grass with no tree cover overhead, you will probably get saturated in moisture if the atmospheric conditions are not perfect. Have a great hike. :)
i learned that lesson right near Andrews, at the clearing at Saddle Tree Gap near the Hangover. there was only little chance of rain so we didn't bother with the fly and yet the tent got soaked as if we'd seen a downpour.

blue indian
08-20-2017, 08:59
You can camp right on top (pretty awesome views) or at a little nook about halfway up the bald. Note; Im pretty sure the actual bald is off the AT. But you can see the top from the AT itself. If you decide to camp, bring water with you as there is no source anywhere near the top.

Cheoah is fantastic. One of my favorite spots.

MuddyWaters
08-20-2017, 09:32
You can camp right on top (pretty awesome views) or at a little nook about halfway up the bald. Note; Im pretty sure the actual bald is off the AT. But you can see the top from the AT itself. If you decide to camp, bring water with you as there is no source anywhere near the top.

Cheoah is fantastic. One of my favorite spots.

Yes, the top is probably 1/4 mile off AT. NOBO, you cross a small clearing at the highest level of the trail, and take a single track side trail to left for 100-200 yds thru waist high weeds (unless cut), then turn to right and go steeper uphill another similar distance to reach the top. I dont recall being able to see summit from trail, or any view at all from trail.

blue indian
08-20-2017, 13:34
Yes, the top is probably 1/4 mile off AT. NOBO, you cross a small clearing at the highest level of the trail, and take a single track side trail to left for 100-200 yds thru waist high weeds (unless cut), then turn to right and go steeper uphill another similar distance to reach the top. I dont recall being able to see summit from trail, or any view at all from trail.

Yes this sounds just right. You can for sure see the top of Silers from the AT. And youre correct, no actual view from the trail. Gotta climb that side trail to the top. Its not far, just steep but very worth it.

soumodeler
08-21-2017, 21:37
Just got back from seeing the eclipse on Siler Bald. 500+ people up there was insane! Half of the tents (100+) were on slopes so bad I'm still not sure how they stayed in place.

Luckily the FS had just mowed the fields so it was very low brush.

daddytwosticks
08-22-2017, 07:18
That's nuts! Wonder if the bald was trashed by that many people. :)

soumodeler
08-22-2017, 16:10
When I left there were still lots of people, but it wasn't trashed. I cleaned up around the summit as best I could, and there were several more people staying the night that said they would be picking up trash as well.

MuddyWaters
08-22-2017, 16:27
Im sure a trace was left...

Professor Paul
08-22-2017, 21:55
I stayed on the Siler Bald, on the little plateau halfway up the hill. First news, I got a new backpacking partner from the trip--although I had to tell him frequently that what we went through was in most respects highly unrepresentative, to put it mildly. He liked the "pure" backpacking parts fine on their own, though, so we're planning a trip for next year already. Second, the Bald was mowed, but it was still some pretty rough, brushy tenting, a little sloped where I was (though many of the tents there were on more significant slopes), and in full sun. Textbook "where not to camp" placement, but awesome and unavoidable given the circumstances, which were well beyond what I was anticipating. Thanks again to all who recommended Siler and who provided such useful advice (and yes, the condensation did indeed hit us hard, though the sun took care of it soon enough).

As soumodeler observed there was a ginormous crowd for the eclipse, and tons and tons of us there the night before. I never experienced anything remotely like that before. It's hard to describe just how awesome it was. Contrary to what I expected (and thus tried to avoid), all those people sharing the moment made it the eclipse a much better experience than it would have otherwise been, although it still would've been a different sort of 10 had I been alone. That eclipse was simply one of the most amazing and truly awesome things I've ever experienced in my life. It was powerful enough that I don't want to cheapen it with superlatives, but putting the setting, event, and great-vibes, like-minded community spirit together yielded a sum far greater than the parts. I've never felt so lucky in my life. It was truly life-changing, and it probably helped me get that backpacking partner too. Bonus.

blue indian
08-23-2017, 08:55
500 +????

I dont see how more than 50 people could fit on top of that bald. 500+?? You sure about that?

That makes me cringe....so much impact on a little area. I hope people were respectful.

Professor Paul
08-23-2017, 09:28
500 +????

I dont see how more than 50 people could fit on top of that bald. 500+?? You sure about that?

That makes me cringe....so much impact on a little area. I hope people were respectful.
People were on the whole thing, from the trail to the top and in the clearing on the other side of the trail, away from the top too, a vast, vast area. The peak was packed but the rest was just busy with plenty of room to stroll around.

soumodeler
08-23-2017, 14:58

This is a shot I took just before totality. I am standing on the marker at this point. Between this photo and totality, many more people crammed up on the summit. I looked down the slope towards the AT and there were even more people down there not even trying to climb up higher since there were so many people.

I honestly believe that 500 is on the low side. 1000 would not surprise me.

daddytwosticks
08-23-2017, 16:04

This is a shot I took just before totality. I am standing on the marker at this point. Between this photo and totality, many more people crammed up on the summit. I looked down the slope towards the AT and there were even more people down there not even trying to climb up higher since there were so many people.

I honestly believe that 500 is on the low side. 1000 would not surprise me.

Where did they all park? I assume most of them were day hikers? The two lots (WSG and the one on the north side of the AT at Wayah Gap) are simply too small to accommodate that many vehicles for that many hikers. That's just crazy busy! :)

soumodeler
08-23-2017, 16:19
When I got down to Wayah Gap at 5:30, there were still cars parked over a mile down the road from the trailhead. I can only imagine what it looked like at 2...