PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Gap at Roan Mtn Parking

wolfywolfy
08-24-2017, 18:16
How bad is vandalism at Carvers Gap? I want to make several trips there this fall but at $40 a pop for the shuttle it could add up real quickly. Hoping someone familiar with the area will respond.

illabelle
08-24-2017, 18:36
I live/work in the Knoxville area, so I'm not local to Roan Mtn, however, I've been there a few times. If you're not familiar with it, Carver's Gap is a popular area for dayhiking. The parking area is large and right at the well-traveled road. I wouldn't hesitate about leaving a vehicle there for a weekend.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2017, 09:16
I have gone over the roan highlands 7-8 times and never an issue. If you are going to be hiking to 19E, you can park at the mountain harbor bb for like $3-5 a day. I personally park my car where I please (at legal to park locations), and forget about the car until I return. I also have full coverage so I am never worried about it at all.

Tennessee Viking
08-25-2017, 09:24
The 19E crossing to Buck Mtn & Bitter End has bad history. Parking at Mtn Harbor B&B is suggested.

Carvers Gap has some vandalism. But not as bad as 19E. You will be ok. Just don't make anything obvious to break into the vehicle.

GoldenBear
08-25-2017, 11:36
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/28677-Mountain-Harbour-Bed-and-Breakfast-near-19E?p=2165103&highlight=#post2165103

I used their shuttle, and parked there for $2 a night.

Knee Jerk
01-31-2018, 08:52
We parked at Carver's Gap in early November and there had to be a hundred cars there, more automobiles circling around looking for spots and maybe 20 people milling about either starting a hike or ending one. Can't believe anyone would vandalize a car in those circumstances but if you are leaving it overnight, that may be a different issue.