PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the south

Pages : 1 [2]

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:17
Having been born and raised in the south I don't find the things you say Reverend to be based in much fact at all. May I ask when you've lived down here? Or for that matter if you've visited down here for any length of time?

I am a Southern Gal and proud of it, however, as has been stated previously in this monster of a tread... generalizations don't cut it anywhere. I have friends from all walks of life, in all parts of the country and it matters not to me where someone was born, where they live or even what color their skin is... Treat me with respect and dignity and the same will be shown to you.

Just my point of view for what it's worth. :)

Dix, I think most New yorkers who travel to the south come back with some story about rudeness, or comments about New York. It's almost as bad as France.
That said, I've met some WONDERFUL people from the south. It's just the negativety is a recurring thing. It's there. I guess I had hoped for honesty from the southern posters so I could understand it better and protect myself from it. But most of you have denied it and pointed the finger back at us. Oh well

QHShowoman
02-07-2006, 14:20
Please. Spare me. What do New Yorkers say about gawking tourists who clog up the busy sidewalks? :rolleyes: And what do they say about rednecks? :-? Like I said, ignorance is everywhere.

Complaining about gawking tourists or rednecks isn't a characteristic of New Yorkers in general -- although certainly some New Yorkers may make such comments -- it is a characteristic of some people, regardless of where they live. You'll hear disparaging comments about rednecks from northerners and southerners alike; same thing for tourists.

I think we need to be careful with the generalizations we are tossing around ... might save us a lot of hurt feelings and flaming later on.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:25
Being afraid of inadvertantly hurting someones feelings is no reason to not discuss things with complete honesty and openness

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:26
The thread has been viewed over 4,200 times, isn't that amazing?

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 14:28
Thanks Dixiecritter. I have visited most Southern States. I didn't live in the South and did't stay for extended periods but in 85% of my extended stays I ran into predjudice, whether it be about the North, blacks, or gays. I have even seen anti-homosexual billboards and signs in the South, surely you've seen these. In the last 2 months I've been everywhere between Jacksonville and Little River, SC. and in the past I've been to TN, VA. You, DixieCritter are the exception if you do not harbour these types of predjudices. It isn;t something I look for when I am in the South, it is something that always seems to make itself known. You must agree that these sentiments are strong in the SOuth, yes eveywhere perhaps but stronger there

Organize a gay pride parade on Flatbush Av in Broklyn and see what kind of reaction you get from the locals. Better have extra security avail. Anti gay sentiment is not unique to the south nor is racial discrimination. Never have I seen such open racism as in some of the Irish neighborhoods of Boston.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:32
The thread has been viewed over 4,200 times, isn't that amazing?

This is a topic that evryone knows is an issue. This is a harsh thing to discuss and brings up alot of emotional stuff. We must not take showoman's path and ignore these things because we're afraid of emotion. Things like that get push down, hard feeling get repressed and come out in sneeky and ugly ways. I would rather shine the light on these things and see what they really are;)

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:33
Organize a gay pride parade on Flatbush Av in Broklyn and see what kind of reaction you get from the locals. Better have extra security avail. Anti gay sentiment is not unique to the south nor is racial discrimination. Never have I seen such open racism as in some of the Irish neighborhoods of Boston.

Like he said, they exists everywhere, but are stronger in the south. Enough trying to reverse this, it's dishonest

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 14:34
This topic is very much a non-issue on the AT. The big issue is your paranoia and being a scardy cat. That's the truth.:cool:

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:39

There is a brooklyn gay pride parade. There are plenty of homosexuals living on or off Flatbush. It's a pretty diverse string of neighborhoods along Flatbush. I don't think it is unique to teh South unfortunatley but it is stronger in the South. Why else would gay southerners flee their homes for New York and Boston?

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 14:40
Like he said, they exists everywhere, but are stronger in the south. Enough trying to reverse this, it's dishonest

Do you have objective independent data to support this statement or is it your 100% personal opinion? ......cause opinions are like (_|_). We all have one.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:41
My dad lives in the Morning Side Heights section of Manhattan about a stones throw from Broadway/125th street. I have made many visits and find the people of NY City, in general, very pleasant. I do get strange looks when I open doors for women or when I say "yes mam" " no mam" "yes sir" "no sir" to folks.

The rude behavior I've seen is more a function of the pace of life in the city plus the fact that what some southerners view as rude is simply direct and assertive behavior. Which is not typical of the rural south.

We southerners tip toe around each other.

I think your on to something. On this site I've been attcked and told I was rude a few times and I didn't understand why. I think in the south the WAY you say things is as important as WHAT you say. In New York, the WAY you say somethiung or how you sound saying it is irrelevent compared to WHAT you are saying. It's not important for us to be very polite but rather how we act when it counts.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 14:42
There is a brooklyn gay pride parade. There are plenty of homosexuals living on or off Flatbush. It's a pretty diverse string of neighborhoods along Flatbush. I don't think it is unique to teh South unfortunatley but it is stronger in the South. Why else would gay southerners flee their homes for New York and Boston?
How do you know so much about gay hoods in NY being from NH?:)

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:46
How do you know so much about gay hoods in NY being from NH?:)

Why do you care? WHy do you assume I've lived in NH all my life? You are a smart one, arnt ya? How do so much about nothin being from Damascus, VA?

Why are you attacking me now? First on the Religion thread where you insulted Christians and now again here. I think you should be gagged for being mean to Christians.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:47
that should read: how do you know so much about...

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:48
Don't feed the troll, ignore him maybe he'll go away

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 14:51
You boys (or boy) are too easy.:D

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 15:02
Why do you care? WHy do you assume I've lived in NH all my life? You are a smart one, arnt ya? How do so much about nothin being from Damascus, VA?

Why are you attacking me now? First on the Religion thread where you insulted Christians and now again here. I think you should be gagged for being mean to Christians.

You obviously feel very strongly about this issue, maybe even stronger then me. My advice is not to allow yourself to be pulled down to this level. :)

Tim Rich
02-07-2006, 15:08

I didn't see any Christians insulted by anyone in the religion thread. It all depends on how sensitive you are. I'm not offended that Lone Wolf sees Mary in his ramen, oatmeal or in the oil spray from his Harley.

You being a right reverend, you might want to portray folks honestly. And put aside hidden agendas.

Take Care,

Tim

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 15:20
You mean hidden agendas like being from the south, and defending others from the south? Those kind?

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 15:23
You must admit there is a vast difference between New City and Manhaatan.

Of course. In the Clarkstown School District, we were taught how to spell Manhattan correctly. ;)

Tim Rich
02-07-2006, 15:30
You mean hidden agendas like being from the south, and defending others from the south? Those kind?

Nope, more like if one espouses how wrong or intolerant it is to put scripture on a billboard stating the truth that sex outside marriage is a sin, and then becomes livid when asked how they know so much about gay neighborhoods and the migration patterns of southern homosexuals, they might have a little bit more than a conversational interest in the topic.

Seems a bit high strung to me.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 15:34
Nope, more like if one espouses how wrong or intolerant it is to put scripture on a billboard stating the truth that sex outside marriage is a sin, and then becomes livid when asked how they know so much about gay neighborhoods and the migration patterns of southern homosexuals, they might have a little bit more than a conversational interest in the topic.

Gotcha. ;)

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 16:51

Mr, Rich, I'm sorry if I upset you but you must not be reading carefully at all. The anti-gay billboard was an example. My response to LoneW was angry, not with a hidden agenda, but fueled nonetheless by his provoking. As for the Religion thread. The posters were all sharing and then LoneW ( who already had made his bad behavior apparent ) went on that thead and made a joke that is discourteous. It is the same discourtesy as the so-called "truth" billboards put up in the name of religion but is actually a control device via hate-mob-mentality which brings us back to, yes, the subject, the South.

I don't think I am anymore highstrung than you.

And again, the question about why I know about gay brooklyn when Ilive in NH, is still a stupid question. Don't you think ( given LoneW's record o posting and provoking) that his irrelevent question was meant to provoke?

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 16:53
Of course. In the Clarkstown School District, we were taught how to spell Manhattan correctly. ;)

Thanks Miss Crabtree, can I go out and play now?

kyhipo
02-07-2006, 16:59
ah! how do you get one of those cool hiking pictures next to your name?:D ky iwant one.

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 17:03
Thanks Miss Crabtree, can I go out and play now?

Funny you should say that. Miss Crabtree was my first grade teacher.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 17:15
[quote=Trail. Don't you think ( given LoneW's record o posting and provoking) that his irrelevent question was meant to provoke?[/quote]

Rev. I know your new so I'll school you briefly on what your dealing with. L.wolf's m.o is to jump on to a thread, say something to provoke you, then jump off. I warned you to ignore his irrelevant comments, or your response would be used against you. Most of the southern posters here are not interested in hearing you or in having a logical discussion. They are going to take sides against you and any mistake ( even in spelling) will be used as a weapon. Hence this post dealing with hateful southerners and their mob mentalities.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 17:16
ah! how do you get one of those cool hiking pictures next to your name?:D ky iwant one.

Go to edit profile, and choose an avatar

kyhipo
02-07-2006, 17:20
thanks trail Rev,ky

Tim Rich
02-07-2006, 17:52
Mr, Rich, I'm sorry if I upset you but you must not be reading carefully at all. The anti-gay billboard was an example. My response to LoneW was angry, not with a hidden agenda, but fueled nonetheless by his provoking. As for the Religion thread. The posters were all sharing and then LoneW ( who already had made his bad behavior apparent ) went on that thead and made a joke that is discourteous. It is the same discourtesy as the so-called "truth" billboards put up in the name of religion but is actually a control device via hate-mob-mentality which brings us back to, yes, the subject, the South.

And again, the question about why I know about gay brooklyn when Ilive in NH, is still a stupid question. Don't you think ( given LoneW's record o posting and provoking) that his irrelevent question was meant to provoke?

I don't know if his irrelevant question was meant to provoke, but it did. As Southerners are prone to say, "the hit dog yells the loudest".

Many folks who disagree with Christian teachings like to throw in the words hate and intolerance when conscientious Christians exercise their free speech rights. This "hate-mob-mentality" of which you speak is actually a moral approach to societal rules, and it's not exclusively a Southern thing. If it wasn't for the Massachusetts Supreme Court divining a right to same-sex marriage from the state constitution, the will of the people in one of the most liberal states would have been carried out in the same manner as in most of our nation.

If you think someone joking about seeing a holy figure in their ramen is difficult to overcome, then I'd consider you about as sensitive, and high strung, as the murderous muslims rioting over political cartoons. It gets pretty freewheeling around here, and pointed commentary comes from folks all over the social and political landscape. Threads morph at astounding rates, and the ownership and control of a thread leaves the author the moment he posts. Enjoy the ride.

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 17:57

Just to make sure that I understand your point here..........

I'm assuming that your are a Christian Reverand. If not please clarify for me.

The 7th Commandment is : You shall not commit adultery

Adultery is defined, in this context, as sexual relations outside the bond of marriage. Marriage is defined, again in the biblical context, as the blessed union between a man and a woman.

So there are groups of religious people who believe that homosexuality is a breach of the 10 Commandments. Hence a sin in the eyes of God. These groups pay money for a billboard reaffirming their beliefs and encouraging those who break this commandment to stop. The intent, based on their religious teaching, is that by encouraging a turn from sin and toward God, the person will escape the fires of hell.

Your view is that this practice is "discourteous.....and a control device via hate-mob-mentality".

Do you object to highway signs encouraging seat belt use or warning of dangerous road conditions as well? The intent is the same. To save a person from danger.

Would you also object to a sign against murder or robbery? They are also part of the 10 Commandments. Equally sinful in the eyes of God.

Or do you pick and choose which of God's Commandments you follow?

Just curious.....

the goat
02-07-2006, 18:03
Why is it ridiculous, goat, you responded and agreed in part. Are your friends native New Yorkers?

i agreed that "NYC rudeness" is a stupid generalization and ill-founded.

however, saying that the rude people in NYC, are those who moved up from the south is pretty dumb. it's hard to decry generalizations in one breath, and then make one in the next. it kinda takes the wind out of your entire point.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 18:10

Adultery is defined, in this context, as sexual relations outside the bond of marriage. Marriage is defined, again in the biblical context, as the blessed union between a man and a woman.

So there are groups of religious people who believe that homosexuality is a breach of the 10 Commandments. Hence a sin in the eyes of God. These groups pay money for a billboard reaffirming their beliefs and encouraging those who break this commandment to stop. The intent, based on their religious teaching, is that by encouraging a turn from sin and toward God, the person will escape the fires of hell.

Your view is that this practice is "discourteous.....and a control device via hate-mob-mentality".

Do you object to highway signs encouraging seat belt use or warning of dangerous road conditions as well? The intent is the same. To save a person from danger.

Would you also object to a sign against murder or robbery? They are also part of the 10 Commandments. Equally sinful in the eyes of God.

Just curious.....

This isn't a commandment issue, it is an issue about basic human kindness and respect which when I last checked was practiced by Jesus. Making people feel bad, maginalized, because of their choices is anti-christian, anti-Jesus and anti-american. It is hurtfull to someone. One group's interpretation of the bible doesn't make it correct to put up signs like that. That sounds closer to Nazism than Christianity. Maybe Jesus should have put up anti Leper signs or anti-mary-magdalegne signs, but he didn't. This type of hate billbaord os typical for the South where confederate flags still wave, and for what, nostaglia about how to dominate and marginalize people in a legal way. The sooner Southerner wake up, the sooner the rest of us can look forward to a peaceful co-existance and brighter future.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 18:13
Also, are you seriously comparing highway signs and education about safety to marginalizing people and spewing hatred?

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 18:14
I think your on to something. On this site I've been attcked and told I was rude a few times and I didn't understand why. I think in the south the WAY you say things is as important as WHAT you say. In New York, the WAY you say somethiung or how you sound saying it is irrelevent compared to WHAT you are saying. It's not important for us to be very polite but rather how we act when it counts.

Here's one thing I don't understand. On one hand you say it's not important to be "very polite" in New York (which is a crock - IMO) and on the other hand you are very sensitive - citing a poem as the catalyst for your anger. Most New Yorkers that I know are tough - not thin skinned. While that's a generalization, wouldn't you tend to agree with me?

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 18:17
I think part of being tough is fighting for what you believe and from a place of conviction.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 18:25

Just curious.....

It is also presumptuous of you to think you understand God's intentions. I do not see anti-adultery signs. I do not see groups fighting portrayals of heterosexual adultery as they do with gay sibjects. How could you seriously tell me that there isn't a lot of warped hatred in the South. What about the groups that call pregant girls on teh phone with children's voices as a tactic to stop her from aborting the baby. It is a scare tactic, it is warped and wrong to verbally abuse someone especially an already frightened girl.

Throughout the centuries religion has been used by bad people to abuse others---the spanish inquisition, the crusades ( for which we are paying 4 now by the Muslims) the genocide and subjugation of the Native Americans---can't you see that you havent learned anything from history and that you are playing right into the hands of people who just want to control and take your money.

Almost There
02-07-2006, 18:26
Alright time for the Internegator to chime in!!! Whether homosexuality is a sin or not is for NONE of us to decide. These are people who deserve our compassion and understanding. What they do is between them and God. Are we that arrogant to tell others how they should live their lives? Come on Stoker, treat others as you would wish to be treated. Have you ever heard of , "Love thy neighbor as thy self."? It's not judge your neighbor. Closemindedness is the reason for the problems we see in our world. We don't have to understand, but we also need not judge nor fear that which we do not understand.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 18:28
Here's one thing I don't understand. On one hand you say it's not important to be "very polite" in New York (which is a crock - IMO) and on the other hand you are very sensitive - citing a poem as the catalyst for your anger. Most New Yorkers that I know are tough - not thin skinned. While that's a generalization, wouldn't you tend to agree with me?

A. politeness is taken way more seriously in the south

B. A direct attack on where someone is from is not a matter of politeness, it is a direct attack. I can assure you while not holding the door for someone in N>Y will probably go unnoticed, making fun of where someone is from, where there mother and father is from will likely get you punched in the face.
C. If you read my post again you'll see that I said it's not how you say it, but what you say that counts. If you insult me with a smile and with nice words I'll still react.

Come on dude, this is obvious. I think you grasping at straws now to try and punch holes in my logic

Cuffs
02-07-2006, 18:32
Darwin rocks!

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 18:32
Alright time for the Internegator to chime in!!! Whether homosexuality is a sin or not is for NONE of us to decide. These are people who deserve our compassion and understanding. What they do is between them and God. Are we that arrogant to tell others how they should live their lives? Come on Stoker, treat others as you would wish to be treated. Have you ever heard of , "Love thy neighbor as thy self."? It's not judge your neighbor. Closemindedness is the reason for the problems we see in our world. We don't have to understand, but we also need not judge nor fear that which we do not understand.

Thank you Almost There, I was thinking I was alone in my beliefs here.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 18:37
A. politeness is taken way more seriously in the south

B. A direct attack on where someone is from is not a matter of politeness, it is a direct attack. I can assure you while not holding the door for someone in N>Y will probably go unnoticed, making fun of where someone is from, where there mother and father is from will likely get you punched in the face.
C. If you read my post again you'll see that I said it's not how you say it, but what you say that counts. If you insult me with a smile and with nice words I'll still react.

Come on dude, this is obvious. I think you grasping at straws now to try and punch holes in my logic

I think we're getting somewhere though. maybe you don't understand the difference between a direct, harsh delivery and a real offense. Someone could be coarse, ignoring all etiquette and still have a good and right message. Sometimes the prettily wrapped package doesn't have the best contents. Do you understand?

ed bell
02-07-2006, 18:40
Whenever you hear some scary story about a hiker run in with some weird locals, it always seems to be in the southern portion of the trail. Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?

Just scanned the LONG list of posts here. Saw ZERO posts that concurred with the thread subject. No substantiaton from Kirk about these "scary stories that always seem to be from the southern portion of the trail"; No scary stories about "southern culture on the skids"; no advice on "getting out of there unscathed"; no run in with "weird locals down south"; no stories from a thru-hiker who did not come out unscathed. Truth is the Appalachian Trail has settled in quite nicely with the small trail towns down here. A common sentiment expressed by many is that care must be taken ANY time you hit an isolated road crossing because there will be a bad element anywhere you go. That being said, I have heard some stories of problems with locals down here. Most have EVERYTHING to do with land ownership issues, not "southerners hate Yankees so lets hassle the hikers", and have gradually simmered down in the past few years. These incidents have been discussed here for years. Negative thread subect + little to no support of thread topic's premise by the members of this group + LOADS of off topic comments = fun reading but no addition to this thread's usefulness. We have plenty of threads here at Whiteblaze that are similar to this one in regards to total views. It's not suprising. What is suprising is that virtually ALL the content is off the topic.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 18:45
ED how about the two female hikers killed in virginia, for being lesbians. Hateful/ weird enough?

Heater
02-07-2006, 18:52
:cool: I guess if Ol' Neil can sing about us than anyone can.:cool:

Including Lynard Skynard, who responded to Young's song "Southern Man" with "Sweet home Alabama".

"I hope Neil Young will remember... Southern Man don't need him arooouuund anyhow"

:D

BTW... there were no animosities between the artists. I was all tongue in cheek on Skynard's part.

shades of blue
02-07-2006, 18:56
I thought VA was in the North for sure (it is for North Carolinians:cool: )
Wasn't there a guy in PA who attacked people in a Gay bar just recently ( I know it was somewhere North of here). Also, the most Confederate battle flags I have ever seen were in Duncannon, PA...thought I was home.

Is there racism and hatred in the South...yes, of course there is. Are people from New York rude....of course they are...some of them, some of the time. To say all, or even most of a group of people is one way or another is pretty closed minded.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met are North of the Mason-Dixon line....some of them even have moved down South. Most people joke about Yankees or New Yorkers...but most of us don't believe it. In some ways we have different cultures...but mostly we are cut from the same cloth. I feel very safe in the Southern AT....I just use common sense....I feel the same way in the Northern AT....except for those huge rock slabs of NH and ME.....now that is scary.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 19:00

So there are groups of religious people who believe that homosexuality is a breach of the 10 Commandments. Hence a sin in the eyes of God. .....

Just curious.....

Thank you for helping to validate the premise of this site. This thread was designed/worded to expose who you really are. Keep'em com'in:sun

The Cheat
02-07-2006, 19:01
I'd just like to state for the record that nobody from the South, North, East, or West has been mean to me. :)

The Cheat
02-07-2006, 19:03
Thank you for helping to validate the premise of this site. This thread was designed/worded to expose who you really are. Keep'em com'in:sun

The premise of this site is to discuss the AT, not expose people for whom they really are. Anybody know if it's going to snow near Pawling this weekend?

dizzyT
02-07-2006, 19:04
Perhaps the people who pay for the billboards see this as an act of compassion. Trying to save these people from their eternal fates. No one is forced to read the billboard to use an argument of the left.

Of course if this scares them to the north I am ok with that too. J/K

SteveJ
02-07-2006, 19:16
Whenever you hear some scary story about a hiker run in with some weird locals, it always seems to be in the southern portion of the trail. Bill Bryson described the folk of the southern apps as 'walking cadavers'. Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?

A reminder to all of the initial post above that started this primarily mean-spirited thread.

I reiterate my earlier advice. Don't come.

Please folks, put the trolls on your ignore list like I did and let this die. :bse

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 19:16
Perhaps the people who pay for the billboards see this as an act of compassion. Trying to save these people from their eternal fates. No one is forced to read the billboard to use an argument of the left.

Of course if this scares them to the north I am ok with that too. J/K

Perhaps this so-called act of compassion is similar to the compassion the Europeans used when slaying Muslims during the crusades.

And "not reading" isn;t the point, it is teaching children that this is ok and it creates a mob mentality. It is easier to get people to follow you when you have a common targeted enemy. Do the people of Mississippi tell the their black citizens to not look at their flag which has a confederate flag on it?

Kevin A. Boyce
02-07-2006, 19:18
The premise of this site is to discuss the AT, not expose people for whom they really are. Anybody know if it's going to snow near Pawling this weekend?

Hey Cheat, it looks like there is a chance of snow according to the forecast on NOAA's site. But becareful, you never know how those people east of Poughkeepsie will react to you big city folk coming around!

Kevin

PS, for those of you that LACK a funny bone, that is a joke, well at least not the weather part.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 19:21
A reminder to all of the initial post above that started this primarily mean-spirited thread.

I reiterate my earlier advice. Don't come.

Please folks, put the trolls on your ignore list like I did and let this die. :bse

thanks for the reminder but doesn't the subsequent posts reinforce the original post. What of the story about the slain lesbians on the AT. If you are an advocate for ignoring then why do you feel compelled to check in. Southerners on this site, both mean-spirited and some cool reponded by saying that people from the South are not this way only to have the truth exposed so brilliantly.

dizzyT
02-07-2006, 19:29
Reverend>>>>>>your post is too ridiculous to even argue with.

I think you need to go back to analogy class.

dizzyT
02-07-2006, 19:32
I doubt the slaying had anything to do with the fact that they were lesbians. I don't know anyone in the south personally that has a problem with lesbians.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 19:36
I doubt the slaying had anything to do with the fact that they were lesbians. I don't know anyone in the south personally that has a problem with lesbians.

If you were to read the thread you would see the info on the lesbian slaying. Also I didnt make an analogy in the post above yours and there is no such thing as analogy class. If you rae referring to my analogies about religion throughout history used wrongfully for hate then you are the ridiculous one. Hateful billboards are helpful, they reinforce and spread hate.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 19:37
it shoud read unhelpful obviously, i am typing gast but am sure still can be understood

dizzyT
02-07-2006, 19:40
I think the bible is pretty clear on this issue......um reverend........If you you are unclear on this perhaps God will show how he feels about it.

After most here would agree.....our Ramen needs some salt

Almost There
02-07-2006, 19:40
Actually if I remember correctly...he did target them because they were lesbians...it might have even been labeled as a hate crime. Someone else could confirm this as this has also been beaten to death on WB

Kevin A. Boyce
02-07-2006, 19:42
thanks for the reminder but doesn't the subsequent posts reinforce the original post. What of the story about the slain lesbians on the AT. If you are an advocate for ignoring then why do you feel compelled to check in. Southerners on this site, both mean-spirited and some cool reponded by saying that people from the South are not this way only to have the truth exposed so brilliantly.

Yes Trail Rev, the WHOLE South is full of hillbillies/rednecks/hatemongers/insert name of your choice.... If that is YOUR truth, if it seems so bad to you, then do us all a favor, DON'T GO SOUTH! Heck, you are in NH? Don't go past I90 or I91 if things are so bad... Do you have an XFiles poster on your bedroom wall too? The Truth is Out There....

JEEZ/ PLEASE Moderators, this thread has not just died a slow death from the get go, but it is doing a darn job of imitating Lazarus as well! Can this thread be locked, there has been no redeeming discussion here about the AT, threats on the AT, or anything that cannot be found by doing a search on past WB threads.

And for those of you about to jump me for supporting censorship, for saying I am ignoring, helping, and proving how bad it is down South, stuff it!
I have heard so much darn whining on this thread that I wonder what type of bait you all are using? Is it a Meps? Fly? Or good old fashion worm...

For crying out loud, there are jerks up North, down South, out East and over in the West... There are also some of the nicest people you will ever meet in the North, South, East and West... End of story!

kyhipo
02-07-2006, 19:56
Yes Trail Rev, the WHOLE South is full of hillbillies/rednecks/hatemongers/insert name of your choice.... If that is YOUR truth, if it seems so bad to you, then do us all a favor, DON'T GO SOUTH! Heck, you are in NH? Don't go past I90 or I91 if things are so bad... Do you have an XFiles poster on your bedroom wall too? The Truth is Out There....

JEEZ/ PLEASE Moderators, this thread has not just died a slow death from the get go, but it is doing a darn job of imitating Lazarus as well! Can this thread be locked, there has been no redeeming discussion here about the AT, threats on the AT, or anything that cannot be found by doing a search on past WB threads.

And for those of you about to jump me for supporting censorship, for saying I am ignoring, helping, and proving how bad it is down South, stuff it!
I have heard so much darn whining on this thread that I wonder what type of bait you all are using? Is it a Meps? Fly? Or good old fashion worm...

For crying out loud, there are jerks up North, down South, out East and over in the West... There are also some of the nicest people you will ever meet in the North, South, East and West... End of story!
[/quote]like i said most people who have hiked in other areas understand the philosphy of live and let live,ky:clap :clap :clap :clap

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 20:04
This isn't a commandment issue, it is an issue about basic human kindness and respect which when I last checked was practiced by Jesus. Making people feel bad, maginalized, because of their choices is anti-christian, anti-Jesus and anti-american. It is hurtfull to someone. One group's interpretation of the bible doesn't make it correct to put up signs like that. That sounds closer to Nazism than Christianity. Maybe Jesus should have put up anti Leper signs or anti-mary-magdalegne signs, but he didn't This type of hate billbaord os typical for the South where confederate flags still wave, and for what, nostaglia about how to dominate and marginalize people in a legal way. The sooner Southerner wake up, the sooner the rest of us can look forward to a peaceful co-existance and brighter future.

Do you believe that Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple in Jerusalem?

The red text in my bible quotes Jeaus as saying......"My house should be a house of prayer but you have made it a den of theives. ( 8th commandment : you shall not steal ) Do you think the money changers felt that Jesus was being kind and respectful to them? What about the people watching? Did they feel that Jesus was being kind and respectful?

This is the same Jesus that healed lepers and forgave Mary Magdalegne. ( not sure where your signs reference is coming from :confused: ).

Your logic paints Jesus is hypocrite. Is that your intent? His behavior in the temple is an example of a time when Jesus's actions were not as you described him.

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 20:09
Also, are you seriously comparing highway signs and education about safety to marginalizing people and spewing hatred?

Highways signs serve to guide and protect us on our earthly journey. The 10 Commandments serves as the highway signs for the spiritual journeys of billions of people on this planet. Should not have used so subtle a parable. :)

dixicritter
02-07-2006, 20:13
Alright already. This thread is nothing but bickering now. I warned everyone several pages back that if it continued this thread would be closed down.

Closed!