PDA

View Full Version : Non AT question ok? Road trip w kid from ATL

tombolino
08-24-2017, 23:17
Hi,

Next weekend I want to do a 3 night trip from Atlanta with my 7 year old, comboing fun in the water, hiking, camping, maybe chill biking, Asheville intown fun, small hikes near Asheville/Blue Ridge Parkway.

I have been looking at a bunch of state parks, not sure which to pick. But on the 1st day we would drive to a state park and spend the day, night and maybe another night, not sure....and them make our way up to Asheville.

I got noted so far: Unicoi Pk, Black Rock Mountain Pk, Tallulah Gorge Pk, Vogel, Table Rock Pk, Amicalola Pk, Nantahala Forest, Ft. Mountain Pk.

I have looked at dozens of pics online, just cant pick. I just want to pick a park that is immediately obviously gorgeous, nice looking body of water to swim in that doesnt look muddy, other kids, clean. In other words, not a lame camp site/park.

In the past we have done Cloudland Canyon (awesome), Lake Lanier, and a camp site with creeks and waterfalls on the AT cant remember name.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thank you!

S

HooKooDooKu
08-24-2017, 23:37
You can get some of the things you want from Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
On Saturday and Wednesday mornings, Cades Cove Loop Road is closed before 10am to vehicle traffic while allowing bicycles and hikers.
Then of course there's lots of camping possibilities.

Dan Roper
08-25-2017, 02:10
Tallulah Gorge State Park would be an excellent Night One. The trail around the canyon, down into the canyon, across the river via swinging bridge, meets your definition "immediately obviously gorgeous" criteria.

After that, while heading into North Carolina, take the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Asheville and hike in Graveyard Fields. Gorgeous high altitude terrain with some big waterfalls and good loop trails. The scenery reminds me of out west or somewhat like the Grayson Highlands. This is in Pisgah National Forest, so you should be able to find a good campsite in the area (or you can backpack at Graveyard Fields). There is a swimming hold not too far away at Sliding Rock (I think that's the name).

Have fun!

Venchka
08-25-2017, 09:02
Denali. Definitely Denali.
But seriously. Throw darts at a map of western North Carolina. Find a campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Go exploring. Find a place you never heard of before.
You're suffering from Analysis Paralysis.
Have fun.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombolino
08-26-2017, 15:05
Thank you. Went with Morganton Point; it had availability.