PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap/Albert Mountain Bypass/Rock Gap/Winding Stair Gap/Wayah Crest Picnic Area

spfleisig
08-24-2017, 07:34
Does anyone have an opinion on whether leaving a car in the aforementioned parking areas is a good or bad idea? The car could be there for up to 10 days.

Thanks

saltysack
08-24-2017, 07:37
Standing indian campground or back country kiosk would be safer. I've left mine there on several occasions without issue....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchet_1697
08-24-2017, 07:44
I've seen lots of cars left at Deep Gap, haven't heard of any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spfleisig
08-24-2017, 07:54
Standing indian campground or back country kiosk would be safer. I've left mine there on several occasions without issue....

Where is back country kiosk? I don't see it in the AWOL guide.

SteelCut
08-24-2017, 08:16
It's not listed specifically in the AWOL guide but it's right outside Standing Indian Campground. My 2016 AWOL guide does mention the CG and the Kimsey Trail between Deep Gap and the Standing Indian CG.

saltysack
08-24-2017, 08:24
Where is back country kiosk? I don't see it in the AWOL guide.

Lil past campground...do search for standing Indian loop hike see map...just a few parking spots with a simple map

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/standing-indian-mt-albert-nantahala-basin-loop--2

JPritch
08-24-2017, 11:19
Agreed on the off-the-main-highway locations such as Deep Gap or Standing Injun. I left my car overnight at Winding Stair Gap without issue, but not sure I'd feel safe for 10 days.

Uncle Joe
08-24-2017, 11:55
Deep Gap should be fine. Rock Gap as well. WS I'd be concerned. As noted, Backcountry Kiosk is a nice place and right at the campground. I've parked there many times.

Tennessee Viking
08-24-2017, 14:29
Winding Stair Gap - I would not suggest for overnight parking.

SI campground and Deep Gap are good spots.

generoll
08-27-2017, 08:52
the back country kiosk is at the conjunction of the Long Branch and Kimsey Creek trails. The usual parking place for folks doing the Standing Indian loop. You can also park opposite the store at the campground for a small daily fee.