PDA

View Full Version : Do Gators work well with short socks (Dirty Girl, Altra, etc...)

blw2
08-24-2017, 10:10
I've been considering picking up a pair of trail runner gators, perhaps dirty girl or if I try the altra shoe I'll try theirs because it clips in.

But I have yet to try them.....

Anyway, I have some of the darn tough 1/4 socks, and I see a bit of a deal for more on massdrop currently. BUT, before I order some more, I was wondering if I would rather have a longer sock to use with the gators. Maybe more comfortable to have that elastic against the sock rather than the skin.

What do you think?

John M
08-24-2017, 10:47
I just used my Dirty Girls for the first time on a trip where I alternated 1/4 length and no show darn tough socks. Gaiters worked great and I usually forgot they were on until I went to untie my shoes.

Malto
08-24-2017, 12:30
I use dirty girls, Altras and quarter length or shorter socks. The Dirty Girls sit right on my legs which is unnoticeable.

Hollywood44
08-24-2017, 14:18
gators make a huge difference

1azarus
08-24-2017, 14:50
I use dirty girls, Altras and quarter length or shorter socks. The Dirty Girls sit right on my legs which is unnoticeable.

same here -- except I am usually wearing pants thanks to my tick phobia, so they rest on my pants and complete my tick avoidance gear. and hello. in fact -- the dirty girls and shorty socks weigh less than standard weight longer socks alone, so secondary advantage is actually weight saving.

Deacon
08-24-2017, 16:07
gators make a huge difference

Difference in what?

JC13
08-24-2017, 18:32
Difference in what?
Gator = Alligator
Gaiter = What the OP actually was asking about

Traffic Jam
08-24-2017, 19:58
I've been considering picking up a pair of trail runner gators, perhaps dirty girl or if I try the altra shoe I'll try theirs because it clips in.

But I have yet to try them.....

Anyway, I have some of the darn tough 1/4 socks, and I see a bit of a deal for more on massdrop currently. BUT, before I order some more, I was wondering if I would rather have a longer sock to use with the gators. Maybe more comfortable to have that elastic against the sock rather than the skin.

What do you think?

I wear Darn Tough 1/4 or Balega no show's with my dirty girls and never notice them. However, you have to measure prior to purchasing the DG's, they aren't for everyone and if you have a larger circumference ankle, they may not be comfortable.

swisscross
08-24-2017, 20:03
Trial running gaiters are made to go over low cut socks, around your ankle...not around the sock. It works to keep c rap out of your shoe and top your sock.
After a while your darn tough 1/4s will stretch out around your ankle and that is where the dirty girls will pay off.

scrabbler
08-24-2017, 21:26
How do ya'll keep that velcro attached to the back of your shoes to keep those gaiters on? Not talking easy AT hiking, I'm talking river crossings, bushwhacking, etc.

swisscross
08-24-2017, 21:34
How do ya'll keep that velcro attached to the back of your shoes to keep those gaiters on? Not talking easy AT hiking, I'm talking river crossings, bushwhacking, etc.

Gorilla glue

MuddyWaters
08-24-2017, 22:10
Yes
But i like 1/4 crew, to protect ankles a bit

Walk in deep single track, the shoe on opposite foot can scrape ankle

John M
08-25-2017, 21:09

I stuck mine on with Shoe Goo. After 100 miles, its still solidly attached.

egilbe
08-26-2017, 17:30
I stuck mine on with Shoe Goo. After 100 miles, its still solidly attached.

Got close to 500 miles on mine stuck on with shoe goo, mostly on that easy At hiking in NH and Maine and those easy 4k footers

Martzy13
08-26-2017, 17:44
I used some Dirty Girls on my AT thru this year with no show Darn Toughs and 1/4 Fits, no irritation, didn't even notice they were on. I also didn't even use the velcro, they stayed low enough on my Hoka's for the most part that I never had to adjust. The only times they came up were when my heels clicked together or I stumbled over rocks, roots, etc. (all avoidable)

Carl7
08-26-2017, 17:56
I used Silicon to attach the velcro to the shoe in a hurry for a 15 day section hike. The velcro came lose after a couple of days in wet conditions. I agree with with the above posts to use Shoe Goo, Gorilla glue or similar for good adhesion of the velcro to the shoe. Even without the velcro, the Dirty Girls only allowed one small piece of debris in my low cut trail runners over 12 days. If you kick your ankles a lot, you may want to use higher length socks with the Dirty Girls. Otherwise, 1/4 length are perfect.

blw2
08-26-2017, 21:04
Gator = Alligator
Gaiter = What the OP actually was asking about

yeah ok, you got me. Stupid mistake.... in my defense I was trying to get the post out in a hurry one day....and besides, I live in North FL, not too far from Gainesville and UF. Pretty much see Gators stuff every where I look around here....

Anyway, thanks everyone!