PDA

View Full Version : Want larger pack like Sratos 50/Exos 58- similar suspension

Crossup
08-20-2017, 10:31
Unlike almost every pack I could find locally to checkout first hand the Stratos

Crossup
08-20-2017, 10:44
Very frustrating when your second post gets saved before you even get to the end of the sentence. No edit button(seen this at other forums, subsequent posts will show edit buttton).
Anyway to complete the sentence: the Stratos/Exos have a mesh panel suspension which has a large airgap between your back and the pack which is not only VERY comfortable but works extremely well to keep sweat evaporating and minimized heat. I'd like to find out if there are any other larger packs using designes which offer good flow thru ventilation like it. Picture shows how there is a large gap for the airflow. Of course I've checkout all the Osprey offerings and this feature is called "Airspeed" and these two packs are the largest with it.

Crossup
08-20-2017, 11:21
OK, I now see editing is not permitted without donating. So I'll try this again.... if you look at the image you will notice a crescent of gray at my back, that is the wall showing thru the gap in the pack/suspension. That is the kind of suspension and ventilation I'm hoping for in a larger pack

saltysack
08-20-2017, 11:52
I'm confused....larger than atoms ag 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-20-2017, 11:53

Uggg Atmos AG 65?

Venchka
08-20-2017, 14:04
Pick an Osprey pack. Any Osprey pack.
https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/category/technical-packs/backpacking/
Personally, I think this whole "cooling effect" of backpack suspensions is HIGHLY overrated.
Backpacking is hot hoard sweaty WORK. Unless you have a NASA Spacesuit, you're going to be hot and sweaty.
That said, really good wicking base layers, I'm a fan of Helly Hansen long sleeves, and a 100% synthetic ventilated shirt, fishing shirts in 100% polyester and long sleeves, will dissipate a lot of sweat. I used a ULA Catalyst in Colorado last year. At the end of the day my shirt was damp, not wet, in the area of my shoulder blades. I was dry in 30-45 minutes.
To each his own.
Wayne

Venchka
08-20-2017, 16:09
Also:
REI Flash 45 and Flash 65.
Wayne

Greenlight
08-20-2017, 17:50
I concur with the redesigned REI Flash packs being good at this. They took a cue from Osprey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crossup
08-20-2017, 20:52
I have the Stratos 50 and love the ventilation...but DO NOT like the suspension and ventilation of the AG series. Same for the Osprey's with the Livewire system.
So while I'd like a larger pack I'm not looking for JUST larger.

saltysack
08-20-2017, 21:17
I have the Stratos 50 and love the ventilation...but DO NOT like the suspension and ventilation of the AG series. Same for the Osprey's with the Livewire system.
So while I'd like a larger pack I'm not looking for JUST larger.

Curious what is that thing strapped to the back of your pack in your pic?

Crossup
08-20-2017, 21:32
I will agree that there is a LOT of hype concerning cooling...for my money its pretty much a commonsense deal- mesh/wicking layers etc dont do any good without airflow to evaporate sweat or carry heat away. Worse a lot of designs provide a nice airspace that is NOT ventilated outside of the back area...thats just more insulation, not cooling.
Thats why I love the Stratos/Exos "Airspeed" venilation design, is allows totally unrestricted airflow and even without any breeze to provide cross flow, the wide open space allows convection airflow.
I agree backpacking is sweaty but I see no reason to put up with a design that insulates you or limits sweat evaporation to the area not covered by the back pack. I went to REI today to revisit the offerings and view the Ospreys with redesigns(my Stratos is 2 years old) and nothing I saw came close to the ventilation I already have, I did see that the Exos seemed far larger than the 8 liters extra capacity would indicate. Its a give and take situation though- similar weight to the Stratos but no compartments which is offset by having lots of lashing eyes vs the Stratos lacking them.

Pick an Osprey pack. Any Osprey pack.
https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/category/technical-packs/backpacking/
Personally, I think this whole "cooling effect" of backpack suspensions is HIGHLY overrated.
Backpacking is hot hoard sweaty WORK. Unless you have a NASA Spacesuit, you're going to be hot and sweaty.
That said, really good wicking base layers, I'm a fan of Helly Hansen long sleeves, and a 100% synthetic ventilated shirt, fishing shirts in 100% polyester and long sleeves, will dissipate a lot of sweat. I used a ULA Catalyst in Colorado last year. At the end of the day my shirt was damp, not wet, in the area of my shoulder blades. I was dry in 30-45 minutes.
To each his own.
Wayne

Maineiac64
08-20-2017, 22:26
Www.zpacks.com.

Crossup
08-21-2017, 22:00
Big Agnes Triple Core 25" wide sleep pad- I like my comfort. I also solo with a BA Copper Spur UL3, also big and comfy :D

Curious what is that thing strapped to the back of your pack in your pic?

Crossup
08-21-2017, 22:09
Man, thats what I'm talking about...I've recently heard of the Zpack but had NO idea it had such ventilation. THANK YOU!!! They look really nice and its hard to argue with the weight(or lack of).

Www.zpacks.com.

Venchka
08-21-2017, 23:50
Man, thats what I'm talking about...I've recently heard of the Zpack but had NO idea it had such ventilation. THANK YOU!!! They look really nice and its hard to argue with the weight(or lack of).

There will be sticker shock. Everything that you might think is standard and required in a backpack is OPTIONAL at extra cost.
If you're good with that and the final price, rock and roll.
Wayne

Venchka
08-21-2017, 23:55
There will be sticker shock. Everything that you might think is standard and required in a backpack is OPTIONAL at extra cost.
If you're good with that and the final price, rock and roll.
Wayne

PS:
Chances are good to excellent that the ZPacks products will not like your ideas in equipment. The air mattress and tent in particular. They run out of load capacity in a hurry. You would be better served by something from REI or Osprey.
A little sweat never hurt anyone.
Wayne

saltysack
08-22-2017, 07:12
PS:
Chances are good to excellent that the ZPacks products will not like your ideas in equipment. The air mattress and tent in particular. They run out of load capacity in a hurry. You would be better served by something from REI or Osprey.
A little sweat never hurt anyone.
Wayne

With that 3 man tent might want to check out the pack with the wheel....[emoji51]

Venchka
08-22-2017, 11:40
Be nice Salty. [emoji12]
One of my best friends carries a 3 man tent for two. He uses an REI 85 liter pack though. One of those ZPacks wimpy things would fold up like a pretzel with his stuff trying to fit in it.
Right tool for the job and all that.
Wayne

TX Aggie
08-22-2017, 12:24
I concur with the redesigned REI Flash packs being good at this. They took a cue from Osprey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's rumored Osprey is the manufacturer for these REI packs. I can't confirm, but it would make sense.

TX Aggie
08-22-2017, 12:34
Be nice Salty. [emoji12]
One of my best friends carries a 3 man tent for two. He uses an REI 85 liter pack though. One of those ZPacks wimpy things would fold up like a pretzel with his stuff trying to fit in it.
Right tool for the job and all that.
Wayne

I hike with a three man tent as well because I'm usually backpacking with my daughters. I tried to go the lightweight route but it just wouldn't work, so now I use a military surplus CFP 90.

It's not light, but I've had it loaded to 80 lbs and it carries it fine. Loosen the shoulder straps and load lifters just a touch an the entire pack swings off your back keeping it (relatively) cool.

saltysack
08-22-2017, 12:47
I hike with a three man tent as well because I'm usually backpacking with my daughters. I tried to go the lightweight route but it just wouldn't work, so now I use a military surplus CFP 90.

It's not light, but I've had it loaded to 80 lbs and it carries it fine. Loosen the shoulder straps and load lifters just a touch an the entire pack swings off your back keeping it (relatively) cool.

3 person tent makes sense to me as ya got 3.....damn you might have Tipi beat with an 80lb load!

ant
08-22-2017, 13:02
Gossamer Gear Mariposa..

Crossup
08-22-2017, 22:12
Well this has become very interesting. Let me first say I appreciate all the input and have no reason to think any thing posted so far is not good information and advice. That said since I'm getting all my gear in and on a 50L pack and so far I'm just below 30 lbs with everything except water, I wonder if I'm somehow giving the wrong idea about how much room and weight capacity I'm looking for.
I guess first step would be to check out the REI packs since I can do that with a 30 minute drive. And secondly, I'll ask if the Zpack weight ratings are wishful thinking.

TX Aggie
08-23-2017, 07:24
3 person tent makes sense to me as ya got 3.....damn you might have Tipi beat with an 80lb load!

Lol, that was for a training mission, not a backpacking trip. But I am typically around 55 lbs when out with my daughters.

Venchka
08-23-2017, 08:43
We got the REI Labor Day Sale flyer yesterday. Starting August 25-September 4. Have fun!
Wayne