PDA

View Full Version : deadly drag racing in smokies

The Solemates
02-03-2006, 10:53
Murder Charges for Deadliest Wreck in the History of the GSMNP
January 28 2006 at 3:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mountain Press
Jan 27,2006

Two men are now facing murder charges for the deadliest wreck in the history of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Jonathan Matthew Hall, 19, of Lebanon, Tenn., and Steven A. Williams, 20, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., were both charged with five counts of second-degree murder for the March 26 wreck.

A federal indictment states the two were drag racing on the northbound lanes of Highway 441 when Hall's vehicle broadsided a car attempting to turn in front of them.

"Both were driving in a reckless manner and with extreme disregard for human life, in that they were operating their motor vehicles at an extremely high rate of speed and were drag racing," the National Park Service said in a release issued Wednesday.

The driver and all four passengers from the car Hall struck died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident.

Sixty-four-year-old Myra Nelson; her husband, George Nelson; and her mother, Audrey Fentress; died in the wreck along with Anthony and Betty Dietz. The Nelsons and Fentress were from Chesapeake, Va., while the Dietzes were from Virginia Beach, the release stated.

The indictment was sealed until both men were apprehended. U.S. marshals arrested Hall in Lebanon Jan. 6, and Williams turned himself in Monday. Williams was released; Magistrate Joe Brown ordered Hall held without bail.

Their trial is set for March 29. If convicted, Hall and Williams could face sentences of life in jail.

The charges came after a lengthy investigation by park officials and other law enforcement officials.

Park Superintendent Dale Ditmanson said wrecks are "by far" the main cause of fatalities in the park.

"Speeding is a very serious problem on the Spur," Ditmanson said. "Drag racing, in particular, creates a very hazardous environment, endangering the lives of not only those breaking the law but also innocent motorists such as in this case."

neo
02-03-2006, 12:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mountain Press
Jan 27,2006

Two men are now facing murder charges for the deadliest wreck in the history of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Jonathan Matthew Hall, 19, of Lebanon, Tenn., and Steven A. Williams, 20, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., were both charged with five counts of second-degree murder for the March 26 wreck.

A federal indictment states the two were drag racing on the northbound lanes of Highway 441 when Hall's vehicle broadsided a car attempting to turn in front of them.

"Both were driving in a reckless manner and with extreme disregard for human life, in that they were operating their motor vehicles at an extremely high rate of speed and were drag racing," the National Park Service said in a release issued Wednesday.

The driver and all four passengers from the car Hall struck died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident.

Sixty-four-year-old Myra Nelson; her husband, George Nelson; and her mother, Audrey Fentress; died in the wreck along with Anthony and Betty Dietz. The Nelsons and Fentress were from Chesapeake, Va., while the Dietzes were from Virginia Beach, the release stated.

The indictment was sealed until both men were apprehended. U.S. marshals arrested Hall in Lebanon Jan. 6, and Williams turned himself in Monday. Williams was released; Magistrate Joe Brown ordered Hall held without bail.

Their trial is set for March 29. If convicted, Hall and Williams could face sentences of life in jail.

The charges came after a lengthy investigation by park officials and other law enforcement officials.

Park Superintendent Dale Ditmanson said wrecks are "by far" the main cause of fatalities in the park.

"Speeding is a very serious problem on the Spur," Ditmanson said. "Drag racing, in particular, creates a very hazardous environment, endangering the lives of not only those breaking the law but also innocent motorists such as in this case."

those 2 guys are idiots and deserve the maximum punishment,so sad those people lost thier lives because of those two idiots.:cool: neo

Hikes in Rain
02-03-2006, 12:45
Agreed. Pity the deaths weren't the other way around.

"Think of it as evolution in action" -- Niven and Pournelle

neo
02-03-2006, 15:22
Agreed. Pity the deaths weren't the other way around.

"Think of it as evolution in action" -- Niven and Pournelle

i agree 100%:cool: neo

satchmo
02-03-2006, 16:40
those 2 guys are idiots and deserve the maximum punishment,so sad those people lost thier lives because of those two idiots.:cool: neo

100% agree. These idiots should never experience freedom. I hadnt heard anything about the deaths

neo
02-03-2006, 16:45

The Mountain Press
Jan 27,2006

reckless idiots killed those poor people,i feel so sad about this,i hope other idiots read and heed,:cool: neo

Ramble~On
02-05-2006, 04:53
441 through the park is a dangerous road. (period)
Tourists too often look out the window and not around the turn....
Some do not use lower gear on down grades...burn their brakes and have no choice but to use trees to bring them to a stop....ouch!
Teenagers drag racing on 441 through the park is a prime opportunity to hold those responsible accountable and make an example of them.
Tourists simply out to enjoy themselves and their National Park should never have to be in fear of being killed by idiot, drag racing teenagers.
I feel bad for the families of those who lost their lives....I feel bad for the families of those who caused the accident and I feel bad for the two who caused it as I feel that they should never again experience freedom.

wyclif
02-05-2006, 05:53
Had a buddy who was a cop working that area years ago...

411 through the park is a notorious hotspot for police looking for both townies and tourists doing idiotic and dangerous things with vehicles.

I've also observed that it's not just teenagers who haven't had enough experience of responsibility; it's also older people, usually driving very large vehicles, who have never had a little concept called "engine braking" explained to them. :confused:

I agree with all of the above that these aren't kids anyway. They are old enough to legally operate motor vehicles and are, hence, adults and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The law is a deterrent to anyone considering drag racing at 90-115mph on public roads!

sliderule
02-05-2006, 11:05
Anyone know where this mishap occurred?

ed bell
02-05-2006, 12:39
I remember this being repoted as happening between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I'm pretty sure the National Park was not the scene. 441 is terribly dangerous.