PDA

View Full Version : Money/ID business

6's and 7's
02-03-2006, 13:34
I'm planning a through hike for this year and had a nasty dream last night that I left my pack somewhere for like 3 seconds and when I came back it was gone and- well it got crazy and irrelevant after that but it made me think again about what I was doing about Money/ID matters. I was planning on carrying around 10-20 dollars in cash or my ATM card, my credit card, and some kind of photo ID, I guess my drivers license.

What have you carried or what are you planning on carrying?

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 13:35
I carried a small fanny pack and kept all my money and ID there. That way when I took off my pack those things were always with me.

'Slogger

Moxie00
02-03-2006, 14:51
I bought a cheap plastic hikers wallet in Erwin and sent my real one home. I kept a phone card, and atm card, another credit card and cash in it. I carried it in a zipper pocket in my shorts. My wife bought a hikers wallet from all places AAA and wears it around her neck, A drivers licence is another thing you should have with you for identification and in case you have to rent a car in an emergency. I had a $20 bill folded up deep in my pack in case I lost the wallet. Try to remember to also carry at least $2.00 in change because at a road crossing or closed business you will encounter a soda machine and no one will be around to make change. This happened to me only once, then I learned my lesson.

schda
02-03-2006, 15:15
A trick that was lightweight and small that I used while travelling in europe might help.

If you or someone you know has recently purchased a wallet it probably came with one of those clear plastic addons that are used to put pictures in. Get ahold of one of those, you can put your ID in one slot, your ATM card in another, your credit card in another and have a small spot for cash in the last one. It worked like a charm, hardly adds any weight, and it's small enough to always keep on you.

I guess I'm not sure what a Hiker's Wallet is, it could be about the same thing.

Chef2000
02-03-2006, 15:47
ATM card, credit card , license(for PO especially) and enough cash for my next town stop in a heavy duty ziploc. Sometimes an ATM might not work, might to be to far from hotel/hostel. So I get enough cash when I am At an atm.

Wait until you are on the trail a bit and have the dream that you are back home. I had it so bad on my first LDH I was panicking in my dream because I was suppose to be in my tent in GA asleep. I forced my awake and realized I was.

lobster
02-03-2006, 16:03
I never move without my fanny pack. When hiking it's in my pack, but when I put my pack down and go anywhere, I take it with me with all the important money and IDs inside. That includes going to the shower at hostels, to the privy at shelters, etc. I just don't take chances.

Chickety
02-03-2006, 16:09
carried my license, atm card, pre-paid phone cards, insurance card (while I was covered) and cash in a ziploc bag in the back pocket of my 1 pair of shorts, they were always on me or in my sleeping bag while I slept. Always had atleast $100 on me in cash because lots of places only took cash and I didn't want to be short.

Seeker
02-03-2006, 17:37
A trick that was lightweight and small that I used while travelling in europe might help.

If you or someone you know has recently purchased a wallet it probably came with one of those clear plastic addons that are used to put pictures in. Get ahold of one of those, you can put your ID in one slot, your ATM card in another, your credit card in another and have a small spot for cash in the last one. It worked like a charm, hardly adds any weight, and it's small enough to always keep on you.

I guess I'm not sure what a Hiker's Wallet is, it could be about the same thing.

i was at Claire's (young teen/pre-teen jewalry and stuff store in most malls) with my daughter the other day, and they sell those picture holders in a display right there at the register.

a hiker's wallet is a small pouch, about 3 x 5, with a zipper on top and often a clear front. looks like a change purse, or a small pencil bag. there is a string that goes from one side of the top to the other, about 30" long. when you hang it around your neck, it's right on your chest, so you can safely keep it under your shirt and out of the way.

Peaks
02-03-2006, 17:59
i was at Claire's (young teen/pre-teen jewalry and stuff store in most malls) with my daughter the other day, and they sell those picture holders in a display right there at the register.

a hiker's wallet is a small pouch, about 3 x 5, with a zipper on top and often a clear front. looks like a change purse, or a small pencil bag. there is a string that goes from one side of the top to the other, about 30" long. when you hang it around your neck, it's right on your chest, so you can safely keep it under your shirt and out of the way.

What you are describing is a neck hanging name badge or wallet. ALDHA used them at the 2002 Gathering and ATC conference in 2001.

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 18:04
[quote=Seeker]a hiker's wallet is a small pouch, about 3 x 5, with a zipper on top and often a clear front. looks like a change purse, or a small pencil bag.
==================================
The one I use is sold at REI (and probably other outdoor stores as well). They carry 2 styles. One is an end loading clear vinyl which is just the right size for a credit card or drivers license. There is a "ziplock" type closure to keep things dry and from falling out.

The other one (and the one I use) is a fold-over style clear vinyl. You have 2 sides to insert cards/cash in and both sides have the same "ziplock" type closure.

I liked them so much that I am still using one as my every day wallet several years after my thru. They cost around $3 and last quite a while. Whenever I'm near an REI I generally buy another one and keep in the night stand as a replacement.

'Slogger

StarLyte
02-03-2006, 18:06
I always keep a plastic sleeve on a thin hemp rope around my neck-it stays dry and everything fits in there perfect, and it's weightless.
Marsha

LostInSpace
02-03-2006, 21:52
I use a 4" x 6" ALOKSAK. "Patented LEAKPROOF/AIRTIGHT" Ziplocs have leaked for me.

sarbar
02-03-2006, 22:42
[quote=Seeker]

The other one (and the one I use) is a fold-over style clear vinyl. You have 2 sides to insert cards/cash in and both sides have the same "ziplock" type closure.

I liked them so much that I am still using one as my every day wallet several years after my thru. They cost around $3 and last quite a while. Whenever I'm near an REI I generally buy another one and keep in the night stand as a replacement.

'Slogger

That is what I use. I can carry my ID, my son's ID, CC's, debit card, phone card, and list of phone numbers I need. I use it in my regular wallet day to day, as I just grab it, stuff my cards in and go. I carry this in my side pocket on my pant leg, in a ziploc bag. I also carry my CPL card and my idenity paperwork, that are both laminated. (My identity was used by another female when I was 18 for a criminal case. I have to carry paperwork that contains my fingerprints, the criminal casework #'s and is legal paperwork that let's just say is my 'get out of jail" card. I carry this with me no matter where I go! Since I carry a handgun many times when I hike-carrying my legal paperwork is an absoulte...as the petty criminal that stole my name is banned from owning guns.)
All of this stuff is piled into a quart freezer bag, and stuck in my pants pocket. It never leaves my body! I leave nothing in my pack or tent to say who I am.
Oh yeah, and I forget, I also carry my car registration/insurance card with me. Yeah, I am THAT paranoid :(

mweinstone
02-03-2006, 22:55
i take no precautions.i dont care if my stuff gets stolen and i dont prepare for it. if all my cards,id, and cash and mac card get stolen, with some phone calls at the next town ill cancel the cards and call amex for emergency money. only harm to me will be a small amount of cash and the trouble of finding a phone and a western union office or similar such place.maby i would lose a day or two but the chances are soooooo remote and the feeling of ,trusting in mans goodness feels good. i never hate a theif and i always pray for their soul.

Panzer1
02-03-2006, 23:24
I always start of with $400 in cash, credit card, ATM card.
For ID I have drivers license, iauto nsurance card.
Also health insurance card.
Carried in a light weight wallet.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-03-2006, 23:43
I never move without my fanny pack. When hiking it's in my pack, but when I put my pack down and go anywhere, I take it with me with all the important money and IDs inside. That includes going to the shower at hostels, to the privy at shelters, etc. I just don't take chances.

Yea, I do the fanny pack thing too. It's also good for going into stores where you have to leave your pack by the door. Besides money and ID I also put in small high value things like swiss army knife, MP3 player, camera, phone, head light.

Panzer

sarbar
02-04-2006, 12:06
i take no precautions.i dont care if my stuff gets stolen and i dont prepare for it. if all my cards,id, and cash and mac card get stolen, with some phone calls at the next town ill cancel the cards and call amex for emergency money. only harm to me will be a small amount of cash and the trouble of finding a phone and a western union office or similar such place.maby i would lose a day or two but the chances are soooooo remote and the feeling of ,trusting in mans goodness feels good. i never hate a theif and i always pray for their soul.

Your either a troll or the most clueless 44 year old around :rolleyes:
I believe in the goodness of people...but always keep an eye peeled. Trust me, your ID gets lifted, you'll be worried. Unless of course your credit rating is sooo bad the thief comes back and gives you your ID back :-?
Then again, where I live, car bashings are extremely common-and all the theives are looking for is ID!

mweinstone
02-04-2006, 15:38
my identity isnt worth bean soup. i have revolving ,unsecured credit cards. that means every bank knows im broke and without colateral. so steal me. do me a favor.and trusting in god means not caring about such things. when were dead were not gonna care.the love of money etc.

saimyoji
02-04-2006, 16:22
Why would a monkey need ID?

saimyoji
02-04-2006, 16:23
OOOPS!

Went back and read the posts.....sorry about that, I misread the title. :o

Doctari
02-04-2006, 17:01
I carry: Drivers lic. Medical insurance card, any money/travelers checks, Phone card(s), Phone numbers in a snack size zip lock (ie; my wallet) that & camera (in a zip lock) go in a small "fanny pack" that conveniently fits on my pack. Takes no effort to grab when I put down my pack, & is a must carry as I don't have a pocket on my kilt (anymore) so can't carry anything that way. And, even tho my "town shorts" have pockets, I still prefer the fanny pack.

Doctari.