PDA

View Full Version : Just 2 more pieces of gear.

zig-zag man
08-25-2017, 23:18
My last 2 big pieces of gear to purchase are a sleeping bag, and a down jacket. I'm seriously liking what I see in the BA Lost Ranger 15* down bag. And it looks like there are many gear items going on sale for the Labor Day weekend, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a puffy jacket at a decent price.

Maineiac64
08-26-2017, 08:07
Yeah, arcteryx is 30% off at REI.

saltysack
08-26-2017, 10:21
Costco $20 down jackets should be in stock soon....my dog likes his but I'll keep my Montbell..[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
08-26-2017, 11:42
Just 2 more!! Ha ha very funny .

Thom

TTT
08-26-2017, 11:53
I have a 650 down fill than seems warmer than a lighter/hooded 800 fill. Am I imagining things or is there an explanation?

AllDownhillFromHere
08-26-2017, 14:03
I have a 650 down fill than seems warmer than a lighter/hooded 800 fill. Am I imagining things or is there an explanation?
Maybe it performs differently in windy conditions?

Mglyon
08-26-2017, 14:28
I love my Montbell hooded jacket, too! Incredible warmth to weight ratio. It is my understanding they use unicorn fur to accomplish this feat. I was assured no unicorns were harmed in the making of my jacket though.

DrL
08-26-2017, 17:16
Patagonia ultralight down jackets and hoodies are on sale right now. About 50% off, at a variety of sites.

Martzy13
08-26-2017, 17:46
I heard nothing but bad words on the Trail about Big Agnes sleeping bags. Not trying to be a negative nully, it truly was the concensus.

Time Zone
08-26-2017, 17:53

Possibilities:

a) more ounces of down in the 650 than the 800, enough to make up for the difference in loft potential
b) the 800 cannot fully loft because of excessive sewn-through stitching (no baffling), which creates cold spots regardless
c) ambient humidity is reducing the ability of the 800 fill to fully loft, making it less effective than the 650 (which is also affected but less so overall)

Ethesis
08-26-2017, 20:06
Costco $20 down jackets should be in stock soon....my dog likes his but I'll keep my Montbell..[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19.99 today. Four colors. Wife decided to check her gear closet before buying for herself or the cats.

DownEaster
08-26-2017, 20:51
I heard nothing but bad words on the Trail about Big Agnes sleeping bags. Not trying to be a negative nully, it truly was the concensus.
Could be the bellows effect pumping warm air out and cold air into the bags. Big Agnes bags include a pocket for your inflated sleeping pad, which makes the whole affair a somewhat stiff rectangle. It's great to keep the bag from sliding off the pad in the night, but if you move your legs you'll flap the assemblage like a bellows. Lots of people object to sudden temperature changes while they're trying to sleep.

blw2
08-26-2017, 20:57
I think this points to a question...perhaps for the OP, but certainly for me.....
what sort of fill do most folks find that they need in a puffy? (assuming AT)
I'm actually wondering if I even need to concern myself with one. While I might plan a hike up in GA mountains for spring break, most likely it will be June or July...

DownEaster
08-26-2017, 21:29
what sort of fill do most folks find that they need in a puffy? (assuming AT)
Couldn't say, as I refuse to carry down on the AT. I've tried my L.L. Bean puffy jacket (polyester fill) in the rain, and it still kept me moderately warm. Wet down doesn't do anything but make you miserable.

I'm actually wondering if I even need to concern myself with one. While I might plan a hike up in GA mountains for spring break, most likely it will be June or July...
Are you still planning to carry a sleeping bag? If so, you should still plan to carry a puffy jacket. They're both there to insulate you from the prevailing temperatures in camp. Now, you could spend zero time relaxing in camp before diving into your sleeping bag, but most people find it's convenient to have some insulation to wear as they set up their tent, make a meal, and unwind after a day of hiking.

capehiker
08-27-2017, 01:52
I have a few down jackets and I always go to my Uniqlo UL down jacket. It's a budget jacket that has received good praise over the past few years. I have owned 2 for 4 years and they are still performing outstanding.