PDA

View Full Version : opsak in your ursak?

jefals
08-19-2017, 17:02
Just wondering how many of y'all line your ursak with an opsak. I do. And this is the 2nd time the ziplok thing broke! :mad:

muzzo909
08-19-2017, 17:23
I line my ZPacks cuben fiber bear bag with it. Definitely keeps the odors at bay. Haven't had a problem with it breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownEaster
08-19-2017, 21:46
Based on all the complaints I read about Opsak durability (or lack thereof), I decided to look for alternatives. Coghlan's Odor Proof Storage Bag 12 x 16 inch (3 pieces) only set me back $4.95. Haven't had an opportunity to put them to the test yet.

map man
08-19-2017, 22:10
Yes I do for a few years now. On my just-completed section hike on the CT on one of my last nights when I went to pull the two sides apart on my opsak one half split off for just about the whole width of that side right at the top. It didn't prevent me from ziploking the two sides back together, but when it came time to pry them apart I had to really dig a thumbnail into the seam to get the process started of prying them apart. Is this the failure you are talking about? I've been alternating the opsaks I originally bought in the three pack and have quite a few miles on each one before this happened to one of them.

Since I started using the opsak within an ursak I don't bother hanging my food and sleep with it in my tent and have had no trouble with critters.

Venchka
08-19-2017, 22:51
Since I started using the opsak within an ursak I don't bother hanging my food and sleep with it in my tent and have had no trouble with critters.
Truth be known, that is probably what 99% of folks in the backcountry do. Without the Ursack or the Opsaks.
Or they hang their food bag and then snack in their tent. [emoji41][emoji1][emoji106]
Wayne

jefals
08-19-2017, 23:52
Yes I do for a few years now. On my just-completed section hike on the CT on one of my last nights when I went to pull the two sides apart on my opsak one half split off for just about the whole width of that side right at the top. It didn't prevent me from ziploking the two sides back together, but when it came time to pry them apart I had to really dig a thumbnail into the seam to get the process started of prying them apart. Is this the failure you are talking about? I've been alternating the opsaks I originally bought in the three pack and have quite a few miles on each one before this happened to one of them.

Both times my opsak broke, it's like you start to open the bad, and one side seems to be pulling the zipper loose from the other side. Then it's broken and you can't seal it.
If you are very careful with it, you can prevent it - and now that this has happened to me twice, I may remember that next time.
But I think I'll check out those Coughlin's (sp) mentioned above.

jefals
08-19-2017, 23:55
Based on all the complaints I read about Opsak durability (or lack thereof), I decided to look for alternatives. Coghlan's Odor Proof Storage Bag 12 x 16 inch (3 pieces) only set me back $4.95. Haven't had an opportunity to put them to the test yet.
Gonna check that out. Thanks....

DownEaster
08-20-2017, 00:22
Here's a link to where I bought the Coghlan's bags: SunnySports (http://www.sunnysports.com/p-clnopsb12/coghlans-odor-proof-storage-bag-12-x-16-inch-3-pcs).

Venchka
08-20-2017, 08:40
Y'all are delusional and hallucinating if you think that you can hide the smell of food from a bear.
Wayne

bigcranky
08-20-2017, 08:47
Not worried about bears.

We've used OP Saks in our food bags for 10+ years, both in the original Ursacks, and lately in the Zpacks food bag. The only one time we've had a mini-bear inside the bag was also the only time I couldn't fit all the food inside the OP Sak. Coincidence? Perhaps.

MuddyWaters
08-20-2017, 08:55
Just wondering how many of y'all line your ursak with an opsak. I do. And this is the 2nd time the ziplok thing broke! :mad:

well for one I dont have an ursack
I bought opsaks years ago. Deemed them too much trouble. And the known zipper failures were a drawback then.

So, Ive uses reynolds turkey bags ...like forever. twist neck, rubber band around it.

When sleeping with my food, its usually inside ziplocks, inside turkey bag, inside cuben stuffsak, inside pack liner too.

The ziplocks usually arent sealed, they fail. The cuben..not airtight. So basically food inside two nylon bags twisted with rubber bands..

Ive had mice in shelter....even without food there. Ive been harassed by porcupines and raccoons. Ive had things trip over guylines in middle of night (gets your attention quick). But I havent been bothered by a bear after food......yet.

saltysack
08-20-2017, 09:03
I've used the green odor barrier bags to line my food bag for few years without incident...a bear can smell it regardless but minimizing the odor helps....use caution as sharp objects like MH meals etc will poke holes in them...

MuddyWaters
08-20-2017, 09:09
I've used the green odor barrier bags to line my food bag for few years without incident...a bear can smell it regardless but minimizing the odor helps....use caution as sharp objects like MH meals etc will poke holes in them...

first thing I do, is trim the sharp corners off of a MH bag. Use one without tomato sauce contents so you can clean it
Then that bag is my cozy.
repackage all MH into ziplocks.

otherwise no way to carry more than about 2-3 MH dinners

but yeah, first order of business is cut the corners off regardless.

saltysack
08-20-2017, 09:17
first thing I do, is trim the sharp corners off of a MH bag. Use one without tomato sauce contents so you can clean it
Then that bag is my cozy.
repackage all MH into ziplocks.

otherwise no way to carry more than about 2-3 MH dinners

but yeah, first order of business is cut the corners off regardless.

I've gotten away from the nasty MH meals unless I have dividends to burn at REI....I'm hooked on Skurkas beans and rice meal or the hawk vittles meals but the more I go the more tired I get of fooling w cooking at all....I'll keep dabbling with going stovless as currently only boil 2 cups for dinner the rest is cold...not really worth carrying fuel, stove and pot for one use per day....

jefals
08-20-2017, 09:42
I've gotten away from the nasty MH meals unless I have dividends to burn at REI....I'm hooked on Skurkas beans and rice meal or the hawk vittles meals but the more I go the more tired I get of fooling w cooking at all....I'll keep dabbling with going stovless as currently only boil 2 cups for dinner the rest is cold...not really worth carrying fuel, stove and pot for one use per day....

I prefer hawkvittles to mountain house also. But -- ever try holding the edge of that flimsy pouch open with one hand and trying to pour boiling water in with the other? DON'T DO IT! I have a sturdy little cozy my daughter made me that I can put that bag in first.
But - I digress. Alright, I'll look into the turkey bags and green odor proof bags -- (is there some reason they're green)? Thanks for the replies!

Venchka
08-20-2017, 10:33

Grinning. So Br'er Bear can only smell your groceries from 19 miles away and not 20. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
Wayne

poolskaterx
08-21-2017, 13:43

I have used the opsack in my ursak on a few trips without any issue. Even if the animals can still smell my stored goodies, I can certainly attest that it cuts down on smells from your food bag A LOT!!! I used to feel like I was marinating my gear with food smells when food was only packed in my bv-450.

I will continue to use the opsacks (with my ursak or bear canister) until I have unacceptable failures and then maybe I'll try the turkey bag idea?

jefals
08-21-2017, 15:50
Grinning. So Br'er Bear can only smell your groceries from 19 miles away and not 20. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
Wayne

I think it may affect the quality of the odor. So, Wayne, you and I are hiking along, me with my mountain house beef stew in my opsak-lined ursak, and you with yours in your plain-ole ursak. I think the bear's gonna smell em both, but mine's gonna smell kinda "blah" and yours is gonna smell "DAM GOOD"!

Venchka
08-21-2017, 16:16
I think it may affect the quality of the odor. So, Wayne, you and I are hiking along, me with my mountain house beef stew in my opsak-lined ursak, and you with yours in your plain-ole ursak. I think the bear's gonna smell em both, but mine's gonna smell kinda "blah" and yours is gonna smell "DAM GOOD"!

You're nuts. Grinning.
Or maybe I'm nuts. I would LOVE to see ursus horribillis in it's natural environment. Not an easy task even in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. From a suitable distance of course.

JPritch
08-22-2017, 08:35
Best Amazon question I ever read was a guy asking for a "friend" if the Opsack could hide the smell of weed from police dogs. Now THAT would be one hell of a test for the product!

DownEaster
08-22-2017, 11:00
Best Amazon question I ever read was a guy asking for a "friend" if the Opsack could hide the smell of weed from police dogs. Now THAT would be one hell of a test for the product!
Of course, I'm sure the intent is just to avoid confusing the poor pups who no longer need be concerned in states where marijuana is now legal. :D

JPritch
08-23-2017, 10:52
Of course, I'm sure the intent is just to avoid confusing the poor pups who no longer need be concerned in states where marijuana is now legal. :D
Lol. I should have told him YES.

mtngoat01
08-23-2017, 11:37
We are trying these bag out for the Long Trail soon. We will see how they hold up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHF7X16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-23-2017, 11:52
We are trying these bag out for the Long Trail soon. We will see how they hold up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHF7X16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hold up pretty well just watch out for MH meals etc with sharp corners...

jefals
08-23-2017, 12:35

I kinda like the idea that you don't have to ziplock them. Seems like I always have to spend more time than I'd like with ziplocks, making sure I get each side lined up correctly and all the air out and sealed correctly. Especially if the bag us inside an ursak and pretty full.

mtngoat01
08-23-2017, 12:40
We used them this past weekend and just twisted and folded the opening over and used a rubber band. That seemed to work just fine instead of the clips. I even put my smart water bottle that I use for drinking emergenC drinks. In that regard they *probably* do have more flexibility than the opsack but I can't truly comment on that bc I've never used opsack before.

Venchka
08-23-2017, 14:29
Here's why I don't get the whole Opsak scam:
Those who don't use them survive and live to tell about it.
Those who do use them survive and live to tell about it.
Did I miss anything?
Wayne

Hosh
08-23-2017, 19:02
Wondering if your opinion might change if and when you wake up to fresh grizzly tracks in your campsite.

map man
08-23-2017, 19:21
By the way, Ryan at Loksak contacted me by PM after reading about the tear that had developed after many, many miles on one of my Opsaks. He said that there had, for a brief time, been a manufacturing flaw which he felt might account for my tear, and offered to send me some new ones for free. I thanked him heartily but declined his offer because I felt I had already gotten more than my money's worth out of the three pack that I purchased some years ago. I'm sure I will buy more some time down the road because I really like the product.

I bring this up to demonstrate that the people at Loksak have very good customer service.

Venchka
08-23-2017, 19:50
Wondering if your opinion might change if and when you wake up to fresh grizzly tracks in your campsite.
I don't think so. After 24 hours on the trail a bear will find that food smells permeate everything in my campsite.
If you never hear from me after the middle of September I was wrong.
Wayne