PDA

View Full Version : can a clean shaven man hike the AT?

mweinstone
02-03-2006, 09:57
what is the beard good for on a thru hike?must one have one to be cool,accepted,what?if i shave all the time will i be a non confofmist freak doomed to banishment from the iner sanctum?why dont more men shave?my beard is just too damm loud against my sleeping bag nylon.why dont you shave?

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 09:59
I've had a beard for over 20 years. I'm very cool.

Sly
02-03-2006, 10:00
Most don't shave on the trail because it's a PITA. You want to shave during your thru-hike, go for it.

minnesotasmith
02-03-2006, 10:01
That clean-shaven is an essential part of going ultralight. :D

Ender
02-03-2006, 10:07
I shaved on my AT thru... not terribly often, but at least once a week. Just liked it better, felt cooler in the summer, and certainly set me apart. The last three weeks though I stopped just because, well, why not? It is an extra task, I never seemed to mind doing it.

MOWGLI
02-03-2006, 10:07
Serves as a crumb catcher. Every calorie counts ya know!

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 10:12
their was a cat named shaven dave in 99,he took pride in the fact he was clean shaved,ky

Spirit Walker
02-03-2006, 10:17
Some do, some don't. I knew a man who shaved and washed his hair every single day. I knew another who didn't take a bath for the first three months. What you do is up to you.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 10:24
http://gallery.backcountry.net/album70/abx

neo
02-03-2006, 10:24
ed garvey mention shaving quite often on his 1970 thru hike in his book appalachian hiker adventure of a lifetime:cool: neo

neo
02-03-2006, 10:25
i prefer clean shaved women myself:cool: neo

weary
02-03-2006, 10:28
what is the beard good for on a thru hike?must one have one to be cool,accepted,what?if i shave all the time will i be a non confofmist freak doomed to banishment from the iner sanctum?why dont more men shave?my beard is just too damm loud against my sleeping bag nylon.why dont you shave?
You'll be different, but everyone who hikes the trail is different from most people. No one will much care about your particular difference. Most males seem to dream of a beard at one time or another in our lives. For those of us whose jobs made beards a detriment, the trail offers an opportunity.

But for most thru hikers letting beards grow is also a matter of convenience. It's cold in the southern Appalachians in spring, hot water cools rapidly and requires heavy fuel to create. Also most of us like to get on the trail as early as possible if only to warm up.

I wore a beard for a few months after coming home. Finally a woman I once worked with suggested that if "you want to look older than you are a beard is very nice."

Since that was not an aim, I shaved, though lately it's only every couple of days. That has its drawbacks also. Two days of stubble makes a young man look virile; while the same on an old man just makes him look like a bum.

Weary

hammock engineer
02-03-2006, 10:30
I will be the shaven SOBO you will pass up north. After about 3 days, I can't stand the itch.

Just Jeff
02-03-2006, 11:03
The itch comes from your hair's roots growing back into your face as it gets longer. Let it go for a few days and the itch will go away. Might be worth it if you really don't like shaving in the mornings. Or might not...up to you.

Moxie00
02-03-2006, 11:03
I shaved every chance I could. I carried at least 2 disposable razors, I used a bar of ivory soap for shaving cream and on the trail often just used cold water. While I would shave near a water source I used my cook pot as a shaving bowl and carried the water a good distance for disposal. While I am not quite as old as Weary I had the same situation. I have white hair and a white beard makes me look 10 years older and as Weary said, grey stubble makes you look like a bum. Several women I hiked with shaved their legs and charm pits but usually in town when they showered. I felt very clean after shaving, even on the trail where otherwise I was sweaty amd smelly. I also can't stand the itch.

Israel
02-03-2006, 11:22
Well, Lone Wolf is further along than me; i've only had a beard for 13 years. :)

L.W., you and Weathercarrot make a cute couple. :D

snowhoe
02-03-2006, 11:23
I too am going to shave quite often. Cant stand the feel after about 2 days. I have bought a little mirror so I dont miss any spots. Do what you want to do, its your hike.

icemanat95
02-03-2006, 11:28

I shaved in every town stop and kept my hair sheared down to stuble most of the time. I found it easier on the trail. Cleaner and easier to police myself for ticks and such. There is a reason that the military favors a clean shave and a closely shorn head. (OK, there is no need for a clean protective mask seal on the AT, but the overall cleanliness factor is important in the field).

Long hair and wild beards is mostly a matter of mountainman fashion.

icemanat95
02-03-2006, 11:33
"Shaving Cream"
- Benny Bell

I have a sad story to tell you.
It may hurt your feelings a bit.
last night, when I walked in my bathroom,
I stepped in a pile of...
Shaving cream, be nice and clean!
Shave every day, and you'll always look keen.

I think I'll break up with my girlfriend.
Her antics are queer, I'll admit.
Each time I say "Darling, I love you,"
She tells me that I'm full of...

A baby fell out of the window.
You'd think that her head would be split.
But good luck was with her that morning.
She fell in a barrel of...

When I was in France with the Army,
One day I looked into my kit.
I thought I would find me a sandwich,
But the darn thing was loaded with...

And now, folks, my story is ended.
I think it is time I should quit.
If any of you feel offended,
Stick your head in a barrel of...
Shave every day, and you'll always look keen

khaynie
02-03-2006, 11:38

Shave if you must. You're the only one it matters to. Nobody will care either way... If they do, don't hike with them. Simple.

p.s. What's up with the "no space" thing between your sentences? Am I missing something?

Mags
02-03-2006, 12:39
On my long hikes, I always buzz my head down to 1/8" and let it grow (less and less hair with each passing year, I'm afraid. :) )

My beard? Let it grow. Cursed with a very heavy beard. Esp. on the thru-hikes out west (less time between resupply), it is indeed a PITA to shave my beard.

Hows this for a thru-hiker beard? :)
http://www.magnanti.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4671

Now that I am doing the CDT, been in the mood to grow my beard again. Have what I call my "English professors" beard. Close cropped and neatly trimmed. It is actually harder for me to have a beard off-trail than to be clean shaven. But, I dunno, just in the mood I guess!

the goat
02-03-2006, 12:57
no shavin' for me, it's less surface area for mosquito attacks!

weary
02-03-2006, 12:57
....My beard? Let it grow. Cursed with a very heavy beard. Esp. on the thru-hikes out west (less time between resupply), it is indeed a PITA to shave my beard......!
When i finally shaved after my '93 walk, it was certainly painful. But the pain was a bit higher up.

johnny quest
02-03-2006, 13:10
i plan to throw and electric hair trimmer in my bounce box and to carry a razor for shaving several times a week. i just feel better. in the marines they made us shave in the field, often dry, so im used to it.

The Solemates
02-03-2006, 13:11
can a clean shaven man hike the AT?

no, you'll never make it if you shave. :rolleyes:

johnny quest
02-03-2006, 13:15
ohhhhh, thats just wrong!!!!!!!:bse

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 13:17
no, you'll never make it if you shave. :rolleyes:
===============================
yeah ...and besides, it's the one time in your life you can let it grow, look shaggy and be among the majority.

'Slogger

johnny quest
02-03-2006, 13:20
and WHY did we want to be among the majority again?

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 13:24
and WHY did we want to be among the majority again?
================================
No reason ...just the reality of the situation.

'Slogger

StarLyte
02-03-2006, 13:35
http://gallery.backcountry.net/album70/abx

DAMN GOOD photo of you Lone Wolf.

I would say if you're used to shaving, shave it.

Being a woman, I like both.

Marsha

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 13:55
Well ...here's 6 months worth of beard.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9918

'Slogger

Almost There
02-03-2006, 13:59
Doesn't it depend on "WHERE" you shave?!?:jump

neo
02-03-2006, 15:00
Well, Lone Wolf is further along than me; i've only had a beard for 13 years. :)

L.W., you and Weathercarrot make a cute couple. :D

yes they do dont they lol:cool: neo

Seeker
02-03-2006, 15:11
[quote=icemanat95]is a reason that the military favors a clean shave and a closely shorn head. (OK, there is no need for a clean protective mask seal on the AT, but the overall cleanliness factor is important in the field)./quote]

keeps Og from grabbing hold of Grog's beard or hair too... Og not like when Grog grab beard... Make easy to chop head off...

seriously, some of the world's armies are of the belief that the beard doens't interfere significantly with a gas mask seal... it's mostly a matter of giving an enemy a handle, and a cleanliness thing... like someone said, it's a lot easier to wash your head (vs your hair) and check for ticks.

The Desperado
02-03-2006, 15:35
I remember shavin dave, good people! Actually their are a few each year that choose to shave, some regularly, some off and on. Hey, you'll fit in just fine, dont worry about such stuff. Just get out their hike and enjoy! Happy Trails!

StarLyte
02-03-2006, 18:04
'Slogger-I LOVE the picture of you!
Marsha

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 18:05
'Slogger-I LOVE the picture of you!
Marsha
===================================
Why thank you Marsa ...nice of you to say.

'Slogger

Belew
02-03-2006, 20:47
Originally Posted by mweinstone

I grew a beard for a year and found that people are more friendly to people with beards. I was offered weed a LOT also. When I shaved all the ladies I know seemed really happy. They all commented on my shaving as soon as they saw me. Men I know are still asking when did I shave. I shaved 5 months ago. It's just hair but it's funny how it effects peoples heads . I think I'm gonna throw my razors out tonight.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 20:51
DO IT! Bearded Bastards Unite!:banana

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 21:07
Anybody get their chest waxed?

Doctari
02-03-2006, 21:20
Slogger: Kool, my beard comes in just the oposite of yours, Grey in the middle, dark on the sides :p

My first few sections, I let it grow, sometimes for weeks before. Last trip I shaved each chance I got, didn't notice any diff on the trail, was treated ever so slightly better in town, not really worth mentioning it was so slight. May have had nothing to do with being shaved or not.

Doctari.

mweinstone
02-03-2006, 22:32
so weve learned people like to talk about shaving and peeing on white blaze. this is good. people should talk about these things. umm,...whats your oppinion on,..................um,..........flossing? im done.lol. i must say, the folks on this site are really great. i mean that. hikerfolk are a breed apart. ya know the smell of wet dreadlocks? i hate that smell .just a thaught.

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 23:28
Last trip I shaved each chance I got, didn't notice any diff on the trail, was treated ever so slightly better in town, not really worth mentioning it was so slight. May have had nothing to do with being shaved or not.Doctari.
===========================================
Never noticed or sensed any hesitation or off-treatment during my thru in 2003 and I'm here to tell you that I was the recipient of many random acts of kindness during my hike. I understand that first impressions are lasting and some have a negative attitude towards beards ...but I'm pretty sure that a beard in and of itself does not affect the treatment you receive as much as your behavior.

'Slogger

Left Hand
02-03-2006, 23:43
Man...personally, I can't wait to let it grow out. It will be my first time with a beard. People might actually believe that I am 29.

timhines
02-03-2006, 23:58
while i haven't done a thru hike, I did start growing a beard in Feb of 05. My face did not want to grow facial hair. It too many months, and many jokes later before I had a real beard.

I love it. Wife hates it.

Now I don't get carded when I buy beer and people believe me when I tell them i'm 33. (i just turned 27).

Marta
02-04-2006, 07:54
My husband's grandmother said, "Kissing a man without a mustache is like eating meat without salt."

Needless to say, my husband had a mustache for many years...but shaved it off when we were living in a very cold climate and the snotsicles became a problem.

brz
02-05-2006, 07:00
There is something to be said about maintaining good personal hygene.

Having had a beard for decades, I will allow it to grow in cold weather but remain clean shaven in warm weather.

I can do without the hot weather itch.

The remark about loosing the beard for ultra-lite was hysterical.

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 17:03
will shave in towns and on the trail for you all. when shaving i will say a prayer that all who try might reach there goal of shopping at the big k in the sky.for now,...matthewski checking way outski.

UCONNMike
02-07-2006, 22:43
I shaved while i was on the trail, for the simple reason that compared to Blake and Keith I looked like an 8 year old boy. Instead I went with the long hair look, which coined the saying "Blake's the beard and I'm the hair" when people would ask me where my beard was.

JHP Baby!!!

Deerleg
02-07-2006, 23:47
That clean-shaven is an essential part of going ultralight. :D

Wait, I mean weight you have to carry a razor...:-?

silver
02-08-2006, 08:53
kyhipo, I shared the trailhead ride from Atlanta airport to Springer with Shavin Dave in 99'. Started out with him. He soon left us behind and we never caught back up with him. he was from CA, nice guy.

kyhipo
02-08-2006, 09:35
kyhipo, I shared the trailhead ride from Atlanta airport to Springer with Shavin Dave in 99'. Started out with him. He soon left us behind and we never caught back up with him. he was from CA, nice guy.met him and his hiking bud in SNP pretty nice folks,ky

minnesotasmith
02-13-2006, 09:25
Wait, I mean weight you have to carry a razor...:-?

I tossed a dispo razor in each of my maildrops. Use, throw away, hike on with neither whiskers nor razor to weight me down and slow my hike...:clap

neo
02-13-2006, 09:26
i love clean shaven women:cool: neo