PDA

View Full Version : Packing as a thru hiking couple?

domromer
08-26-2017, 17:38
For those hikers that thru hiked as a couple, what did you each carry and what did you only carry one of?

The Solemates
08-26-2017, 17:41
1 tent
1 filter
1 pot
1 stove
1 sleeping bag in summer

garlic08
08-26-2017, 18:58
We had our own bags (completely different thermostats) but otherwise same as above for a PCT thru.

We did have one scare when we separated by accident late one day, so you'd be advised to carry an emergency bivy too (we did). Make sure each carries some of the food that doesn't require cooking. Two sets of maps wouldn't be out of line, though we didn't do that.

IslandPete
08-27-2017, 12:56
One tent, double sleeping pad, quilt, stove/pot. We each carried a filter, food bag, clothing bag.

AllDownhillFromHere
08-27-2017, 16:15
Probably should split up the condoms.

bigcranky
08-28-2017, 07:58
We share a tent, a cook kit, and water filtration. Lately we've also been sharing a two-person pad and quilt, though I'm not sure how well that will work for us on a long hike if we ever had to split up to sleep in shelter bunks for some reason. But it works great in our tent.

We have our own clothing and personal items. Each of us carries a food bag.

Malto
08-28-2017, 10:38
It really depends on what a couple might be. If there is ANY doubt about whether both will finish together carry everything separate. I actually think this is a good idea anyway unless you are planning to hike within close proximity of each other constantly. I "lost" my hiking hiking partner twice and we camped separately on my thru hike. That would have been interesting had we not both been self sufficient.

egilbe
08-28-2017, 13:00
We share a tent, a cook kit, and water filtration. Lately we've also been sharing a two-person pad and quilt, though I'm not sure how well that will work for us on a long hike if we ever had to split up to sleep in shelter bunks for some reason. But it works great in our tent.

We have our own clothing and personal items. Each of us carries a food bag.

when in doubt, we sleep in the tent. Away from a shelter. Its more peaceful and private.

bigcranky
08-28-2017, 21:26
when in doubt, we sleep in the tent. Away from a shelter. Its more peaceful and private.

Of course, us too. But sometimes that's not possible - we had to stay in a couple of shelters on the northern end of the LT, for example - no place nearby to tent due to terrain (and not legal in many spots up there). As it turned out we'd have been fine with the double setup, but I've seen shelters where that wouldn't work.

gravityman
08-29-2017, 14:12
What double sleeping pad? Lighter than 2 x neo air?

KDogg
08-29-2017, 14:30
You will be happier with two filters. One means you will be filtering twice as long as everybody else every time you stop for water. Sawyer filters are not that heavy and having two is good for backup too.

bigcranky
08-29-2017, 14:51
What double sleeping pad? Lighter than 2 x neo air?

Exped Hyperlight Duo. Weighs ~30 ounces with the optional bag inflator, which I don't think is optional :)

My wife has the Neoair Xtherm, which is 15 oz, and my Neoair is 11 oz, so the Exped Duo is about 4 ounces heavier. For us it's worth the extra weight: it's far more comfortable than two separate pads, for one thing, and with a 2-person quilt she stays a lot warmer than she would in her own bag (by stealing my heat, of course, but that's another discussion :) ).

Engine
08-29-2017, 16:25
Community gear:

I carried,

Tent
Groundsheet
Water filter
2L Water bladder
1st aid kit

Caboose carried,

Stove
Pot
Fuel cannister
Another 2L water bladder
Repair kit

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

egilbe
08-29-2017, 18:12
Exped Hyperlight Duo. Weighs ~30 ounces with the optional bag inflator, which I don't think is optional :)

My wife has the Neoair Xtherm, which is 15 oz, and my Neoair is 11 oz, so the Exped Duo is about 4 ounces heavier. For us it's worth the extra weight: it's far more comfortable than two separate pads, for one thing, and with a 2-person quilt she stays a lot warmer than she would in her own bag (by stealing my heat, of course, but that's another discussion :) ).

I use a Schnozzle bag. Her side sprung a slow leak I cant find. My side is fine.

bigcranky
08-29-2017, 21:33
I use a Schnozzle bag. Her side sprung a slow leak I cant find. My side is fine.

I guess you're trading sides? :)

For the price of the Exped Duo I'd be unhappy with a leak I couldn't find. Hope you can fix it.