Cheyou
08-23-2017, 18:00
Is a new ? Any reviews ? Looks very nice

thom

Venchka
08-23-2017, 18:28
Is a new ? Any reviews ? Looks very nice

thom

By any chance have you searched the InnerWebs for a ULA Proton pack?
I did.
I got ZIP.
Come back when you have something real.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
08-23-2017, 18:38
http://www.ula-equipment.com/category_s/1920.htm

Cheyou
08-23-2017, 18:44
By any chance have you searched the InnerWebs for a ULA Proton pack?
I did.
I got ZIP.
Come back when you have something real.
Wayne

is that real enough for you !

egilbe
08-23-2017, 18:46
Proton? Photon?

looks like a nice little daypack.

Venchka
08-23-2017, 18:51
Grinning. I searched for the pack in Post #1.
PROTON.
We were both right.
Spelled correctly the new pack can be found.
Now, are there any reviews of the PHOTON pack from ULA?
Never mind. The Photon pack is the little brother of the CDT pack. Wannabe backpacks in my book.
YMMV
Wayne

Maineiac64
08-23-2017, 21:11
Grinning. I searched for the pack in Post #1.
PROTON.
We were both right.
Spelled correctly the new pack can be found.
Now, are there any reviews of the PHOTON pack from ULA?
Never mind. The Photon pack is the little brother of the CDT pack. Wannabe backpacks in my book.
YMMV
Wayne Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheyou must be quite capable of searching the internet but was hoping to hear from people on WB that might have actual rather than web view experience with the pack. Interestingly, packs come in numerous sizes, configurations, and a host of features to meet specific needs of a variety of hiking styles. It would be helpful to get feedback from people who have used this pack or packs used for the same purpose and can draw meaningful comparisons that will be of value to consider.

saltysack
08-23-2017, 22:15
I love ula but 27oz for 35l frameless pack seems heavy compared to other frameless options such as 38l mld burn or 40-48l prophet being over 10oz lighter...

ScareBear
08-23-2017, 22:46
Holy crud. My Klymit Motion 35 weighs 24 oz and has an air frame with a bulb pump. That ULA is damn heavy for a frameless...the Klymit probably weighs 16 oz without the air frame. BTW, why would I get a frame-less 35L with a max load of 20lb when I can get a framed 35L with a 35 pound max load for the same weight? Am I missing something here?

Miner
08-23-2017, 23:20
I wonder if the weights a typo. It's smaller but heavier than the CDT. Though with some of those buckles, I can see where some weight might come off. When I was buying another CDT pack earlier this year to replace a damaged (by heavy bushwhacking) one, I mentioned to them that I had recently bought a MLD Burn (smaller and lighter than the CDT) for shorter trips because ULA no longer made a smaller pack like when Brian Frankle still owned the company (Relay and Amp packs if my memory serves). If it had been several ounces lighter than the CDT, I might have been interested. They need to look at some of MLD ideas for reducing weight on a frameless pack.

Cheyou
08-24-2017, 05:50
I love ula but 27oz for 35l frameless pack seems heavy compared to other frameless options such as 38l mld burn or 40-48l prophet being over 10oz lighter...

If you remove the "extra" items it's 5oz lighter

JC13
08-24-2017, 08:37
I don't think the weight is a typo based on the FastPack being a claimed 26oz.

ScareBear
08-24-2017, 12:50
I don't think the weight is a typo based on the FastPack being a claimed 26oz.

Which seems silly, considering my Klymit 35L is a panel loader with TWO zippers AND an airsheet frame with bulb pump AND a 35# weight rating.

Remind me why a frameless pack that weighs more, carries 40 percent less load weight and costs more is better for anyone on the trail than the Klymit 35L? :-?:confused::rolleyes:

Venchka
08-24-2017, 15:33
I was searching for reviews. I learned how to build a Ghostbusters Proton pack.
The OP has a major phone auto spell typo error.
The ULA Photon is the pack in question. Too new for online reviews.
Wayne

Coffee
11-30-2017, 19:59
I am considering packs for my upcoming Camino walk and have looked at the Photon on the ULA website. I too was surprised by the weight, especially the fact that it is heavier than the CDT (which I own and really like). I asked Chris about that and he indicated that the weight was due to the roll top that comes standard on the Photon (vs the drawstring on the standard CDT) and the additional front bungee that isn't on the CDT. In general, it sounds like ULA isn't that interested in being "the lightest" and is going for the market that values durability over weight to some degree. Accounting for removable items that I would take off, a Photon would probably weigh in around 23 ounces for me. That's pretty close to the configuration of my custom CDT (it has a roll top and heavier non-stretch front pocket). For me it comes down to volume. I used the CDT on a hike in the Alps a few years ago and it was great but a bit too large. The Photon would probably be perfect for hut to hut (or hostel to hostel) style hiking in Europe. I'm planning to assemble my Camino kit soon and see how it fits in my CDT and, if the CDT is too voluminous, then I might give the Photon a shot. BTW, I am also looking at the zPacks Nero but in order to get an apples to apples comparison, you have to account for the features standard on the Photon that aren't on the Nero (such as a fully padded load bearing hip belt, hip belt pockets, etc).

In general I have nothing but good things to say about ULA products - I have close to 3000 miles on my Circuit and well over 500 on my CDT so I have some brand loyalty. Both packs are still in perfect condition. The Circuit needed a new hip belt after about 2200 miles which Chris sent me under warranty (which I didn't expect, I was ready to have my belt repaired or buy a new one). Great customer service.

saltysack
11-30-2017, 23:27
Why not check out the Burn?

Coffee
12-01-2017, 08:22
Why not check out the Burn?
It looks competitive with the Zpacks Nero in weight and feature set. I'm not really familiar with MLD gear but have heard good things.

saltysack
12-01-2017, 09:08
It looks competitive with the Zpacks Nero in weight and feature set. I'm not really familiar with MLD gear but have heard good things.

Top notch company with great customer service. I like the ability to call and speak with Ron, the owner directly about what i want and also allows customization. My first frameless pack was the MLD prophet which I’ve had a little over a year now and love it but found it’s a larger capacity bag than I need so I ordered a custom burn. Several on this site recommended MLD and I’m glad I listened. My wallet not so happy as I also bought several other pieces such as a cuben duomid....

Coffee
12-01-2017, 09:32
Top notch company with great customer service. I like the ability to call and speak with Ron, the owner directly about what i want and also allows customization. My first frameless pack was the MLD prophet which I’ve had a little over a year now and love it but found it’s a larger capacity bag than I need so I ordered a custom burn. Several on this site recommended MLD and I’m glad I listened. My wallet not so happy as I also bought several other pieces such as a cuben duomid....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds a lot like zPacks before they grew so much and had to standardize ... I miss being able to have zPacks customize gear ...