PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah---Fall trip

tawa
08-28-2017, 21:37
Would like to hike Shenandoah this fall but have questions.

How many days for an average hiker? Whats the terrain like on that section??

Are permits required? Are there shelters and if so must you camp only there?

How and where would you resupply at.

What are the closest bus drops/stations on each end and are shuttles available>

Maybe it would just be easier to tell me your experiences on hiking this section. Lessons learned.

Would Sept or October be better for this section?

Thanks for your help.

Hollywood44
08-28-2017, 22:01
I'm doing this in late october....plenty of shelters..its short enough you don't need a resupply...plenty of shuttles and real close to DC to ober in...

X-Pat
08-28-2017, 22:08
- between 10 and 15 days, depending on your daily average. Hiking is not too demanding. Still somewhat rocky and steep in places, but not too challenging.
- (free) registration is required. there are self-registration booths at the north and south park border, right on the trail.
- there are shelters at the usual intervals, you don't have to stay at them, but the terrain and regulations regarding required distances to structures, roadways and to the trail make it complicated to not stay at the shelters. BTW - "at the shelters" does not mean "in the shelters". All the huts have decent campsites directly adjacent.
- We hiked through the park without ever leaving the park for resupply. You can easily stretch your supplies by eating at the waysides. You can also resupply there, if you're not too demanding.
- Not sure about bus stops at Waynesboro (southern end) or Front Royal (northern end), but shuttles are available at both.
- We (my son and I) had a great time hiking through the park this June. Met a lot of other hikers, saw plenty of wildlife, incl. a bear.
- Weatherwise, it's a crapshoot. Could be great, could be raining the whole time in either September or October.

Hope you'll have a great time. Have fun.

MuddyWaters
08-28-2017, 22:46
Would like to hike Shenandoah this fall but have questions.

How many days for an average hiker? Whats the terrain like on that section??

Are permits required? Are there shelters and if so must you camp only there?

How and where would you resupply at.

What are the closest bus drops/stations on each end and are shuttles available>

Maybe it would just be easier to tell me your experiences on hiking this section. Lessons learned.

Would Sept or October be better for this section?

Thanks for your help.
Mid oct to mid nov. Try to hit peak of leaf color change,prob first week nov. Depends on temps and rainfall, slightly different every yr.

Plan to stay only at huts due to distance restrictions from huts and road for camping. Visit SNP website for details. They have sample itinerarys.

Water can be issue on ridgeline sometimes. Theres one notorious drystretch. Plan for it. Visit SNP website for details.

North half easier than south. If plan to hit waysides, know closing date in Nov.
South half, really normal AT. No big climbs but up/down adds up over a day to normal amount. Northern is flatter.

You get a self clearing permit at entrance box and attach to pack. Nothing else required.

Your average hiker isnt necessarilly someone elses. Hut spacing impacts daily mileage, it must be planned out around that. Resupply will affect it if do that, but most dont need to, especially with waysides.

Id say an average 12 mpd hiker on most of AT, can do it in 8-9 days, carrying 5 days food and eating/minor resupply at waysides, campground stores, skyland, etc.

Odd Man Out
08-28-2017, 23:22
Be advised that the last time the government failed to fund itself, the park was closed to everyone, including back country hikers. I suggest the best month to hike is the one the governments isn't shutting down. Good luck with that.

Here is the NPS website for back country camping in SNP.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc.htm
(https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc.htm)
Here is the NPS website with a brochure on their back country regulations. You will see that you are NOT required to sleep in or at the shelters, however there are restrictions on where dispersed camping is allowed.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_Backcountry_Camping_brochure.pdf

A free permit is required. I got mine in advance by mail. You can also get them at the park.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm

A year ago I hiked the 40 miles from Compton Gap to Big Meadows in 2 1/2 days. I don't know if I'm "average". I tented two nights (not by a shelter). The trail is great. It has a reputation of being "easy" by AT standards, but I think that is the perspective of a seasoned thru hiker. As an out of shape section hiker, I did find some of the climbs pretty tough. Be advised that if planning on tenting, there will be long stretches where there are no good or legal tent sites. Don't wait until the last minute and assume a good tent spot will be where you want it. But I found two great spots on my hike. I did use the shelters for breaks and meals. I recommend bringing some extra coffee (Starbucks Via) and make coffee for everyone sheltering from the rain. Great way to make friends.

My hike was pretty short so I didn't have to worry about resupply. The lodges and waysides are open until November and offers some supplies.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Public transportation and shuttles are available at the southern end of the park at Waynesboro. Last time I looked there isn't any public transport at the north end (Front Royal). You might need to use a shuttle there, or just keep walking to Harper's Ferry. The ATC keeps this list.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/transportation-options

This guy had his butt parked right on the trail just north of Thronton Gap and wan't moving for anything. I had to bushwhack around him.

dmax
08-29-2017, 00:12
I'm headed out there the second week in oct. for a couple of days of paddling on the Shenandoah River, then to the park for three days of hiking. ... Sorry this didn't answer any of your questions. You just got me excited about our trip. Have Fun!!

tawa
08-30-2017, 09:35
Want to thank each of you for the time you spend in giving me all the information and advice above! So grateful to have a place like Whiteblaze to get solid advice.
Now plan on hiking Shenandoah the last week of Sept into the first week of October.
Which direction would you suggest is the better option --NOBO?SOBO?

Still wondering about getting into/out of the North end upon start or completion.
Would Grayhound or Mega bus go near this point. Anyone else possibly heading to this area during this period .
Would be traveling from Southern Indiana>
Thanks again>

Gambit McCrae
08-30-2017, 16:22
My info is in regards to if you are driving a personal vehicle...

Contact staminal in Waynesboro, VA. Park your car at Rockfish gap, and get him to drive you to front royal. Hike south back to your car.
I hiked the park at a leisurely pace and completed it in 5.5 days. No need to resupply, but you can take advantage of the campground stores, lodges/ restaurants, and waysides for food supplements. You WILL see bears in the park, so keep an eye open for them. I was bluff charged in southern SNP, but stood my ground and changed my britches after.

Check out Mings Chinese in Waynesboro after your trip.

40183 40184 40185 40186 40187

tawa
08-30-2017, 20:59
Thanks Gambit. I like that option.

SkeeterPee
08-30-2017, 22:58
My brother and I are planning to start in Harpers Ferry and head south through the rollercoaster and into the park in this same time frame. Probably late Oct/early nov. We'll each have a car and can probably park one 4 days in and resupply ourselves. Are there lots of good lots for parking? Will places still be open to pick up lunch along the way or resupply a few items. Not planning to go into town at all.

chknfngrs
08-31-2017, 07:30
I think park facilities start shutting down October/November so don't count on the waysides for that milkshake and beer. Check nps.gov

johnnybgood
08-31-2017, 11:33
Here's what you're asking about ; www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit) , Go to "plan your visit", click basic info, then scroll down to operating hours and seasons.

Looks like you're in luck. Big Meadows Wayside open till Nov.12th

tawa
08-31-2017, 19:12
Thanks for the information.
Will they let you leave your vehicle when you start--either north or south??
Your thoughts on driving my vehicle inside the part and leaving it somewhere near the halfway mark. Then call for a shuttle to take me back to the north entrance?

johnnybgood
08-31-2017, 19:39
Thanks for the information.
Will they let you leave your vehicle when you start--either north or south??
Your thoughts on driving my vehicle inside the part and leaving it somewhere near the halfway mark. Then call for a shuttle to take me back to the north entrance?

I have left a car at Rockfish Gap, at the visitors information center just outside the park boundary without issue. I have left a car at the 4-H center, www.nova4h.com/ (http://www.nova4h.com/) outside the park at the southern end and I've left a car in the parking lot at the Byrd Visitor Center at Big Meadows, all without incident.
At the locations I've mentioned above it would behoove you to talk with someone and the 4-H center requires a waiver to be completed.