PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorships

Zacid
08-23-2017, 12:06
I trust that there is a very expert cumulative wealth of knowledge about everything backpacking on this forum. That is why my team and I are asking you all for assistance with the sponsorship process.

We've got our dream sponsors picked out, gear only, and our back-ups, and back-ups for those. We've got three years of route and gear planning done, and collectively raised more than enough money to do this without sponsorship. That being said, sponsors would be tight to reduce gear cost.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

scrabbler
08-23-2017, 12:18
Becoming well known is a start, and you're on your way with Post #1.

MuddyWaters
08-23-2017, 12:20
Why would someone give you free stuff to go on vacation?

Explain your logic..

Slo-go'en
08-23-2017, 12:25
For starters, you'd have to come up with a pitch which proves you are worthy of getting free stuff and how that would benefit the company your asking to sponsor you.

If your just doing another hike of the AT, PCT or other popular trail which 1,000's have done, that could be a hard sell. If your going to a remote and unique location and will be fully documented with professional level video, web site and blog, then you might have a chance.

If you have a blog/website with 10,000 followers and is linked to from 100's of other sites, that's a good selling point since then the sponsor knows you will give their gear a decent amount of exposure.

Mags
08-23-2017, 14:08
Still accurate

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-get-sponsored/

TL;DR - As Slo said above unless you are doing something unique, good luck with getting sponsorship. Some higher profile charity hikes are the exception. If you are well known outdoors people, you may get some stuff, too.

Just Bill
08-23-2017, 15:07
I trust that there is a very expert cumulative wealth of knowledge about everything backpacking on this forum. That is why my team and I are asking you all for assistance with the sponsorship process.

We've got our dream sponsors picked out, gear only, and our back-ups, and back-ups for those. We've got three years of route and gear planning done, and collectively raised more than enough money to do this without sponsorship. That being said, sponsors would be tight to reduce gear cost.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
I own a gear company.

And you are?
And your team is?
And your trip is?
And you have what experience (presumably without owning any gear)?
And you picked out all your gear but would like to use my gear for free instead? Or you can already buy the gear and would just like some money?
And it took three years so far to look at maps and make up gear lists and (presumably) save up money and you will do this trip when? And you're just seeking sponsors now?

AllDownhillFromHere
08-23-2017, 15:18
When did "sponsor me to hike because I'm too cheap" become a thing? Spreading like wildfire.

One Half
08-23-2017, 15:43
between GoFundMe pages and "unknowns" asking for free stuff. Geesh. Has no one have any pride?

MuddyWaters
08-23-2017, 15:52
between GoFundMe pages and "unknowns" asking for free stuff. Geesh. Has no one have any pride?

Obviously not

And no money either

But dammit, they deserve a vacation too...

Rain Man
08-23-2017, 15:57

Astute! I'm no longer surprised when someone's first post is "What can y'all do for ME?". To me, WB is a mutual support resource for someone to contribute to, to pay their dues, then when they ask for something, they've earned it. Otherwise, I feel as if they think I'm cheap.

My advice? Treat life as a two-way street, not one-way.

Ethesis
08-23-2017, 15:58
I own a gear company.

And you are?
And your team is?
And your trip is?
And you picked out all your gear but would like to use my gear for free instead? Or you can already buy the gear and would just like some money?
And it took three years so far to look at maps and make up gear lists and (presumably) save up money and you will do this trip when? And you're just seeking sponsors now?

Actually those are questions that need answered before any can give you advice.

Part of the problem is that most trails have thousands attempting them each year and about one out of ten finishing (I'm rounding off excessively but you get the picture).

Hundreds of people each year ask for sponsors.

Most who ask will not finish.

Most have no special hook.

So to get answers you need to ask a question that lays out the answers to those questions and then asks eho might find that compelling.

Gambit McCrae
08-23-2017, 16:19
Huge part of my millennial generation that thank god my parents detoured me from becoming. "The right to entitlement" and "Gimmi gimmi gimmi" are understatements. If you have the money, then go do whatever it is you want to do! But if ya don't...Keep working!

Just Bill
08-23-2017, 16:28

Astute! I'm no longer surprised when someone's first post is "What can y'all do for ME?". To me, WB is a mutual support resource for someone to contribute to, to pay their dues, then when they ask for something, they've earned it. Otherwise, I feel as if they think I'm cheap.

My advice? Treat life as a two-way street, not one-way.

Huge part of my millennial generation that thank god my parents detoured me from becoming. "The right to entitlement" and "Gimmi gimmi gimmi" are understatements. If you have the money, then go do whatever it is you want to do! But if ya don't...Keep working!

WB is also a really good place to troll people if we're feeling astute.
I asked questions just to see what the answers might be for my own amusement... beware post #1.

This could have been as entertaining as that Ben kid who had how many gear reviews, advice columns and other tidbits on his upcoming triple crown or whatever long before he had even completed his first day hike.

I think you guys might've already spoiled everyone's fun.

saltysack
08-23-2017, 17:50
I'll save this thread for Friday night after a few beers.....should be entertaining!![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerZ
08-23-2017, 18:12
I asked questions just to see what the answers might be for my own amusement... beware post #1.
This could have been as entertaining as that Ben kid who had how many gear reviews, advice columns and other tidbits on his upcoming triple crown or whatever long before he had even completed his first day hikeI think you guys might've already spoiled everyone's fun.

Hey, Ben was very sincere. :banana

Last Call
08-23-2017, 18:36
Zacid - Excellent place to start here. As "Just Bill" queried, what are the goals of your expedition? Once we have more details, I'd bet a dollar to a donut there would be more than a few here that would be willing to contribute....

Venchka
08-23-2017, 18:44
Hey, Ben was very sincere. :banana

Not to mention eminently entertaining.
Back on topic:
Heather Anderson appears to have a food sponsor or 2. After establishing a PCT FKT and public speaking engagements.
That's the way it usually works. Michael Jordan didn't ask to be sponsored. The sponsors came to him after he established his credentials.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronk
08-24-2017, 09:12
To what I address do I mail the check?

Elaikases
08-24-2017, 09:37
Ok. If he was sincere, I'm sure he would have made a second post and laid out the information we need to actually give him (or her) advice.

And you are?And your team is?
And your trip is?

Seriously.

To answer the question, if he or she is legitimate, we actually need answers to those questions. From there people can give Zacid (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/68595-Zacid) usefull feedback and advice.

Until then, he just looks like a troll.

I'm hoping he actually has some answers and then he can get some real responses.

gracebowen
08-24-2017, 10:11
Hey bronk if if youre sending "checks" ill pm you my paypal info.

Tipi Walter
08-24-2017, 10:22
Plus, imagine if you get a sponsorship and end up hating the product (after extended field testing, i.e. actual on-trail usage) but cannot give it a harsh review because of . . . your relationship . . . with . . . . wait for it . . . . your sponsor.

Several online websites are gear review websites whereby a company sends that person gear to test. (Btw, this is another peeve of mine and not directly related to sponsorship.) Why? Because that person uses it for 4 or 5 days and then writes the review!!! Insane. It takes a good year of hard use to really test a piece of gear.

ldsailor
08-24-2017, 13:33
Here's an interesting, related tidbit. I kept up a running dialog with a trekking pole supplier. I had some problems with their poles, and they kept sending me replacements (excellent customer service). The last poles they sent were fine, but I needed new tips after wearing them down on the Virginia rocks. We exchanged correspondence, and they seemed enthused by what I had been doing (LASH's - I'm not a thru hiker). Anyway, they sent me new carbon fiber trekking poles, and I promised to take pictures, so they can put them on their web site. I'm heading out for my next LASH in two weeks with the poles and my camera. :D

BTW. The company is a small importer/supplier. I doubt you would get that kind of response from a larger company. Maybe there is a lesson there. If you really want sponsorship, go with the smaller companies.

Deadeye
08-24-2017, 13:54
Here's an interesting, related tidbit. I kept up a running dialog with a trekking pole supplier. I had some problems with their poles, and they kept sending me replacements (excellent customer service). The last poles they sent were fine, but I needed new tips after wearing them down on the Virginia rocks. We exchanged correspondence, and they seemed enthused by what I had been doing (LASH's - I'm not a thru hiker). Anyway, they sent me new carbon fiber trekking poles, and I promised to take pictures, so they can put them on their web site. I'm heading out for my next LASH in two weeks with the poles and my camera. :D

Seems like great customer service, but perhaps a sub-par product. I don't think the former makes up for the latter.

Back on topic, I notice the OP seems to have disappeared.

yaduck9
08-24-2017, 14:03

BTW. The company is a small importer/supplier. I doubt you would get that kind of response from a larger company. Maybe there is a lesson there. If you really want sponsorship, go with the smaller companies.

If I could "coat tail" on to this post;

The OP might want to do a search for the youtube videos of Will Wood. He started hiking first and then got a connection with a small company. Of course he had a successful track record first and a stream of successful vid's before being employed by Z packs.

The effort in creating Vid's may be a good way to hone your skills in "marketing" yourself and your team along with the education that hiking will pound into you.

If you had somehow created vids of the planning process and some bio's of your team ou would have generated some emotional buy in. You would have also provided some entertainment in exchange for coin.

Since it is august you still have time to go back and recreate some of the effort that you have already put in. Cameras are dirt cheap, creativity is everything. :-?

Ethesis
08-24-2017, 14:19
If I could "coat tail" on to this post;

The OP might want to do a search for the youtube videos of Will Wood. He started hiking first and then got a connection with a small company. Of course he had a successful track record first and a stream of successful vid's before being employed by Z packs.

The effort in creating Vid's may be a good way to hone your skills in "marketing" yourself and your team along with the education that hiking will pound into you.

If you had somehow created vids of the planning process and some bio's of your team ou would have generated some emotional buy in. You would have also provided some entertainment in exchange for coin.

Since it is august you still have time to go back and recreate some of the effort that you have already put in. Cameras are dirt cheap, creativity is everything. :-?

excellent advice.

I hope we hear from the op again.

ldsailor
08-24-2017, 14:20
Seems like great customer service, but perhaps a sub-par product. I don't think the former makes up for the latter.

Yes, you are probably right. The good news is they know it and are moving to a better product. By the way, the original trekking poles cost $30. The problem I was having is I couldn't collapse only one of the two poles. They sent another pair and the same thing happened - one would not collapse. The third set worked great, and I only had wear and tear over 500 miles in Virginia. We'll see how the carbon fiber poles work when I hike Pennsylvania in a couple of weeks.

yaduck9
08-24-2017, 17:53
When did "sponsor me to hike because I'm too cheap" become a thing? Spreading like wildfire.

y'know..........I believe that you asked me to explain my crabbiness at some point in the past :rolleyes:

AND now we have this post. Kinda ironical ;)

tour-kid
08-24-2017, 19:51
I have a brewery and I'll sponsor you. I'll donate a keg if you carry it the entire way. If you quit, I'm gonna need some cash...

Last Call
08-24-2017, 22:13
Where is the compassion & sympathy for this "newbie" only wanting to learn from the "old Masters" here? Good grief, they ask a simple request to be sponsored for their adventure & get blasted....well I for one, would be more than happy to contribute, who knows, this thing could turn out epic!

Traveler
08-25-2017, 06:57
"I bet I can get people to consume an impressive level of time and effort responding to a single idiotic post"

And thats how Harold Zumquat was able to win the $3.00 beer bet at Stogies Pub.

Tipi Walter
08-25-2017, 09:27
Where is the compassion & sympathy for this "newbie" only wanting to learn from the "old Masters" here? Good grief, they ask a simple request to be sponsored for their adventure & get blasted....well I for one, would be more than happy to contribute, who knows, this thing could turn out epic!

In mountaineering circles the word "Epic" is NOT a trip description anyone wants to hear. It usually means falling into a crevasse or freezing to death or getting frost bite or losing digits or getting rescued.

Elaikases
08-25-2017, 19:36
Well. He is still at one post, no responses to this thread. Looks like it was fire and forget.

Smithereens
08-26-2017, 16:54
I have a bunch of backpacks and tents. They are still good.

Tell ya what, pick out what you want and I'll let you have it in exchange for mowing my yard this summer. You can even use my mower and gas!

Smithereens
08-26-2017, 16:55
BTW, that's how I got my first car. A 1971 Beetle.

yaduck9
08-27-2017, 13:22

This could have been as entertaining as that Ben kid who had how many gear reviews, advice columns and other tidbits on his upcoming triple crown or whatever long before he had even completed his first day hike.

I think you guys might've already spoiled everyone's fun.

O man you crack me up!

do you feel amused when folks fork over 14.99 ;)
AND whats this with the FREE marketing!! :rolleyes::p
you are a funny guy

capehiker
08-27-2017, 14:39

Ah, yes. The young lad who had local sponsorships but didn't know how to layer clothing and his first thru hike was going to be the CDT.

Pale Horse
08-27-2017, 17:42
Ah, yes. The young lad who had local sponsorships but didn't know how to layer clothing and his first thru hike was going to be the CDT.

Now I'm intrigued. Link to Ben's posts please.

Just Bill
08-27-2017, 17:52
O man you crack me up!

do you feel amused when folks fork over 14.99 ;)
AND whats this with the FREE marketing!! :rolleyes::p
you are a funny guy
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107948-I-am-a-Liar

MtDoraDave
08-29-2017, 07:32
Jeff Alt wrote a book about his thru-hike, A walk for Sunshine. He got some sponsorship and raised 10K for the home where his disabled brother was living. I believe that's how he got the sponsorships; he wasn't just asking for free stuff so he could go hike, he was trying to raise money for someone else; doing something for someone else; becoming a charity, not seeking it.

In the back of his book, he offers advice to others seeking to do as he did. This may help the OP, it may not. I don't have the book anymore to tell you what it said as it was lent to me and returned already.

bstiffler
09-03-2017, 11:25
Are companies so desperate for spokespeople that they'll just take any random person doing an activity? Man I guess I did it wrong on my last time out.

RangerZ
09-03-2017, 14:57
Now I'm intrigued. Link to Ben's posts please.

Starts here and goes downhill from there: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110312-I-m-a-21-year-old-guy-looking-for-a-female-adventure-partner!-This-is-my-first-post!?p=1959337&highlight=#post1959337 .

Ethesis
09-03-2017, 18:43
So. The OP. Looks like they never came back or made another post. Any idea what they are doing next?

John B
09-03-2017, 19:35

I don't care who you are, but that's just damned funny! HA! :banana