PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the south

Pages : [1] 2

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 12:21
Whenever you hear some scary story about a hiker run in with some weird locals, it always seems to be in the southern portion of the trail. Bill Bryson described the folk of the southern apps as 'walking cadavers'. Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?

neo
02-03-2006, 12:22
Whenever you hear some scary story about a hiker run in with some weird locals, it always seems to be in the southern portion of the trail. Bill Bryson described the folk of the southern apps as 'walking cadavers'. Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?

i never had any problems in south,but i did in pa.:cool: neo

TN_Hiker
02-03-2006, 12:30
Well don't leave us in suspense Neo. Tell us about the PA encounter.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 12:31
Don't feed the troll y'all.

Doppleganger
02-03-2006, 12:32
I'm from WV, not the south but pound for pound we've got more hillbilly's then anybody. I know some that enjoy messing with hikers. Not anything really harmful (I hope), but that mindset does exist. It's Half curiousity and half fear.

TN_Hiker
02-03-2006, 12:33
Nothing wrong w/ a hillbilly; which is not to be confused w/ a redneck -- or more PC -- Appalachian American

mingo
02-03-2006, 12:38
it's only yankees that have trouble in the south and it's because they are stupid

Dances with Mice
02-03-2006, 12:42
Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?No. All those stories are true. 'Deliverance' was a documentary.

Stay away. It's not safe for you.

longshank
02-03-2006, 12:43
it's only yankees that have trouble in the south and it's because they are stupid
Your superior intellect is clearly illustrated by your most eloquent and appropo. response.

longshank
02-03-2006, 12:44
i never had any problems in south,but i did in pa.:cool: neo
What problems did you have in pa?

Cuffs
02-03-2006, 12:46
Your superior intellect is clearly illustrated by your most eloquent and appropo. response.

As is yours with your spelling... is apropos...

kyhipo
never had any probs in the south just in conn.locals jumped me walking home to my hideaway in the woods,ky

longshank
I would reccomend a good scatter gun. Fire it in the air once when you see them, and they'll think you're some sort of god.

longshank
02-03-2006, 12:49
never had any probs in the south just in conn.locals jumped me walking home to my hideaway in the woods,ky
Did they beat you up, mess up your stuff? What happened?

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 12:50
I do believe we have someone on this site that has an inmaginary friend,who answers himself:bse ky

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 12:51

You've got to tell the story, don't leave us hanging

longshank
02-03-2006, 12:52
I do believe we have someone on this site that has an inmaginary friend,who answers himself:bse ky
It's o.k. for you to believe that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 12:54
It's pretty obvious Kirky and Longy are one.:rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
You've got to tell the story, don't leave us hanging....."us'?.......

longshank
I've heard of people swerveing their cars towards hikers as if to hit them, making them jump off the road.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 12:55
Let's hear the story!

SteveJ
02-03-2006, 12:55

yeah. don't come.

longshank
02-03-2006, 12:56
There there, little boy. Someday life will seem easier to understand.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 12:58
It's pretty obvious that longshanks and I are two different people. But this is off topic

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 13:00
It's pretty obvious that longshanks and I are two different people. But this is off topic

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 13:01
:bse :bse :bse your right wolf,lets just say its comical anyone who has actually hiked elsewhere,knows there good people and bad folk everywhere.ky

longshank
02-03-2006, 13:03
If you don't have anything productive to share pertaining to this thread, please stop posting to it.

longshank
02-03-2006, 13:04
:bse :bse :bse your right wolf,lets just say its comical anyone who has actually hiked elsewhere,knows there good people and bad folk everywhere.ky
That goes for you too, KY.

Doppleganger
02-03-2006, 13:04
Once when I was walking off the trail in south carolina I was called 'hiker scum', by a couple of guys in a pickup. I just kept walking, but I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable for a few days. I sorry to say it (because i've got family in NC) but there is something to what Kirkmcuets is saying

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 13:05
If you don't have anything productive to share pertaining to this thread, please stop posting to it.

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 13:06
yeah:jump ky

Doppleganger
02-03-2006, 13:07
That is, I guess I just knew nobody would bother me in the New england states. Just my experience/feelings

The Solemates
02-03-2006, 13:08

i'd have to agree, somewhat. i think what mingo meant is that they act stupid, not that their intellectual power is incompetent.

Almost There
02-03-2006, 13:08
If you hear a banjo better start running...

Ender
02-03-2006, 13:10
Wow... this thread is useless and of no actual help to anyone.

Bad people everywhere... north, south, middle... Good people everywhere too.

I had no problems south or north.

The Cheat
02-03-2006, 13:13
Whenever you hear some scary story about a hiker run in with some weird locals, it always seems to be in the southern portion of the trail.?

Bill Bryson described the folk of the southern apps as 'walking cadavers'.Never read it.

Anyone have any stories/advice for getting out of there unscathed?Yes, if you're truly not a troll, and truly not longshanks, and you truly believe this, you really should not go south of Jersey. And don't go north into Connecticut either.

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 13:13
That goes for you too, KY.how dare you call me ky :cool: most people that know me call me kentucky even when I was a wildman I didnt make fun of peoples trail names,You can call me minister ky.

The Cheat
02-03-2006, 13:15
That is, I guess I just knew nobody would bother me in the New england states. Just my experience/feelings

And then there were three. :rolleyes:

camich
02-03-2006, 13:18

I was thinking the same thing...:rolleyes: :jump

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 13:20

Hey I'm really I.wolf too. and mowgli, and ky. In fact I'm everywhere,hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No but really there's only one Mcquest, but thats neither here no there. Sorry if I offended you, I'm just asking for stories.

khaynie
02-03-2006, 13:21
Wow... this thread is useless and of no actual help to anyone.

Bad people everywhere... north, south, middle... Good people everywhere too.

I had no problems south or north.

Pointless thread.

DavidNH
02-03-2006, 13:23
Well.. as one who is very much NOT a southerner.. (and not unhappy about that..but that's another post!)

I will agree there is good and bad everywhere.

For example..some years back there was a story about a woman being murdered near Pinkham Notch in NH. We got problems up here too!

If problems arise more in the southern portion of the trail.. that may be because there are simply more people there. I might expect problems to arise in NY more than anywhere else.. heck.. I understand there is even a train station right on the trail that can bring folks to the city...and that means it also brings folks TO the trail from the city!! talk of easy acccess!

On the Long Trail in Vermont (that's as unsouthern as it gets!) there were wonderful friendly people that I would love to be friends with. however At the northern tip going into North Troy, VT I saw the unfriendliest ! Folks put signs in there yard that said go a way! literally!

David

neo
02-03-2006, 13:49
Well don't leave us in suspense Neo. Tell us about the PA encounter.

do ya really wanna know:cool: neo

Cuffs
02-03-2006, 13:58

I second that motion!!

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 14:02

let's hear it

gargamel
02-03-2006, 14:04
Nothing wrong w/ a hillbilly; which is not to be confused w/ a redneck -- or more PC -- Appalachian American

Just for the educational purpose: could anybody please explain the difference between hillibilly and redneck.:confused:
(Not kidding, I'm an alien)

Pennsylvania Rose
02-03-2006, 14:07

You are joking, right?

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and fell in love with everything about the Southern mountains when I was on the Trail. The food, the music, the scenery, the accent, the sense of kinship and especially the people. Everything about mountain people is a dichotomy. For example, although there is a sense of mistrust of outsiders, there is incredible hospitality. Even the folks I've met who live in dirt floor shacks have room for one more when dinner (the NOON meal, btw) is served.

My ex-husband was from southeast KY, and was ashamed of his heritage because of the stereotypes he encountered when he left for college. My current husband is also from eastern KY. He's turned this city girl into a true redneck - I listen to country music and bluegrass, love clogging, have picked up an accent, and make beans and cornbread that impresses my mother-in-law. Yeah, there are some morons in his family - but no more than in my highly educated lace-curtain Irish-Catholic family.

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:09
come on, man...spill it...

neo
02-03-2006, 14:09
What problems did you have in pa?

long story but when i get time i will tale every body lol:cool: neo

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:11
I once heard a story of two girls who got their throats cut in a shelter...I think I heard it from Kirk. Was that you who told me that one, dude? If so, could you recount it for the rest of the class?

neo
02-03-2006, 14:13
You are joking, right?

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and fell in love with everything about the Southern mountains when I was on the Trail. The food, the music, the scenery, the accent, the sense of kinship and especially the people. Everything about mountain people is a dichotomy. For example, although there is a sense of mistrust of outsiders, there is incredible hospitality. Even the folks I've met who live in dirt floor shacks have room for one more when dinner (the NOON meal, btw) is served.

My ex-husband was from southeast KY, and was ashamed of his heritage because of the stereotypes he encountered when he left for college. My current husband is also from eastern KY. He's turned this city girl into a true redneck - I listen to country music and bluegrass, love clogging, have picked up an accent, and make beans and cornbread that impresses my mother-in-law. Yeah, there are some morons in his family - but no more than in my highly educated lace-curtain Irish-Catholic family.

wow thats cool a redneck yankee girl,my wife loves us tennessee hillbilly rednecks,she is from upstate newyork she loves the south and has had no problems blending in,i love your story:cool: neo

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:14
how dare you call me ky :cool: most people that know me call me kentucky even when I was a wildman I didnt make fun of peoples trail names,You can call me minister ky.
You got it, jelly...lol!

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 14:16
You are joking, right?

Yes, this is all true. I never intented to imply that southern people are bad. This is, of course, ridiculuous. The southern culture is awesome, I love country music and southern food.

I was refering to the 'dark side'. People in the north certainly have there's, but there should be special mention of the southern 'dark side'. I've heard alot of stories about hikers having problems with 'rednecks' in the south.

P.S- Easy on the Irish--Mcquest

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:17
Kirk, give us the story of the two girls who got their thraots cut....

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 14:21
I once heard a story of two girls who got their throats cut in a shelter...I think I heard it from Kirk. Was that you who told me that one, dude? If so, could you recount it for the rest of the class?

Yes, I read it in Bryson's book. It happened in Virginia. Two girls had stopped at a rest stop along the trail, they were followed and were found bound and had there throats cut. Noone was ever arrested.

Some will say virginia is north, but most will admit you don't have to go any further south than virginia

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:24
The book he is referring to is"A walk in the woods", by the way.

TrailReverend
02-03-2006, 14:38
I'm new on this forum and must say that I am shocked by how many mean spirited hikers there are. What happened to a nice a walk in the woods? I would b a bit more fearful in the South only now after reading the posts on this thread and previous threads. If the southern posters are any indication of how southerners are then there must be a lot of hate spewing from the south and people should beware. I for one have enjoyed time spent in the South. It is truly beautiful but the Southern posters on this site are not good representatives at all.

longshank
02-03-2006, 14:41
I've heard they'll cut your throat for a bag of peanuts.

Fiddler
02-03-2006, 14:43

Yes, I read it in Bryson's book. It happened in Virginia. Two girls had stopped at a rest stop along the trail, they were followed and were found bound and had there throats cut. Noone was ever arrested.

The book he is referring to is"A walk in the woods", by the way.
Hmmmm........ Something don't look right here does it?

Doppleganger
02-03-2006, 14:46
Hmmmm........ Something don't look right here does it?

No that story is true, read it myself.....'93 I think

TrailReverend
02-03-2006, 14:47
Let them try. It will be the last thing they do. Noone gets my peanuts!! You hear me? Noone!!!!!!

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 14:58
I'm new on this forum and must say that I am shocked by how many mean spirited hikers there are. What happened to a nice a walk in the woods? I would b a bit more fearful in the South only now after reading the posts on this thread and previous threads. If the southern posters are any indication of how southerners are then there must be a lot of hate spewing from the south and people should beware. I for one have enjoyed time spent in the South. It is truly beautiful but the Southern posters on this site are not good representatives at all.

Well put. This was kind of my point

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:05

You'll soon learn that there is a gang of trash on this site, that spews alot of hatred. Ignore them, they will no doubt come back and say that you and I are the same person, this is a childish attempt to discredit you. Again ignore them, they will just continue to make fools of themselves:welcome

Fiddler
02-03-2006, 15:08
No that story is true, read it myself.....'93 I think
I know it's true, I also read about it. What looks strange to me is Longshank thinks he heard the story from KirkMcquest. Then KirkMcquest makes the response about "Bryson's book". Then Longshank quotes the title of the book. All in such a short time span.

I'm just thinking about what a previous poster said:

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:13
I know it's true, I also read about it. What looks strange to me is Longshank thinks he heard the story from KirkMcquest. Then KirkMcquest makes the response about "Bryson's book". Then Longshank quotes the title of the book. All in such a short time span.

Yeah it's really suspicious that two people would converse on a thread

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:14
Yeah it's really suspicious that two people would converse on a thread
Especially two people who have been close friendsfor over 5 years.

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:15

Don't you people have anything better to think about?

neo
02-03-2006, 15:19
Don't you people have anything better to think about?

troll alert:cool: neo

Doppleganger
02-03-2006, 15:21

Gotcha. I may not know what's going on but I was accused of being kirkmcquest once. Whatever, I should be at work now

gargamel
02-03-2006, 15:21
To resolve this suspicion once and for all time: Let Attroll check their IP numbers. If it's the same, kick em. If not leave em alone. The ignore list is always an option.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:27
To resolve this suspicion once and for all time: Let Attroll check their IP numbers. If it's the same, kick em. If not leave em alone. The ignore list is always an option.

Good idea. However I would like the results of this IP to spelled out so everyone can see it. I would also like an apology and an end to this nonsense.

Tim Rich
02-03-2006, 15:34
Good idea. However I would like the results of this IP to spelled out so everyone can see it. I would also like an apology and an end to this nonsense.

Preach on, McShank...

Ender
02-03-2006, 15:36

Since we're aparently asking for things that aren't ever going to happen, I'd like a Porsche and 20 million dollars please.

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:36
Can anyone poosibly stick to the point on this thread?

Ender
02-03-2006, 15:37

Why bother. It was pointless.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:38
Preach on, McShank...

Why are you calling me names? What is your problem?

Tim Rich
02-03-2006, 15:39
Why are you calling me names? What is your problem?

All for the sake of efficiency, LongQuest.

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:40
Why bother. It was pointless.
Then don't post.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:40

Some people have tried but they have been shouted down by the name callers. I am making a plea to those who want to discuss this topic not to be intimidated. Just ignore them

QHShowoman
02-03-2006, 15:41
In 1996, Julie Williams and Lollie Winans were murdered in SNP...in short, because they were gay. That's what Bryson is referring to. Note that this happened less than 1/2 mile from Skyline Drive ...

In 1988, Rebecca Wight was killed and her partner Claudia Brenner wounded near the AT in Michaux State Forest, PA ... another hate crime.

You can read all about it here: http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/tragedy.html

shades of blue
02-03-2006, 15:42
I've heard of people swerveing their cars towards hikers as if to hit them, making them jump off the road.

This actually happened to me this past summer in NY state on the AT, just south of "nuclear lake" I forget the road. I was trying to hitch and some yuppie moved his hands and arms in a mimic to hit me....this was at the end of a really rotten day. I hated New Yorkers after that...then in Conn. I was hitching and a New Yorker picked me up...said those damn people from Conn. never picked anyone up. I guess it depends on the person...North or South.

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:42
All for the sake of efficiency, LongQuest.
If you dislike what's being discussed on this thread then don't participate, but if you insist on getting involved then at the very least try to stay on topic.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:45
In 1996, Julie Williams and Lollie Winans were murdered in SNP...in short, because they were gay. That's what Bryson is referring to. Note that this happened less than 1/2 mile from Skyline Drive ...

In 1988, Rebecca Wight was killed and her partner Claudia Brenner wounded near the AT in Michaux State Forest, PA ... another hate crime.

You can read all about it here: http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/tragedy.html

I didn't know it was because they were gay. If they never caught the murderer, how do they know the motive?

SteveJ
02-03-2006, 15:49

There are 3 or 4 new posters here that I would like to put on my ignore list. However, I don't know how. Can someone let all of us know how to officially ignore those we'd rather not see posts from?

Thanks!

Steve

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 15:51
There are 3 or 4 new posters here that I would like to put on my ignore list. However, I don't know how. Can someone let all of us know how to officially ignore those we'd rather not see posts from?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, go to the members list the instruction are all pretty simple

Tim Rich
02-03-2006, 15:52
This actually happened to me this past summer in NY state on the AT, just south of "nuclear lake" I forget the road. I was trying to hitch and some yuppie moved his hands and arms in a mimic to hit me....this was at the end of a really rotten day. I hated New Yorkers after that...then in Conn. I was hitching and a New Yorker picked me up...said those damn people from Conn. never picked anyone up. I guess it depends on the person...North or South.

Bingo. Individual experiences, individual responsibilities. Sweeping generalizations rarely apply and are often used as an alternative to thinking.

gargamel
02-03-2006, 15:53

Thanks!

Steve

1. click on username
2. chose "add to ignore list" from the menue in the green bar (upper side of window)

HTH

Tim Rich
02-03-2006, 15:54
I didn't know it was because they were gay. If they never caught the murderer, how do they know the motive?

I believe the caught the double murderer in SNP. He had previously tried to kidnap a woman on a bicycle, and had runins with a female park employee as well. I think problems with women in general.

QHShowoman
02-03-2006, 15:55

They actually did catch the murderer:

<big>Death penalty sought
in 1996 park murders </big>

<center> By Jen McCaffery
Roanoke Times
Jan. 31, 2003
</center>
<dd>Attorney General John Ashcroft authorized federal prosecutors Friday to seek the death penalty against a Maryland man charged with the 1996 hate crime killings of two hikers in Shenandoah National Park. </dd><dd>Assistant U.S. Attorney Tony Giorno said the brutality of the slayings of Julianne Marie Williams and Laura "Lollie" Winans led him to ask for permission to pursue the death penalty in the case of Darrell David Rice. </dd><dd>Williams, 24, of St. Cloud, Minn., and Winans, 26, of Unity, Maine, were found about a week after they set out on a camping trip in May 1996. Their bodies were discovered about a quarter-mile from Skyline Drive off the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah National Park, south of Luray. Their hands were bound, their mouths gagged and their throats slit. </dd><dd>Rice, 35, has been charged with two counts of capital murder for the killings and faces two additional counts of capital murder on the grounds that he intentionally selected Williams and Winans because they were female and because they were gay. He has pleaded not guilty to the slayings. He is currently serving an 11-year sentence for assaulting a female bicyclist at Shenandoah National Park in 1997. </dd><dd>One of Rice's attorneys, Frederick Heblich of Charlottesville, said he was not surprised that Ashcroft gave federal prosecutors Giorno and Tom Bondurant permission to seek the death penalty in the case. </dd><dd>"We've been preparing our defense on the assumption that it would be a death penalty case," said Heblich, who is representing Rice with Richmond attorneys Gerald Zerkin and Claire Cardwell. </dd><dd>Rice's trial is set to begin July 24 in Charlottesville. </dd>

Cuffs
02-03-2006, 15:56
Gotcha. I may not know what's going on but I was accused of being kirkmcquest once. Whatever, I should be at work now

Hmm... How could you have been accused of being McQuest once, if you just joined yesterday....?:confused:

longshank
02-03-2006, 15:59
Hmm... How could you have been accused of being McQuest once, if you just joined yesterday....?:confused:
Let's move on already, kids...

dixicritter
02-03-2006, 16:38
Ok folks, an IP address search has been done on Mr. McQuest and Mr. Longshank by SGT Rock, Attroll and Myself (yes that's three searches with the same results). They are indeed two different people as they claim. I will not however post the results of the search, y'all either take my word (which both SGT Rock and Attroll will vouch for I'm sure) or you don't.

Now as for the name calling, it is to stop now or yet another thread will be closed! Enough!

neo
02-03-2006, 16:42
Ok folks, an IP address search has been done on Mr. McQuest and Mr. Longshank by SGT Rock, Attroll and Myself (yes that's three searches with the same results). They are indeed two different people as they claim. I will not however post the results of the search, y'all either take my word (which both SGT Rock and Attroll will vouch for I'm sure) or you don't.

Now as for the name calling, it is to stop now or yet another thread will be closed! Enough!

thanks dixie critter,give the sarge my best next time ya hear from him
thanks for the great job you are doing dixiecritter:cool: neo

longshank
02-03-2006, 16:43
We appreciate the clarifiction, Dix. Thanks.

longshank
02-03-2006, 16:44
clarification

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 16:56
clarificationjust out of couriosity what would your term for the jelly part mean?:-? ky

longshank
02-03-2006, 17:06
You've never heard of KY jelly? It's used as a sexual lubricant.

longshank
02-03-2006, 17:06
It's quite popular with the kids these days, or so I've heard...

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 17:10
It's quite popular with the kids these days, or so I've heard...I will give you this longshank your a interesting spieces,how is the Bear Mt Zoo holding Up:bse .ky

longshank
02-03-2006, 17:13
I will give you this longshank your a interesting spieces,how is the Bear Mt Zoo holding Up:bse .ky
I'm not sure what you mean...?

dixicritter
02-03-2006, 17:14
:mad: COME ON NOW!! BEHAVE!!!!!

Dangit I feel like I'm having to intervene like when my CHILDREN are fighting. Y'all are giving me a headache!

Moxie00
02-03-2006, 17:52
:dance I will try to give a straight answer to this thread. In the south anyone from the north is a Yankee, in the north anyone from New England is a Yankee, in New England anyone from Maine is a Yankee, in Maine anyone from Washington County is a Yankee, and in Washington County only people from Eastport are Yankees. In Eastport- the Yankees are a crappy, lucky, overpaid baseball team from New York. I am from Maine and I think our differences are more rural-urban than North South. Several years ago my dad moved into a rural, rednek town in eastern North Carolina and was immediately accepted. It is amazing how much a person fron rural Maine and the rural south have in common. I had no problems hiking in the south and was treated like a king whereever I went. The people were wonderful, the only problem was that The Old Fhart and I were the only ones talking proper english. All them southern folks had strange accents but were wonderful to me. In Boiling Springs, Pa. I had a bunch of idiots in a car swerve at me twice as I walked into town but double didgit IQ people exist everywhere and folks in town were friendly and helpful. I found people in all 14 States I hiked through to be wonderful. You will run into troublemakers anywhere, it isn't a North-South thing. (now New York City, that may be a good subject for a thread about dangerous places.):dance :dance :dance :dance

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 18:03

Thank you for clearing that up. No more really needs to be said about it, but just so we all understand what this means, let's take a look at what we've learned;
obviuosly,
A) longshanks and I are NOT the same person

More importantly,
B) Several members of the site have collaberated to discredit us. Yes, they have attempted to perpetrate a lie upon YOU, the viewer, in an attempt to gain support for their smear campaign against longshanks and myself.
C) Right ALWAYS wins over wrong. Even when wrong is wrapped in a nicer package, even when right seems abrasive, even when more people are wrong than right.

I would like to thank those of you who have had the courage to stand with us, even when the odds were mounting. Those of you who have joined the mob, you now have egg on your faces, and shame on you

halibut15
02-03-2006, 18:25
Come on people, this is just a stupid forum. Get over it.

On a lighter note, I've never felt unsafe on the trail in the South, and as many people have already noted here, there are bad people anywhere you go. I DID, however, have a guy approach me and some backpacking buddies at the trailhead for the Chattooga River Trail on the GA/SC state line, and say, "Hey boys! You got your cold pants?? It gets cold up there at night, and it's some rough country!" Odd.

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2006, 18:26
Hey, Kirk.

A few quick comments.

Nobody's discrediting you here. Maybe one of the reasons people have gotten on your case is that just about all of your posts have been on just a few threads, such as as "Conservatism and Censorship", "Slackpackers as Legitimate Thru-Hikers," and now this thread.

I notice a few similarities in all of the threads you hang out in or start:

The tone of discussion, in terms of courtesy and civility, as well as respect for others, is pretty low. I also note a tendency to dis-regard and dis-respect the wishes of site administrators who try to elevate the level of discussion in the threads you frequent. I also note that your favorite threads tend to get shut down for perceived worthlessness.

Instead of patting yourself on the head for being better than your "critics", perhaps you should wonder whay you have so many of them. I'm sorry, but I don't think the fact that all of your favorite threads are filled with rancor, or that they get locked down, is a coincidence.

I wish you well on your upcoming hike, and I think you have something to offer here, but please forgive me for saying that while it might make you feel good to blame others at WB for your "troubles" here, I think some of the problems are of your own devising.

At the very least, when DixieC. politely requests that people straighten up and fly right, I think that's a wake-up call that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. Honestly, she's got a great deal more important stuff on her mind these days than being Kindergarten Cop on an Internet site. This is something we should ALL keep in mind, tho it seems to apply most particularly to a handful of folks.

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 18:34
Hey, Kirk.

A few quick comments.

Nobody's discrediting you here. Maybe one of the reasons people have gotten on your case is that just about all of your posts have been on just a few threads, such as as "Conservatism and Censorship", "Slackpackers as Legitimate Thru-Hikers," and now this thread.

I notice a few similarities in all of the threads you hang out in or start:

The tone of discussion, in terms of courtesy and civility, as well as respect for others, is pretty low. I also note a tendency to dis-regard and dis-respect the wishes of site administrators who try to elevate the level of discussion in the threads you frequent. I also note that your favorite threads tend to get shut down for perceived worthlessness.

Instead of patting yourself on the head for being better than your "critics", perhaps you should wonder whay you have so many of them. I'm sorry, but I don't think the fact that all of your favorite threads are filled with rancor, or that they get locked down, is a coincidence.

I wish you well on your upcoming hike, and I think you have something to offer here, but please forgive me for saying that while it might make you feel good to blame others at WB for your "troubles" here, I think some of the problems are of your own devising.

At the very least, when DixieC. politely requests that people straighten up and fly right, I think that's a wake-up call that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. Honestly, she's got a great deal more important stuff on her mind these days than being Kindergarten Cop on an Internet site. This is something we should ALL keep in mind, tho it seems to apply most particularly to a handful of folks.

I agree with most of what your saying. Yes it is time to straighten up and stop this feud. However, if you paid attention to my post you'll learn that, just because more people are disagreeing with you, that doesn't make you wrong ( as we saw). Perhaps all my threads were filled with rancor because I've been involved in this feud, that really began with people making a joke about N.Y. I then made jokes about southern people, which were'nt appreciated. It doesn't take a genius to see that most of the people here are more or less southern, so it follows that more people came against me. This really means nothing, in the future you will do well to realize that if you're right it doesn't matter how many people disagree with you.

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 18:36
How would you know?

longshank
02-03-2006, 18:50
How would you know?
why are you getting into this? You yourself stated that you have no part in this, yet you keep trying to stir things up. everyone just get back on the topics. nothing to see here.

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 18:50
Anybody notice that both McQ and LS quoted Yoda in the favorite quotes forum?

longshank
02-03-2006, 19:00
You got a problem with yoda?

longshank
02-03-2006, 19:02
Anybody notice that both McQ and LS quoted Yoda in the favorite quotes forum?
Dixie checked our IP's and concluded that we are two different people. This topic is moot. What you don't know is that the two of us have been close friends for a really long time. We hang out a couple times a week, usually.

the goat
02-03-2006, 19:18
Dixie checked our IP's and concluded that we are two different people. This topic is moot.

did you know "moot" means "debatable"?:-?

Heater
02-03-2006, 19:25
did you know "moot" means "debatable"?:-?

...or irrelevant.

Both definitions apply.

dixicritter
02-03-2006, 19:25
moot ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt)
n.
Law. A hypothetical case argued by law students as an exercise.
An ancient English meeting, especially a representative meeting of the freemen of a shire.

tr.v. moot·ed, moot·ing, moots

To bring up as a subject for discussion or debate.
To discuss or debate. See Synonyms at broach1.
Law. To plead or argue (a case) in a moot court.

adj.
Subject to debate; arguable: a moot question.

Law. Without legal significance, through having been previously decided or settled.
Of no practical importance; irrelevant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, meeting, from Old English mt, gemt.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mootness n.
Usage Note: The adjective moot is originally a legal term going back to the mid-16th century. It derives from the noun moot, in its sense of a hypothetical case argued as an exercise by law students. Consequently, a moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. But in the mid-19th century people also began to look at the hypothetical side of moot as its essential meaning, and they started to use the word to mean “of no significance or relevance.” Thus, a moot point, however debatable, is one that has no practical value. A number of critics have objected to this use, but 59 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it in the sentence The nominee himself chastised the White House for failing to do more to support him, but his concerns became moot when a number of Republicans announced that they, too, would oppose the nomination. When using moot one should be sure that the context makes clear which sense is meant.

From... http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moot

I've always heard it used in this sense of the word... "Thus, a moot point, however debatable, is one that has no practical value."

And I think Yoda is cool! :jump

gargamel
02-03-2006, 19:53
So at the end it all comes down to Luke 6:37

May this thread rest in peace :)

And I think Yoda is cool! :jump

Yeah, Yoda rocks ! :D

KirkMcquest
02-03-2006, 19:55
Just to clarify, my quote is from Lord Vader.

He also rules

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 19:57
I wasn't dis-ing Yoda......Just noting a coincedence. Not sure different IPs is the absolute proof it's cracked up to be. No offense to DC intended.

Have a nice day :)

tiamalle
02-03-2006, 20:24
Just for the educational purpose: could anybody please explain the difference between hillibilly and redneck.:confused:
(Not kidding, I'm an alien)Let me try,All opinions are different.Rednecks come from everywhere:city,country,beach,mountians,and all over the world.They are most of the time closed minded to new things and new ideas.The have no respect for other people or their opinions.They really have no goals in life.
and most have from 5th grade to 11th grade edu.but some have doctors
degree and some can't read or write.Lots are great people while others live like trash.Hillbillies are all supposing uneducated trouble makers and are from
lots of states,there again lots can read,lots are not trouble.As southerners say people are goons and hoodlems.Just because a person is from the city
this don't make them hoodlems.We have hoodlems in this small town I live in in the south and lots of good people.The fastest ways to make people mad
is politics,where they're from,religion and race.If this is the only 4 things in
life that these people can determine they are weaker minded than any of
these names listed in this post.this is a great website.Please,there are plenty more things to piss people off with.:dance :dance :dance

gargamel
02-03-2006, 20:35
Ahhhhh... finally I got my lesson :D
Your explanation is much more colorful than the one from the online dictionary.
Thank's tiamalle.

tiamalle
02-03-2006, 20:44
Ahhhhh... finally I got my lesson :D
Your explanation is much more colorful than the one from the online dictionary.
Thank's tiamalle.Good deal.I like that symbol

dizzyT
02-03-2006, 20:59
A good example of hillbillies can be seen in a documentary done by Rory Kennedy called American Hollow. Hillbillies rarely leave the hills. Redneck usually refers to southerners whose values haven't evolved much (for good and bad) over the last 100 years

Heater
02-03-2006, 21:04
I think that Hillbilly is a way of life and redneck is more like a state of mind.

kyhipo
02-03-2006, 21:42
I enjoyed the term moot nice term, believe I will tell my hillbilly friends back at the farm what moot means then we can debate it for a few hrs and life will go on!I was told when i was down in florida anyone north of jasksonville was a yankee:D ky, lots of tales in those pepper trees

SteveJ
02-04-2006, 02:05
(Not kidding, I'm an alien)

Ok, gargamel. I'll jump in here.

About 100 yrs ago, the majority of those who lived in this country were farmers on small family farms. The farms were scattered all over the country - throughout the south - and the rest of the country.

Therefore, most of those living on those farms were farmers. They worked in the fields, using mostly muscle power - if they were lucky they had a mule or two to help. They generally wore white t-shirts to work in.

Guess what? Working in the fields caused sunburn - especially on the back of the neck and the arms. These folks worked hard during the week. On the weekends they'd go to the local small town looking for fun/excitement/chicks. The local townfolk derisively referred to these folks as "rednecks."

Hillbillies were something different. They lived in the mountains. While they might have a small farm, they also survived off hunting in the hills. They very seldom left the mountains.

The term 'redneck' has evolved from it's original meaning. It now seems to refer to anyone from a small town who is unsophisticated, relatively uneducated, and almost always blue collar.

Are you enlightened now? :D

Steve (from a long line of rednecks - one generation removed from a small family farm....)

KirkMcquest
02-04-2006, 02:40
In layman's term's, a redneck is an unsophisticated, ignorant, and hateful person, while a 'hillbilly' has some redeeming qualities

Nearly Normal
02-05-2006, 01:29
In layman's term's, a redneck is an unsophisticated, ignorant, and hateful person, while a 'hillbilly' has some redeeming qualities

Please provide source information.

pete

freefall
02-05-2006, 01:39

Let me see. I have a degree, a good paying job, know how to use silverware, say please and thank-you, have plenty of friends AND I still consider myself to have a redneck attitude......

And who the heck is layman anyway? Are they a memeber here?:D

longshank
02-05-2006, 16:01
Please provide source information.

pete
He cannot, for he has been gagged by the moderators.

Heater
02-05-2006, 17:04
He cannot, for he has been gagged by the moderators.

I thought you were going to "let it rest", troll.

Inn Keeper
02-05-2006, 17:18
A good example of hillbillies can be seen in a documentary done by Rory Kennedy called American Hollow. Hillbillies rarely leave the hills. Redneck usually refers to southerners whose values haven't evolved much (for good and bad) over the last 100 yearsRory Kennedy is from new york also she was the one who started firecracker films.Don't pay
no attention to film makers they're all stupid.All they can do is act, reality
nothing but dumb,only act.

DavidNH
02-05-2006, 17:33
:dance I will try to give a straight answer to this thread. In the south anyone from the north is a Yankee, in the north anyone from New England is a Yankee, in New England anyone from Maine is a Yankee, in Maine anyone from Washington County is a Yankee, and in Washington County only people from Eastport are Yankees. In Eastport- the Yankees are a crappy, lucky, overpaid baseball team from New York. I am from Maine and I think our differences are more rural-urban than North South. Several years ago my dad moved into a rural, rednek town in eastern North Carolina and was immediately accepted. It is amazing how much a person fron rural Maine and the rural south have in common. I had no problems hiking in the south and was treated like a king whereever I went. The people were wonderful, the only problem was that The Old Fhart and I were the only ones talking proper english. All them southern folks had strange accents but were wonderful to me. In Boiling Springs, Pa. I had a bunch of idiots in a car swerve at me twice as I walked into town but double didgit IQ people exist everywhere and folks in town were friendly and helpful. I found people in all 14 States I hiked through to be wonderful. You will run into troublemakers anywhere, it isn't a North-South thing. (now New York City, that may be a good subject for a thread about dangerous places.):dance :dance :dance :dance

Moxieo00 WOW! You right on in terms of what a Yankee is. To my mind..Yankee refers to Mainers..or to those devils who play Baseball in NYC (up here..it can be dangerours to be anything but a Redsox fan!). Very hard to envision someone from NJ or Pennsylvania as a Yankee!

longshank
02-05-2006, 19:56
I thought you were going to "let it rest", troll.
It's the truth, that's all...I'm not attacking or defending anyone.

Big Oz
02-05-2006, 20:06
It's the truth, that's all...I'm not attacking or defending anyone.shut up stupid:bse

Heater
02-06-2006, 01:29
It's the truth, that's all...I'm not attacking or defending anyone.

No. You are attacking the admin staff. Are they not "someone"?

longshank
02-06-2006, 13:45
No. You are attacking the admin staff. Are they not "someone"?
I'm not attacking them. mcquest was gagged. That's what happened. Ask them yourself.

dixicritter
02-06-2006, 14:05
No one is "gagged" as you put it. Move on.

Singe03
02-06-2006, 14:22
Just wanted to point out, two different IP addresses does not necessarily mean two individuals are responsible for the posting, it simply means two different internet connections are being used.

I have a cable modem though Time Warner and a dialup account though PDQ.net, I could easily post as two different "people". I could also accomplish this by using the remote control option in Windows XP, or a remote control program such as pcAnywhere, to control my work computer from home or vice versa. The postings, typed on the same computer, one though my normal browser, one though a browser run on the remote computer, would appear as seperate IPs (and to be from seperate locations on a tracert).

I do not know if they are the same person, I do not care really, but IP traces prove very little.

MOWGLI
02-06-2006, 14:37
I do not know if they are the same person, I do not care really, but IP traces prove very little.

I started to post this the other day, but ended up deleting the entry. I use a cable modem on my home account, and a different ISP through my laptop which uses dial-up. I often have both computers logged on at home.

I'd be interested to see some photos from our resident gadflys. Maybe we can get a shot of them fending off porcupines with their light sabres. :jump

Until then, I'll remain a skeptic.

Almost There
02-06-2006, 14:50
I completely agree, IPs mean absolutely nothing today. Heck I have some computer geek friends who have networks set up in their houses with 3 or 4 computers...that could mean...3 or 4 alternate personalities.

Stoker53
02-06-2006, 15:06
This whole thread would make a great Monty Python sketch.

gargamel
02-06-2006, 15:17
This whole thread would make a great Monty Python sketch.

Apparently it's similarly entertaining as it's under the current top 5 with posts and views.

Singe03
02-06-2006, 16:19
I completely agree, IPs mean absolutely nothing today. Heck I have some computer geek friends who have networks set up in their houses with 3 or 4 computers...that could mean...3 or 4 alternate personalities.

This is where an IP trace would prove effective, most home networks only have one external IP address, all traffic from the entire home network goes through that external IP. The internal addresses are really irrelevant to the internet as a whole as they exist only on the "home" side of the router.

dizzyT
02-06-2006, 16:34
It is obvious it is one guy.......filled with lonliness for two.

then again maybe it is two guys who have become one.....

dixicritter
02-06-2006, 16:38
This is where an IP trace would prove effective, most home networks only have one external IP address, all traffic from the entire home network goes through that external IP. The internal addresses are really irrelevant to the internet as a whole as they exist only on the "home" side of the router.

Not necessarily true. Sgt Rock and I are on a LAN using a router and each have different IP addresses recorded here on WB. Grant it they are only one number different but they are different.

I am aware that IP address searches don't prove anything folks. Also aware that different ISP's don't prove anything either. However, this is getting to be really old.

If someone (and by that I mean anyone) on this site wants to be two different "people" or personalities then so be it. I have enough trouble keeping track of one personally and don't see what's gained by all this other than to cause trouble.

Yes there are ways to mask your IP address, yes there are ways to mask what ISP you use, and yes it isn't seen as socially acceptable in most circles. However, it happens all over the internet, and for some people it seems to be their source of entertainment to cause these types of problems on a site. We all play into their hands by responding, getting upset, and slinging "mud" back and forth. ~shrugs~ I'm so over it, and will not play along anymore!

**Disclaimer: By my statements above I am NOT trying to single ANYONE out as having done the things I've mentioned in any way, shape, or form. Just posting my personal feelings on the matter. ~ end disclaimer**

Almost There
02-06-2006, 18:36
Dixie,

I think we all agree that you and Sarge have done a wonderful job here, and that you do your best to make it a great site. I think people were more or less complaining about how pathetic it is that someone might possibly be trolling as two separate identities. I find it annoying, but you're right, it does happen all over the place, so although annoying it is not worse getting worked up like a gorilla beating his chest.

saimyoji
02-06-2006, 18:38
Tail from the south:

Some damn cop in NC thought it would be fun to follow and harass me (perhaps because I had PA plates?) on I-95 one morning. Don't these guys have anything better to do? I had to go back down there to tell the judge about this rogue cop gone wild. Apparently its not okay to drive 100mph down there. Go figure.

mdionne
02-06-2006, 19:09
not that this is anywhere near the trail but...i got pulled over with maine plates in a small town called guymen, oklahoma for going 30mph in a 35mph zone. then after making me get out of the car to wait for him to write my warning he asked to search it for anthrax, weapons, and drugs.:rolleyes: i thought "this guy is crazy", but i complied thinking i might get my ass beat (not because i was in the south, but because i hear of it on the news a lot). but instead of searching it he called dogs in (that he had conveniently waiting around the corner). alas the whole ordeal took about an hour and i was allowed to go on my way.

dizzyT
02-06-2006, 19:14
Tons of drug traffic through Oklahoma. They do this alot with out of state plates. I get stopped there all the time. Happens alot in Tennessee too.

mdionne
02-06-2006, 19:21
Tons of drug traffic through Oklahoma. They do this alot with out of state plates. I get stopped there all the time. Happens alot in Tennessee too.

huh, and you're from texas. do you get seached too?

dizzyT
02-06-2006, 19:27
I have been searched on occassion. Usually it is just alot of questions. In Tennessee they actually took the seats out of my car. They didn't put them back either.

MOWGLI
02-06-2006, 19:29
Having spent my first 41 years in New York and the last three in Tennessee, I suppose I could tell a few "tales from the south."

The people here are pretty much like the people you find anywhere else. Religion tends to creep more into daily life than it does up north. People down here generally aren't in quite the hurry that they are in the NE.

People here respond to folks according to how they are treated (surprise-surprise). When I thru-hiked, "Yes Sir" and "No Ma'am" were regular parts of my vocabulary. I treated the various service providers along the trail with respect, and I was afforded the same courtesy. Some of the kids I hiked with didn't exhibit similar manners, and were treated accordingly.

On another note, every once in a while I run into a local who will talk to me for several minutes, and I won't understand a word that they said. Sometimes there's a cheek full of tobacco that adds to the accent and exacerbates the situation. When it happens I just kinda laugh.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

mdionne
02-06-2006, 19:30
did this happen to you a lot prior to september 11, 2001?:-?

dizzyT
02-06-2006, 19:35
Yeah....Texas plates are the worst though. Cops assume with our large population and large border with Mexico that we are all moving drugs or illeagals. That and the totally misunderstood "Don't mess with Texas" litter campaign get us pulled over pretty often

gargamel
02-06-2006, 19:39
On another note, every once in a while I run into a local who will talk to me for several minutes, and I won't understand a word that they said. Sometimes there's a cheek full of tobacco that adds to the accent and exacerbates the situation. When it happens I just kinda laugh.

As I'm a non native speaker I feared to be the only one having problems to understand the locals. Good to know that this problem is not limited to aliens. :)

mdionne
02-06-2006, 19:40
:rolleyes: that's pretty lame...i'm avoiding those states like the plague from now on!:)

tsali
02-06-2006, 19:41
I grew up in the county where "Deliverance" was filmed and i can asure you that there are some strange people down there but they are not at all how the movie makes them out to be. I have lived in NY for the last three years and I have run into more sketchy people up here than down there. for those of you that don't know, that movie was filmed in rabun county Ga only about ten miles from the trail at Plumb orchard. There is a guy that owns some land in the plumb orchard area that does not like people on his property but if you are on the trail you will not have any problems. If you do just tell them you are my friend, Dustin Mentzer, Although i can not promise mentioning my name will help any. But i do know most of the locals in that area.

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 19:43
Maybe we can get a shot of them fending off porcupines with their light sabres. :jump
Until then, I'll remain a skeptic.

Now that's a seriously funny mental image! Thanks Mowgli; made my day!

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 20:51
Now that's a seriously funny mental image! Thanks Mowgli; made my day!

For people who don;t like these two, you are all doing a great job at continuing the mudslinging, provoking etc. This thread is getting so much attention for a thread so many had a problem with.

but donlt listen to me, maybe I'm one of them too, maybe all the scary posters are the same master poster. Maybe it's the Matrix. Are y'all unplugged yet?

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 20:58
Sorry, there's only one Mcquest. And now that I know you all love me so much, I'm staying forever

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 21:01
For people who don;t like these two, you are all doing a great job at continuing the mudslinging, provoking etc. This thread is getting so much attention for a thread so many had a problem with.

but donlt listen to me, maybe I'm one of them too, maybe all the scary posters are the same master poster. Maybe it's the Matrix. Are y'all unplugged yet?

Sigh... Fending off a porcupine with a light sabre; think about it a minute...funny isn't it?

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 21:11
Not really, I've heard funnier like the irony in your Einstein quote and thinking about the posts provoking them and then complaining about them when they post.

On a hiking subject ( not that manners and appropriate behavior isn't a hiking subject, of course) I heard the Smokey Mountain section is the toughest part of the AT, any experiences?

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 21:23
Not really, I've heard funnier like the irony in your Einstein quote and thinking about the posts provoking them and then complaining about them when they post.

On a hiking subject ( not that manners and appropriate behavior isn't a hiking subject, of course) I heard the Smokey Mountain section is the toughest part of the AT, any experiences?

Don't know never been. Are you the same trailreverend that saved that kid in P.A, then gave a fire and brimstone outdoor sermon to the gathering crowd??

shades of blue
02-06-2006, 21:25
Reverend...
Why would anyone think the Smokys were the toughest part of the AT when you live in NH.....compared with Maine the toughest state on the AT? Also...as a "reverend" have you read the various hate filled statements by these "two" interrogaters (as a favorite of this site would put it). I don't know...seems kinda odd to me...but then, I am from the south....an hour and a half from the Smokys... NH and Maine were very tough...and the Smokys were a piece of cake.:confused:

Pennsylvania Rose
02-06-2006, 21:30
On another note, every once in a while I run into a local who will talk to me for several minutes, and I won't understand a word that they said.

It took two years before I could understand everything my mother-in-law (from Harlan Co, KY) said.

Once you get to the ridgetop, the Smokies are pretty easy - graded and well maintained, except where horses have turned it into the Appalachian Trough.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 21:39
Shades....Thank you for your AT feedback. I haven't done the Smoky Section yet so I was wondering. I don't know if my question was truley odd or bewildering ( as you think), I was attempting to get feedback before I plan my big adventure.

Also: I have read the other threads/posts and if you read them in sucession, it is obvious that they were provoked first by other posters who inferred that the 2 so-called interrogators were not knowledgable because they were from NY and that was followed by anti-New York posts by Southern posters. Yes, as a Reverend ( so-called in quotes ) I am fair and look at all the evidence. There was such an immediate hate filled response by the Southern posters when they found out that they were from NY, whereas, longshank/mcquest were provoked even long after they stopped posting, the provocation continued. So that is my "sermon"

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 21:39
Reverend...
Why would anyone think the Smokys were the toughest part of the AT when you live in NH.....compared with Maine the toughest state on the AT? Also...as a "reverend" have you read the various hate filled statements by these "two" interrogaters (as a favorite of this site would put it). I don't know...seems kinda odd to me...but then, I am from the south....an hour and a half from the Smokys... NH and Maine were very tough...and the Smokys were a piece of cake.:confused:

Your fear has turned to anger, which in turn leads to hatred. Seek harmony:)

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 21:45
Shades....Thank you for your AT feedback. I haven't done the Smoky Section yet so I was wondering. I don't know if my question was truley odd or bewildering ( as you think), I was attempting to get feedback before I plan my big adventure.

Also: I have read the other threads/posts and if you read them in sucession, it is obvious that they were provoked first by other posters who inferred that the 2 so-called interrogators were not knowledgable because they were from NY and that was followed by anti-New York posts by Southern posters. Yes, as a Reverend ( so-called in quotes ) I am fair and look at all the evidence. There was such an immediate hate filled response by the Southern posters when they found out that they were from NY, whereas, longshank/mcquest were provoked even long after they stopped posting, the provocation continued. So that is my "sermon"

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have no desire to rehash any old beefs, but I'm so glad some one out there is fair minded and unbiased.

When socrates was going to death, he was asked to recant his political position. ' don't you care what everyone thinks of you?' he was asked. ' What 'most' people think is not what matters. It's what the few people who know the truth think, that's what matters'.:-?

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 21:45
MsQuest, I am not the same Reverend from PA but I have given outdoor sermons in Glacier National Park in Montana.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 21:47
Pennsylvania....thanks for the information, did you take an alternate route or did you brave the trough?

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 21:55
MsQuest, I am not the same Reverend from PA but I have given outdoor sermons in Glacier National Park in Montana.

When are you planning your thru-hike?

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 21:58
I was going to check out the Smokys in May. Is that a good time?

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:00

A little late for me but anytime is the right time. Going in '06?

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:05
Yes, God-willing, this year, 2006. I've been to Smokys before but not the AT. I spent time in Smoky Mountain National Park, Knoxvile, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge. I had a great time and thought I'd return for my AT experience. One day I will hike it all.

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 22:07

Let me 'splain: I wasn't "complaining" about anybody's post. Rather, I was telling Mowgli that what he observed and wrote gave me a giggle. Too little of that these days, IMO.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:10
oh ok gotcha now skid, funny but provoking nonetheless. thanks for the splaination

mweinstone
02-06-2006, 22:14
im going to tell you something . and when i am done telling you somthing,there will be no further need to tell you anything.you will have allready been told.do you understand? listen to me now my friend.you my friend,and your thread my friend,including the ship you rode in on my friend. are no longer my friend.your discusting and so is your post. no need for exsplaining. your done .go home. dont leme catch youz around heas no mos.

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:16
im going to tell you something . and when i am done telling you somthing,there will be no further need to tell you anything.you will have allready been told.do you understand? listen to me now my friend.you my friend,and your thread my friend,including the ship you rode in on my friend. are no longer my friend.your discusting and so is your post. no need for exsplaining. your done .go home. dont leme catch youz around heas no mos.

ay, weinstone.......fugettaboutit

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:20

Are these the type of people on the AT?

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:22
Are these the type of people on the AT?

These are the ones that can read and own computers, you don't wanna know the others
:jump

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:23
That was a joke. Just a joke, don't all get crazy again.

mweinstone
02-06-2006, 22:28
he is dammit! get his leachy self off our blazing site.vote now!you guys are right. lone wolf! atack! get im! lone wolf would you kill him like hannable lecter did that guy in the next sell just by talking? please? pretty please? im scared!this guy could be dangerous !lol

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:32
he is dammit! get his leachy self off our blazing site.vote now!you guys are right. lone wolf! atack! get im! lone wolf would you kill him like hannable lecter did that guy in the next sell just by talking? please? pretty please? im scared!this guy could be dangerous !lol

Take it easy whine-stone. Noones gonna hurt you.:D

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:32
poor poor whinestone. there there it will be better in the morning, unplug yourself and get a good night's rest. A little praying wouldn't hurt either.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:36
Captain Kirk a predator? He was always a fine, although unorthodox, charismatic member of Starfleet. I guess Klingons would say he was a predator.

Big Oz
02-06-2006, 22:38
I grew up in the county where "Deliverance" was filmed and i can asure you that there are some strange people down there but they are not at all how the movie makes them out to be. I have lived in NY for the last three years and I have run into more sketchy people up here than down there. for those of you that don't know, that movie was filmed in rabun county Ga only about ten miles from the trail at Plumb orchard. There is a guy that owns some land in the plumb orchard area that does not like people on his property but if you are on the trail you will not have any problems. If you do just tell them you are my friend, Dustin Mentzer, Although i can not promise mentioning my name will help any. But i do know most of the locals in that area. Rabun County,Ga in persimon there
is a total eclipse of the moon might near every night"when the moon comes over the hills in gallon jugs and disappears right before thy very eye.

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:39
Its just depends on your point of view, hero, god, predator? whats the dif

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 22:47
Its just depends on your point of view, hero, god, predator? whats the dif

Surely you have something to say about this post TrailReverend?

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 22:50
not really.

Stoker53
02-06-2006, 22:51
That was a joke. Just a joke, don't all get crazy again.

No matter. You and LS have dun dug yourselves in a deep dank hole and , although I have enjoyed the recent BB Wars and hold neither of you ill will, your last 2 posts have probably made your stay here an ugly one.

I also think that you and LS intentionally stir stuff up for personal ammusement. I also think that some WB folks' responses have been over the top as well. Such behavior is not uncommon in the internet BB comunity.

If you and LS intend to add value to this forum, and perhaps make a friend or two, you have a hard row to hoe.

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 22:59
No matter. You and LS have dun dug yourselves in a deep dank hole and , although I have enjoyed the recent BB Wars and hold neither of you ill will, your last 2 posts have probably made your stay here an ugly one.

I also think that you and LS intentionally stir stuff up for personal ammusement.

What last two posts? I think you mean my last two threads? Well that may be true, but they were provoked by some ugly words from some others. I'm not going into it again, just check the posts ( ALL, not just the ones that reaffirm your presumptions) and believe what you want.

And sometimes I DO have fun, so do the others, dizzyt, mowgli, frosty, wolf, austex and the rest. Big deal

shades of blue
02-06-2006, 23:06
I would do early May if that is a possiblity. Once the summer heat comes in...it will be all "smoky" so to speak. I hiked through in early June and had views only one day. I've hit in spring and fall and it can be beautiful.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 23:11
Thanks Shades, I am there!!!

Sirrahd
02-06-2006, 23:14
For the three of you.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/multiple_personality_disorder.jsp

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 23:21
For the three of you.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/multiple_personality_disorder.jsp

Since you only have seven posts, but a very strong opinion, that site might do you more good than me. Now watch the dancing banana:banana

Sirrahd
02-06-2006, 23:29
Since you only have seven posts, but a very strong opinion, that site might do you more good than me. Now watch the dancing banana:banana

What would the amount of posts and my observation/opinion have in common?:-?

How do you like these bananas?:banana :banana

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 23:37
What would the amount of posts and my observation/opinion have in common?:-?

How do you like these bananas?:banana :banana

Your obviously the alter ego of one of the losers on this site, or you wouldn't be accusing me of being one of the other posters.:-?

And I DON'T like those banana's. Or the skeptical face above them.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 23:45
For the three of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theorists

Sirrahd
02-06-2006, 23:45
Your obviously the alter ego of one of the losers on this site, or you wouldn't be accusing me of being one of the other posters.:-?

And I DON'T like those banana's. Or the skeptical face above them.

You firgured me out :datz

:banana :banana :banana

KirkMcquest
02-06-2006, 23:48
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theorists

We've got a few

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 23:56
Once you get to the ridgetop, the Smokies are pretty easy - graded and well maintained, except where horses have turned it into the Appalachian Trough.[/quote]

Rosie, did you take an alternate route or did you brave the trough? Should this area be a concern? If so, do you remember where it was/is? Thanks TS

dixicritter
02-07-2006, 00:05
This thread is turning into a bigger mess than the last one that I ended up closing for all the bickering. What about that truce folks? Enough with the name calling, mud slinging, and such already. It's childish and uncalled for. If this thread goes any further along this vain I will be forced to close it down. You ALL have been warned!

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 00:11
Sorry. I still believe in the truce, but I thought we were really just kidding around. No hard feelings on my end

Heater
02-07-2006, 01:06
Apparently it's similarly entertaining as it's under the current top 5 with posts and views.

Yes. It has been a pretty successful troll thus far. ;)

Pennsylvania Rose
02-07-2006, 11:22
Rosie, did you take an alternate route or did you brave the trough? Should this area be a concern? If so, do you remember where it was/is? Thanks TS

The AT pretty much is the route through the Smokies. There aren't any trails that parallel the AT. There are just some sections where the trail bed is worn down a foot or two below the sides of the trail. Seems like the worst is through the balds (Spence field, Siler's Bald I think). The footing can be sketchy, but not as bad as rock-hopping in PA. Don't be discouraged, it's not really anything to worry about. It was just a running joke I have with some friends. Besides, GSMNP is one of my favorite places in the world. I live pretty close and go there twice a year if I can.

PS The bickering, while amusing for a while, is really getting old, especially since it seems to happen in every third thread.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 11:30
Thanks !!!

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 11:59
The AT pretty much is the route through the Smokies. There aren't any trails that parallel the AT.

Actually, the Benton MacKaye Trail (http://www.bmta.org/)will take you all the way through the Smokies. Between Little Shuckstack and Davenport Gap, the BMT parallels the AT to the east in the North Carolina section of the park. It is a tougher trail than the AT as it is both longer and has more elevation gain & loss. There are also next to no shelters on the trail, so hikers have to camp most of the way. For those that like to avoid shelters, the BMT is a great alternative to the AT.

And yes, the bickering is getting old. There is a lesson to be learned here. It's something I tell my kids all the time. First impressions are lasting. That applies all the way around.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 12:04
Thanks for answering my questions folks. Can we post without mentioning the bickering? ooops, I guess I couldn't either MO

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 12:10
I don't have children yet, but there are a few lessons I would like to pass on:

1. Don't let anyone get away with making fun of who you are/where your from
2. Don't be hateful

3. Don't join in with the crowd, you may end up losing someone elses battle

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 12:37
Let's get back on topic, which is about the south. The reason this thread was created was to expose the division that still exists between the north and south. All the bickering and ugliness only proves my point all the more. It has been my experience that the south harbors some ill feelings toward the north, especially New York. I have personally experienced these feelings, even here on whiteblaze. There is a country song I just heard, one of the lyrics are 'send me to hell or new york city, it'd be about the same to me'. I simply don't hear people in new york making songs that blast the south. If I'm wrong please tell me. My point in making the thread was to find out if these hatreds are something that a northerner/New Yorker should be concerned about when thru-hiking through these area's.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 12:41
You're just trying to stir up more s**t. Go away.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 12:45
You're just trying to stir up more s**t. Go away.

Not true. I'm on topic with the thread, and furthermore I will not respond to bickering/name calling. I'm asking for this topic to be discussed MATURELY:sun

kyhipo
02-07-2006, 12:48
If one conducts himself well he will be well anywhere! believe me kirk,I learned the old school way,people are people anywhere good,bad,Now If you go into a society thinking that people are ignorant thats what you will see!have a open mind the south is different but the north has vary many different aspects to their ways also,when in Rome act like the Romans.ky

Gray Blazer
02-07-2006, 12:49
:confused:Where is Neil Young from?:confused:

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 12:49
If he goes away, what else would y'all post. Y'all appear more times on McQuest's threads than any other thread. Human nature is truley astonishing. If you click and read the other threads you can coulnt on your hands how many times all of you including McQuest and myslef I guess have posted but if you look at this thread everyone has somethong to say. I guess we've run out of things to say about bad trail hygeine and freeze dried casseroles. This thread has recieved so much attention. I love how the people who say "go away" are the very ones who cannot resist clicking the thread, reading it through and chiming in. How odd yet fascinating.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 12:50
[QUOTE=Bear Bait II]:confused:Where is Neil Young from?:confused:[/Q
He's from Canada.

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 12:56
Let's get back on topic, which is about the south. The reason this thread was created was to expose the division that still exists between the north and south.

I'm from New York and have been living here in Tennessee for 3 years, and I'm here to tell you that this is much ado about nothing. Most New Yorkers who talk smack about the south have never spent any significant time here with the people. Most southerners who disparage New York have never set foot in the city. That's called ignorance, and there is no shortage of it anywhere in America.

Gray Blazer
02-07-2006, 12:57
:cool: I guess if Ol' Neil can sing about us than anyone can.:cool:

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:00
:confused:Where is Neil Young from?:confused:

Hate to burst people's bubble, but the boys in Lynyrd Skynyrd were/are big fans of Neil Young. How do I know? I just finished his 740 page biography called Shakey. What a great read!

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:03
If he goes away, what else would y'all post. Y'all appear more times on McQuest's threads than any other thread. Human nature is truley astonishing. If you click and read the other threads you can coulnt on your hands how many times all of you including McQuest and myslef I guess have posted but if you look at this thread everyone has somethong to say. I guess we've run out of things to say about bad trail hygeine and freeze dried casseroles. This thread has recieved so much attention. I love how the people who say "go away" are the very ones who cannot resist clicking the thread, reading it through and chiming in. How odd yet fascinating.

Everyone will admit to being drawn to a controversial subject. It gets under people' skin and it's difficult to discuss without emotions getting in the way

Tim Rich
02-07-2006, 13:05
Hate to burst people's bubble, but the boys in Lynyrd Skynyrd were/are big fans of Neil Young. How do I know? I just finished his 740 page biography called Shakey. What a great read!

And if I remember correctly, Young sang Sweet Home Alabama in honor of LS after the crash.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:06
I'm from New York and have been living here in Tennessee for 3 years, and I'm here to tell you that this is much ado about nothing. Most New Yorkers who talk smack about the south have never spent any significant time here with the people. Most southerners who disparage New York have never set foot in the city. That's called ignorance, and there is no shortage of it anywhere in America.

I do agree with you that there are bad/good people everywhere but you cannot den that in the South there exists a strong element of "the south will rise again" that is coupled with anti-North sentiments. The State flag of Missississippi still to this day has a confederate fkag in the corner, I contstant reminder to those who suffered in slavery.

Often people from the South bash New YOrk--they say how sketxhy or dangerous it is or how rude it is. Remarkably for a place will so many people of diverse backgrounds living in close prroximity it it quite harmonious. And as for rudeness, most of the so-called rude people in New York are not from New York, they are transplants from other places like the South.

Due to the political debates in this country, it is sad to say but I feel disconnected more than ever from the rest of the country. I live in NH now for school but am from NYC and I am a New Yorker first and an American second. People come to New York and are instantly surrounded by people but they still keep coming. New Yorkers vist the South for its natural beauty not the people.

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:07
And if I remember correctly, Young sang Sweet Home Alabama in honor of LS after the crash.

You do remember correctly. Read the book if you haven't already. I give it five *****'s.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:07

All true, there's plenty of ignorance here in NY, you need just ride the subway to see that!

Even so, isn't there some special type of dislike in the south toward New Yorkers? Come on, I know it hurts, but let's be honest here.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-07-2006, 13:08
Actually, the Benton MacKaye Trail (http://www.bmta.org/)will take you all the way through the Smokies. Between Little Shuckstack and Davenport Gap, the BMT parallels the AT to the east in the North Carolina section of the park.

True. I just meant that there really aren't any trails that would be easy to use to bypass a couple of miles where the AT is particulary worn. There isn't anything like the bypass you can take around Mt. Albert, for example.

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:10
New Yorkers vist the South for its natural beauty not the people.

I disagree. That's a sweeping generalization.

the goat
02-07-2006, 13:11
most of the so-called rude people in New York are not from New York, they are transplants from other places like the South.

i agree with you that the "NYC rudeness" is a vast generalization and ill-founded. i've got tons of friens in nyc & i go there often.

but that said, isn't your above comment a bit rediculous?

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:12
I do agree with you that there are bad/good people everywhere but you cannot den that in the South there exists a strong element of "the south will rise again" that is coupled with anti-North sentiments. The State flag of Missississippi still to this day has a confederate fkag in the corner, I contstant reminder to those who suffered in slavery.

Often people from the South bash New YOrk--they say how sketxhy or dangerous it is or how rude it is. Remarkably for a place will so many people of diverse backgrounds living in close prroximity it it quite harmonious. And as for rudeness, most of the so-called rude people in New York are not from New York, they are transplants from other places like the South.

Due to the political debates in this country, it is sad to say but I feel disconnected more than ever from the rest of the country. I live in NH now for school but am from NYC and I am a New Yorker first and an American second. People come to New York and are instantly surrounded by people but they still keep coming. New Yorkers vist the South for its natural beauty not the people.

Rev., let's tell the truth so they all can understand. Have you experienced personally the anti-new york sentiment from the south?

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:30
Rev., let's tell the truth so they all can understand. Have you experienced personally the anti-new york sentiment from the south?

Maybe the "truth" is a reaction to you personally. I'm serious about that. The "truth" can be very subjective.

Dude, I'm more of a New Yorker than you (having spent 41 years living there) and you characterized me as a banjo playing, moonshine drinking hayseed with a retarded brother. And you wonder about why some people would not like people from New York? :-?

I don't say that to rile you up. I'm making a point. I would theorize that comments like that only serve to foment division and perpetuate stereotypes.
So why don't we all dispense with that kind of rhetoric - starting immediately. :clap

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:33
i agree with you that the "NYC rudeness" is a vast generalization and ill-founded. i've got tons of friens in nyc & i go there often.

but that said, isn't your above comment a bit rediculous?

Why is it ridiculous, goat, you responded and agreed in part. Are your friends native New Yorkers?

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:34
Maybe the "truth" is a reaction to you personally. I'm serious about that. The "truth" can be very subjective.

Dude, I'm more of a New Yorker than you (having spent 41 years living there) and you characterized me as a banjo playing, moonshine drinking hayseed with a retarded brother. And you wonder about why some people would not like people from New York? :-?

I don't say that to rile you up. I'm making a point. I would theorize that comments like that only serve to foment division and perpetuate stereotypes.
So why don't we all dispense with that kind of rhetoric - starting immediately. :clap

Where in New York are you from?

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:40

I could respond by reminding you that that post was provoked by a page long poem from frosty about me being a new york yuppie. Instead I'll agree that we must dispense with that type of rhetoric.:)

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:41

Further more...Yes I haven't been targeted directly in any horribly dangerous way although there are always little comments here and there even though I conduct myself with manners and respect 4 people. And if you happen to overhear people talking about NY and they dont know you are from there, watch out---they are very hateful, not to mention a huge amount of anti black, anti-gay, anti-anyone but Southern White, sentiment that is spoken when they don't know if you are one of those groups. As if any self respecting human would not be offended by predjudice comments even if they do not belong to the group. ANd I know you will all say that I am being predjudice with this post but I am just describing my experience in the Southen States. I travel enoug to kill a cow and have been all over the South. I like the history, the food, and the nature but for the most part I see many of the people as a case study of some exotic place so unlike me and my feelings for it are similiar to how I feel when I go to foreign countries.

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 13:45
I think the whole North /South thing has more to do with urban vs rural rather than one area of the country vs another area. You will find the same tensions/mistrust when city folks from Atlanta/Charlotte/Miami venture into the mountains of TN/GA/NC.

To many of my west NC realtives Yankee is just another term for city slicker.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:46
in contrast, New York welcomes everyone.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:47
They've written songs about how much they hate us for god-sake

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:49
Where in New York are you from?

I grew up in Rockland County (New City) but my dad had a place on East 56th Street. I spent weekends at my family's cabin on Greenwood Lake. My grandfather worked in the NY Telephone building at 140 West Street from the 1920s into the 50s. That's the Art Deco building that the #7 WTC fell on. My father worked for years at the phone company building on Pearl Street - right next to the Brooklyn Bridge. In fact, in the 1600s, my family owned the land that Trinity Church is located on, so my roots go way back. I lived my last 16 years in the state in Warwick - 10 minutes from 5 different AT trailheads.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 13:52
I know the anti-new york song, it was popular on the country chats, not just in rural areas. I even once overheard Southerners say that New York deserves terrorism. And then the Southern politicians pressured congress 4 their share of the anti-terrorism dollars ( as if terrorists are coming to the South) The money was then squandered by these States by buying trikes and other off road toys 4 their policemen's amusement.

MOWGLI
02-07-2006, 13:53
in contrast, New York welcomes everyone.

Please. Spare me. What do New Yorkers say about gawking tourists who clog up the busy sidewalks? :rolleyes: And what do they say about rednecks? :-? Like I said, ignorance is everywhere.

Lunch is over. Back to work.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 13:56
Longshanks has been replaced by the Rev.

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 13:57
I know the anti-new york song, it was popular on the country chats, not just in rural areas. I even once overheard Southerners say that New York deserves terrorism.

That's really hard core.

Stoker53
02-07-2006, 13:59
My dad lives in the Morning Side Heights section of Manhattan about a stones throw from Broadway/125th street. I have made many visits and find the people of NY City, in general, very pleasant. I do get strange looks when I open doors for women or when I say "yes mam" " no mam" "yes sir" "no sir" to folks.

The rude behavior I've seen is more a function of the pace of life in the city plus the fact that what some southerners view as rude is simply direct and assertive behavior. Which is not typical of the rural south.

We southerners tip toe around each other.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:00
Please. Spare me. What do New Yorkers say about gawking tourists who clog up the busy sidewalks? :rolleyes: And what do they say about rednecks? :-? Like I said, ignorance is everywhere.

You must admit there is a vast difference between New City and Manhaatan. and as 4 the tourists, why isn't a disregard for people around them an issue, or blocking sidewalks when people have to get to work. BUt people are still coming by the thousands everyday to visit New York. Why is it acceotable for tourists to clog up busy sidewalks. Isn't that a disrespectable to the people who live and work there?

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:01

Again, songs.

There is NO question that the south has problem with New York, yes, some New Yorkers are also ignorant and hateful. But there is no comparison. BTW, New City is near Congers, I have alot of family there

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:04
Again, songs.

There is NO question that the south has problem with New York, yes, some New Yorkers are also ignorant and hateful. But there is no comparison. BTW, New City is near Congers, I have alot of family there

By this, I didn't mean that all southerners are ignorant and hateful. I realized how harsh this sounded after I read it:)

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:05
Longshanks has been replaced by the Rev.

Yes, Lone Wolf, it' a vast conspiracy. you hate it so much you keep clicking on the thread and as I remember you were one of the ones who started the bickering. I guess you needn't be replaced by anyone, you are still the same poster with a complusion to read and respond to threads you cannot stand. Maybe you should put your 2 cents in on the "most sexy hike thread" or "buying used gear" Are you this motivated to post on those threads.

dixicritter
02-07-2006, 14:07
Having been born and raised in the south I don't find the things you say Reverend to be based in much fact at all. May I ask when you've lived down here? Or for that matter if you've visited down here for any length of time?

I am a Southern Gal and proud of it, however, as has been stated previously in this monster of a tread... generalizations don't cut it anywhere. I have friends from all walks of life, in all parts of the country and it matters not to me where someone was born, where they live or even what color their skin is... Treat me with respect and dignity and the same will be shown to you.

Just my point of view for what it's worth. :)

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 14:08
Rev. ignore I. Wolf. Don't be baited into bickering, then they'll blame you

dixicritter
02-07-2006, 14:10
Rev. ignore I. Wolf. Don't be baited into bickering, then they'll blame you

Thank you! :)

Lone Wolf
02-07-2006, 14:14
Yes, Lone Wolf, it' a vast conspiracy. you hate it so much you keep clicking on the thread and as I remember you were one of the ones who started the bickering. I guess you needn't be replaced by anyone, you are still the same poster with a complusion to read and respond to threads you cannot stand. Maybe you should put your 2 cents in on the "most sexy hike thread" or "buying used gear" Are you this motivated to post on those threads.
Go back to the beginning kid. No bickering on my end. I've stayed out of it.

TrailReverend
02-07-2006, 14:15
Having been born and raised in the south I don't find the things you say Reverend to be based in much fact at all. May I ask when you've lived down here? Or for that matter if you've visited down here for any length of time?

I am a Southern Gal and proud of it, however, as has been stated previously in this monster of a tread... generalizations don't cut it anywhere. I have friends from all walks of life, in all parts of the country and it matters not to me where someone was born, where they live or even what color their skin is... Treat me with respect and dignity and the same will be shown to you.

Just my point of view for what it's worth. :)

Thanks Dixiecritter. I have visited most Southern States. I didn't live in the South and did't stay for extended periods but in 85% of my extended stays I ran into predjudice, whether it be about the North, blacks, or gays. I have even seen anti-homosexual billboards and signs in the South, surely you've seen these. In the last 2 months I've been everywhere between Jacksonville and Little River, SC. and in the past I've been to TN, VA. You, DixieCritter are the exception if you do not harbour these types of predjudices. It isn;t something I look for when I am in the South, it is something that always seems to make itself known. You must agree that these sentiments are strong in the SOuth, yes eveywhere perhaps but stronger there