PDA

View Full Version : Im new, need AT advice please

fng0879
02-03-2006, 01:40
It appears this is the best forum to get AT advice. I'm planning a trip to do a 5 day section of the AT, in Virginia, in Oct this year. Can anybody help me out with some "must haves" for a trip of this length. Also, what would be the better section in Virginia to do (better meaning: backcountry, scenic...)

bigmac_in
02-03-2006, 08:38
It appears this is the best forum to get AT advice. I'm planning a trip to do a 5 day section of the AT, in Virginia, in Oct this year. Can anybody help me out with some "must haves" for a trip of this length. Also, what would be the better section in Virginia to do (better meaning: backcountry, scenic...)

Check the articles section - tons of good information there. Almost anything you need to know.

shades of blue
02-03-2006, 08:51
Virginia is a beautiful state....one great area is the Damascus, VA North through the Mt. Rogers/Greyson highlands area. They have wild ponies, and beautiful views. The Virginia Creeper trail also runs through part of this area (an old railroad bed)...
There are other beautful places in VA, but that was one of my favorite places on the ENTIRE AT. :)

wacocelt
02-03-2006, 09:33
If you only have a week you can't go wrong with the Grayson Highlands. That will put you in the Damascus neighborhood, so you can not only visit one of the most scenic and enjoyable mountain ranges on the AT, but one a town that meets the same criteria. hope you enjoy yourself wherever you decide to go. Be well.

Puck

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 09:46
Virginia is a beautiful state....one great area is the Damascus, VA North through the Mt. Rogers/Greyson highlands area. They have wild ponies, and beautiful views. The Virginia Creeper trail also runs through part of this area (an old railroad bed)...
There are other beautful places in VA, but that was one of my favorite places on the ENTIRE AT. :)I agree I take my nephews and nieces hiking in that section and camp at the local campgrounds,ky

neo
02-03-2006, 14:56

welcome to whiteblaze,yes it is the best:cool: neo

ya need a hammock and a jetboil and some freezer bags:cool: neo

neo
02-03-2006, 16:59
have a hammock:cool: neo