PDA

View Full Version : ULA Pack

Sic
08-22-2017, 15:17
I have a questioned for any seasoned AT hiker ... I am 49, 5'9 160 and going to attempt the AT in March, would like to know if the ULA catalyst would be a good pack for the beginner? I hike about 8-12 miles 3-4 times a week and have hit 20 miles 3 times this month without a pack though..... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated ....... Thanks!

Martzy13
08-22-2017, 16:57
While I don't own the Catalyst and I'm not 49, I can tell you the Circuit served me swimmingly on my thru this year. It held everything I needed it to (and probably more at times), without issue. I saw plenty of people carrying the Catalyst out there and they all seemed happy with their choice. The only "issue" I could raise on any ULA packs was that after such a long trek, the frame tends to protrude out of the bottom of the pack. Mine did the same thing, but it never came into contact with my back or butt while I was hiking, so I deemed it a "non-issue". This was probably due to people overloading the packs (past the 35-40lb recommended range) on more than a couple occasions. It carries well with any weight below this range.
Hope this helped!

Venchka
08-22-2017, 16:57
I bought a Catalyst last year. I liked it. Unfortunately my granddaughter liked it too. I couldn't say no.
It's a good pack. Comfortable up to the mid-30 pounds. I didn't carry more but could have. Handled 7 days food and 20 degree long bag easily. At altitude in Colorado.
Two cautions: I was measured by a dealer for a medium size pack just like my other packs. However, the Catalyst frame is shorter than my other frame. I could have used a large frame with a medium belt. I also would have preferred the S-Straps like my old pack.
Otherwise, the Catalyst is a fine pack. Totally useful hip belt pockets. Made in the USA and priced fairly. The side open top pockets are HUGE! Don't waste their volume on just water bottles.
Good luck!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickb
08-22-2017, 16:58
Definitly worth considering.

More evolved hikers than me may think it is too big.

They are not as trendy as they once were.

I really like mine but it has not ever been on a long walk, and I carry too much stuff when ther is a chill in the air.

Be careful of seasoned ATHiker's advise though. There was a time when they would have all agreed that Tipi Walter's eight pound Terraplane was worth ever bit of its $450 price tag.

Martzy13
08-22-2017, 16:58
Oh, and I also started in March, so I was also carrying the necessary winter gear to start.

Venchka
08-22-2017, 17:13
A half full Catalyst is no bigger than a tiny pack stuffed to overflowing.
The advantage of the Catalyst is that it can hold more if needed.
Wayne

Emerson Bigills
08-22-2017, 19:25
I have had a ULA Circuit for several years and found it to be a very good pack. Pretty light and very sturdy. Only negative for me was that it did not have any air flow against my back, thus creating a regular perspiration area. I hiked this year with a Zpacks Arc Haul which provides some air flow (is also a little lighter), but at a higher price. I saw several people with Osprey backpacks this year and they appeared to have good airflow also.

If you already have a ULA it should work. If still looking, check out the Osprey and the Zpacks if that air flow matters. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Uncle Joe
08-22-2017, 21:20
Unless you plan to carry 40lbs Circuit or Ohm might be a better choice.

Venchka
08-22-2017, 21:27
Unless you plan to carry 40lbs Circuit or Ohm might be a better choice.

Only if your stuff fits in the smaller packs.
Only if you never ever need to exceed the reduced capacity of the smaller packs.
You can compress the Catalyst to day pack capacity. You can't stretch the Circuit or the Ohm 2.0.
Throw in a need for a bear canister and things get really murky.
Wayne

Miner
08-22-2017, 22:51
First question when choosing a pack, how much volume do you need? Second, how much total weight do you see carrying in it? Answer these 2 questions, and you an narrow down what you need. The Catalyst is a great pack, if it fits what you need.

I've been using ULA backpacks since 2007 and have bought 5 of them over the years (Catalyst, Circuit, Conduit (old name for CDT), 2xCDTs). I just replaced my ULA 4.5 year old CDT a few months ago with another one after a trail that was more of a cross-country bushwhack than a real trail, damaged the exterior mesh pockets. So I obviously like them.

Mr. Bumpy
08-23-2017, 00:06
A large volume pack that is under packed will always carry better than a small volume pack that is overpacked. I think you should ask yourself what will your style be? If you intend to be self supported for 7-10 days at a time then maybe think Catalyst for the volume. If you will make town and/or hostel stops every 4-7 days then maybe think smaller volume like the Circuit.

I have used 1/2 dozen or so packs over the last 20 years and here is my estimation of the Catalyst. If you only want one arrow in your quiver for a variety of loads and conditions then I think the Catalyst is hard to beat. I've used one for the past two years. It compresses well for lighter volume and loads (20-25 lbs), but it also carries very well at 35-40 lbs. My typical load is around 30 and I don't think I've ever had it above 40. I am fortunate enough to live near a dealer who stocks them so I was able to try on a couple of different configurations. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs, average middle age build and ended up with M pack, L belt.

Sic
08-28-2017, 18:13
Thank you .. I ended up going with the a HyperLite!